PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

I dont like the idea of adding another first round or early second round (if we trade back) DB. I think the last thing we need back there is more youth. I hope we can fill the SS position through FA and use our early picks towards an OT/DT/DE (can never have enough).

In hindsight I wish we had drafted Kendall Reyes or Lavonte David with the Tavon pick which would allow us to use that high pick on a guy like Elam.

With that said, if BB sees the value in taking Elam high, then so be it. The Vollmer situation will really dictate this. Do you thin 5 OTs will be off the board before we pick? Those 5 being Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Lewan and Mathews.

Im also really intrigued by Logan Ryan who may be a great value pick in the 3rd if he lasts. He looked great in his bowl game and we've had some luck with Rutgers DBs.

I haven't seen Lane Johnson rated that high. I'd sign Vollmer. When healthy, he plays at a pro bowl level. We already have a solid backup if he misses a couple of games. Agree about the number of db's we blown picks on. I loved David. Just didn't think we'd switch to the 4-3. I think that type of lb is still a need.

For the first round, assuming we re-sign Talib, Welker and Vollmer, I'm saying: one of (not in order):

J Hankins
Z Ansah
J Cooper
J Williams
T Austin
A Ogletree
R Woods?
D Thomas?

or trade down

As much as I like J Williams, I dont think he is what we need. We have a small window with Brady at the helm and while Williams would be a great VW replacement, we need an interior rush presence not another run stuffer.

I would love to add Tavon or Woods but not at the expense of a 1st round pick. Depth and development of a young burner would be nice but theyd be the 5th or 6th option. I think our resources are better off spent elsewhere and getting a guy like Patton, Bailey, or Wheaton later on in the draft. Maybe even a guy like Dobson.

I dont know much about Ogletree so I cant really comment. Are there any good options for a coverage backer later in the draft?

Hankins, Ziggy, Cooper and one of the top 5 OTs are worth a pick here. Not sure any will be available. If nothings here, trade back seeing as how the talent level between 25 and 50 is very close.

Last edited:
As much as I like J Williams, I dont think he is what we need. We have a small window with Brady at the helm and while Williams would be a great VW replacement, we need an interior rush presence not another run stuffer.

I would love to add Tavon or Woods but not at the expense of a 1st round pick. Depth and development of a young burner would be nice but theyd be the 5th or 6th option. I think our resources are better off spent elsewhere and getting a guy like Patton, Bailey, or Wheaton later on in the draft. Maybe even a guy like Dobson.

I dont know much about Ogletree so I cant really comment. Are there any good options for a coverage backer later in the draft?

Hankins, Ziggy, Cooper and one of the top 5 OTs are worth a pick here. Not sure any will be available. If nothings here, trade back seeing as how the talent between 25 and 50 is very marginal.

1. Jesse Williams - I have him because he's potentially elite at what he does, namely stopping the run. If a potentially elite player is there, I think it's folly too ignore that personally.

2. Tavon Austin is a perfect fit for what we do on offense and Robert Woods could be. That's why I have them as potential first rounders. I really like Patton, Bailey and Wheaton too but they will probably take longer to get in to the offense. I can see Austin and Woods getting heavy use early (particularly if Welker or Edelman aren't re-upped).

3. As for coverage LB's, I really like Jake Knott at Iowa State who should be a 4th to 5th rounder. The draft is very good for coverage LB's but Ogletree has an elite blend of size and speed. He led Georgia in tackles despite missing the first four games of the season. Outstanding player.

4. Cooper and Ansah are my #1 and #2 choices for our first pick but if we go deep in to the playoffs, they'll most likely be gone.

As much as you guys like Matt Elam (and I like him too), Tony Jefferson is an awesome prospect. Best feel for the game of anyone in this draft class. Everything comes easily to him; fundamentals, coverage schemes, etc. Maybe the most impressive thing; delivers tons of hard hits without ever, ever getting penalized. He's a great player.

One more: Jahleel Addae out of CMU. Very quick, very tough. Reminds me of one of my old sleepers that never got a chance, Johnny Brown

As much as you guys like Matt Elam (and I like him too), Tony Jefferson is an awesome prospect. Best feel for the game of anyone in this draft class. Everything comes easily to him; fundamentals, coverage schemes, etc. Maybe the most impressive thing; delivers tons of hard hits without ever, ever getting penalized. He's a great player.

One more: Jahleel Addae out of CMU. Very quick, very tough. Reminds me of one of my old sleepers that never got a chance, Johnny Brown

Except tackling Tavon Austin :)

Either Stefphon Jefferson has declared, or some agent messed up with her client's name in a tweet.

Anybody know anything about Rashad Ross, WR Arizona State? He had a monster game today (vs Navy) 4 for 139 with 3 TDs. Not bad for the 89th ranked WR at CBS.
All I know is that he's been invited to the combine.

One impressive thing is before his first (of two) 50 yard TDs he had the coverage beat again and was tackled well before the ball got there. It could have easily been a 5 for 190 day.

Next level speed and adequate size for sure. There's not much information to gather from the 4 catches. I guess he's been clocked at 4.37.

I really like what I'm seeing from Clemson's WR Deandre Hopkins (6'1", 200#) in tonight's LSU/Clemson bowl game. However, he's a junior, so he may not come out.

LSU S Eric Reid is also looking pretty studly tonight but he was already on my radar.

Last edited:
I really like what I'm seeing from Clemson's WR Deandre Hopkins (6'1", 200#) in tonight's LSU/Clemson bowl game. However, he's a junior, so he may not come out.

LSU S Eric Reid is also looking pretty studly tonight but he was already on my radar.

Hopkins has been outstanding. Mingo is cementing himself as a top 5 pick. If I'm KC, I'm considering him for #1 overall. Unreal athleticism.

Hopkins has been outstanding. Mingo is cementing himself as a top 5 pick. If I'm KC, I'm considering him for #1 overall. Unreal athleticism.

Oh yeah. If Kevin Minter declares, lock him in to the Ravens. Ready made Ray Lewis replacement.

I really like what I'm seeing from WR Deandre Hopkins (6'1", 200#), Clemson in tonight's LSU/Clemson bowl game. However, he's a junior so he may not come out.

On Edit: Manx cited a tweet saying Hopkins is declaring. :)

He's declaring. Check the previous page.

Trade Hali?

He's declaring. Check the previous page.

Trade Hali?

Hmmmm. Maybe use Mingo as incentive to trade out. He's bustin' it tonight. So fast!

You're in for a treat when you come to watch it. Great game.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back