PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Ok, so upgrading the O-line wouldnt make us more likely to succeed?:rolleyes:

Obviously it would.

But upgrading a championship caliber offense (how much can you really upgrade something that is top 3 already?) does not present the same opportunity for marginal improvement as upgrading a struggling defense.

Football is a team game, and no team wins the big game without both units doing their part. Its no coincidence that the Manning's lone ring came when the Colts defense rose up and carried the team. Or that we won in 01/03/04 but lost in 07/11. It was special teams and a pick six that turned the tide for Drew Brees. Offense alone can only get you so far.

Obviously it would.

But upgrading a championship caliber offense (how much can you really upgrade something that is top 3 already?) does not present the same opportunity for marginal improvement as upgrading a struggling defense.

Football is a team game, and no team wins the big game without both units doing their part. Its no coincidence that the Manning's lone ring came when the Colts defense rose up and carried the team. Or that we won in 01/03/04 but lost in 07/11. It was special teams and a pick six that turned the tide for Drew Brees. Offense alone can only get you so far.

It's an offense with some big cracks, my concern is how the offense can perform in the post-season, and we've seen the offense fail to put even good numbers in the playoffs recently.

I think having a stud on the line like DeCastro would have given us a nice boost in the regular season and an excellent boost in the post-season.

Obviously it would.

A number of people have eloquently expressed the idea that if we are going to win any more SBs in the Brady-BB era, it will probably require us to continue having a top 3-5 offense. Improved defensive balance would obviously be a huge plus and should continue to be a target of investment, but that doesn't mean that the offense should be ignored just because it's good right now. As we found with the defense around 2005, age and attrition catch up to players quickly in the NFL, and there are certainly some long term issues to address on the OL and at receiver. Investing in those positions before the offense takes a significant hit (and Brady takes too many hits) is prudent. I tend to be a "defense first" guy, but if a player is good value at a position worth upgrading, then in general that player should get serious consideration regardless of which side of the ball he plays on. It would be a painful irony if the defense starts to gel right as the offense starts to decline.

Last edited:
So I assume that means you would pass on Ziggy Ansah if Jonathan Cooper is on the board this year? :D

I'd be a bit tempted, but I actually think we can beef up the line a lot a tad later in the draft, I'm thinking with Kyle Long, Brian Winters, and some late round talent like Garrett Gilkey, Dave Quessenberry, and Terron Armstead we can have an awesome starting line with incredible depth. There are several unknowns in the equation, like Vollmer, whether Mankins and/or Thomas can play on the right, and Cannon in general.

Here's a YouTube of Boise ST CB Jamar Taylor updated with his standout performance in the Maaco Bowl against Washington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t6aX8S1VPU

Pa2BJ.AuSt.36.jpeg

Surprised we haven't heard more of him in this process.

I'm not very good at player comps, but does he put anyone else in mind of Dennard? Very physical, challenges the receiver, probably better with the play in front of him.

Like him a lot.

Surprised we haven't heard more of him in this process.

I'm not very good at player comps, but does he put anyone else in mind of Dennard? Very physical, challenges the receiver, probably better with the play in front of him.

Like him a lot.

He's been discussed a bit in the "Secondary Help" thread. FWIW, Drew Boylhart from the Huddle Report loves Taylor and rates him as a 1st round talent at either S or CB, noting "Jamar is the type of player the Patriots might draft because of his tackling skills and football intelligence -- which explains why they continue to be one of the better teams in the league. That and Tom Brady."

You've got some very nice names there, a lot of whom are on my want list.

Mine too. Taylor's interesting. No strength and weak against the run, but can cover anybody, and that's obviously a big thing for a corner.

He's been discussed a bit in the "Secondary Help" thread. FWIW, Drew Boylhart from the Huddle Report loves Taylor and rates him as a 1st round talent at either S or CB, noting "Jamar is the type of player the Patriots might draft because of his tackling skills and football intelligence -- which explains why they continue to be one of the better teams in the league. That and Tom Brady."

Interesting you say that because I was watching him and thinking he looks like he could move to safety.

Interesting you say that because I was watching him and thinking he looks like he could move to safety.

As many people predicted Dennard would. The idea of getting another Dennard-type player would be very, very intriguing. I've sort of lumped him in with Dexter McCoil and Sheldon Price as my sleeper DB picks.

Really liking how disciplined this Beavers defense is.

Anybody know anything about Rashad Ross, WR Arizona State? He had a monster game today (vs Navy) 4 for 139 with 3 TDs. Not bad for the 89th ranked WR at CBS.

Shoot. I was going to start looking at him as a later round option in the Poinsettia Bowl tonight.

I swear, he's the next Miles Austin. Phenomenal route runner with good hands and leaping ability, to go along with solid speed.

Mine too. Taylor's interesting. No strength and weak against the run, but can cover anybody, and that's obviously a big thing for a corner.

He did a decent job of run support in the Maaco Bowl. He actually got some props for it from the commentators.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pinstripe Bowl? WVU could not deal with the elements. Geno Smith wasn't spectacular. I don't know how confident I would be drafting him No. 1. Given the field conditions Tavon Austin didn't really get a chance to get showcase his skill set.

Anybody know anything about Rashad Ross, WR Arizona State? He had a monster game today (vs Navy) 4 for 139 with 3 TDs. Not bad for the 89th ranked WR at CBS.

All I know is that he's been invited to the combine.

I swear, he's the next Miles Austin. Phenomenal route runner with good hands and leaping ability, to go along with solid speed.

I see Hoffman as the ideal Brandon Lloyd replacement. Quite like the fact that he's returned - will be on my early list for next year. Another of those 'good fundamentals' guys I like.

As many people predicted Dennard would. The idea of getting another Dennard-type player would be very, very intriguing. I've sort of lumped him in with Dexter McCoil and Sheldon Price as my sleeper DB picks.

After Dennard had such a bad Senior Bowl, I saw a move to safety as a possibility for him. Do you agree with me that Taylor and Dennard are similar or am I off in that regard?

After Dennard had such a bad Senior Bowl, I saw a move to safety as a possibility for him. Do you agree with me that Taylor and Dennard are similar or am I off in that regard?

No, I like the comparison. It hadn't occurred to me, but I like it. :eat3:

After watching the Texas OSU game last night I was dissapointed in Vaccaro.

He flies around and plays with good energy but didnt maintain gap control in the run game, had an awful personal foul where he slapped an OSU player with the right and finished with the left, he was pretty good in the slot in man coverage, had good instincts but I did not notice him playing the deep part of the field at all. I dont think he's really what the team needs.

Wheaton didnt really get a chance to showcase his skill set because the quarterback play was terrible but he sure does look good with the ball in his hands. Hes a playmaker but wish we could have seen him run some more routes rather than speed sweeps.

Okafor will see his stock rise after last night. The Texas front 4 dominated the OL in one vs one battles. Credit must be given where its due but I think lots of blame needs to be put on the OSU line.

What did you guys think?

Also, I would love to look more at the TCU defense. Theyre disciplined, aggressive and great tacklers. They fly around and look to create turnovers. I loved what I saw from them. They were worn down a bit late by the big, bruising MSU OL and Le'veon Bell but early on they were dominant even if they are undersized. Any players you guys liked?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back