PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texas vs The Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the response from the people in charge of the T v N game:
"The NFL National scouting reps are the ones who did weigh in and measures. They kept all those numbers so you would have to contact them to obtain that info"

Garbage.

Ahhh....Texas Vs. Nation game. I haven't got in my draft mode yet but I do know about two of the guys real well. Rusty Smith & Jason Harmon. While Frantz Joseph was the defensive star of this game last year it still did not help him get drafted or stick with a team as he was cut by Oakland in training camp. Now he's in the CFL with Edmonton.

Rusty Smith is 6'5 and 230 lbs, prototypical size for the pro's and played for Howard Schnellenbeger (same guy who developed Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar at UM). Also, played in a pro-style offense since he became a starter his sophmore year. Rusty has every passing record here at FAU although we've only had a team since 2001. But, he was instrumental in leading FAU to it's first ever bowl berth and win in 2007. So, it's disheartening to read his struggles so far at practices. The only thing I can think of is possibly lingering issues with his injured shoulder that cut his senior season short. Another obstacle is his Rivers/Kosar type delivery style which could scare away teams because of how low he releases it.

Prediction: UDFA- Invited to some camps but most likely cut and perhaps a spot on a practice squad depending if a team's QB coach is really willing to develop him.

Jason Harmon TE- This is an interesting case. 6'3 215 lbs. Harmon really isn't your typical TE, the way FAU uses TE's is like putting an extra WR on the field, so he has very limited blocking skills as we have had a top 25 0-line the past few seasons and tend to use a two back set. His frame is just not built to be a pro TE. The other issue is he doesn't have the explosive speed or quickness to be a true WR at the next level. What he does have is great hands and athletic ability. If you the see the video below you'll understand the "Harmon Hurdle".

Prediction: UDFA- I really don't know where he would fit on a team and this might hurt him when it comes to locking up a roster or practice squad spot.

Willie Rose FB- 6'1 236lbs. While not invited to the combine or the TX VS. Nation game this is the one guy I could actually see getting drafted. He's also the one out of the 3 I could see fitting the Patriots. Reminds me a ton of Heath Evans as he is also a true FB. Great when it comes to run blocking and is very good a catching the ball out of the backfield and turning it into a gain (much like Heath did in NE). Will probably need to put on a good 5-10 Lbs of muscle and have an amazing pro day to get the scouts to start noticing him that are here to see Smith and Harmon.

Prediction- Someone takes a chance on him 6 or 7th round. Check out the feature on him below.

Well that's what I got enjoy!

YouTube - FAU Harmon hurdle

YouTube - Willie Rose is FAU's rock in the backfield

Box - Where is your analysis?

Pigskin Paul?s Place

He went over his recording and lists the players from the game whom he felt did the best job at getting themselves noticed by the NFL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft