PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video preview: Eagles vs Patriots

Real good. Thanks!

6. Will it Hurts? “Few give the Patriots a chance in the season opener against the defending NFC champion Eagles, but for those looking for an area the team might have an edge, consider this: Philadelphia’s Jalen Hurts was one of eight starting quarterbacks not to play in the preseason, and of the 11 Week 1 starting quarterbacks in 2022 who didn’t play in the preseason, their teams had a combined record of 3-8 in last season's opening games, per ESPN Stats & Information research.”

10. Did you know? The Patriots’ season opener against the visiting Eagles marks the fifth time since the 1970 AFC-NFL merger than the Patriots will open the season against a conference champion. The others were the Dolphins (1974), Steelers (1979), Bills (1993) and Broncos (1998).

Kind of a silly stat because I'd argue they played three QBs with above average or elite athleticism and escapability last year: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and Justin Fields and they couldn't contain those guys at all. A sack on a scramble by Colt McCoy isn't an indication of how they'd perform against Hurts.

Kind of a silly stat because I'd argue they played three QBs with above average or elite athleticism and escapability last year: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and Justin Fields and they couldn't contain those guys at all. A sack on a scramble by Colt McCoy isn't an indication of how they'd perform against Hurts.
That’s not Colt McCoy. It’s Trubisky. Certainly not as much of a rushing threat as Hurts, but likely more of one than McCoy.

I expect the Pats to try to run at the Eagles early to take heat off the passing game.
And screen game. Hopefully, the Eagles don’t get a big lead. Then play action passing. Coming out party nationally for Bourne and Henry.

Agreed. I think the point was that Judon and Uche are disciplined and very fast for DEs. Which is true.

Also I assume BB saw the performance last year against Jackson, Allen, etc., and then drafted Mapu to try to deal with issue.

That’s not Colt McCoy. It’s Trubisky. Certainly not as much of a rushing threat as Hurts, but likely more of one than McCoy.
I'm not talking about the video, just saying that the raw numbers of sacks against scrambles doesn't tell me much if anything about their capacity to stop Jalen Hurts. They got trounced by QBs of a similar profile last year. "Sacks against scrambles" encompasses all of the QBs they faced.

“Just put me on A.J. or DeVonta…easy work..”

Also I assume BB saw the performance last year against Jackson, Allen, etc., and then drafted Mapu to try to deal with issue.
Was he not paying attention to RT last year?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back