Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When would you like the Patriots to draft Spencer Rattler?

• 2nd round

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd round

• 4th round

• 5th round

• 6th round

• 7th round

• Only as an undrafted rookie free agent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You nailed it, Ross. Here’s the informative Phil Perry podcast.

Rattler with hands nearly 10”. Why hasn’t anyone talked about JJ McCarthy’s TINY 9” hands? An inch and half smaller than Brady’s.
9 inches is certainly on the smaller side, I didn't personally realize they were that small. 9.25 is probably the threshold. Maye is at 9 and one eighth. At least they're not Kenny Pickett small (8.5 inch). Meanwhile Penix has 10.5 inchers... insert joke here

Yea, if the Patriots went back to Mac, the fans would descend on Gillette with pitchforks and flaming torches like the villagers below castle Frankenstein.

If only that were true. The reality is that forums like this would get lit up even more so, the Boston media would have an influx of advertising dollars as their "reporters" and personalities went nuts on it, and the Krafts would have at least an 8 figure profit on the year while offering up a bad product.

If the team is not sold on whoever is left at #3, then trading down absolutely makes sense.

Doing so will result in two positives: additional draft picks, plus the ability to trade back up into the first round. Now instead of picking at #34 the Pats can pick an OT in the 20s or maybe late teens. It can lead to picking up not one, but two good receivers. Then the team can also address FS, RB, TE, and some combination of CB/Edge and DT. That would be a nice combination of quality and quantity. If they have genuine legitimate doubts about that guy at #3, trade down.

If on the other hand the club likes who is available at #3, go ahead and make the pick. Don't trade down simply for additional picks. Hopefully the Pats are not drafting this early again for many, many years. This is your best chance to snag a franchise QB.

Yeah, I admit that trading down is highly unlikely if Maye is there at 3. But if Washington is going to take Maye at 2, then all bets are off.

Yeah, I admit that trading down is highly unlikely if Maye is there at 3. But if Washington is going to take Maye at 2, then all bets are off.
I really like some of Daniels' game, but his high sack rate scares me a bit, and he rarely scrambles to throw - when he escapes the pocket it is almost always looking to run upfield. He's also a couple of years older. He's a pretty great pocket passer but I have concerns about how he will deal with NFL pressure... Will he continue to look to escape and run upfield? If so, can he take the punishment?

Maye has all of the NFL tools but needs mechanical refinement which is its own project. But at least you know the core is there.

McCarthy is pro ready and can handle pressure but needs some refinement in his passing game as well.

I tend to agree that if Maye goes at 2, they'll either take McCarthy or trade down. I wonder if the Vikings will be more or less likely to send "the bag" for Daniels than they would have for Maye. Same for the Giants, Broncos, Raiders, etc.

Not sold on Rattler, but I'm generally of the philosophy that you either take one of the high end guys at 3, or you take a flyer in round 3 (or later), build the rest of the roster, and see what the QB landscape (draft or FA) looks like in 2025. Then you just keep doing that until something sticks. I don't like the idea of drafting a QB at 34. Feels like at that point you're taking a guy that, if he was any good, some team would trade up to take him in the first for the 5th year option. I'd rather use that asset on another position, and grab a QB lottery ticket later.

That said, my first choice is still QB at 3. I think you have a better chance of landing the franchise QB there while hitting on longer shots at OT and WR later, than they other way around.
This

topher grace television GIF

I just want to hear "The New England Patriots are on the clock".

I was a massive rattler fan, and then he flamed out at OU. Glad to see it seems he’s matured. Definitely has a lot of great physical tools. I don’t really have an opinion on him but it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up being good.

Yea, if the Patriots went back to Mac, the fans would descend on Gillette with pitchforks and flaming torches like the villagers below castle Frankenstein. But Mac is (was) a very good QB with the right cast. I just don't want to have them waste a first on a clone of Mac.

Someone who is highly mobile (Daniels) or elusive in the pocket (Maye? JJ?) would be acceptable at 3, otherwise trade back. I also don't want the Patriots to pick a fancy QB at 3 and give him no support and ruin him like they did to Mac.
Mac ruined Mac.

". ..but his sack rate when pressured in 2023 was a horrendous 23.2%. That means when he was pressured in 2023, about 23 percent of the time he was getting sacked..."

That's a hot take!

Alright, I hate this kid. But it’s only because he was ****y when they beat UT two years ago as a huge underdog. Yes I’m petty. Having said that, he’s very slippery/elusive and can sling the ball. I wouldn’t mind if we took a shot at him later in the draft.

DW brings up an interesting option. Trading out of 3. Accumulating high picks from the Vikings. And drafting the guy last seen pouting like a spoiled brat on the sidelines when Caleb Williams led the Sooners to victory over Texas?

Turns out Spencer Rattler has matured a great deal. And he just might a sleeper of this draft.

Dig deeper, Patriots. Every stone unturned.

It would suck if Spencer Rattler is the best QB of this draft, taken sixth or seventh. It’s happened before.
Umm no thanks

Bo Nix?

I don’t hate the Rattler or Bo Nix option.

I was hoping for something more, too. Like trading him to the Jets for Zach Wilson. Straight up.

If Rattler has the same poise, maturity, and both physical and mental toughness that Wilson has demonstrated then sign me up. I wasn’t on the Rattler bandwagon but now you can count me in.

Me either. I love the Draft, and picking in the top 10-15 every year will allow me to get more sleep. Picking at 32 sucked.

Ok Ivan,

What is your draft strategy how do we get back to being a playoffs contender?

You nailed it, Ross. Here’s the informative Phil Perry podcast.

Rattler with hands nearly 10”. Why hasn’t anyone talked about JJ McCarthy’s TINY 9” hands? An inch and half smaller than Brady’s.
NFL QB hand size

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back