PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans Agree with Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seymour93 said:
KC picked Larry Johnson in a similar circumstance. Priest Holmes just turned 30 and got injured late in the season, so the Chiefs selected Johnson a few months later. You always need to get younger, however the difference between the Johnson-Holmes situation with the Saints' is that Johnson was chosen in the 20's, while the Saints are in the top 5. D'Brick is still gonna be there, they were high on him before and with the Jets offering a good deal it may be in their best interest to trade down two spots.

Lately though I've been hearing that they want Jammal Brown at LT so they would pass on Fergeson anyway.

I still just can't see the Saints passing on Bush. When Bush was the #1 pick, most everyone lately had Mario Williams going to to New Orleans at #2, a team that already has Will Smith and Charles Grant at DE. Grant had a down year so that is how everybody justfied the pick, plus obviously William's freakish talent.

So with that said, why is Deuce a reason not to take Bush? A not old BUT aging RB coming off a torn ACL and a season and a half of average stats?

JDSal45 said:
They played Indy and Jacksonville those last 4 games, both trying to either make the playoffs or needed to improve their seed.

The Colts had nothing to play for. At 9-3 they had the division locked and were 2 games out of a bye with 4 to play. The only way they had anything to play for were if either the 11-1 Steelers or 11-1 Patriots were going to lose 3 of 4. They went up 14-0 early and then sleepwalked their way through the rest of the game. The Jags were a total no show in their game with Houston getting blown out 21-0 by a bad football team.

There is a reason Davis does nothing early in the year but comes on huge once the Texans are eliminated. It is the same reason they were considering taking a RB #1 when they already had him. He just isn't all that good.

I wonder WHY the Texans passed on Bush. There are only two real possibilities I can come up with:

1. The signability factor. It is clear the Texans did not want to make their selection without having whomever they would pick signed. Possibly Bush overplayed his hand?

2. The character factor. The Texans have been doing their own investigation into the situation with Bush's parents living in the $750K house rent-free. New twists to the story are coming out now on a daily basis. Maybe the Texans found out something that hasn't been published yet, or maybe they are passing on him based on the questions that have already been made public, or maybe they are just not willing to take the chance that the story as currently known is just the tip of the iceberg. Either way they are not willing to have a character question mark be the face of their franchise.

Or maybe a combination of the above.

wow, i was hoping that the Texans would take Bush and trade Davis to us!

WHo will Bush go to now??? Saints...Jets??? Surprise to NO......Jets may want to trade or??? What a large monkey wrench...

Last edited:
It is easier to find good RB than good DE so it's a great move by Texans.

dhamz said:
The Colts had nothing to play for. At 9-3 they had the division locked and were 2 games out of a bye with 4 to play. The only way they had anything to play for were if either the 11-1 Steelers or 11-1 Patriots were going to lose 3 of 4. They went up 14-0 early and then sleepwalked their way through the rest of the game. The Jags were a total no show in their game with Houston getting blown out 21-0 by a bad football team.

There is a reason Davis does nothing early in the year but comes on huge once the Texans are eliminated. It is the same reason they were considering taking a RB #1 when they already had him. He just isn't all that good.
What are you kidding? Jax was 6-6 and if Indy had gone 0-4 or 1-3 they could have conceivably missed the playoffs. Not to mention they were still fighting for the 3 or 4 seed with San Diego whom they still had a game against. Of course they had something to play for in week 13. Sheesh.

And whether the Jags were a no show or not, they played to win and needed the game.

J D Sal

Casserly was just on NFLN and he says the deal is 6/$54 with $26M guaranteed.

Schefter says the Saints have likely begun discussions with Bush and D'Brick tonight to gauge the cost on signing each. Bush will want his #1 money and could be a tough sign now because teams will not want to give it to him. If NO goes with Ferguson and he drops to the JETS at 4 he might be unsignable for some time to come.

This also puts a real monkey wrench in the Lienart sweepstakes. He's been dropping all week as Youngs stock rebounded and based on the belief that the Titans owner has decided he'd prefer Young. Lienart could easily end up in silver and black or worse and Cutler could end up a Ram.

They are asking Lienart what he thinks about possibly being a Raider - he says he visited and it was great BUT hopefully he goes before that....

My dark horse pick is the 49ers...could they engineer a trade up for Bush? I predict them sending #6, #22 and their third round for Bush. It's certainly possible.

BTW, more money than Seymour for a DE who's never played a down in the NFL is just outrageous.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
I'd be shocked if the Saints passed on Bush or traded the pick away, unless someone like the Jets gave them a Ricky Williams-full draft type of deal.

The Saints struggled last year and lost fans and ticket sales. Imagine what adding Reggie Bush to Drew Brees would do for exciting the fan base.

Also, name a more talented player available AFTER the 1st pick in the draft in recent memory. How do you pass that up?

Deuce just got a $51 million contract. The Saints are not going to sink even more money into another running back. Keep the economics in mind here. New Orleans will trade the #2 pick to the highest bidder.

Last edited:
Crazy Patriot Guy said:
Lately though I've been hearing that they want Jammal Brown at LT so they would pass on Fergeson anyway.

I still just can't see the Saints passing on Bush. When Bush was the #1 pick, most everyone lately had Mario Williams going to to New Orleans at #2, a team that already has Will Smith and Charles Grant at DE. Grant had a down year so that is how everybody justfied the pick, plus obviously William's freakish talent.

So with that said, why is Deuce a reason not to take Bush? A not old BUT aging RB coming off a torn ACL and a season and a half of average stats?

Looks like you got it right after all, CPG. It's still gonna be hard to sign Bush, however he will give that city and that franchise a new positive face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes