PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow, Blount, Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tebow, don't care much, whatever is best for the team.

Would rather see Bolden emerge and take the spot over Blount.

Edleman has shown ability to be a play maker on ST's and last year he showed signs of becoming a play maker on the O. I hope he makes it and stays healthy.

My sentiments exactly, on all three.

How about?

Mallett or Tebow
Blount or Bolden

2 QB, 4 RB, 8 OL, 1 STer, 4 TE, 5 WR and 1 TBD

This gives the offense 25 players (including Slater).

===========================
I would prefer to go with two quarterbacks and not use a roster spot on a third QB (Tebow). Right now that extra roster spot is shaping up to probably be even more valuable than usual.

- At WR the Patriots have both a lot of turnover, plus at least two rookies. If one or both of Dobson and Boyce are not contributing significantly right off the bat - a very real possibility - then the Pats could use an additional roster spot on another WR. With Hernandez gone there is a good chance that they will be relying more on their wide receivers to replace his production.

- At TE the return of Gronkowski is up in the air. If he is not placed on PUP then he might be a game day inactive for the first few weeks. That's an unused roster spot, in which case the Pats may want to use it on an additional TE.

- With all the changes at the WR and TE positions the Patriots may rely on their running game more this year. If that is the case then the Pats may want to consider keeping a FB on the roster, or a 5th RB.

Whether it be an additional WR, and additional TE, or an additional RB, making that happen will be extremely difficult if the team has three QB on the roster. I would rather see the Pats use that roster spot on one of those other positions.

What do Tebow, Blount, and Edelman have in common? For me, I hope that none of them makes the 53 man roster.

I hope that we don't need Blount as a short-yardage back, although I am OK in having Blount instead of Bolden. I just hope that Bolden steps up.

I would like to see Washington and another be our punt returners. If not, Edelman is a good one. However, Edelman is using a roster spot as a punt returner, and likely a part-time punt returner at that.

I see no reason for Tebow to be on the team, except to guarantee no issues in signing a 2014 backup QB, giving us the ability to trade Mallett. More positively, there is the possibility that Tebow and Mallett will actually compete for a backup spot this year and next. I just don't see it.

Love your positive outlook!

Cutting Edelman would be depressing, dude is always full of energy and he could easily have the game changing play that turns a first round exit into super bowl champions. Tebow, I don't really care he's a good guy so I'd like to see him do well but I won't be heartbroken if he's cut. Dunno what the obsession with Bolden is, he's vastly overrated here imo. If blount makes it, so be it.

I think Edelman will make the team unless he gets injured in preseason, I could see blount making the team if they are going to run the football a lot this year he is the only RB on roster other the Washington and Stevan Ridley with more then 80 rush att,

as for Tebow I don't see why he cant beat out Mallett for the #2 QB spot he has shown he can win at the NFL's highest level, Ryan Mallett so far has 1 comp 4 att 17 yards and a INT in he's career

Edelman played QB in college, he any good as a 3rd string QB over Tebow?

The sentiment on JE is understandable given his injury situation. Yet what is the downside considering his contract is minimal? As others have pointed out his return capability is very significant. When he went down last year you could see that part of the Patriot's game drop way off. Further, he played good ST's outside of PR. Add to that he showed some flashes on an end around and out receiving (though if memory serves me, he can get the dropsies). If he stays healthy (????), there is too much plus to get rid of JE

Blount? If he shows in camp-practice-preseason what he did in TB two years ago? Man I would hate for the Patriots to lose out on that kind of bruising, hard nosed production and attitude. Hopefully he has his mind straight and has been working out hard in preparation for camp and making the team. Yet if he shows up out of shape and not extremely serious about his job? Cut 'em as soon as possible and makes best transaction sense for the team.

Tebow? An enigma at this point. As a third QB? IMHO we can't afford to lose a roster spot for a 3rd QB (replace Mallett? Really?). If he was brought in just to be a backup QB then I agree with cutting him. Yet it doesn't seem like that meshes with BB's MO. He must have had some ideas on what he wants Tebow to do prior to bringing him in (at least I think). I definitely am curious to see what BB has in mind for him and look forward to seeing some of that in the preseason. Whatever it is, if he does it fairly well then that is the time to talk about whether he should be cut or not. Until then Tebow is too much of an unknown to make a judgment.

Agree with Deus, on top of being a historically good punt returner Edelman is probably the team's second best WR at this point and the only one with a rapport with Brady.

On top of that, it's easy to forget that he seemed to have beat out Welker (!) in training camp last year and was a starting receiver in the first couple weeks. If you'll remember, there was a ton of press about how Edelman was playing a ton more than Welker. That could have been some weird punishment for Welker's contract dispute but I tend to doubt it. Of course, then Edelman got hurt - and that's the rub with him.

I really don't see Tebow as a tradtional QB on this team. If he makes the roster, it will be from a combination of undetermined Swiss Army Knife contributions and roles PLUS a little value as an emergency third QB.

If he can pick up the blitz as a blocker, putting him in the backfield next to Brady puts some serious pressure on the defense and opens up a lot of trick play options. Direct snap to Tebow, D bites on the run, flea-flicker to Brady, bomb over the top. If you really wanted to do a Tebow package, you could. The fact that he actually can throw the ball makes him more of problem in gimmick plays than the usual RB.

Now, whether that provides enough value to justify the 53rd roster spot? Time will tell.

------------

All things being equal in training camp, I can't see any reason that Edelman and Blount don't make the team.

I think we could see Tebow active and put on the field (either at the same time as Brady on offense or on STs) just for the sake of screwing around with teams. For example, look at when Belichick put Vollmer detached from the formation on a field goal, or when they sent out Tebow on the field goal team. First and goal from the 1, Brady in the shotgun with Tebow next to him. How do you react as a defense? The most likely outcome is that the defense panics and calls a time out, which is never a bad thing.

I really don't see Tebow as a tradtional QB on this team. If he makes the roster, it will be from a combination of undetermined Swiss Army Knife contributions and roles PLUS a little value as an emergency third QB.

If he can pick up the blitz as a blocker, putting him in the backfield next to Brady puts some serious pressure on the defense and opens up a lot of trick play options. Direct snap to Tebow, D bites on the run, flea-flicker to Brady, bomb over the top. If you really wanted to do a Tebow package, you could. The fact that he actually can throw the ball makes him more of problem in gimmick plays than the usual RB.

Now, whether that provides enough value to justify the 53rd roster spot? Time will tell.

------------

All things being equal in training camp, I can't see any reason that Edelman and Blount don't make the team.

You do realize of course that players 47-53 ..... DO NOT SEE THE FIELD.

So if he is player #53 - he is there to play SCOUT TEAM; not to pick up the blitz, run a trick play option, or take a direct snap.

Actually, players 50-53 are often special teamers who do indeed see the field.

You do realize of course that players 47-53 ..... DO NOT SEE THE FIELD.

So if he is player #53 - he is there to play SCOUT TEAM; not to pick up the blitz, run a trick play option, or take a direct snap.

Tebow--can be an upgrade in versatility from the usual QB3 (in this example, Mike Kafka). He may even be able to provide another player a roster spot, if Belichick and co. feel as though he is able to provide something on ST's, or even as a backup TE or goal line RB. On top of that there are certain situations where we could force the opposition into taking a time out (as pointed out by Sciz), or even cause confusion resulting in a big play. He can also provide our defense a look at some of the read option QBs as a scout team QB in practice. Obviously, he is also a good person to have in the locker room--particularly maybe at this time after the recent events. I think there are reasons for him to stay and carry 3 QBs for sure.

Blount--I don't care either way regarding the supposed Blount vs. Bolden roster competition. I don't really have a ton of confidence in either one to be honest.

Edelman--prior to the Hernandez situation, I assumed that he had around a 65% chance of making the team, with the exception being a "real" WR actually stepping up in TC or preseason. After the Hernandez situation, I think his odds may have improved to something in the 75% range due to his knowledge of the system and ability to pick up some of the missed production.
I'd rather see Edelman stay for sure, especially at this point in time.

Basically, you seem to want to keep Tebow instead of a special teamer (e.g. Ebner). Would your really rather have Tebow active instead of Ebner?

Obviously, Tebow is great locker room influence.

I would not be at all surprised if Tebow beats out Mallett as the #2 QB.

Tebow--can be an upgrade in versatility from the usual QB3 (in this example, Mike Kafka). He may even be able to provide another player a roster spot, if Belichick and co. feel as though he is able to provide something on ST's, or even as a backup TE or goal line RB. On top of that there are certain situations where we could force the opposition into taking a time out (as pointed out by Sciz), or even cause confusion resulting in a big play. He can also provide our defense a look at some of the read option QBs as a scout team QB in practice. Obviously, he is also a good person to have in the locker room--particularly maybe at this time after the recent events. I think there are reasons for him to stay and carry 3 QBs for sure.

Blount--I don't care either way regarding the supposed Blount vs. Bolden roster competition. I don't really have a ton of confidence in either one to be honest.

Edelman--prior to the Hernandez situation, I assumed that he had around a 65% chance of making the team, with the exception being a "real" WR actually stepping up in TC or preseason. After the Hernandez situation, I think his odds may have improved to something in the 75% range due to his knowledge of the system and ability to pick up some of the missed production.
I'd rather see Edelman stay for sure, especially at this point in time.

I'm with you on Blount, but Edelman has a ton to offer if he stays healthy (I think he can)... and Tebow could also be more useful than your average 49th guy.

Tebow--can be an upgrade in versatility from the usual QB3 (in this example, Mike Kafka). He may even be able to provide another player a roster spot, if Belichick and co. feel as though he is able to provide something on ST's, or even as a backup TE or goal line RB. \.

I think that is the part some people miss, "if" he ever makes it ..... it is not so much he is taking up a spot in the 53 as much as he might actually be opening up a spot etc.

Basically, you seem to want to keep Tebow instead of a special teamer (e.g. Ebner). Would your really rather have Tebow active instead of Ebner?

Obviously, Tebow is great locker room influence.

I would not be at all surprised if Tebow beats out Mallett as the #2 QB.

I'd be shocked and I'm not one of those guys who thinks The Hammer is Brady's replacement. Style is too different for an effective #2 who could be expected to step in and finish a game with the same game plan were Brady injured, see 2001 season AFCCG with Bledsoe.

Tebow might be Steve Young like...could be good as a 3rd string backup qb and for the 4th and 1 sets.

Blount is as talented as Ridley is. Boldin needs PED's to play well.

Edelman is always injured it seems. I do like him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes