PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow, Blount, Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, you seem to want to keep Tebow instead of a special teamer (e.g. Ebner). Would your really rather have Tebow active instead of Ebner?

Obviously, Tebow is great locker room influence.

I would not be at all surprised if Tebow beats out Mallett as the #2 QB.

Not necessarily. I'm personally not comparing the two positions myself.

Tebow in my opinion has the potential to actually open up another roster spot if he can prove to Belichick and co. on the field during TC and preseason.

I wouldn't see any reason why we'd have to rearange things that differently than any other year just because we're choosing to keep 3 QB's. There are other positions that should be able to be trimmed instead.

It may come down to a wedge blocking LB who normally wouldn't see the field if you're mainly just looking at the ST only positions. It also may even come down to keeping one less TE or one less RB too (although probably less likely).

If Tebow makes it, and I definitely think he will at this point in time, it'll be because he has the capacity to improve upon other parts of the team; at the very least the QB3 spot which was held by Kafka a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't see Ryan Mallett as being cut myself. We'll need a "true" backup QB who can actually sling the ball downfield and is familiar with our system here. Belichick commented a couple of wks ago how much he's improved from year to year in knowing the playbook and other important aspects of being a backup QB. I wouldn't see a scenario where we wouldn't still see a lot of value for Mallett as our backup QB on a cheap rookie deal this season. I don't really see anyone else coming along who would know the scheme and could even pick it up at this point in time for the upcoming season.

I just don't see the point of putting a quote at the bottom..makes ZERO SENSE. I have to read your thought, THEN figure out what you're responding too.

I think we could see Tebow active and put on the field (either at the same time as Brady on offense or on STs) just for the sake of screwing around with teams. For example, look at when Belichick put Vollmer detached from the formation on a field goal, or when they sent out Tebow on the field goal team. First and goal from the 1, Brady in the shotgun with Tebow next to him. How do you react as a defense? The most likely outcome is that the defense panics and calls a time out, which is never a bad thing.

Not sure I remember this exactly, but I remember reading that when Tebow played on Special Teams for the Jets against us, BB left his defense out there on 4th down rather than bringing on the ST unit. If right, that seems a little extreme but also suggests one reason for BB liking him; the marginal gain of the extra time game-planning for Tebow. If opposing teams are spending an hour or two a week thinking about Tebow, that's an hour or two less time thinking about our offense. It might not seem like much but I believe those sort of marginal games are important to a coach as good as BB.

I tend to obsess with bottom of the roster issues; but. I'd hate to lose a STer like Ebner in order to keep Tebow.

Not sure I remember this exactly, but I remember reading that when Tebow played on Special Teams for the Jets against us, BB left his defense out there on 4th down rather than bringing on the ST unit. If right, that seems a little extreme but also suggests one reason for BB liking him; the marginal gain of the extra time game-planning for Tebow. If opposing teams are spending an hour or two a week thinking about Tebow, that's an hour or two less time thinking about our offense. It might not seem like much but I believe those sort of marginal games are important to a coach as good as BB.

According to Football Outsiders Tebow had 59 snaps on special teams with the Jets last year, which worked out to 13% of their special team plays. I am guessing that most, if not all of those were as the 'punt protector'. It is very close in number to that of several other offensive linemen; for the season the Jets punted 84 times, which would be about 3/4 of those plays. For all Jet players 59 snaps ranked as a 28th placed tie for most ST snaps on the club last year. For comparison sake Dan Connolly had 60 ST snaps, which ranked 33rd with the Patriots in 2012.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2012 NFL SNAP COUNTS

Or Mallett as the protector/QB on the first punt against Baltimore in the AFC Championship game.

I tend to obsess with bottom of the roster issues; but. I'd hate to lose a STer like Ebner in order to keep Tebow.

Personally, I enjoy the roster discussions a lot--especially at this current point in time.

Ebner's certainly one of the players who's on the bubble, as he's pretty much lost any chance of seeing the field in a safety role with the current safeties of Adrian Wilson, McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Gregory, and now Harmon--which makes 5 solid safeties.

That said, we always keep ST only players, so he'll likely be battling it out with some of the other ST only players/positions.

If you choose to compare the 2 players in Tebow vs. Ebner, you may find that a strong argument can also be made for Tebow's versatility. Either way, we'll have to trust Belichick to decide that issue, if it even comes down to it.

Ebner's certainly one of the players who's on the bubble, as he's pretty much lost any chance of seeing the field in a safety role with the current safeties of Adrian Wilson, McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Gregory, and now Harmon--which makes 5 solid safeties.

OTOH, is Gregory worth what they'd be paying him in this scenario?

Mallet over Tebow
Blount over Boldin
Edelman over Hernandez

Tebow cannot play QB in the Patriots system. They will not design a whole new system for Tebow, the point is moot. I have no idea why he is here. Mallet at least is a traditional drop-back QB.

Today, if another NE QB has to start, I want Tebow.

Mallet has played like dog crap in preseason and in garbage time. When is he going to put on some weight? He looks like the Thin Man.

Edelman and Gronk are the only 2 receiving options that have without question earned Bradys trust. To me, Edelman has a better chance to replace receptions that Welker would have had over Almendola.

Blount? Id rather have a the young stable of Bolden, Ridley and Vereen.

I think people underestimate Blount's value.

Prior to Doug Martin arriving in Tampa, Blount was a 1000-yard rusher. Although his runs may not always look pretty, with proper conditioning and better offensive system, I think he has the potential to be a rock-solid pounder.

It's very possible that Bolden could lose his roster spot to Blount this season. Although I like both players, I would want the higher upside player to remain on the roster.

What do Tebow, Blount, and Edelman have in common? For me, I hope that none of them makes the 53 man roster.

I hope that we don't need Blount as a short-yardage back, although I am OK in having Blount instead of Bolden. I just hope that Bolden steps up.

I would like to see Washington and another be our punt returners. If not, Edelman is a good one. However, Edelman is using a roster spot as a punt returner, and likely a part-time punt returner at that.

I see no reason for Tebow to be on the team, except to guarantee no issues in signing a 2014 backup QB, giving us the ability to trade Mallett. More positively, there is the possibility that Tebow and Mallett will actually compete for a backup spot this year and next. I just don't see it.

I really hope Edelman makes the roster and takes the next step this year.

Tebow unless he is changing positions will end up on IR somehow.

Blount could contribute, Bolden was a core ST player so I don't think it's an either or situation for them two.

Prior to Doug Martin arriving in Tampa, Blount was a 1000-yard rusher. Although his runs may not always look pretty, with proper conditioning and better offensive system, I think he has the potential to be a rock-solid pounder.

It's very possible that Bolden could lose his roster spot to Blount this season. Although I like both players, I would want the higher upside player to remain on the roster.

The problem with Blount has been upstairs. He's produced well, anywhere he's ever played. He's a fall forward, wear down the defense kind of player.Catches fairly well also.

On the field I believe he is easily an upgrade over Ridley and Vareen. However if I'm picking the team I'm definitely not paying Blount any big money, and he better know his role and not turn the rock over. That's just my opinion though.

Blount's Y/A has dropped from 5 to 4.2 to 3.7, and he's lousy at blitz pickup and pass blocking in general. How are people underrating his value on a team that demands blitz pickup and pass blocking from its RBs?

I think that it's going to be one or the other, but I certainly wouldn't discount Blount's chances of making the team, as you said.

Bolden had the PED suspension, which kind of left him in Belichick's doghouse a bit. There's also the fact that Belichick traded a 7th rd pick to acquire Blount, so he apparently felt that there was a reasonable chance of him making the roster or he likely wouldn't have given that pick away.

EDIT: I had not read Deus' account of his struggles with the blitz pickup, as I was not aware of his issues there. That will obviously be a major hurdle. Either way, I still personally wouldn't automatically pencil in Bolden either. It will be a good competition.

Blount's Y/A has dropped from 5 to 4.2 to 3.7, and he's lousy at blitz pickup and pass blocking in general. How are people underrating his value on a team that demands blitz pickup and pass blocking from its RBs?

I've also read that he has trouble in short yardage situation, originally I saw him as potentially having a Sammy Morris type role here but given his weakness in the areas you pointed out and his lack of success in short yardage I don't really see a fit unless Ridley is injured in camp.

On the field I believe he is easily an upgrade over Ridley and Vareen.

I certainly wouldn't go that far. At all.

As far as his ability to catch out of the backfield, I think you are overrating that too. He has produced catches of 5, 15, and 1 in his three years in the NFL.

He may provide an option over Bolden. He may not. That will be left up to Belichick.

I've also read that he has trouble in short yardage situation, originally I saw him as potentially having a Sammy Morris type role here but given his weakness in the areas you pointed out and his lack of success in short yardage I don't really see a fit unless Ridley is injured in camp.

If Ridley's injured in camp we're totally screwed.

I think that it's going to be one or the other, but I certainly wouldn't discount Blount's chances of making the team, as you said.

Bolden had the PED suspension, which kind of left him in Belichick's doghouse a bit. There's also the fact that Belichick traded a 7th rd pick to acquire Blount, so he apparently felt that there was a reasonable chance of him making the roster or he likely wouldn't have given that pick away.

EDIT: I had not read Deus' account of his struggles with the blitz pickup, as I was not aware of his issues there. That will obviously be a major hurdle. Either way, I still personally wouldn't automatically pencil in Bolden either. It will be a good competition.

Bolden was a core ST player so I think for that reason you could see them both stick. Bolden could also start on PUP I believe he is still recovering from a knee injury. Or I could be wrong?

If Ridley's injured in camp we're totally screwed.

Very true I'm a big fan of Ridley on and off the field. I do also expect Vereen to take a big step forward but more as an all purpose player, even picking up the slack of Hernandez in the underneath passing game and creating mismatch issues, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes