Tape Break Downs on Duane Starks??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Box_o_Rocks -
Didn't you do a break down on Duane Starks? Didn't you find that he wasn't as negligent in his duties as a CB as many people here would have you believe?

I am just curious because I keep seeing these hatred posts about Starks and it really seems misplaced... .

http://www.targetsoft.com/patriots/denver.htm

2nd and 4 Den 23
Result: Pass, Smith, crossing route, 72 yds.
Offense: 3 wide, 2 left, TE right, wide left in motion to slot left.
Defense: 3-4, Vrabel over slot, soft coverage.
Blocking: All 4 LBs blitz
Warren ridden outside by RT
Green ridden outside by LT
Wilfork pushed left by C
RG picks up blitzing Beisel who beats him to right in a spin move
RB cuts McGinest coming on a delayed blitz and gets Beisel coming off his spin move
C.Brown checked by LG
Vrabel picked up by LG releasing off Brown.
Coverage: Man
The TE pulled Sanders out of the middle with a square-in below Smith
Wide left moved to slot behind Smith, then cut underneath on the snap tying up Sante
Geno covering the WR right who ran a square in low.
Analysis: Denver did an awsome job of picking up the 7 man blitz with 6 blockers
Beisel beat RG, but his spin move brought him right into the RB who was cutting Willie
Den had 4 receivers in the pattern tying up the DBs in man
Starks was left one-on-one against Denver’s no. 1 WR on a crossing pattern and had to play him deep in prevent coverage
LG did an excellent job of standing Chad up and sliding smoothly over to hit Vrabel
Blame this one on play calling, a LB on the TE would have freed up Sanders to play deep in the middle where Smith ran free.

In the Oakland game, Mangini, Pees, and BB had a quick huddle right after Moss out-jumped Poole for the TD. Geno came up to cover the TE who was running free, leaving Ty one-on-one with Moss; Rodney was clear across the field.

This play in Denver was very similar except that all four DBs were man in this coverage with four receivers out - Mangini let the D take a lot of lumps as he went through his own baptism by fire - and I believe BB let him get burned a lot so he could live and learn. Starks was the easiest target for the opposition, but I've come to think that he took one for the team to buy time for Mangini and Hobbs. I may never know.

Misplaced smishplaced. He was put on IR Nov 10th. The Pats record with Starks 4-4. Without Starks 6-2. And that includes the gimme loss to Miami in last game of the reg season. Is it /was it all Starks fault? Of course not, but every time you see a hi-lite with him in it (including the last game against Denver) there he is 3-7 steps behind where he needed to be.

1st and 10 Den 28
Result: Pass, Lelie, post route, 55 yds.
Offense: 3 wide, 2 left, TE right.
Defense: 3-4, Vrabel over slot, Starks press coverage, Samuel off.
Blocking: Wright ridden left by LT
Wilfork ridden left by C
Warren spun off RT when he read the naked bootleg.
Analysis: Willie stayed home, but stayed along the LOS so Warren actually beat him downfield in pursuit of Plummer
Both Ss jumped a short route opening up the middle of the field for Lelie who is faster then Starks.

I suppose you guys prefer Gay, Poole, and Chad Scott who didn't play injured to Starks who risked the rest of his career to play injured. There is no question that Starks was very injured when he played. As I said at the time, I think we would have gone 2-6 or 3-5 without Starks. He played because he was the best we had, and the best available. Of course, we all are free to disagree with Mangini's, bb's and pioli's judgement on the matter. Starks was physically very limited in what he could do out there. IMHO, it is a credit to Mangini and to Starks that our defensive backs held together well enough to win those first four games.

Starks will come back. IF HE IS HEALTHY, I expect him to start, be cut, or perhaps negotiate a minimum contract to be a backup (seems unlikely).

BTW, if Starks isn't at least the nickel, I would suggest that we difinitely need to sign another corner.

Last edited:
In those instances where mg and i disagree on personnel evaluation ... more often than not he has proven to be more right than i have been.

Before and during tc, AndyJohnson often termed Starks the best CB we had. (If he has changed his mind since then, i've missed that.)

Thus, two of the best roster mavens here extol Starks ... and Mark explains the deficiencies of his on-field performance.

For me, then, Duane is innocent until proven guilty.

flutie2phelan said:
In those instances where mg and i disagree on personnel evaluation ... more often than not he has proven to be more right than i have been.

Before and during tc, AndyJohnson often termed Starks the best CB we had. (If he has changed his mind since then, i've missed that.)

Thus, two of the best roster mavens here extol Starks ... and Mark explains the deficiencies of his on-field performance.

For me, then, Duane is innocent until proven guilty.
He did confess to having headed off the wrong route on the 72 yard play, but Rod Smith is like Troy Brown, you take one option away and he'll divert to another without breaking stride - Mangini was trying to take away the run leaving the DBs one-on-one, live and learn.

Michael said:
Misplaced smishplaced. He was put on IR Nov 10th. The Pats record with Starks 4-4. Without Starks 6-2. And that includes the gimme loss to Miami in last game of the reg season. Is it /was it all Starks fault? Of course not, but every time you see a hi-lite with him in it (including the last game against Denver) there he is 3-7 steps behind where he needed to be.

Yep. Lets just IGNORE the fact that he was playing with a severe shoulder injury. Lets also ignore the fact that the help he was supposed to have wasn't there. Great thinking Michael. I am so glad BB is the coach because with thinking like that, we'd be the Houston Texans.

mgteich said:
I suppose you guys prefer Gay, Poole, and Chad Scott who didn't play injured to Starks who risked the rest of his career to play injured. There is no question that Starks was very injured when he played. As I said at the time, I think we would have gone 2-6 or 3-5 without Starks. He played because he was the best we had, and the best available. Of course, we all are free to disagree with Mangini's, bb's and pioli's judgement on the matter. Starks was physically very limited in what he could do out there. IMHO, it is a credit to Mangini and to Starks that our defensive backs held together well enough to win those first four games.

Starks will come back. IF HE IS HEALTHY, I expect him to start, be cut, or perhaps negotiate a minimum contract to be a backup (seems unlikely).

BTW, if Starks isn't at least the nickel, I would suggest that we difinitely need to sign another corner.

Risked the rest of what career? Sorry but I'm not buying. The only voice we've heard on the extent and nature of any injury is Duane's. BB isn't inclined to play players who are injured to the extent that their career's are in jeopardy. Neither is the medical staff. BB certainly admires the ones who can suck it up and play hurt, and rightly so, but there is a difference between hurt and injured in that respect. I also don't buy Mangini and BB were handcuffing this defense early, I believe they were handcuffed by the inability of many to execute fundamantally sound basic defense. As TJ noted was also the case in 2000, and again in 2002, when the coaches eventually had to dumb it down to the players comfort level until they were ready to absorb and execute more complex schemes.

For the record, Duane's career went down the crapper the day he left the cozy confines of the mighty Ravens defense and signed for the big payday with Arizona. Why he floundered there is anyone's guess, as Rodney opined on WEEI the day after he was IR'd, but he did. Obviously he was a player BB hoped would benefit from a change of scenery and a return to a defensive oriented team with lots of veteran support. It didn't work out too well, but I got the distinct impression that Rodney realized it wasn't going to even before he went down.

In 8 NFL seasons Starks has

played in 94 games
62 in 4 years in Baltimore
32 in the 4 years thereafter

made 25 Interceptions
20 in 4 years in Baltimore
5 in 4 years thereafter (and none as a Patriot)

defensed 73 passes
53 in 4 years in Baltimore
20 in 4 years thereafter

I for one sense an emerging pattern here. I also think that rather than Starks being the team guy who played injured because we needed him, BB simply was forced to play him and stick with him because there was no available alternative. They didn't want to rush Hobbs because of his potential, and Poole, Gay and others weren't available.

Duane didn't participate in the Patriots off season conditioning program after we traded for him. He prefers to train in Miami with Shockey and the rest of the U of M training cult. BB didn't get to see much of him aside from mini camps until he appeared for TC. I think a decision on the secondary going forward will have been made before he is mandated to show up again.

I greatly doubt he will be back. Cutting him will save $3.5M on the cap that can be better spent on another CB (and we need a few because I think they are done waiting for Poole too), or something else equally useful. I also think Duane probably dislikes playing for us almost as much as most of us dislike having to watch him play. And I got the sense his teamates are at best ambivalent about his future.

MoLewisrocks said:
I greatly doubt he will be back. Cutting him will save $3.5M on the cap that can be better spent on another CB (and we need a few because I think they are done waiting for Poole too), or something else equally useful. I also think Duane probably dislikes playing for us almost as much as most of us dislike having to watch him play. And I got the sense his teamates are at best ambivalent about his future.
I agree he won't be back at a cap number of 5.1M, the question is whether he is willing to renegotiate downward significantly. He is at a career crossroads and may see renegotiation to resurrect his career here as his best move. I don't think it's the most likely outcome, but it could happen.

Last edited:
Starks' play has been trending downwards for years, even during his last year in Baltimore. I don't want to put all the blame on him for those long passes, as we had other secondary issues, but did he make one play all year? I don't remember him defending any passes. Receivers were catching balls on him all year, short, medium, and long. I think Starks will be around for depth last year, but there's no way he's a starting calibre CB anymore.

DaBruinz said:
Yep. Lets just IGNORE the fact that he was playing with a severe shoulder injury.

I can't believe we're reposting all this again. Oh well since the old thread was lost I guess it's good to have for posterity. I'm well aware of his "severe shoulder injury". All this has been gone over and over and I stated last time and I state now if he (or any other player) is too injured to play effectively or whether they just don't have the intelligence and ability it doesn't matter. He wasn't getting it done and I for one feel better he is not there in the play-offs.

Lets also ignore the fact that the help he was supposed to have wasn't there.
Hmmm they don't seem to really be having that problem since he's been out. Hmmm I guess they just didn't like poor Duane.

Great thinking Michael.
Thank you for acknowledging it.

I am so glad BB is the coach because with thinking like that, we'd be the Houston Texans.
I'm glad too. And since he is the great BB he put Starks on IR and they are 7-2 since his absence. Looks like the Patriots to me. :D

DaBruinz said:
Yep. Lets just IGNORE the fact that he was playing with a severe shoulder injury. Lets also ignore the fact that the help he was supposed to have wasn't there. Great thinking Michael. I am so glad BB is the coach because with thinking like that, we'd be the Houston Texans.

Well, I personally think the move to IR was more of a pity move than a necessity. They guy didn't live up to his billing.

Maybe injury played a part, but he hasn't played well since Baltimore, so I tend to doubt it.

Either way, you seem far too emotionally invested in Starks IMHO.

mgteich said:

MGT,

I have said repeatedly, please cut Starks some slack. When we didn't have enough bodies to put on the field, he buckled up his chin strap and limped out and played even though he couldn't tackle because of the torn up shoulder; and couldn't run because of the bum leg.

Sometimes you have to disregard your own wlefare for the good of the TEAM, and IMHO that is what Starks did. I look forward to seeing the healthy Starks next year. Obviously I consider him a T-E-A-M PLAYER.

BTW, the 2006 Patriots are shaping up to be the strongest and greatest version of the Patriots this decade. The best is yet too come! Amazing job for belichick and Pioli

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes