PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking a quick peek at 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, stuff, pats1.

Most of my thoughts were already voiced by other posters, but one point is that McGowan only signed a 2 year deal (2009 and 2010).

If they can't get him to re-up, safety would be a concern again for 2011 and Sanders could end up back as a starter or third safety (if surpassed by Chung as we hope). An aging Springs (if still on the roster) would be another option.

Meriweather and McGowan, assuming he continues to surpass anyone's wildest dreams of his performance, seem to be set as part of the Patriots' safety rotation in the next 3-4 years. If all goes well, Chung will join that group (a la Meriweather in 2007-08) and Sanders will be phased out, even though he is a decent player who will find more playing time elsewhere.

Interesting, stuff, pats1.

Most of my thoughts were already voiced by other posters, but one point is that McGowan only signed a 2 year deal (2009 and 2010).

If they can't get him to re-up, safety would be a concern again for 2011 and Sanders could end up back as a starter or third safety (if surpassed by Chung as we hope). An aging Springs (if still on the roster) would be another option.

Assuming he doesn't turn into Ed Reed by then, I think he'll be back.

For once, I wish they'd invest in a top notch RB.. this stingy "get them off the scrap heap and squeeze them" philosophy is exasperating me to no end.

#4 overall last year and #7 overall this year, despite injuries in both seasons, makes me question what you're saying here.

Going into last years draft I thought the Pats would try to augment the right side of the OL, especially RG, address needs at OLB, and depth at ILB.

With the McKenzie pick they did some of that, I was disappointed by his injury.

I don't think my opinion has changed much. Neal is a very good RG but is getting older and has been injury prone lately (fingers crossed for this season). LB depth is still and issue. I love seeing Junior play, but the fact that he is on the team right now indicates to me that the Pats depth at LB is wanting.

I am not a Maroney basher, but the Pats stable of RBs will be thin next year I wouldn't be suprised to see a RB selected early.

TE will likely be a need if Watson doesn't resign and BB has shown a willingness to draft TEs early.

Frankly the Pats have a lot of depth through out the team, and because of this can really go any direction they want in the draft. It's nice to root for a team that that clearly has an established system and plan in place and executes that plan so well.

Though I suffered through the 70s and 80s with the Pats I thanks the lord for not letting me be born in Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, NJ, Buffalo, Dallas, Jacksonville or TB. BB and Kraft have made the YEARS of suffering worth it.

Mankins is a RFA? that's great news. Might explain why he's playing subpar this year knowing he's not getting a big contract next year.

I agree Ghost is a 1st round tender. Most teams would jump at the opportunity to get a pro-bowl kicker for a second round pick.

GUARD

Yes, I would have preferred to use a higher pick on this position in the 2009 draft, since Neal is a UFA and Mankins could be an UFA if there is a cap. But the key is that these are 2010 situations. Belichick chose to use a 4th for a developmental guard along while continuing to develop Connolly and Wendell. Belichick also brought in a veteran who has started for other teams at guard in Simmons.

Ohrnberger may have been a poor choice, but it seems to be a reasonable strategy to develop guards when we have no 2009 need, and to bring in a starting quality veteran backup.

Even if we were to lose both our starters, I would expect us to fine at this position. I would expect us to draft a guard or two in the first two rounds. In recent drafts, starting lineman have been available. Even this year, we could have Simmons and Connolly starting if there were injuries.

My BOTTOM LINE is that we have better depth and better preparation for the future on the OL than in any year that I can remember.

Going into last years draft I thought the Pats would try to augment the right side of the OL, especially RG, address needs at OLB, and depth at ILB.

With the McKenzie pick they did some of that, I was disappointed by his injury.

I don't think my opinion has changed much. Neal is a very good RG but is getting older and has been injury prone lately (fingers crossed for this season). LB depth is still and issue. I love seeing Junior play, but the fact that he is on the team right now indicates to me that the Pats depth at LB is wanting.

I am not a Maroney basher, but the Pats stable of RBs will be thin next year I wouldn't be suprised to see a RB selected early.

TE will likely be a need if Watson doesn't resign and BB has shown a willingness to draft TEs early.

Frankly the Pats have a lot of depth through out the team, and because of this can really go any direction they want in the draft. It's nice to root for a team that that clearly has an established system and plan in place and executes that plan so well.

Though I suffered through the 70s and 80s with the Pats I thanks the lord for not letting me be born in Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, NJ, Buffalo, Dallas, Jacksonville or TB. BB and Kraft have made the YEARS of suffering worth it.

So... with the release of Simmons that leaves Connolly, Ohrnberger, Wendell and Bussey as the guards behind Mankins and Neal.

I think Watson is gone at the end of the season. I don't think the Patriots are going to be willing to spend what it's going to take to keep him here. This is of course ignoring whatever crazy salary cap rules there are next year. (Even then I don't think they are going to pay up)

I also wonder if they could switch light to the right side and keep Vollmer at LT. The entire o-line has been relatively good, but I would like to see them try to improve it with some 1st or 2nd round picks. An elite offensive line could be an incredible asset to this team, especially with Brady getting older and even less mobile. My hope is that a franchise left tackle becomes available with the Raiders 2011 pick.

Last edited:
I think Watson is gone at the end of the season. I don't think the Patriots are going to be willing to spend what it's going to take to keep him here. This is of course ignoring whatever crazy salary cap rules there are next year. (Even then I don't think they are going to pay up)

I also wonder if they could switch light to the right side and keep Vollmer at LT. The entire o-line has been relatively good, but I would like to see them try to improve it with some 1st or 2nd round picks. An elite offensive line could be an incredible asset to this team, especially with Brady getting older and even less mobile. My hope is that a franchise left tackle becomes available with the Raiders 2011 pick.

Kaczur just got extended; he didn't get extended and paid to be a 3rd OT.

Are you thinking that LeVoir just been extended and paid to be a 3rd OT?

Kaczur just got extended; he didn't get extended and paid to be a 3rd OT.

Yes. Connolly and Wendell are also backup centers. We don't know much about Ohrnberger or Bussey.

So... with the release of Simmons that leaves Connolly, Ohrnberger, Wendell and Bussey as the guards behind Mankins and Neal.

Are you thinking that LeVoir just been extended and paid to be a 3rd OT?

Yes, I believe Kaczur and LeVoir were extended to be a starter and a top reserve, respectively. Adding Vollmer into that mix, it leaves no room for Light.

I had a big long post written but its mainly just agreeing with the op on most stuff. The only key points for me are the following

The first thing for me is that Ben Watson will be around as long as Tom Brady is around. Brady likes him so he is going nowhere. So thats two tight ends. We could do with one more.

Secondly Faulk is a great servant and I'm certain he will be around next year. Morris has spent a lot of time injured since he came here and he will be 34 next year and Taylor is will be 34 also and if he is out for the season its hard to see us keeping him. I think we should look to bring in a RB with a high pick. I mean three 34 year olds is just a bit old imo.

I think we should look to bring in a RB with a high pick. I mean three 34 year olds is just a bit old imo.

I agree with your assessment on RB's. Regardless of whether Maroney picks up his play, I see the Pats using a 2nd-4th round draft pick on a RB while picking one up in free agency. It's time to bring in some young blood at RB.

Nugent did come to mind. However, Gostkowski is one of the top kickers in the game and and a team with a low-end first-round pick may consider him to be more valuable than whoever is projected to be available at that point in the draft. It's a stretch, yes, but the Pats would left in an uncomfortable position if some team was to make that gamble.

Ghost is great, but hes a kicker. If some team "steals" him and gives the Pats a 1st and 3rd, Belli will send christmas cards for years.

Julio Jones and Green will be going in 2011 draft right? Got to get one of those then.

Julio Jones and Green will be going in 2011 draft right? Got to get one of those then.

Michael Floyd and DeAndre Brown should also be coming out in 2011 - possibly the best group of WRs ever in one draft.

Michael Floyd and DeAndre Brown should also be coming out in 2011 - possibly the best group of WRs ever in one draft.

Nice, yeah absolutely a must then.

Yea Id be surprised if the Raiders pick isn't used to take a Moss successor

Last edited:
Yea Id be surprised if the Raiders pick isn't used to take a Moss predecessor

Only if there's a rookie pay scale. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes