PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking a deep breath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you mean by lack of imagination and cohesion.

Let's look at this year's Patriot's free agent class. Jarvis Greene is probably going away. Kevin Falk is not signed, I expect him to be back but who knows what would happen if the Bills or the Jets offered him a big contract. Bodden was not signed during the season and is also probably gone. They let Vince become a major distraction because they didn't have the foresight to sign him before the season ended. They allowd TBC to back out of the extension they agreed upon mid last season.They have allowed themselves to be included in the discussion with offers they probably knew wouldn't get accepted.

They have no offensive coordinator, and their offense often looked like they didn't have one last year. Their defensive coordinator thankfully was allowed to leave but they haven't named a replacement. I know it is just a title, but it points to either indecision or confusion. They had the chance to bring Romeo back but waited a day too long, making me believe that they didn't want him back. It is OK if they didn't want him but the hole left in the coaching staff just means that Belichick has more on his plate. We've all seen that before and it wasn't pretty when it happened with the Browns.

All I can do is look at what I see and make a judgement. It could be a bad judgement but I don't see the Patriots as serious contenders for the division, never mind the championship. If they are hoping the draft will pull them through then I am even more skeptical looking back on their last three drafts. Plus there is the salary cap exemption this year. They should be bringing people in and rebuilding the team. I don't want them spending uncontrollably but the only thing that they have to lose this year is a little money. Bring players in, sign them to signing bonuses and if it doesn't work out there isn't a cap number to worry about.

I hope I am wrong and you are right but I just don't like the way this feels, if you know what I mean. There doesn't seem to be a plan. Take the Boldin episode. He was had for a third and a fifth? We could have beaten that and screwed the team that knocked us out of the playoffs at the same time. We needed a middle linebacker and we let Maimi sign the best one on the market without even trying to talk to him. We have big holes and we are doing very little to fill them.

Back in 2003, were people frantically mashing the panic button around here in the offseason? I wasn't around then, so I'm curious to know.

Back in 2003, were people frantically mashing the panic button around here in the offseason? I wasn't around then, so I'm curious to know.
yes they were

I don't think as much in 2003, but 2007 it was almost as bad. I think it is worse now because there are far more people who who think Belichick has turned into Al Davis or something. Listening to some of the people here, you would think Bobby Grier was making the calls again.

I would absolutely question signing Bryant. I am on record that I didnt want Bolden.
I dont know if 5-6 mill is necessarily big moeny anymore, but that isnt the point you are getting at.

BB has, over the years paid heavily for his own players, right now thats Brady, Moss, Wilfork and unfortunately Thomas. And in some cases a big signing happens (Colvin, Thomas) because it fits within the system, and/or the price fits the value.
I'm not saying NEVER sign a big money guy. We do that consistently, but VERY rarely is it a UFA and almost never is it at the beginning of Free Agency when the prices are elevated.
If we signed Peppers on Friday, yes I would have criticized that move as inconsistent with the model that built this franchise and made it more successful than any other.
But, that doesnt mean it is a bad move. Only time will tell.
I would consider it bad only because:
-Teams that win tend to not make those moves and
-Teams that make those moves seem never to win Championships

Somehow, because BB has been enormously successful, it has become wrong to support decisions that are consistent with what he has done for 10 years, and I don't understand that.

Somehow, this board has turned into a bunch of people who think that they are better than everyone else if they deride supporting the guy who knows more than any of us, and find it ignorant to not act as if I am smarter than BB. I don't get that either.
I imagine we should just turn the board into a bunch of people who complain about everything talk about how BB is sitting around mired in complacency and doesn't have a clue how to build a football team.
I guess thats the honorable thing to do, and supporting a continuation of the approach that has created one of if not the most successful runs in NFL history is stupid.
Frankly, its tiring.

Can I ask exactly why you didn't want to sign specifically Boldin and/or Bryant?

Let's look at this year's Patriot's free agent class. Jarvis Greene is probably going away. Kevin Falk is not signed, I expect him to be back but who knows what would happen if the Bills or the Jets offered him a big contract. Bodden was not signed during the season and is also probably gone. They let Vince become a major distraction because they didn't have the foresight to sign him before the season ended. They allowd TBC to back out of the extension they agreed upon mid last season.They have allowed themselves to be included in the discussion with offers they probably knew wouldn't get accepted.

Teams lose Free agents.
All the things you named are normal with all teams.
I think they are letting Green walk, and should.
Faulk said he is a Patriot or retired.
Bodden wanted to be a FA. You cant sign him if he doesnt want to be signed.
How was Vince a majr distraction? Distraction to who? Do you really think that articles in the newspaper in February mean anything?
What should they have done handcuffed TBC to a chair and not 'allow him' to not extend?
What difference does it make it there were reports about them possibly making offers that were not accepted? What does that hurt? Would you rather they make no offers?
It seems your concerns are about whether your hopes are up or not, rather than how they are going about building the team.

They have no offensive coordinator, and their offense often looked like they didn't have one last year. Their defensive coordinator thankfully was allowed to leave but they haven't named a replacement. I know it is just a title, but it points to either indecision or confusion. They had the chance to bring Romeo back but waited a day too long, making me believe that they didn't want him back. It is OK if they didn't want him but the hole left in the coaching staff just means that Belichick has more on his plate. We've all seen that before and it wasn't pretty when it happened with the Browns.

They have made a decision about OC. You asked for imagination and cohesion. It is imaginative to share the coordinators duties among more assistants. It is cohesive to keep the same structure as last year. Where does indecision or confusion come in? BB is decisive about how he wants to handle it, and has developed a well considered plan. The fact that he hasnt shared it with the media doesnt mean he is confused and it doesnt exist or that no one knows who is responsible for which share of the duties typically handled by the coordinator.
Why does a lack of coordinators mean BB has to do more? In our system, like most, the designated coordinator coaches a position and has additional duties as the coordinator (running practice, leading the gameplanning sessions, play calling, etc). We are spreading those duties among the position coaches rather than putting all of them on just one. That doesn't change BBs job.

All I can do is look at what I see and make a judgement. It could be a bad judgement but I don't see the Patriots as serious contenders for the division, never mind the championship. If they are hoping the draft will pull them through then I am even more skeptical looking back on their last three drafts. Plus there is the salary cap exemption this year. They should be bringing people in and rebuilding the team. I don't want them spending uncontrollably but the only thing that they have to lose this year is a little money. Bring players in, sign them to signing bonuses and if it doesn't work out there isn't a cap number to worry about.

They just won the division and so far have lost no one, possibly Bodden. How does that make them not even in contention?
They did not sign the 4-5 highest paid FAs how is that 'hoping the draft puls them through?
You do know that there will be a cap again and these deals will count toward it right? You cant manipulate the cap to make it all count this year. Besides, as I have said show me a case where signinghigh priced free agents has worked.

I hope I am wrong and you are right but I just don't like the way this feels, if you know what I mean. There doesn't seem to be a plan. Take the Boldin episode. He was had for a third and a fifth? We could have beaten that and screwed the team that knocked us out of the playoffs at the same time. We needed a middle linebacker and we let Maimi sign the best one on the market without even trying to talk to him. We have big holes and we are doing very little to fill them.
Again if you are going to judge the season based upon popularity of signed players and name value, you will hate every Pat off-season, but that has never paid off, look at the Redskins as prime example but many pretenders follow that plan.
Not signing overpriced players is not equal to not having a plan, it is equal to having a plan that doesn't provide you with instant gratification in the first 4 days of free agency. Thats not what we are playing for though.

I dont know how to separate the paragraphs as others do, so my comments are above in bold

Can I ask exactly why you didn't want to sign specifically Boldin and/or Bryant?

Let me clarify that. I would take them if there were not other factors.
The primary factors are that we have other needs, and I do not see any record by any team ever of having success by signing high priced big name free agents early in free agency. Thats a tent over all of those guys which there surely are exceptions to, but I don't believe in the strategy simply because its never worked.
I believe we are still operating under a cap. While it doesnt apply to this season, the Patriots, and other successful teams always plan years into the future in cap management.
So it is still a fact that every signing means sacrifice elsewhere.
I do not see WR as a spot where the need is worthy of a high priced top end player. We already have Moss and Welker. I am willing to gamble that when Welker is back he can still play more than I am willing to ignore filling other needs. I am fine with a mid level guy and a draft choice to fill out the WR position, and put our resources into OLB, CB and depth on defense and the OL. (and yeah we need to do something about TE too)
I think 3 100 catch recievers is overkill, and i do not want us to become/remian a team that revolves around WRs and the passing game, i want balance across the offense, defense and sts.

I dont know how to separate the paragraphs as others do, so my comments are above in bold

<quote>quoted text</quote>
response

<quote>2nd quoted text</quote>
2nd response

replace < with [ and > with ]

AJ,
I have to ask your opinion then. Where do you put the Patriots in the AFC East? Do you see them taking the division, if so why? I appreciate your caution and you optimism, but what have you seen this off season to make your assurances any more relative than my opinions? I try not to jump to conclusions so this is a departure for me. I just look back at the time from the end of the season to today and I see disarray. Hell, they even released their best and only tight end with no replacement.

If you look at the Patriots roster and compare it to either the Miami or Jets rosters I don't see how you can say the other rosters aren't better. The difference is Tom Brady, and he is in the last year of hs contract, along with many more members of this year's roster. In the past I always thought that the Pats had it under control, this year I don't see it that way. I see them reacting rather than acting. I see them scrambling to sign their own players rather than trying to fill the holes in the team. I believe in how they do business, but last year we knew where the problems were and their fixes didn't work. Their defensive backfield got better while their pass rush got worse. Their best pass rusher going into the season turned against the head coach, and their offense became timid at the worst possible times.

I am not overacting here, I am stating facts. Unless they do something to fill some of the glaring holes in their defense they will not make the playoffs next year. To fill those holes they have to sign veterans, not draft picks. Unless they find some speed on the outside the offense will again revolve around Moss and the slot, and how did that work out last year against the good teams, and this year our division is filled with good teams.

I wish I could be as positive as you are, but at this point history shows us a team ready to fall. The timing of this year's uncapped year should have made the Patriots players, instead they are bystanders and bargain hunters. I know one man's junk is another mans treasure but usually junk ends up being junk.

So, you are just stating facts and NOT overreacting.

We were division winners last year.
We are less than ONE WEEK into the offseason.
And now, the jets and miami are clearly better than we are.

I would indeed calling that overreacting. nad just BTW, do you think the jets running game will improve with Jones gone and Washington possibly gone?

QUOTE=E Belichick Unum;1752103]AJ,
I have to ask your opinion then. Where do you put the Patriots in the AFC East? Do you see them taking the division, if so why? I appreciate your caution and you optimism, but what have you seen this off season to make your assurances any more relative than my opinions? I try not to jump to conclusions so this is a departure for me. I just look back at the time from the end of the season to today and I see disarray. Hell, they even released their best and only tight end with no replacement.

If you look at the Patriots roster and compare it to either the Miami or Jets rosters I don't see how you can say the other rosters aren't better. The difference is Tom Brady, and he is in the last year of hs contract, along with many more members of this year's roster. In the past I always thought that the Pats had it under control, this year I don't see it that way. I see them reacting rather than acting. I see them scrambling to sign their own players rather than trying to fill the holes in the team. I believe in how they do business, but last year we knew where the problems were and their fixes didn't work. Their defensive backfield got better while their pass rush got worse. Their best pass rusher going into the season turned against the head coach, and their offense became timid at the worst possible times.

I am not overacting here, I am stating facts. Unless they do something to fill some of the glaring holes in their defense they will not make the playoffs next year. To fill those holes they have to sign veterans, not draft picks. Unless they find some speed on the outside the offense will again revolve around Moss and the slot, and how did that work out last year against the good teams, and this year our division is filled with good teams.

I wish I could be as positive as you are, but at this point history shows us a team ready to fall. The timing of this year's uncapped year should have made the Patriots players, instead they are bystanders and bargain hunters. I know one man's junk is another mans treasure but usually junk ends up being junk.[/QUOTE]

So, you are just stating facts and NOT overreacting.

We were division winners last year.
We are less than ONE WEEK into the offseason.
And now, the jets and miami are clearly better than we are.

I would indeed calling that overreacting. nad just BTW, do you think the jets running game will improve with Jones gone and Washington possibly gone?

Actually, take Tom Brady away from last years roster and the Jets roster was better than ours was. I am looking at trends here. All of the teams in the division are playing catch up. If the Jets lose Thomas Jones it will be a loss, but Shone Greene looks like a player. Can the Patriots say the same thing with their roster? I suppose we could put Julius Edleman in that catagory but even with him we need to add to that position.

If the Patriots lose to Miami and the Jets this season it will ruin our season. Not because I am over reacting but because they play in the same division. And we can't say that last year was an aberation either, the Pats were a 10-6 team. When they had the chance to be a 12-4 team they choked, something a Patriots team never used to do.

We cannot win a championship without wining the division, and right now we cannot win the division. We can't apply pressure to the opposing QB and we have trouble stretching the field against good team. The trend in NE is that they are not spending their money right. I was not in favor of paying Asante, I was wrong. I look at last years draft and all I see is potential, but that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee. I want to believe, but the rend is pointing down while the Miami and NY trends point up. And I do not believe that less equals more when it comes to the coaching staff. I believe that the Pees era was a passive mistake, but the Pats response is to do nothing. It could be that Pepper Johnson or Matt Patricia will be genius, but question marks are all I see right now. So, in reality, it all comes down in in Bill we trust, and I can live with that, but I still have my opinion.

In 9 months when we lead the league in defense and are getting ready for the playoffs as a number 1 or 2 seed, I will tell all that I was wrong. I look forward to being wrong.

Actually, take Tom Brady away from last years roster and the Jets roster was better than ours was.

This makes no sense. Take Revis away from the Jets and our secondary is twice as good as theirs.

We cannot win a championship without wining the division, and right now we cannot win the division.

You are right, we can't win the division. But neither can the Jets as no one can win a division in March.

In 9 months when we lead the league in defense and are getting ready for the playoffs as a number 1 or 2 seed, I will tell all that I was wrong. I look forward to being wrong.

I -hate- this kind of attitude. Hope for the best, predict the worst, so no matter the outcome you are "happy". Put yourself in position to either be "right" or "happy to be wrong".

JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

The water is still really cold, so if your not sure at least make sure someone is around to drag you to shore quickly......hypothermia will put a serious damper on your day!

Good Luck !:singing:

Let me clarify that. I would take them if there were not other factors.
The primary factors are that we have other needs, and I do not see any record by any team ever of having success by signing high priced big name free agents early in free agency. Thats a tent over all of those guys which there surely are exceptions to, but I don't believe in the strategy simply because its never worked.
I believe we are still operating under a cap. While it doesnt apply to this season, the Patriots, and other successful teams always plan years into the future in cap management.
So it is still a fact that every signing means sacrifice elsewhere.
I do not see WR as a spot where the need is worthy of a high priced top end player. We already have Moss and Welker. I am willing to gamble that when Welker is back he can still play more than I am willing to ignore filling other needs. I am fine with a mid level guy and a draft choice to fill out the WR position, and put our resources into OLB, CB and depth on defense and the OL. (and yeah we need to do something about TE too)
I think 3 100 catch recievers is overkill, and i do not want us to become/remian a team that revolves around WRs and the passing game, i want balance across the offense, defense and sts.

So basically, one can say that you prefer on building a team/filling needs through the draft and picking up role players through free agency and/or trade then?

I don't think as much in 2003, but 2007 it was almost as bad. I think it is worse now because there are far more people who who think Belichick has turned into Al Davis or something. Listening to some of the people here, you would think Bobby Grier was making the calls again.

I was talking about after the Milloy cut and the loss to Buffalo. It was the lowpoint of hater mob mentality.

<quote>quoted text</quote>
response

<quote>2nd quoted text</quote>
2nd response

replace < with [ and > with ]

OK, but how do I get the text in to do that with?
Do I reply with quote, or cut and paste?

OK, but how do I get the text in to do that with?
Do I reply with quote, or cut and paste?

I usually start with hitting quote, then adding in the relative [ quote ] and [ /quote ] around the sections I want to respond to inline. Note that hitting quote has the effect of adding in the entire text between the [ quote ] and [ /quote ]

When I'm not sure if I'm doing a code right I hit preview post to check if I have the desired result.

Last edited:
So you feel that being aggressive and going after the highly rated players is better than spreading money across the roster? (BTW, what you consider complacency is actually a necessity of not overspending on a few players....you cant sign the middle tier until the top tier sets the market. The type of players we want aren't signing yet. You don't really think that BB has decided that it isnt worth his effort to be invloved in Free Agency and he rather take a nap than bring a player in do you?)
If I am going to take you position seriously you would have to show me examples of teams that have done what you are saying BB is wrong to not be doing and had it work.

Take a look at the most successful franchsies in the NFL in this era.
How many free agents are the Steelers, Colts, Eagels, Chargers and Patriots signing in these first few high priced days? How many do they ever?

Managing a roster in a capped system (and if you think teams don't have to operate knowing the cap will be back next year, you just arent paying attention) is a lot like budgetting your money.
If you get paid once a month on the first of the month, do you cash your check, and bring the family to the mall with a fi(Please be quiet - edited)l of money? You may get the new big screen, the WII, and all that, but you may not be eating on the 25th. Teams that 'have to have' the 'big name stars' ultimatley consistently end up shorting their roster, and if one thing has been proven in this era of the NFL its that you win by not having liabilities not by aligning superstars to overcome your liabilities in other areas.

Every team that has won a SB this decade has been a well rounded team that lacked flaws more than were dominant in one area. Many of them only won once they sacrificed that one area in order to be well rounded. (Saints, Colts, Steelers, Rams (well that was 1999 but same point) Bucs, to name a few, and of course the 3 by the Pats were based on that concept)
Look at our team itself. As the 'star power' increased, the rings went away. 2 years removed from the greatest offense ever, build around 3 superstars, we are in the worst shape of the decade. Spending big on names wont reverse that.

Let's face it Andy, you make good points most of the time. But the one fundamental flaw in your "worldview" as it relates to the Patriots is that they can do no wrong.

Let Wilfork walk, it's a good thing. They saved money to spread across the roster.

Re-sign Wilfork, it's a brilliant move locking up one of the best DL's in the business.

Let TBC walk, no big deal. He can be replaced.

The Pats re-sign TBC, and it's a savvy move and really when you look at the stats, he's as effective at rushing the passer as anyone in the league. :rolleyes:

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Before 2007, the Pats were aggressive through TRADES (Moss/Welker) and they went to a SB.

Before 2001, they signed a bunch of role players nobody else really wanted and went to the SB.

You can do it BOTH ways but as you pointed out, nobody is perfect. This year the plan seems to be to add some middling talent through FA, re-up their own and get better through the draft, on the long term.

What that means to fans is an unknown at this point but it's reasonable to believe things could get worse before they get better. When you maintain the status quo when it comes to veterans (which is precisely what they're doing as of today, probably minus Bodden, their best DB last year) it seems a little goofy to blindly assume or expect there will be different results in 2010.

AJ,

I wish I could be as positive as you are, but at this point history shows us a team ready to fall. The timing of this year's uncapped year should have made the Patriots players, instead they are bystanders and bargain hunters. I know one man's junk is another mans treasure but usually junk ends up being junk.

Well, we won the division. We won it somewhat handily too, since we didnt even need to show up for our last 2 games.
I don't see what has happened that elevated those teams above us.
The Jets signed 1 player who, IMO, helps them not at all.
Miami signed 1 player.
Have you looked at their losses, and potential losses?
The Jets lost their top RB on a team that cant throw. Miami lost Porter and possibly Taylor.
I havent even looked at what else they lost because its March.

Another way to look at it is the first week of FA belongs to the losers trying to strike it big. (Always has)
We have always chosen to spread money across the roster.

Im beginning to ramble and your question requires detail.
Essentially, my view of the Patriots is this:
-Starting in 2003-2004 the overall talent on the roster has steadily declined.
-That was inevitable because it would have taken 2 salary caps to afford all of our players when their contracts matured, or to replace them with equal talent.
-BB did, IMO, a tremendous job of hiding that for 4-5 years.
-He did that, IMO, by shifting the team from one that was solid at every position; able to dominate any teams weakness, and not be dominated by any teams strength. We did nothing the best of anyone, but did everything better than most. Over the ensuing years, he shifted to a team that was heavily talented at the top end, but had weaknesses that could be picked on by excellent teams, players and units.
-2006 masked it because the collapse in the 2nd half of the AFCC was thought to be a fluke
-2007 masked it because we did one thing so well, better than anyone ever had, that mediocrity in other areas wasn't noticed, until the SB.
-2008 masked it because it doesnt count if Brady is out.
-2009 put it in the spotlight.
We didnt degrade because we don't have good players. We didn't degrade because we suck at anything.
We degraded because our weakest areas were weaker than ever, and we could be dominated by the right players in the right scenarios. (Look back and there were hints each season, where 03-04 there were not)
What we lack is not a bunch of missing superstars. What we lack is the 'middle class'.
To simplify to the extreme, the worst 4 players (out of 22) you put on the field have a lot more to do with your success than the best 4 players.
You can extend that to say that really there are more like 30 players that have full time roles, and the guys between 18th and 30th best are the key to success.
What we need to do is to return to those routes. If we surround:
Brady
Moss
Welker
Mankins
Light and Vollmer
Wilfork
Warren
Mayo
TBC
Meriwhether

with players who can:
1) Trounce bad players
2) Beat average players
3) Not get dominated by great players
in other words, no worse than average or adequate,
we are back in Championship contention.

I listed 11 players above.
I would add
Maroney/Taylor/Morris (take your pick)
Koppen (I'll leave Neal out due to injuries)
Faulk
Butler
Kaczur (top backup OL)
Wright
Guyton
Sanders
as 8 more that certainly fit the description above.
That is 19 of the 30.

We also have:
Edelmen
Tate
Ornberger
Pryor
MCkenzie
Chung
Wilhite
Brace

as examples of guys who could fill in the rest of that 30.

IMO, the areas of need that most of us all agree upon only need to be filled by guys who fit that description of 'effective' like dozens of players on all of our Championship teams.

That is why I am patient about the tweaking that I think is necessary on this team.

I mean, we were a top 5 offense, and our defense was 5th in points allowed. Sure we can bemoan the imperfection of those ratings, but the bottom line is this:
When you look at those numbers and you consider points and yards gained and allowed, typically the favored metric, we were good enough to win the SB, but we fell short, well short for one critical reason:

We were bad in the clutch. That issue by itself separates this squad from 01,03,04 and even 07. Talent wise it was at least on a par.
But when it was time to make critical plays the 2009 oftentimes (and agaisnt the best competition) was at its worst, while the opposite of that statement was the heart and soul of the 01,03,04 teams.

When all is said and done, if you step back and analyze clutch play, it is blatantly obvious to me that clutch play in the NFL depends on the worst players on the field not the best ones. Plays are made when one player beats another, and when you are the highest level of competition, and at the most critical juncture game changing plays are usually made by the failure of one player in an 11 man unit not the superhuman play of one player in a group of 11.
Example: If you have one weak OL, it doesnt matter what the other 10 players do.
If you have one guy that cant cover, someone is always open.
Show me a team with an OL that is a terrible pass blocker or a DB that cant cover anyone, and I'll show you a team that fails in the clutch.

To wrap up this way too long post, my optimism is based upon the fact that I see us just as many players 'away' as you do, but I see those players needing to be adequate as part of the team concept, not superstars, meaning some are already here, and the resources we have to get the rest are sufficient.

This is why I deride the FA pursuit of high profile guys. Every one you sign ultimately creates 3 potential areas of weakness, because you have fewer resources to elevate bad to adequate. I will say for the 20th time in the last 3 days, show me one example of a team that used that approach and won big.

So basically, one can say that you prefer on building a team/filling needs through the draft and picking up role players through free agency and/or trade then?

Yes. If you have a few hours read what I just posted :)
IMO, the strength of a TEAM is its lack of weakness, rather than its greatest strength. Ultimately the opponents will attempt to expose your weakness and hold their own against your strength.
If you are adequate in every area, you are a 'clutch' team that doesn't fail in the big moment, as compared to a team that has more stars and more stiffs. (Of course you have to be one or the other, unless you just suck and have all stiffs)
That is the model I believe we won with 3 times.
We used to complain that individuals didnt get publicity, but really we have had more stars since winning a SB than we did while winning them, and steadily we have put more less than adequate players on the field around them.

I would love to have any superstar you can give me. But when the cost of having them means I must degrade other spots to liability, no thanks.

I recognize that this flies in the face of common perception, but when has common perception ever been a great yardstick.
I laugh when you here 'experts' analyze a team by naming 3 or 4 players as if those 3 or 4 are more important than the other 49 combined.
In essence if I put a liability on the field, he makes an adequate player facing him very good, a decent one a star, and a great player a game changer.
The other team isn't going to gameplan to make winning or losing come down to your best player determining the outcome, they are going to gameplan to expose your worst one. In football there is no way to hide a weakness at a clutch moment. (But its easy to hide them by having great strengths in other areas against bad and mediocre teams. Those top heavy teams destroy bad teams, rarely lose to average ones, and cant make the plays that are most important against the good ones. sound familiar?)
Again, I am too wordy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back