PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

T.J. Moe thread

How good/important could he have been last year? He was out for almost half the season, and during this time the team didn't miss a beat. BB has already brought in competition for Edelman on special teams in the form of Washington. So, this should be a sign that there is no real LOCK of Edelman making the team. He'll have to compete for the job just like every other schmoe.

Edelman was a key piece in both the second Jets game and the Colts game last year. People forget, but Edelman's punt return against the Colts was the play that completely flipped the momentum of the game after the Colts had gotten out to an early lead.

Also, Washington is not one of the main threats to unseat Edelman on the team. First, obviously they play different primary positions and offer completely different skill sets on offense. Second, Washington is known for being a great kick returner. Punt returner, not so much. He's pretty much an average punt returner. If anything, Washington was brought in as competition / replacement for Jeff Demps.

Not saying he won't have to compete, but Edelman is clearly the best punt returner on the team. Anyone that wants to unseat him from that position will have to prove that they can be as dynamic.

Along with the jets and colts game, he was great against the ravens.

With gronk staying into block and iirc Hernandez out, he was our only receiver that could beat the press.

Locks:
Amendola, Edelman, Boyce, Dobson, Slater

Bubble:
Jones, Moe

Boyce and Dobson obviously make the roster because they're rookies from high draft picks.

Because of Slater's uselessness as a receiver, I think that list is still one outside guy short. If none of Lloyd/Branch/Stallworth/Gaffney is re-signed, then Michael Jenkins has only to out-play Donald Jones
in order to make this team as a second Aaron Dobson-type of WR

The Boston Globe reports Julian Edelman has suffered a setback with his broken right foot, and is back in a walking boot.

Source: Shalise Manza Young on Twitter

well, there's that. :(

Uhhh...okay. Whatever.
200px-Horowitzmosesphoto.jpg

Gheesh, my bad for jinxing the guy :(...hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

You know it's the offseason when theres a 15 page thread on an undrafted receiver.

I'd say that with Edelman injuring his foot, it increases Moe's chances of making the 53.

Because of Slater's uselessness as a receiver, I think that list is still one outside guy short. If none of Lloyd/Branch/Stallworth/Gaffney is re-signed, then Michael Jenkins has only to out-play Donald Jones
in order to make this team as a second Aaron Dobson-type of WR

I really don't think so. Between Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, and Ridley you really only have one slot available for the other guys to get time with. I mean sure there are bound to be injuries but you don't need to go 5 deep. We already have 4 solid receivers in a 2 TE system.

I mean honestly I think Belichick always wanted to go with a 3 TE system like he did in 2010 and 2011 with Crumpler and Solder. This year we have Ballard so I expect him to see a to of snaps with Gronk and Hernandez, as much as they can get.

Edelman will be ready by camp, supposedly.

It was 3 plus Edelman last year: Welker, Lloyd and Salas. After a couple of weeks, Salas was cut in favor of Branch. We went through most of the season with Welker, Lloyd and Branch. Branch got a lot of reps because of the lack of depth at TE.

I really don't think so. Between Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, and Ridley you really only have one slot available for the other guys to get time with. I mean sure there are bound to be injuries but you don't need to go 5 deep. We already have 4 solid receivers in a 2 TE system.

I mean honestly I think Belichick always wanted to go with a 3 TE system like he did in 2010 and 2011 with Crumpler and Solder. This year we have Ballard so I expect him to see a to of snaps with Gronk and Hernandez, as much as they can get.

Branch got a lot of reps because of the lack of depth at TE.

The fact that he got a lot of reps as you say, speaks volumes to how insanely ineffective Branch was this past season with his 16 total catches.

Hopefully we'll get better production from both of our WR3 and WR4, although as tony points out--the WR4 likely isn't going to contribute much unless of injury. Even then, the bar was set pretty low with:

WR3 Edelman 21 catches

WR4 Branch 16 catches

I think our WR4 (whoever that is) ends up with more than 16 catches this yr for sure, no matter what the circumstances are.

Very late to the whole discussion but two points:

Slater: As an All-Pro ST Gunner, for him to be cut he has to be beat out by not just Moe (or other name here) but ONE OTHER GUY - there are after all 2 GUNNERS on each punt. ODDS OF CUT = 0.0001.

Moe: Face it Binky Lovers, his resume reads PRACTICE SQUAD all over it.

He is an UDFA. That means nobody else was willing to expend hard draft-pick capital on him. So BB can afford to cut him and still KEEP HIM IN THE FOLD for 2014+ by putting him on the PS.

He is strictly a slot-receiver (short too). NO OTHER TEAM uses their slot receiver as effectively as the Pats. That means similar to above point - there is little competition for his services and a VERY HIGH CHANCE OF HIM PASSING WAIVERS to the PS. Even with other teams attempting to imitate the Pats - they are focused on the TE aspects and not so much the slot play - because they dont have the QB for that.

I would love to see the rags-riches story happen with him (or any ohter good story line); but unless he shows a TON OF STUFF in the 3 pre-season games that 'count' that would make other teams get interested when his name crosses the waiver wire; then BB is just going to hold him til the last cuts when no one else has room anyway and then stash him for future years.

He is an UDFA. That means nobody else was willing to expend hard draft-pick capital on him. So BB can afford to cut him and still KEEP HIM IN THE FOLD for 2014+ by putting him on the PS.

Not necessarily, other teams might have wanted him and there's always teams willing to pick up players the Pats cut.

He is strictly a slot-receiver (short too).

TJ Moe: 5'11" 204lbs
Josh Boyce: 5'11" 206lbs

Does that make Boyce short and "strictly a slot receiver" too?

Very late to the whole discussion but two points:

Slater: As an All-Pro ST Gunner, for him to be cut he has to be beat out by not just Moe (or other name here) but ONE OTHER GUY - there are after all 2 GUNNERS on each punt. ODDS OF CUT = 0.0001.

Moe: Face it Binky Lovers, his resume reads PRACTICE SQUAD all over it.

He is strictly a slot-receiver (short too). NO OTHER TEAM uses their slot receiver as effectively as the Pats. That means similar to above point - there is little competition for his services and a VERY HIGH CHANCE OF HIM PASSING WAIVERS to the PS. Even with other teams attempting to imitate the Pats - they are focused on the TE aspects and not so much the slot play - because they dont have the QB for that.

I would love to see the rags-riches story happen with him (or any ohter good story line); but unless he shows a TON OF STUFF in the 3 pre-season games that 'count' that would make other teams get interested when his name crosses the waiver wire; then BB is just going to hold him til the last cuts when no one else has room anyway and then stash him for future years.

In my humble opinion, you couldn't be more wrong. First off, as mentioned, he is not that "short". He's 5'11 and 204lbs. If he does not make the 53 man roster, which I think he has a decent shot it, there is NO WAY he makes it through waivers to the practice squad. There were multiple teams interested in signing him after the draft as evidenced by his guaranteed money ($30,000). If he is cut, he will be claimed on waivers.

This is nonsense. Teams were interested in Moe being part of their 90 man squad. That is not the same as wanting him for their 53 man squad in place of those who have been in camp and have won positions. It is rare for any 5th rounder or later rookie not to make the Practice Squad.

If he does not make the 53 man roster, which I think he has a decent shot it, there is NO WAY he makes it through waivers to the practice squad. There were multiple teams interested in signing him after the draft as evidenced by his guaranteed money ($30,000). If he is cut, he will be claimed on waivers.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back