PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stop with the whining about Cassel/Vrabel deal - BRADY IS BACK! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeShmoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Brady good to go?

One thing being missed in the Cassel trade is that BB would only have done this if he was 100% sure TB was good to go for next season

Which quite honestly is THE best bit of news to come out of all this:)

2 Reasons not to fret about only receiving KCs 2nd rounder...

1) Sending Cassel to the Chiefs simply all but guarantees Brady is ready for the start of Training Camp and will be back at the helm full time - This was not a certainty until this move,but now we know the team knows his recovery is good as it can be.

2) Now we have near 20M to go shopping for some talent in the secondary which we sorely need.

So stop the pouting - These 2 reasons above should keep any fan smiling.

Re: Stop with the whining about Cassel/Vrabel deal - BRADY IS BACK!

Meh. I guess.

Probably right. We should look at it as glass half full. I can't wait to see who they draft for our back 4.

1) Sending Cassel to the Chiefs simply all but guarantees Brady is ready for the start of Training Camp and will be back at the helm full time - This was not a certainty until this move,but now we know the team knows his recovery is good as it can be.

2) Now we have near 20M to go shopping for some talent in the secondary which we sorely need.

My guess is Brady's first pass of the season will be in the first regular season game. I bet you don't see him play one minute in the preseason. That being said, the Pats braintrust must be pretty sure that he will be ready. I would sign Damon Huard as inurance, he knows our system and has been here before.

The 20M space will be a huge disappointment if they don't sign anyone before the draft. They MUST sign at least 1 DB AND 1 WR. I'm happy with the Taylor & Baker signings so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

My guess is Brady's first pass of the season will be in the first regular season game. I bet you don't see him play one minute in the preseason. That being said, the Pats braintrust must be pretty sure that he will be ready. I would sign Damon Huard as inurance, he knows our system and has been here before.

The 20M space will be a huge disappointment if they don't sign anyone before the draft. They MUST sign at least 1 DB AND 1 WR. I'm happy with the Taylor & Baker signings so far.

I want the Pats to sign at least one CB and one S. With the departure of Gaffney, the Pats now need a 3rd WR. I hope that guy isn't Furry (a poor man's Wes Welker). I hope the Pats go after Devery Henderson, that guy makes plays.

I guess it would have been a better idea to just let Cassel walk away for nothing. :rolleyes:

Getting pick 34 ain't too shabby either when you're trying to get younger and staying cap friendly.

and..........

BB got to prove once again how classy he is by taking a guy he really respects and trading him away to a place that could 1) use him, and 2) not really hurt us, thus saving him the embarrassment of CUTTING him for cap reasons.

It's so obviously now that that is EXACTLY why Vrabes was included. We had no intentions of keeping him at his cap number. Cassel for #34....... and 18M in cap relief.

YES PLEASE.

Both things mentioned in this topic would have been true if we traded Cassel to ANY team.

Horrible trade. A second round pick? Come on.

We are talking about a guy that was nothing at the start of 08, we were packing his bags for him, he was a seventh round pick and we got a second round pick for him.. I dont understand the Vrabel thing, but Cassel lets face it was not worth more than that second, I dont understand why Vrabel could not have been had for a fifth, but there is lot of work to be done yet..

And yes, Brady is Back.. NEVER IN DOUBT...:rolleyes:

Actually, the best way to look at this trade is this. We let Cassel walk. We get the 97th pick in the 2010 draft. We moved up 63 spots and one year by tagging him. Pretty shrewd
I'd say. Vrabes was great. Will always be one of my all-time faves. But, it's time to move
on. I still love Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy. They were the main reason we got the 1st ring and I will forever be grateful. See how you can move on and succeed?

Is this the undertone that I am reading into...

Vrabel was going to be a cap casualty and by being traded to KC, it was a way to sweeten the deal and get Cassel's 14 mil off the books quick?

If Vrabel is gone before the 09 season started, than Cassel-for-the 34th pick seems reasonable. Its not sexy, but the 14 mil is. Now the Pats can sign Deltha O'Neal to that 46 mil contract extension!

I think we should have gotten another pick. But I think given the BB and Pioli relationship, we gave them a discount. This deal gives us enough money to resign Wilfork, Hobbs and Faulk.

There were not a lot of options out there for us so its a good deal for us.
Teams we thought might be interested in him went another route.
Can't wait till next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday