PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers match offer sheet retain RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why.. do... people... on... this... board... type... this... way...

Because..... we..... can.....

And I hated typing class.......

:rocker:

I'm glad other people are calling you on this so I didn't have to. I don't know if this is a rationalization because you lost him, but this doesn't make any sense. We don't play in the same division and while there's a playoff rivalry there, we don't play each other often enough for Mike and friends to be "obsessed with the Patriots".

We were terrified to look foolish? I just thought we were resigning a receiver because we lost Wallace. Silly me, I should've realized there were ulterior motives at play.

Agreed. This was a case, pure & simple, of New England doing what they always do: Assign a money number to a player and stick with it. It isn't a diss on the player, or his current team, or anything else. The Patriots place a monetary number on the value of a player to the organization, and if he agrees, then they sign him, If he dosen't, then he walks and no hard feeling all around.

I wish him luck, and a great season, except when he plays against New England. :)

If it makes you guys feel any better, I think all Steelers' fans are shocked by this too. I think we have the framework of a long term deal worked out with him though.

As for poor drafting of wide receivers, it's hard to miss on receivers this year. Guys like DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen will be there in the first round and Robert Woods and Da'Rick Rogers will be sittin' there in the second.

I thought Steelers fans panicked. Jeez.

The NE passing offense is complex and Brady will not even look your way if you dont know where you should be. Then, theres the rookie wall thats very real should NE reach the post season.

Say what you want about Lloyd.. At least he was on the field every game

lloyd was actually hurt most of the year but he played through it. And i still think he comes back for very cheap

TO, Moss, Stinko and Lloyd are some of the out of work Vet WRs looking for a job.

TO is looking pretty good right now.

Steelers match offer sheet retain Sanders

lloyd was actually hurt most of the year but he played through it. And i still think he comes back for very cheap

What was the injury?

Just so you know I have no issue with Lloyd as a player I have an issue with the Patriots and fans expecting Lloyd to go out and matchup with the opponents #1 CB every week. He would be a really good player matchup against the #2 CB's. It's not a knock on him he has never been that player with the exception of one year in Denver and even that was misleading.

I really really don't want Lloyd back, but I guess we almost have to sign him. He would get 900+ yards, and knows our system.

The hate for Lloyd on this site is comical. You would think after Ocho, Galloway, and Holt which were all total failures that people would worship the guy.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I am on a site with a bunch of chicken little whiners who know nothing about football. It better to just piss on players who dont meet their unrealistic expectations.

Any any poster who thought Lloyd was going to put up moss numbers (which we seem to have a few) is a moron.

I like Lloyds production but the problem seems to be his attitude in the locker room. The Pats may also be looking for a receiver that can stretch the field a bit more and not fall down after catching the ball.

TO, Moss, Stinko and Lloyd are some of the out of work Vet WRs looking for a job.

TO is looking pretty good right now.

JAGS-FAN.gif

Instead that third may be used for a 1-4 year deal on a future insurance salesmen who played WR in college but ultimately failed in the NFL.

There's no guarantee that Sanders would pick up the system or contribute, just like a rookie.

Wow all I have to say is if Sanders was worth 3-4 wins we should offer $10 mil a year easy.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my post?

Some comments on the comments:

1. The Pats assigned a number on Sanders they thought would get the job done, while still maintaining the reality that they were taking a risk on a player that hadn't proven he was worth the $5MM/yr number that's been thrown around here. Clearly the number was high enough to get the kid to sign, and more than what the Steeler where initially willing to pay.

2. I understand that the "OMG our WR's are the worst in the league, and our season is DOOMED" crowd is a distinct minority, but they are a very loud and vocal minority. They should know their rant is getting tiresome, mostly because they fail to even acknowledge any opposing views. Its as if they think if they say the same thing over and over again, it will make it true.

As of this moment Gronk Hernandez, Amendola, and Edelman are our 4 top receivers. No one here can doubt their skills as receivers. They all have proven that they can get open, catch the ball, and get yards after the catch. The ONLY issue with these 4 players is, can they stay on the field. J

ones has shown flashes, especially against the Pats, so who knows what he can be in a dynamic offense with a HOF QB. Jenkins is what he is. No illusions here. If he makes the team he can be that physical WR who is an additional red zone threat. A guy you can count on for 40 catches and 500 yds coming off the bench.

3. Whether its LLoyd coming back, some other FA or some draft pick, this RECEIVING corp as a will be just fine. It is ludicrous to compare it to the 2006 situation. The situations couldn't be more different.

BTW - it should be noted that despite all the flaws of that 2006 group, it was the 11th best passing attack in the league, the 7th best scoring offense, and a DEFENSIVE collapse from getting to the superbowl.

The tinfoil hat brigade should take a deep breath. Sanders isn't coming and that's a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint. The offense is going to be just fine. The defense is going to be significantly better, and the team is going to be in the mix come playoff time. Issues remain, but compared to the rest of league, they remain small.

Lloyd is a tosser as a person but could do a job if we need him for the season while a rookie gets up to speed with the system.

Why do I say this about him? When I was over there we managed to bump into him the next day while we wandered around Gillette and I asked if he would have a photo taken with my 8 year old (seeing as we had come all the way from Australia to the game). He refused and was just not nice about it. Sure his prerogative I guess but you could be nice to a kid. Its not hard.

On the field if he does the job for the Pats next year as a stop gap then great.

Lloyd is a tosser as a person but could do a job if we need him for the season while a rookie gets up to speed with the system.

Why do I say this about him? When I was over there we managed to bump into him the next day while we wandered around Gillette and I asked if he would have a photo taken with my 8 year old (seeing as we had come all the way from Australia to the game). He refused and was just not nice about it. Sure his prerogative I guess but you could be nice to a kid. Its not hard.

On the field if he does the job for the Pats next year as a stop gap then great.

Lloyd's personality may not be conducive for a young locker room. That being said, the team has put themselves in the position where they probably have to re-sign him, along with drafting two rookies (unless they plan on trying to pry Cruz from the Giants, which I don't see happening).

I think it's good because it shows BB that you need to build through the draft. It's too expsensive to do any other way. I bet he wishes he had the picks for stinko, haynesworth, etc. Not to mention Starks.

Find a smart WR who can get open and can learn the playbook.

I think it's good because it shows BB that you need to build through the draft. It's too expsensive to do any other way. I bet he wishes he had the picks for stinko, haynesworth, etc. Not to mention Starks.

Find a smart WR who can get open and can learn the playbook.

Starks????? anything else from ancient history we would like to rehash? I still cant believe BB drafted Adrian Klemm maybe we can that one back too?

Lloyd's personality may not be conducive for a young locker room. That being said, the team has put themselves in the position where they probably have to re-sign him, along with drafting two rookies (unless they plan on trying to pry Cruz from the Giants, which I don't see happening).
You must have your tinfoil hat on the locked and loaded position buddy, if you think the Pats are going to use 2 of their 5 draft picks on WR's, OR make an attempt on Victor Cruz.

So according to your view the Pats are going to have to resign Lloyd AND draft 2 more WR's, because obviously WR is the ONLY position on the field that matters. In your exaulted opinion the rest of the team can fend for itself, as long as we have all pro WR's we are just fine :rolleyes:

I dont think we have to bring back Lloyd just because we missed Sanders. I do think it is a possibility and I think he could have been brought back even with Lloyd had we gone all defense in the draft. Plus I think 2 WRs in the draft and Lloyd is a little bit of overkill. If we were to draft 2 I think one would be in the 7th. I would say having lost out on Sanders make drafting at least one in the first 3 rounds an almost certainty but 2 is overkill.

I think it might bot be the perfect situation but you have two players in Amendolla and Edelman that you can count on being the week one starters. You have a player in Jones who should at least be an adequate back up and you have added insurance in Jenkins (and any other WR we chose to bring back Branch and Stallworth).

This is very light at the top but I am not sure Lloyd does much to change that. He adds depth and I guess due to health reasons I might rather him to Edelman at 2 but to say we have to resign him just does not seem accurate to me.

Obviously I think we are better off still trying to find another option who could be number 1 or 2 on the depth chart. Whether that be going after Cruz which like you I agree is probably unlikely. Or going after a Danario Alexander which I think is unlikely too. The real X factor that I think will be interesting is to see if we could make some sort of trade. The whole league knows we were willing to give up a 3 for a interesting but not fully proven option at WR you would think someone might crawl out of the woodworks looking for that pick now.

I have to imagine he had a plan B in place should the steelers match. Plan B could be as simple as the draft and/or Lloyd. Or it could be something we have no idea about. For all we know BB had a trade discussed for a WR better than Sanders but didn't like the asking price and maybe now he meets it.

Personally I think the most logical plan B is probably the draft. And while you can pick on each option individually as whole this really doesnt look like that bad a group if we were to have Amendolla, Edelman, First Round rookie, Jones, and either Jenkins/Branch/Stallworth/Ebert or some other vet at WR5.

I dont think we have to bring back Lloyd just because we missed Sanders.

We don't have to bring back Lloyd because we missed on Sanders. We have to bring back Lloyd because the team elected to do nothing aside from bring in Amendola, two scrubs, and hinge their hopes on Sanders coming over. Further, we have to bring in Lloyd because the team now has to draft two WR's in the draft regardless. I've studied the draft and I can't see one that has experience in the offense we run. Therefore, it makes sense to bring back a guy that had 911 yards receiving for us last season and has experience in it. At the very least, he could assume the Branch role.

I do think it is a possibility and I think he could have been brought back even with Lloyd had we gone all defense in the draft. Plus I think 2 WRs in the draft and Lloyd is a little bit of overkill. If we were to draft 2 I think one would be in the 7th. I would say having lost out on Sanders make drafting at least one in the first 3 rounds an almost certainty but 2 is overkill.

I think it might bot be the perfect situation but you have two players in Amendolla and Edelman that you can count on being the week one starters.

Things you can count on with those two...

1. Mediocrity for Edelman.

2. Injury to at least one of them.

3. They both patrol the same level of the field, which just so happens to be the same level of the field our TE's patrol.

You have a player in Jones who should at least be an adequate back up and you have added insurance in Jenkins (and any other WR we chose to bring back Branch and Stallworth).

Jenkins should be cut by the end of TC unless this team has a complete failure at picking up another actual NFL caliber WR along the way. Jones has shown nothing to prove that he can man the flanker position. As of right now, flanker and split end are needs.

This is very light at the top but I am not sure Lloyd does much to change that. He adds depth and I guess due to health reasons I might rather him to Edelman at 2 but to say we have to resign him just does not seem accurate to me.

He adds a body that has experience that is capable of working outside the hashes. Without him, the two rookies need to not only understand the offense, but need to contribute immediately. With him, only one essentially needs to do that. If they both come in and contribute immediately, Lloyd provides a vast upgrade to what Branch was able to give us and the passing offense becomes that much more dangerous.

Obviously I think we are better off still trying to find another option who could be number 1 or 2 on the depth chart. Whether that be going after Cruz which like you I agree is probably unlikely. Or going after a Danario Alexander which I think is unlikely too. The real X factor that I think will be interesting is to see if we could make some sort of trade. The whole league knows we were willing to give up a 3 for a interesting but not fully proven option at WR you would think someone might crawl out of the woodworks looking for that pick now.

What are we going to use as a trade and who is open for it?

I have to imagine he had a plan B in place should the steelers match. Plan B could be as simple as the draft and/or Lloyd. Or it could be something we have no idea about. For all we know BB had a trade discussed for a WR better than Sanders but didn't like the asking price and maybe now he meets it.

I would hope that Belichick has a Plan B. Otherwise, the WR situation as it is currently constructed is totally inexcusable.

Personally I think the most logical plan B is probably the draft. And while you can pick on each option individually as whole this really doesnt look like that bad a group if we were to have Amendolla, Edelman, First Round rookie, Jones, and either Jenkins/Branch/Stallworth/Ebert or some other vet at WR5.

The team will probably go to the draft. They will also probably double dip at the WR position since it's a very deep year for that position. They can trade down/out of the first round, double dip at WR, and still acquire prospects at DE and CB/S.

Not happy about this, but it is what it is. I think Sanders is the type of receiver who could really flourish in New England's system, since he's noted as a great route runner.

So spend the money on Abraham and I'm happy anyway. To me, the offense really resides on the shoulders of Gronk and Hernandez...and I really don't understand the increasing negativity toward Amendola. The guy has tremendous upside by every account.

As for drafting a WR, I went and looked at old threads on other boards about WRs we should draft. Years later, I don't know who half the "can't miss" "beasts" even are. As for this class, I've heard some people say that it's deep in WR talent, and others saying that every one of these "beast" prospects has what could be a fatal flaw, whether poor route running, a history of concussions or dropsies.

I think they bring back Lloyd, bring in a few camp comp JAGs and draft MAYBE 1 WR, if it's someone they really like, and probably not with their first pick.

Is there any possibility that Pittsburgh and NE now work a trade for Sanders? Might that be why they matched? I don't see how he can feel wanted in Pitt after the comments, and he's not a great fit for the run-around-until-Ben airs-it-out system anyway.

You must have your tinfoil hat on the locked and loaded position buddy, if you think the Pats are going to use 2 of their 5 draft picks on WR's, OR make an attempt on Victor Cruz.

For one, I don't claim to know what the Pats are going to do in the draft. For another, you must be totally blind and/or incompetent right now because I clearly stated that I didn't think the Pats would shell out the coin and pick for Cruz.

So according to your view the Pats are going to have to resign Lloyd AND draft 2 more WR's, because obviously WR is the ONLY position on the field that matters.

Yes, but that's not because that position is all that matters. The team needs an upgrade for Branch, a split end, and a flanker. Lloyd, at the very least could provide an upgrade to what Branch did/didn't give us. Either he or the rookie could man the flanker position, and we need another split end. So, if you're keeping track at home, that's three. Jenkins should not be counted on and Jones has done nothing to make anybody feel warm and fuzzy about his ability to come in and make an impact outside the hashes, unless you're one of those people that just really wants to feel that everything is okay at all times because, well, IBBWT.

In your exaulted opinion the rest of the team can fend for itself, as long as we have all pro WR's we are just fine :rolleyes:

Actually, I've made it clear that DE is a top need as well as CB. But hey, it's not like Belichick can draft down/trade Mallett/trade Demps and acquire more picks, right? Drink some cranberry juice, Ken. It's a natural diuretic and it sounds like you need to be cleansed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3