Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How's Bill The Mad (Genius) doing so far??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just to get the terminology down pat in case we ever get to have a beer together:

Gorilla—Shelton, Brown, Wilfork

Dragon—Flowers, McGinest

Lion—Seymour, Guy, A.Butler

Tiger—Clayborn

Midfielder—Gilmore, J.McCourty, Law

(and then of course)

Bear—Ninkovich, (also Wilfork again), pretty much anyone on the ‘13 Red Sox team over 185 lbs.

Twinkie—Edelman, Brady, Amendola
———

Do I have this all right? :cool:

So how do we think we're doing, so far? I've got a few thoughts:

01 ~ I love the fact that Mad Bill has held his fire in Free Agency. There're some exceptions to that, to be sure, and some moves that I would've made...But when it comes to Free Agency, I'd much prefer to see less moves than more. Others'll disagree with my perspective on this, but I believe that building through The Draft is 1000 times more effective, and that history agrees.

02 ~ Mad Bill has already made more mistakes than I can count, this off season. I refer, of course, to the fact that there've been dozens of Free Agents out there, and dozens of our own players to make decisions on, and not once has he called me to seek my wisdom. Inexplicable.
icon_shrug.gif

03 ~ But he's nevertheless managed to plot a wise course. He's had the balls and discipline to steer clear of the madness of Free Agency, and somehow managed to find bargains despite a bloated market. That affords optimal flexibility not only this year, but in the years to come.

04 ~ Left Tackle is in a terrifying spot, because Matthew Tobin cannot play Left Tackle...But while I do not trust LaAdrian Waddle to stay healthy, I do believe that, despite his poor play last year, his fundamental athleticism and, far more so, his WingSpan, is sufficient to develop into an adequate, potentially an exceptional Left Tackle, which is obviously a precious and rare commodity. Coach Scarnecchia just might transform this guy into the year's greatest Free Agent bargain.

05 ~ Amazingly, Offense seems, otherwise, locked and loaded!! :eek: Sure, we could always stand more Depth of Talent anywhere, especially at PowerBack...But we're remarkably deep for March.

06 ~ I do not know if anyone else believes that the Defensive outlook has changed even one tenth as dramatically as I do. There is simply no model, mathematical or otherwise, to extrapolate the potentially enormous and indeed exponential impact of embedding a Trench Gorilla of Danny Shelton's skills into our Defensive Line next to Malcom Brown, and of further strengthening our Front 6 with Adrian Clayborn. The combined effect of these two moves could be amazing.

07 ~ Brown, toiling away in The Trenches without any top caliber help, was a man on an island. But with Shelton next to'm on Double Bear Downs or sharing the Snap Load on Single Bear Downs, the effect they will potentially have on each other's Games is far more than the some of the parts: Shelton's addition doesn't sure up a weakness. It transforms it into a gigantic strength.

08 ~ Ditto, the addition of Clayborn: The sum of his potential impact is greater than the sum of one part in his case: Lion is my term for guys at about 6.4 or 6.5 and about 300 pounds who profile as Defensive Ends in a 3 man front and Defensive Tackles in a 4 man front. Before signing Clayborn, that was a weakness, with only Lawrence Guy and Adam Butler...now we're suddenly deep. The rotational possibilities, allowing guys to play at a higher level because they're not worn out, and enabling guys to sustain themselves against the injuries that excessive wear and tear cause, are immense. They significantly increase our chances both of efficacy and of lasting health. That's precisely the formula that the 2013 SeaHawks used for their Front 7: historic greatness.

09 ~ The ripple effect on the rest of the Defense is Part III of the sum of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts: A deeper, more talented interior defensive line, combined with a deeper, more talented Line/Edge crew ~ Clayborn is instantly the best of them, of course ~ enables the Dragons and Bandits ~ the Trey Flowers and Kyle Van Noy types, respectively ~ to cut loose more: reduce responsibilities that compensate for a shaky line, and attack...And this in turn, combined with enormous improvement in front of them, drastically increases the pressure on the opponent's Offense...to the enormous advantage of our MidFielders and above all of our Secondary.

10 ~ Getting McCourty to replace Butler is about a Push, and I'd always like to get more MidFielders, of course...But as far as the scheme that Mad Bill plays ~ and this amazes me even before I write it, though it really shouldn't, after years of watching Mad Bill operate ~ we're already set. :eek:

I'm always in pursuit of more Depth of Talent everywhere, but my list of Draft needs?

01 ~ Left Tackle.

That is all. :eek:
Totally agree on defense. The nuts and bolts of a defense is the key.
2nd and 10 makes a secondary and lass rush better. 2nd and 3 destroys it.

So how do we think we're doing, so far? I've got a few thoughts:

02 ~ Mad Bill has already made more mistakes than I can count, this off season. I refer, of course, to the fact that there've been dozens of Free Agents out there, and dozens of our own players to make decisions on, and not once has he called me to seek my wisdom. Inexplicable.
icon_shrug.gif

:eek:
I'll see what I can do about this.

It sounds like Antonio Garcia was the contingency plan for Solder last year. I don't know where he is physically after this blood clot issue, but I believe he had most of the preseason so maybe he isn't a true rookie despite not playing a regular season game.

I didn't study him in the preseason, so really no clue what is known of him other than the injury...
I'm not sure if he even had that much of the pre-season, either.

The best way to contemplate Boney Tony's status is to not contemplate it at all. Treat the current situation on the OL, and at LT in particular, as if he doesn't exist.

When you say, Ray Lewis killed a guy, were you thinking of a certain safety who can’t tackle a dead fish?
Which one? There is more than one Safety who qualifies.

I'm not sure if he even had that much of the pre-season, either.

The best way to contemplate Boney Tony's status is to not contemplate it at all. Treat the current situation on the OL, and at LT in particular, as if he doesn't exist.

IIRC, Garcia never practiced. His lung clot issue was discovered during his Camp physical, I think.

It is not a great offseason because losing your starting OT is always a bit concerning. The problem is that the mistake was not made this year because paying him what the Giants offered was just silly. Reiss said it right in today's column when he was wondering if the Pats should not have extended him 2 years ago for longer giving up a bit more money but solidifying the LT position for a long time. He looked at how the Colts got Costanzo done for 4 years at what now is a bargain.

That being said it always requires two to dance so this might have been just a brilliant move by Solder's agent who looked at the rising cap and at which tackles would be available 2018 and designed an amazing situation for himself and Solder.

Apart from that I think the trade for Shelton is a vintage BB genius move. Similarly getting JMac (for peanuts) and signing Clayborn -- who projects to fit in nicely -- are classic Patriots offseason moves.

I am curious if Corderelle's role will extend beyond ST. I would not bet on it but McD usually is pretty creative so who knows.

All in all it really is a good offseason so far. Taking care of Brady and resolving the Gronk situation could move it into great territory despite the loss of Solder.
A 2 year 20 mill deal is very uncharacteristic for the patriots, (not to mention agreeing not to use the tag) so I think you are correct that it was the agents doing.
I don’t remember the timing of that deal and the testicular cancer so I don’t know if that was a factor as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes