PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something that worries me about Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallworth has the talent and all of the makings of a true #1 star receiver BUT ..If he is so good and was so valuable to his previous teams why did they let him go?

Was it because he was injury prone?
Was it a chemical problem they did not want to deal with?
Was he a problem child in the locker room?
Was he just too overpaid and the previous teams decided it was not in their best financial matters to keep him because he was not worth the big bucks even though they would have been somewhat O.K. cap wise to keep him?

My biggest concern is the fact that his previous teams have coaches who are truly 2 of the best in the game - Sean Payton who has been a big factor in making every QB and his WR core look good in the past 7 years (something like coaching 4 3,000+ yard passers in a row (including Bledsoe) when he was OC/Passing coordinator) - He is to be respected with anything offensive related

And of course Andy Reid who is no doubt in the top 5 of the best HCs in the game and a great offensive mind himself.

Why did Andy and Sean let him go without making a big push to keep him? - I hope we find out its different this time around....2 Good coaches usually keep a player they think will be a important piece of the puzzle to win a championship..With Donte,They said "I'll pass,you can sign him".

I can't speak why the Saints let him go, but Stallworth had an option year on his contract that he chose NOT to enact. That is hardly the Eagles letting him go. Also, you have to remember the Salary cap. They could have felt that with the WR talent they have, he was too rich for their blood.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll just repeat - the Eagles didn't need Stallworth with Reggie Brown's breakout year. They have their deep threat. If they didn't I have no doubt they would have done everything they could to keep Stallworth around.

I do think that Brown benefited from having Stallworth on the team, with defenders focusing on Stallworth benefiting his YPC - and I hope the same thing will happen here for Caldwell, Welker, or Gaffney - but they simply didn't need to keep him

As far as the Saints, I'm not sure why they traded him either but Devery Henderson was already showing good signs of filling that role in 2005 and definately stepped it up in 2006 - so again, yet another team that found its deep threat with another player.

Last edited:
They are probably gun shy after T.O.

Agreed. Moreover, the Eagles have been hasty to cut any WR who gets into minor trouble (Jabar Gaffney: minor gun charge). Gaffney would have helped Philly after Stallworth went down.

I'm encouraged by this signing. When Stallworth finally had a good QB throwing him the ball, he was having a great season. Then the injury happened. But Donte has played full seasons in the past and had Aaron Brooks for a QB. If he's healthy, he could be something special with Brady.

Last edited:
The Saints didn't "let him go" - they traded him for a pressing need (LB).

The Eagles didn't exactly "let him go" - re-signing him would have triggered a higher draft pick compensation as part of the Saints trade.

they didnt resign him because

1) his asking price maybe
2) injury concerns
3) Eagles dont resign or throw cash around(similar to us)

It's not like the guy has bounced around the league. He has played for 2 teams, and he was traded from 1 for a need position, and the other declined a large investment.

IIRC - Andy Reid wanted Donte back very much, so much so that he took time from his leave of absence to call him directly.

Donte was a great locker room influence last year in Philly, all his teammates wanted him back as he finally matured after he left New Orleans.

I think he simply wanted to play with Brady and got the kind of one year deal from NE that, with a good year, will lead him to that big payday he seeks.

The table is set for him and I think he plans to cash in - this will be an awesome year for Donte Stallworth. I don't know if we keep him for year two - but year one should be great.

Philly wanted to retain him, but couldn't get a deal done. It's not like they cut him or anything.

I've heard some stories about Philly waiting until he became a FA to try to re-sign him because that would lower the compensation they had to give the Saints. The plan backfired and now he's a Patriot, but that doesn't mean they let him go without trying to keep him.

The whole Stallworth situation is something the Pats can't lose on. They've got enough WR depth to sustain an injury as it is, also they're not locked into a nasty contract either.
If Stallworth plays well then the Pats pay him, and if he's playing well, then theres no reason not to pay him.

A+ job on the Stallworth signing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes