PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Stats that will make you go...hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 45 and hated the guy. I think he was selfish ala Forehead.

That's the difference between guys like them and TB12

ditto

Brady driving his teammates to be better, urging them, getting in their face just looks vastly different than when Marino just called them out for failing to meet his standard, or Pay-ton calling them out in the post game presser

Marino was a first class ****head from my seats in front of the Sony Trinitron

i like to THINK it was a diamond in the rough.....but i also think Brady fit what they were trying to do far better......as much as i want to THINK the genius of BB saw the GOAT available in the 6th round, i think they saw a guy with off he chart intangibles and work ethic and "it"......and that BB had as much to do with molding him into the GOAT as anything else.....we saw flashes of greatness those first 3 seasons, but there were plenty of game were won on other facets of the game and not on the play of TB12

TB was the prototype player for what BB wanted to build (and I think the team we are seeing right now is the apex of that plan).....smart, versatile, no sizzle all steak football players with exemplary smarts and leadership qualities, guys who put team first, who put their time in to prepare - TB is the poster boy for the BB player - was he better than Bledsoe, or simply a better BB type of guy?

Do you think any QB drafted by BB during that draft other than Brady would have replaced Bledsoe?

I think that if it would have been any of the QB's drafted before Brady (The Brady 6) Bledsoe would have never been replaced. You could make a possible case for Pettington but would have had to draft him in the first round.

Good stuff by the way.

Do you think any QB drafted by BB during that draft other than Brady would have replaced Bledsoe?

I think that if it would have been any of the QB's drafted before Brady (The Brady 6) Bledsoe would have never been replaced. You could make a possible case for Pettington but would have had to draft him in the first round.

Good stuff by the way.

there's a reason why they didn't draft anyone else at QB (including other needs).....i'm not sure BB saw TB12 as a Drew replacement or just as a really interesting pick at that point - the kid just had "it" if you really looked into his Michigan career - i think they knew they had a kid who at the very least was going to be a solid young backup (BB has hit on that type of kid over and over.....they always seem to develop these guys that are solid backups, don't they?)

the fanboy in me wants to think BB was thinking years out, knew Drew didn't ultimately fit their scheme and saw Brady as lightning in a bottle, future GOAT ....that really adds to the mythology, doesn't it?

Bledsoe could have been one of the greats, but he was not committed to being the best and as a qb was flawed.
whenever we played a bb coached defense, bb usually exploited the Bledsoe flaw and bb's team usually beat us.

Dude was awesome......still, nobody but drew has thrown it 70 times in a game.....he made the pats legit again

And he makes good wine.....best post football career

The evidence is compelling but not even close to overwhelming.

He was a good, tough QB who threw a ****load of TDs and INTs. His regular season record was .500 and his playoff numbers were bad.

"It's overwhelming"

-Judge Chin

there's a reason why they didn't draft anyone else at QB (including other needs).....i'm not sure BB saw TB12 as a Drew replacement or just as a really interesting pick at that point - the kid just had "it" if you really looked into his Michigan career - i think they knew they had a kid who at the very least was going to be a solid young backup (BB has hit on that type of kid over and over.....they always seem to develop these guys that are solid backups, don't they?)

the fanboy in me wants to think BB was thinking years out, knew Drew didn't ultimately fit their scheme and saw Brady as lightning in a bottle, future GOAT ....that really adds to the mythology, doesn't it?

I don't think a "solid backup" would have gotten Bledsoe benched but because it was Brady he was.

I don't think they win the SB with Bledsoe either or some other QB.

But I do agree that BB was looking for someone different for the future and struck lightning with Brady.

Really good posts Yukon. Had to think about that one.

I first started watching the Patriots when Grogan was a QB, after Grogan were a bunch of bleh QB's and my interest waned. Then Bledsoe became the QB and my passion was reignited. I was devastated when Bledsoe got injured. Bledsoe was exciting to watch, a true gunslinger. Every pass was an adventure and there were alot of them. It seemed there was no window too tight or no pass too dangerous to throw. A spectacular throw could be followed by a stupid int. It was exhilarating, frustrating and so much fun to watch.

"• Yards. His 44,611 yards exceeds Dan Fouts, Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas.
Touchdown passes. His 251 TD throws beats out Jim Kelly, Steve Young and Terry Bradshaw.
Passing yards per game. His average of 230.0 is 10 higher than John Elway’s.
I like Drew, but anytime you have to compare a QB to other QB's who played years/decades before, you've weakened your own point. The NFL has had a steady upward progression in passing over the past 50 years, continuing to this very day. Comparing stats between Drew and previous generations is apples to oranges. You could create a very similar comparison to old time greats using Vinny Testaverde. Or Eli Manning. Or Philip Rivers.

The evidence is compelling but not even close to overwhelming.

He was a good, tough QB who threw a ****load of TDs and INTs. His regular season record was .500 and his playoff numbers were bad.

Brady's completion %age and (lack of) INT %age blows Bledsoe out of the water, too.

Drew was awesome. One has to wonder how his career could have been even better if Parcels didn't leave or if he didn't get hurt and got more time with BB. Of course I love how things wound up so oh well.

Bledsoe was a man in the wrong era. His brain didn't process modern defenses quickly enough and he was satisfied with his plateau.

Now, imagine Bledsoe on the 60s or 70s Al Davis "bombs away!" Raiders and no free-agency so they could assemble a line that would protect him well enough. 1st ballot HoFer.

interesting question there

if you were building the prototypical QB, there's very little to argue with Dan Marino - the guy was simply gifted

It is amazing. He was putting up mid-to-late 2000s numbers back in the 1980s.

I really appreciate what Drew did for the organization. He was tough and helped bring relevance to our team. However, I find it interesting that Bill traded him within our division. Bill wasn't one bit afraid of facing him twice a year.

I'm 45 and hated the guy. I think he was selfish ala Forehead.

That's the difference between guys like them and TB12

Bingo! We've got bingo! Brady wins again baby!

The person who saw what Brady would become, and pushed for the Pats to draft him, was **** Rehbein.

Memory of Brady's first QB coach lives on

judge him on his performances, on his play......wins are a team stat

Tom Brady has zero lifetime wins
That is 100% wrong.
The 'performance' that matters is the plays made that determine wins and losses. QBs are the central piece of NFL teams now, and the primary reason they win or lose.
80% of QB play can be done similarly by any competent QB. What separates a Brady who is the greatest winner in NFL history, from a Bledsoe, who was thoroughly average are the games, drives, and plays that separate a champion from a guy with similar stats.

i don't disagree with anything here

i just hate the "dan marino has no rings" argument - they lost many times despite Marino, and that wins credited to QB's thing is a pet peeve
They lost many times BECAUSE of him.
Here is an exercise you can do. Look at the last game, including playoffs of each season of Marino's career and add up the stats. (Last game because it is either playoffs or the game that they could have made the playoffs and didn't)
You will learn that Marino's play in big games is what held that team back.

Brady's completion %age and (lack of) INT %age blows Bledsoe out of the water, too.
No question.

I'm going got get on him too much on yards, stats, etc. The game was a little different back then and it seemed only the elite QBs had comp % above 60%

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back