PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Stats that will make you go...hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 45 and hated the guy. I think he was selfish ala Forehead..

That's the difference between guys like them and TB12
Unlike some of your other comments I have to disagree here. There are too many examples for Drew taking big shots to get the ball off and playing hurt to call him selfish.

The fact is that Drew couldn't do what BB wanted as well as Brady its as simple as that. It was a matter of styles and objectives. Brady's GREATEST gift is his ability to process what he sees faster than any other QB in the league. To his credit, the rest of his abilities Brady simply created. When he came into the league, Brady's arm was what you would call....limited. Over the course of his career, whether it was from changing his mechanics, or something else, he managed to do what many thought couldn't be done and became that strong armed QB.

Often times a player and a system matches up, and great things happen, and, of course the opposite is true. Brady was very lucky to be drafted into a system where his skill set matched the system. Bledsoe on the other hand rarely had the luxury of having the same OC for 3 years in a row, let alone the same system for 17 years.'

Think about it. What if Joe Montana had been drafted by a team that wanted him to be the next Dan Marino. Jimmy G caught a great break by being drafted by the Pats rather than some other team. Despite his obvious talents, imagine what his career would have been like if he'd been drafted by some team that needed him to start right away. Coming from a division 1AA, or whatever they call it now, and no playbook, it might have been disastrous. Brady himself has stated he was in not ready to play in 2000 coming out college.

The same can be said for a lot of players.....and I have gone way off topic here.

The point of my thread was to point out that Drew Bledsoe was a very good NFL QB who won a lot of games and threw a lot of TD and that is how he should be remembered, It wasn't to compare him with Brady, or anyone else for that matter. His career stands alone and it was a very good one....period. And THAT is how he should be remembered, not that he was a QB who wasn't as good as the GOAT. That would be simply unfair by definition

Bingo! We've got bingo! Brady wins again baby!

A great QB can't be selfish in thinking they need to make all the plays all the time. Thats how they get in trouble.

Unlike some of your other comments I have to disagree here. There are too many examples for Drew taking big shots to get the ball off and playing hurt to call him selfish.

The fact is that Drew couldn't do what BB wanted as well as Brady its as simple as that. It was a matter of styles and objectives. Brady's GREATEST gift is his ability to process what he sees faster than any other QB in the league. To his credit, the rest of his abilities Brady simply created. When he came into the league, Brady's arm was what you would call....limited. Over the course of his career, whether it was from changing his mechanics, or something else, he managed to do what many thought couldn't be done and became that strong armed QB.

Often times a player and a system matches up, and great things happen, and, of course the opposite is true. Brady was very lucky to be drafted into a system where his skill set matched the system. Bledsoe on the other hand rarely had the luxury of having the same OC for 3 years in a row, let alone the same system for 17 years.'

Think about it. What if Joe Montana had been drafted by a team that wanted him to be the next Dan Marino. Jimmy G caught a great break by being drafted by the Pats rather than some other team. Despite his obvious talents, imagine what his career would have been like if he'd been drafted by some team that needed him to start right away. Coming from a division 1AA, or whatever they call it now, and no playbook, it might have been disastrous. Brady himself has stated he was in not ready to play in 2000 coming out college.

The same can be said for a lot of players.....and I have gone way off topic here.

The point of my thread was to point out that Drew Bledsoe was a very good NFL QB who won a lot of games and threw a lot of TD and that is how he should be remembered, It wasn't to compare him with Brady, or anyone else for that matter. His career stands alone and it was a very good one....period. And THAT is how he should be remembered, not that he was a QB who wasn't as good as the GOAT. That would be simply unfair by definition

I think you might be confused with who I was referring to in the post. I hated Dan Marino- not Drew. For me, Drew was like that guy you meet your freshman year in college and were really good friends but by senior year you are still kinda friends but he annoys you with dumb things he does and you kinda outgrew him.

I think we can agree Drew was a very good, but flawed QB.

I liked Drew very much, especially his deep bombs and toughness. But he could be wild. I used to say that he's the kind of QB that keeps both teams in the game.

Was Vinny Testaverde a very good QB? Dave Krieg? Kerry Collins?
What they all had in common was many years of mediocre play.
Yes they all had strengths and they all had weaknesses, and they all ended up pretty much average QBs. (BTW when I say average, that throws out the 6-8 teams in any era that have a revolving door at QB with no stability so that puts them somewhere are 10-15th best in the league)
I don't think anyone would argue that in his typical season Bledsoe was anything other than 10th-15th best.
Bledsoe's strengths were toughness, a great arm on intermediate throws, durability, above average decision making when things went as planned. His weaknesses were poor accuracy on short and deep throws, poor decision making when things did not go as planned, a terrible lack of any mobility at all.
That led him to put up some big numbers, and make some crucial mistakes, and end up a .500 QB with little post-season success, who accumulated numbers that weren't all that good on per attempt basis. He had a below average comp % a below average ypa, and a TD/Int ratio of 251/206. None of those are good.

Its fine to have fond memories of him, but lets be honest about who he was. Brady is far better in any system not just BBs.

Shocked that some of us Gen-Xers havent posted this.

hmmm-alright.gif

I think we all had a favorite QB (Pre-TB12) and his name was Drew Bledsoe. A class act through and through and obviously extremely talented. Some of those stats really illustrate that; it's amazing how underrated DB was/is (even to us) when compared to some of the greats his #'s exceed. Nice post PFK

No, his name was Grogan

Bledsoe could have been one of the greats, but he was not committed to being the best and as a qb was flawed.
whenever we played a bb coached defense, bb usually exploited the Bledsoe flaw and bb's team usually beat us.
It was a contrast of never-ending frustration to me to observe Drew and Bird in the off-seasons. Bird worked like a dog to improve what he identified as weak spots in his game. Drew went fishing.

I'm 45 and hated the guy. I think he was selfish ala Forehead.

That's the difference between guys like them and TB12

My wife was the first to sour on The Statue. His penchant for picks and forcing the ball deep or into coverage was frustrating to watch as we pissed away potential short 3rd down conversions.
Revisionist Happy Faces here forget that Drew's style was anathema to BB. Drew was un-coachable in that he was not an assiduous student and every game plan for him was the same. We've seen how BB's style is to take what the defense offers and keep drives going. I'm sure BB was jacked & pumped to trade him away. I finally listened to my wife and soured on Drew in the later 90s.
I remember as yesterday attending Smithfield summer camp in 2001 Brady's 2nd year. It was SO apparent that this Brady kid (I don't follow college ball) totally ran the offense better than The Statue.
I like Drew today far better than I liked him his last 3 years here. He's a great guy. a family man, successful in his wine business and retired healthy. Nothing but the best wishes for the guy.

Drew could have been a sure HoFer if he had put in half the studying that TB does but he was satisfied to ride the talent that he came out of college with and chose not to strive for the next level. He was satisfied to be pretty good. Which he was, but he could have been so much better.

Good stuff, PFK.

I loved Drew and was beyond happy when we drafted him. Of course, after having to suffer through that Eason/Wilson/Hodson/Millen fiasco, who wouldn't be elated. ;)

That's big thing, people don't realize how average we were. I loved those teams with Fryar, Tippett, Tatupu and our slew of QBs, but we really never could compete until we got Drew. Brady and BB made us the greatest ever, but Drew/Parcells gave us hope

That's big thing, people don't realize how average we were. I loved those teams with Fryar, Tippett, Tatupu and our slew of QBs, but we really never could compete until we got Drew. Brady and BB made us the greatest ever, but Drew/Parcells gave us hope

Not really accurate.

8-8 in 83 missed playoffs
9-7 in 84 missed playoffs
11-5 in 85 lost SB
11-5 in 86 lost in divisionals
8-7 in 87 missed playoffs
9-7 in 88 missed playoffs

56 wins

10-6 in 94 lost in WC
6-10 in 95 missed playoffs
11-5 in 96 lost SB
10-6 in 97 lost in divisionals
9-7 in 98 lost WC
8-8 in 99 missed playoffs

54 wins

Was Vinny Testaverde a very good QB? Dave Krieg? Kerry Collins?
What they all had in common was many years of mediocre play.
Yes they all had strengths and they all had weaknesses, and they all ended up pretty much average QBs. (BTW when I say average, that throws out the 6-8 teams in any era that have a revolving door at QB with no stability so that puts them somewhere are 10-15th best in the league)
I don't think anyone would argue that in his typical season Bledsoe was anything other than 10th-15th best.
Bledsoe's strengths were toughness, a great arm on intermediate throws, durability, above average decision making when things went as planned. His weaknesses were poor accuracy on short and deep throws, poor decision making when things did not go as planned, a terrible lack of any mobility at all.
That led him to put up some big numbers, and make some crucial mistakes, and end up a .500 QB with little post-season success, who accumulated numbers that weren't all that good on per attempt basis. He had a below average comp % a below average ypa, and a TD/Int ratio of 251/206. None of those are good.

Its fine to have fond memories of him, but lets be honest about who he was. Brady is far better in any system not just BBs.
Your selective use of statistics to make your point is basically unfair. While he was QB with the Pats Bledsoe threw 191 TD passes vs. 136 picks, and for the offenses of THAT era, that was a very good TD/pick ratio. And if you take his stats after his first 3 years in the and entering his so called "prime years" it gets better at 147-78.

But I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. You are entitled to your opinion. YOU say that Bledsoe was never anything more than a 10-15 best QB in the league, when most anyone else of that era would disagree with you and there were several years when he WAS a top 5 QB. In 1996 he was 3rd in passing yardage and 3rd in TD's. In 1997 he was 4th in passing yardage and 3rd in TD. In 1998 he was 6th in passing yardage and 7th in TD's. See I can use stats too.

He did all this while changing offensive systems around every 3 years, and and on teams that had talented starters, but never had any depth, and suffered when injuries occurred. But again you can think what you want. But I've said my piece and you stated yours. Let's get on to the next topic.

I remember as yesterday attending Smithfield summer camp in 2001 Brady's 2nd year. It was SO apparent that this Brady kid (I don't follow college ball) totally ran the offense better than The Statue.
There was a story, it might have been in Holley's book Patriot Reign of a free agent who joined the Pats in 2001 and went into the weight room and Brady was explaining to the defensive players how he recognized coverages by how they lined up and the free agent asked who that guy was. When told it was the backup quarterback his attitude was "wow" if this the backup, this is whole different mentality...

There was a story, it might have been in Holley's book Patriot Reign of a free agent who joined the Pats in 2001 and went into the weight room and Brady was explaining to the defensive players how he recognized coverages by how they lined up and the free agent asked who that guy was. When told it was the backup quarterback his attitude was "wow" if this the backup, this is whole different mentality...

This might be an urban myth but there was also a story I heard in 2000 (TB12 rookie year). As part of their meetings throughout the year, Weis, Rehbein and BB would spend time with the QBs breaking down practice & game film and grading them on what they saw and what they should have done with the calls, line, routes, what the D was, what did the defensive player do, etc.

By the end of the season, Brady was consistently outscoring the other Qbs on the roster by wide margins including Drew.

Last edited:
2001 - without Ty Law, he doesn't win the SB
2001 - without Troy Brown and Drew Bledsoe, he doesn't win the AFCC
2003 - without willie mcginest, he doesn't win the divisional
2004 - who was the SB MVP?
2014 - who saved the day?

the argument is circular.......Brady's is in the convo as GOAT, but he had a ton of help

2001 - without Ty Law, he doesn't win the SB
2001 - without Troy Brown and Drew Bledsoe, he doesn't win the AFCC
2003 - without willie mcginest, he doesn't win the divisional
2004 - who was the SB MVP?
2014 - who saved the day?

the argument is circular.......Brady's is in the convo as GOAT, but he had a ton of help

I agree the argument is circular and we can say the same about every QB who has ever won a superbowl. Manning benefited twice by his defense.

Football is a team sport and no one player can single handedly win a game. We wouldn't have won our superbowls if Brady didn't get the team in FG range or score 4 TDs to put Pats in a position to win in 2014 despite his 2 picks. Butler saved the day but Brady did his part to put us give us the lead towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes