PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Stats that will make you go...hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the good stuff that happened during those times often lead to more bad stuff. Phantom blow to the helmet, getting humiliated in SBXX, the drug scandal, Fryar's knife-wielding wife.

Fryar did all kinds of crap. His chick on the side called home and his 8mo preggo wife answered and she went nuts. Then in another game, he gets hurt leaves the stadium gets drunk and high in his Porche, drives around and get cracks it up. Then Hart Lee Dykes and Fryar start mouthing off and he gets his eye crushed by a dude with crutches and then Fryar goes to his car to get his gun and has a standoff with RI PD.

The dude was a psycho train wreck.

Fryar did all kinds of crap. His chick on the side called home and his 8mo preggo wife answered and she went nuts. Then in another game, he gets hurt leaves the stadium gets drunk and high in his Porche, drives around and get cracks it up. Then Hart Lee Dykes and Fryar start mouthing off and he gets his eye crushed by a dude with crutches and then Fryar goes to his car to get his gun and has a standoff with RI PD.

The dude was a psycho train wreck.

He was 10 year old fnordcircle's favorite player too. :( :(

I was never a Drew Bledsoe pimper. And I would NEVER contend that he is better than Brady. No one would. But in the 15 odd years since Drew left NE, I think, as a fan base, we have forgotten just how good Drew Bledsoe WAS, especially when you think back and remember most of his yards were gained in the PRE-flag football era. BTW- I include myself in this category. So when I saw these stats in a MMQB column that was referenced in another thread, I thought it might be time to let some of the younger Pats fans (like myself ;) ), just how LUCKY we have been at the QB position since 1994.

"• Yards. His 44,611 yards exceeds Dan Fouts, Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas.
Touchdown passes. His 251 TD throws beats out Jim Kelly, Steve Young and Terry Bradshaw.
Passing yards per game. His average of 230.0 is 10 higher than John Elway’s.

And the comparison with Tom Brady is compelling:

• Each man has averaged 34.6 pass attempts per game.
Bledsoe played 124 games for New England, and set the franchise record for passing yards with 29,657. And it was in Brady’s 124th game for the Patriots that he broke Bledsoe’s yardage record."

I was these comparisons with Fouts, Young and even Brady that caught me by surprise

For all his passing accomplishments, the ONE thing that I will always remember Bledsoe for was his TOUGHNESS. In his most productive years, he wasn't playing in any quick release offenses. He was a the prototypical 7 step drop QB, who stood in the pocket and slung it. And in the process of doing that absorbed some huge hits behind some pretty suspect OL's, and never flinched, or complained.

I'm a New Englander so THAT is what endeared me to Drew....and Steve Grogan before him... and Tom Brady after him. That and their respective insatiable drive to win, and the effort they showed in the attempt....EVERY TIME. That is the FIRST requisite we demand of our pro athletes here, and Drew had it..in spades.

Just sayin'

Patriot fans are spoiled. They think it is easy to find a starting QB. After all their last four starting QBs going back more than half a century, were Brady, Bledsoe, Grogan, Eason, and Plunkett. All were Superbowl QBs. Brady, Bledsoe, and Plunkett were good enough to appear in multiple Superbowls. Two even won multiple Superbowl crowns.

That is NOT TYPICAL at all. More possible might be the 26 consecutive losing QBs of the Browns, or the single good Jets QB, in their entire history. Most teams are in between, with years of fruitless searching for good starting QB.

That is why they think it is easy to trade what appears to be a young franchise QB, for a handfull of Jack's "magic beans".

But I recall the horrible but thankfully short years after Parilli until Plunkett, or the painful but short interim years after Grogan, and before Bledsoe.

i don't disagree with anything here

i just hate the "dan marino has no rings" argument - they lost many times despite Marino, and that wins credited to QB's thing is a pet peeve

to be honest, though, i can't stand the guys as a player.....maybe being MS/HS age during his heyday, it was just Patriot homer hate, but as much as i appreciate his skill (and he is possibly the most gifted passer of the modern era....i just never could stomach the guy, even in the stupid isotoner commercials and that jim carey flick
I loathed Marino. I think I've posted this before but one of my all time favorite non-Pats games was Marino's last game when he was so bad he got benched.

tony "happy feet" eason drove me crazy as a teen

People complain about Bledsoe's worth ethic.....

They ain't seen nuthin till they watched Tony Eason in action.

The Human Turtle.

Even Hog Hannah made fun of him.

He's tall...
He has a strong arm...
He has a strong arm...
He's tall...

On USENET in the 90s that was the mantra of Bills fans who wanted Rob Johnson to start instead of Flutie who brought them to the playoffs. They did start RJ in the playoffs. One & Done.

Rob "Playstation 1" Johnson?

He's tall...
He has a strong arm...
He has a strong arm...
He's tall...
You might be selling him a little short there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes