PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Stats that will make you go...hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't a Patriots fan at the time so my comments might be totally off-base, but saw him quite a bit over the years. And I always thought a lot of those INTs and poor playoff games were because he forced a lot of things. I don't know if it was a lack of trust in others or too much trust in receivers, but seemed like he would rather risk a throw on 3rd down than the safe play to punt. Maybe some older fans can correct me on that, but that's what it looked like outside of New England. And it felt like on some of those teams, that was the only way they could win if Drew had a big day.

Which is a long way of saying I don't necessarily blame all of those INTs on poor reads or lack of awareness like with many QBs. It wasn't a mistake or a lack of intelligence when he threw that ball up sometimes. It was just felt like desperation, like I'd rather chuck it down the field and take my chances instead of punting it away, and if I throw it far enough and it gets intercepted, it will be just like a pick anyways.

For example, the splits missed out on his rookie season, but for the rest of his career, over 51% of Bledsoe's pass attempts were while trailing in games. For Brady, that's 33% of his attempts. And maybe that made him a bit more desperate, a bit more on edge, a bit more willing to push the envelope.

I liked Drew, I was amazed Brady took his job at the time. But looking back, I can see why BB wouldn't want a gambler/gunslinger like Drew back there.
Drew played for good teams and not so good ones. He's had some brilliant games and some maddening ones. He did try to do too much and forced plays a ton.

With that said I'm glad he was a QB here.

A lot was asked of Drew....sometimes too much.
For me....
He helped stabilized and legitimized the franchise.
He made Pats football must see TV
With Drew at the helm, I believed the Pats could win any game
Gillette is the House that Drew built
He could have been better.....for many reasons... some on him, some on the organization.
Solid guy

completely disagree......QB gets too much credit & too much blame

if there's one thing the Patriots especially should have taught you, football is the ultimate team sport - you can't ride your ace on the mound through a lights out 9-inning performance for the win

can a great QB elevate a team? Sure. Can a mediocre QB manage the game and stay within themselves and let others do the heavy lifting? yup

a GREAT QB is an asset.....but as much as I can't stand Dan Marino, he was one of the most gifted QB's to ever play the game; to judge him on his lack of a ring is silly

So you are arguing the TB should not be judged by wins?

Drew is a class act and is a tough SOB. I hope he's doing well these days.

you saw him at the tail end of his career when the evolution of the game was passing his style of play by; Drew had the misfortune to come into the league when his skillset was tied to an era of the game that was quickly changing
He was 28 in 2000 and was a Probowler the year after he was traded.

Was glad Bledsoe had an opportunity to come in for an injured Brady and help pull out a win against the Steelers in the 2001 AFCCG. He had a part in getting that ring.

I will always think highly of Bledsoe but agreed with BB to start Brady in the SB. He had a different aura or a clutchness that Bledsoe seemed to lack.

28 with the mobility of a 40 year old in a game that had quickly become a speed game

(i honestly had him as 3-4 years older in my head.....must have spent too much time watching him try and move in the pocket lol)

pro bowl? meh....

judge him on his performances, on his play......wins are a team stat

Tom Brady has zero lifetime wins
Good QBs win games.

Bad QBs lose games.

There is more to QB play than stats.

28 with the mobility of a 40 year old in a game that had quickly become a speed game

(i honestly had him as 3-4 years older in my head.....must have spent too much time watching him try and move in the pocket lol)

pro bowl? meh....
Coming out of the womb Drew had as much mobility as a tree stump but he still performed during the latter stages in his career including a year in Dallas.

The point is Drew wasn't a fit for a BB/Weis offense.

you saw him at the tail end of his career when the evolution of the game was passing his style of play by; Drew had the misfortune to come into the league when his skillset was tied to an era of the game that was quickly changing

Joe Flacco says hello.

Do you think Bledsoe was benched because he was past his prime and a Golden era type QB or that Brady was clearly a diamond in the rough and BB knew he had a better QB on the staff?

If it was any other QB backing up Bledsoe I think Bledsoe would have continued to play when healthy. Unfortunately for him it was Brady the future HOF GOAT.

Is Marino better than Brady?

interesting question there

if you were building the prototypical QB, there's very little to argue with Dan Marino - the guy was simply gifted

but Brady is a better football player - i think he's a better teammate and a better leader

to me it's a similar argument to the classic Brady/Manning - Peyton had all the tools, Brady kicked his ass on the intangibles

The teams TB has been on have achieved almost unparalleled success; to pare that all down to "Brady", however, does the game itself and the team a disservice......one cannot discount the fact that a lot of that success was due to the play of TB, but he's one guy of 11 in one phase of the game

to boil down to "marino's stats are better" or "Brady has more wins (sic)" does the complexity and beauty of the game a disservice, imho

Joe Flacco says hello.

Do you think Bledsoe was benched because he was past his prime and a Golden era type QB or that Brady was clearly a diamond in the rough and BB knew he had a better QB on the staff?

If it was any other QB backing up Bledsoe I think Bledsoe would have continued to play when healthy. Unfortunately for him it was Brady the future HOF GOAT.

i like to THINK it was a diamond in the rough.....but i also think Brady fit what they were trying to do far better......as much as i want to THINK the genius of BB saw the GOAT available in the 6th round, i think they saw a guy with off he chart intangibles and work ethic and "it"......and that BB had as much to do with molding him into the GOAT as anything else.....we saw flashes of greatness those first 3 seasons, but there were plenty of game were won on other facets of the game and not on the play of TB12

TB was the prototype player for what BB wanted to build (and I think the team we are seeing right now is the apex of that plan).....smart, versatile, no sizzle all steak football players with exemplary smarts and leadership qualities, guys who put team first, who put their time in to prepare - TB is the poster boy for the BB player - was he better than Bledsoe, or simply a better BB type of guy?

interesting question there

if you were building the prototypical QB, there's very little to argue with Dan Marino - the guy was simply gifted

but Brady is a better football player - i think he's a better teammate and a better leader

to me it's a similar argument to the classic Brady/Manning - Peyton had all the tools, Brady kicked his ass on the intangibles

The teams TB has been on have achieved almost unparalleled success; to pare that all down to "Brady", however, does the game itself and the team a disservice......one cannot discount the fact that a lot of that success was due to the play of TB, but he's one guy of 11 in one phase of the game

to boil down to "marino's stats are better" or "Brady has more wins (sic)" does the complexity and beauty of the game a disservice, imho

Intangibles, leadership, game management and certainly talent make a QB great. Dan was an elite passer. Brady is a better QB

Intangibles, leadership, game management and certainly talent make a QB great. Dan was an elite passer. Brady is a better QB

i don't disagree with anything here

i just hate the "dan marino has no rings" argument - they lost many times despite Marino, and that wins credited to QB's thing is a pet peeve

to be honest, though, i can't stand the guys as a player.....maybe being MS/HS age during his heyday, it was just Patriot homer hate, but as much as i appreciate his skill (and he is possibly the most gifted passer of the modern era....i just never could stomach the guy, even in the stupid isotoner commercials and that jim carey flick

i don't disagree with anything here

i just hate the "dan marino has no rings" argument - they lost many times despite Marino, and that wins credited to QB's thing is a pet peeve

to be honest, though, i can't stand the guys as a player.....maybe being MS/HS age during his heyday, it was just Patriot homer hate, but as much as i appreciate his skill (and he is possibly the most gifted passer of the modern era....i just never could stomach the guy, even in the stupid isotoner commercials and that jim carey flick
I'm 45 and hated Marino. I think he was selfish ala Forehead.

That's the difference between guys like them and TB12

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back