PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some new insight to JG trade by LaCanfora

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Belichick giving an agent the free reign to make deals for him.

I don't think he is giving anyone free reign.

Beyond figuring out the draft picks/players BB is getting in return is the other team knowing what kind of deal they can get done with Jimmy.

I think the conversation goes like this..

Team A: We want Jimmy.
BB: OK its a 1st rounder (or whatever BB wants)
Team A: OK, before we do the deal we need to know what'll take to sign him.
BB: OK go ahead and talk to Yee
Team A: OK

They did this with Deion and I'm assuming they did this with Cassell.

Last edited:

The whole idea makes sense if -- and only if -- teams would be willing to give up more to lock up Jimmy long-term as their franchise quarterback vs. giving him a cheap one-year tryout. I honestly don't have a clue which is more attractive.

Yee has also known Browns coach Hue Jackson since his earliest days in college coaching, like when he first became an offensive coordinator at Cal in 1996 (Yee is a Cal grad).

A little aside on the Browns: when they spent a first-round pick on Johnny Manziel, the remaining QBs selected on days 1 & 2 of the draft were Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr...and Jimmy Garappolo. IOW, they didn't just make a lousy choice, they made the only available lousy choice!

I think maybe Yee has the right to find a team and negotiate a contract but BB has final say on what the compensation would be. I'm sure BB would want alot more in compensation from an AFCE team that he would have to face twice a season than from an NFC team........also the teams at the top of the draft order board probably have an advantage as far as draft picks given than a team in the middle of the draft order. I am assuming the teams near the bottom third of the draft order ( except possibly Houston) are set with the qb's that they currently have.

The Pats are under no obligation to trade JG for anything less that what they see fit. Nor should they. If they are looking to take another team to the cleaners to make a deal then that's the way it's going to be. They can always keep him.

In trade negotiations? I seriously doubt it. Even if it were technically "tampering" as defined by the CBA, it's probably not good business to file a tampering complaint against a team you're trying to negotiate a trade with.

My point isn't about what BB and Yee should do to maximize a trade value. It's that LaCanfora is acting as if this permission has already been granted. And you're assuming that the team wants to actively trade him, and has granted that permission.

Whether permission was granted or not was unknown, so he's either breaking news here, or he has overlooked a pretty basic step in the process. I want to know which one it is.

Because if the team is honest about not wanting to trade Jimmy, then tampering could matter. For example, if BB's plan is to franchise him, that would guarantee him around $25M for a season, and Jimmy G/Yee probably figure they're holding him to trade him like Cassel. They might sign the deal right away so it can't be rescinded later. Or they might play hardball and not sign it to try to exert some leverage on where they get traded to.

But if Yee has been negotiating in the background and finds out a team will give Jimmy G a deal like Brock Osweiler (stupid, but hey, it happens), that changes the nature of that negotiation considerably. If it's $25M guaranteed vs. playing hardball and then potentially watching the starting jobs and free agency money dry up as you wait, compared to knowing you already have a better deal in hand before free agency even starts.

Of course that's tampering. Even if you are planning on trading him, teams can't tamper to destroy leverage in negotiations, and agents can't work with other teams to try to acquire a guy whose team hasn't given them that permission.

So I'd be very curious if LaCanfora has inside info here, or if this was just something he lazily overlooked.

I think maybe Yee has the right to find a team and negotiate a contract but BB has final say on what the compensation would be. I'm sure BB would want alot more in compensation from an AFCE team that he would have to face twice a season than from an NFC team........also the teams at the top of the draft order board probably have an advantage as far as draft picks given than a team in the middle of the draft order. I am assuming the teams near the bottom third of the draft order ( except possibly Houston) are set with the qb's that they currently have.

Yee does not have the "right" to do anything. He can be granted permission by the team to seek a trade. Otherwise, it violates the anti-tampering policy as far as I know. The 2009 version found it's way online, have not seen a later version referenced anywhere so as far as I know, it's the latest and greatest:

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/uploads/2009 NFL Anti-Tampering Policy.pdf

Contact by Player.
If a club is contact ed by a player (or his representative) who is under contract to or whose negotiating rights are held by another club, and such player had not been given permission to deal with other clubs, or such player is not in a permissible negotiating period under the terms of an operative collective bargaining agreement, then the contacted club is prohibited from talking or otherwise dealing with the player or his representative, and the contacted club must immediately report such contact to the owner or operating head of the club which holds the player’s rights.

I know it seems like speeding, the police don't bother doing much about it, and the NFL doesn't seem to care too much about it either. But technically, it is against the rules.

I'm not proposing we launch a $5M investigation or make it into a -gate or clog up 3 years of media coverage over it. But technically, it is a violation.

You can say it happens, you can say nobody cares, but don't say Yee has a "right." That's simply not correct.

Bottom line, there was nothing "new" in what LaCanfora wrote about. BB will field offers, and decide what is best for the team. If the offers are great enough, then he'll trade him. If not, he won't. How simple is that. :rolleyes:

Teams, of course, will start with 2nd round offers, which BB will reject out of hand. Come late April, he offers will get better. Come post draft, we will get the results either way.

If the Pats give Yee permission to talk to other teams about Garoppolo, it isn't tampering. They let Branch and his agent shop for a trade while under contract. Granted, that blew up in their face when Branch found trade partners who were willing to give up a first for him. But the Pats wanted to keep Branch and they wanted to show Branch he was looking for too much money. In this case, they would trade Garoppolo for the right trade offer.

If the Pats give Yee permission, then yes, it isn't tampering. But that's the question here.

Is LaCanfora breaking news that the Pats have indeed granted permission? That's what I want to know.

I'm not concerned about the tampering. I know nobody is going to do anything (see Revis, Goodell). It's missing the point.

LaCanfora is acting as if permission has been granted to Yee. If this is true, this is news, and indicates the team is serious about trading Jimmy G. That's the part that is intriguing to me.

But LaCanfora didn't actually write that. He wrote that it's up to Yee to manufacture a deal. So it hints that this permission has been granted. Or potentially that LaCanfora didn't think it through.

One would be very very interesting news. The other would be lazy journalism. I would like to know which because if it's true, he should have put that in his headline and led with that.

A little aside on the Browns: when they spent a first-round pick on Johnny Manziel, the remaining QBs selected on days 1 & 2 of the draft were Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr...and Jimmy Garappolo. IOW, they didn't just make a lousy choice, they made the only available lousy choice!

Quite ironic, especially if Jimmy indeed lands there for plethora of picks. The ones who pulled the trigger on Johnny should feel pretty ashamed to this day.

Maybe the problem was his nickname: it should spell - Johnny 'college football' Manziel.
College football and NFL are two different sports. At QB position especially. Yet teams are drafting college football stars over future NFL playmakers over and over.

For the moment it looks like the most QB needy teams are taking more sober approach. But one can almost predict some of them will (or will have to) jump on QB against their better judgement come draft day.

Its not only the Browns or NFL scouting its the human irony to be so easily attracted to unknown commodity.. Otherwise it would be difficult to explain how someone spends two 1st plus one 3rd round picks in last five years on QB and comes away with nothing yet would be unwilling to part way with 1 of the 2 1st round picks for a QB that actually showed he can play NFL football, won in Arizona and destroyed Dolphins, not to mention being groomed for 3 years under the best of all times (Bill, Brady and Pats organisation).

And then there's vanity. I don't know how many decision makers that took a shot on 'college football' Johnny are still in the building but its not gonna be easy for them to swallow over-expensive Garoppolo pill that was theirs for the taking. Someone there might wanna take some of the pride back by trying to get Garoppolo as cheap as possible . and come out again - empty handed.

Especially since the Bears seem to have most of the leverage (home state, playoff ready team, and a first hand experience from preseason)

Last edited:
My bad.... I should have said ..Maybe Yee WAS GIVEN the right ......instead of HAS the right.......

To avoid people getting their panties in a bunch.....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back