Solder-Thuney-Andrews-Kline-Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Solder-Thuney-Andrews-Kline-Cannon

OK, kudos to anyone who had this line a few weeks ago (with Karras and Mason). AND, they looked pretty good, with Solder probably having the worst game.

BB probably had this line in mind when he drafted this spring....along with other possible combinations.

I liked the Karras pick at the time but was scoffed at.

Solder continues to play softer than his size. I noticed he's been unsure of his balance on a lot of pass protection plays. Don't know if it's injury related or maybe a concussion like issue.

Thuney looks like a steal at this point.

I've always been enamored of Cannon's size and quick feet. It's his mental breakdowns that leave me unsure of how adequate he'll be at RT.

I just do NOT like Josh Kline. It's a blind bias. Something about how he reminds me of Todd Rucci, who I DESPISED years back.

The key to this line will be Andrews though. He showed he could handle the responsibilities last season but was too light in the seat IMO. This season he's stronger and it shows. He's the QB of the O line and hsows that command in practice and in these preseason games.

Depth concerns me. I see names like "Barker" and "Fleming" and I want to puke. Still have hopes for Shaq and Tre. Karras is the backup center...don't like that either.

Gonna hold out hope that if he can get healthy, once that happens, that Cooper can become starting RG. He was with the first team all spring in that position. That's IF he can stay off IR though.

Kline is plan C, after Mason and Cooper, but in Kline's defense, when he was healthy earlier in the season, by all accounts he played very well, however after he got injured and came back he wasn't the same player and his production suffered along with the rest of that banged up OL

People on the board's perception of Kline is the guy at the end of the season, and not the beginning. And let's be thankful for what we have. There aren't a lot of teams who's plan C would be as good as Josh Kline

Overall the line should be okay. Though the line has its issues the saving grace is they are on the right side and not the left. What has really stuck out to me is the last 2 games the right side has overall done well. Though i think the issue will pop up again at some point for now I am okay if they continue playing this way.

If I were to grade each spot A B C D F with each corresponding letter meaning good starter, okay starter, low level starter/good back up, okay back up, replacement level/JAG here is how i would do it.

• Solder - B+ .... He has come on well the last few games. Though not an elite LT he is solid when on his game and it is the most important OL spot.
  • Thuney - B .... It is a lot to call Thuney a B player already but the only time he has looked bad this year was against Luke Freaking Kuechly.
  • Andrews - B .... The evolution of Andrews has been an under played story this year... He jumped a whole grade in one year and mostly fixed his biggest weakness (strength). While he still can not bowl over a big DT he holds well and appears near flawless in pass protection most of the time.
  • Kline (for now) C+ .... Kline at his best plays a smart solid game and doesn't make mistakes and forces you to make a very good play to beat him. Right now he is playing like that. While he will not win on many rush plays and ideally will be upgraded as the year goes he is not easily exploitable unless you have a pro bowler across from him.
  • Cannon - C .... Though i call Cannon a C right now he is playing like a C+/B- but at other times has played like an F. Right now I will give him the benefit of a doubt and assume much of this improvement is sustainable with Scar as the coach.

The Vollmer situation still needs to be worked out. PUP? IR?

Speaking of which...is there a thread or list that shows PUP and IR players status.....I have lost track of a few such as Vollmer...I believe only one player can be IR with a designated to return designation..........and which players are currently on PUP ? I know some are just injured and do not have a PUP/IR designation.

Can someone provide a link/list for me? THANKS in advance..... :)

Speaking of which...is there a thread or list that shows PUP and IR players status.....I have lost track of a few such as Vollmer...I believe only one player can be IR with a designated to return designation..........and which players are currently on PUP ? I know some are just injured and do not have a PUP/IR designation.

At present a PUP/IR list does not exist.

There is a has not practiced list which DA, Vollmer and Lewis are on.

I was astounded at the number of players available to the PS. Miquel lists it at 50! It just demonstrates how young, and talented, this team really is. Vollmer, Lewis, Tre, and DA are PUPPable. I don't see any benefit from designating them IR, when its not necessary as PUPP, as modified this season, is pretty flexible.

I was astounded at the number of players available to the PS. Miquel lists it at 50! It just demonstrates how young, and talented, this team really is.

That's in part because they changed the rules when they expanded the PS from 8 to 10. Now you can have two players on the PS who are in their first three seasons but would normally have too much experience to qualify. IOW, pretty much everyone in their first, second, or third seasons is eligible.

Just remember we could have Indy's O-line situation right now. They might've just lost their best O-Lineman in Mewhort to a torn ACL. The line was already struggling bad even before the injury.. :eek:

Read the following from Miguel

2016 Patriots Active PUP list

Vollmer, Amendola, Lewis and Jackson are still eligible to be on the full season PUP list.

That's good news if they are eligible for PUP instead of IR............

I'm pretty optimistic about the left side of that line, right side not so much. RT is what it is, but at RG I certainly hope we can improve on Kline as the season goes on. Hopefully as Mason, Jackson and Cooper get healthy someone will be able to win that job.

Thuney and Andrews look to be strong starters for us for years to come.

Solder needs to be more consistent.

RG ?

Cannon: In Scar we trust.

The OL imo can range from mediocre to pretty good. I don't think they will be bad with Thuney/Andrews in the lineup.

IF Scar can fix both Cooper and Cannon then this OL will do a complete 180.

In Kline & Cannonfodder, we are stuck with the Worst RG-RT combination in the entire league, bar - feckin - none. Absolutely pitiful.

In Kline & Cannonfodder, we are stuck with the Worst RG-RT combination in the entire league, bar - feckin - none. Absolutely pitiful.

And as others have already pointed out, Kline is possibly the 3rd choice at RG once everyone is healthy, possibly 4th.

What's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back