PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, what's our game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to win the turnover battle and keep giving Brady and the offense opportunities. We can't let the jets O sit out there ticking down the clock with Brady on the sidelines. Fortunately, Pickchez is somewhat know for throwing a few ints. :D

I agree with this ... however ... if the Jets can get a run game going and shut down Welker and ONE of the tight ends ... we have a chance.

Maybe. But thinking of the Colt's receivers as similar to the Pats receivers is a stretch. The Jets were able to have success rushing 3 or 4 and dropping everyone else because the colt's receivers as a unit aren't talented enough to expose the Jets secondary. The Jets have Revis, and after that they have some parts that are decent at covering certain things, but they are not a complete, feared secondary back there.

This game will come down to the same as most Pats games: If the other team can generate pressure with 4 rushers, especially up the middle, then the jets secondary will have a chance to cover the pats receivers while the rush gets there. If the Jets have to bring more than 4 rushers to get pressure, the Jets can't cover well enough and the Pats win. If Jets stay back and just rush 3 or 4, don't get good pressure, and play coverage, Pats win.

Pass

You beat the Jets by spreading them out and passing them to death. Get the lead and force Sanchez into a shootout that he cannot win with that noodle arm of his.

This game will come down to the same as most Pats games: If the other team can generate pressure with 4 rushers, especially up the middle, then the jets secondary will have a chance to cover the pats receivers while the rush gets there. If the Jets have to bring more than 4 rushers to get pressure, the Jets can't cover well enough and the Pats win. If Jets stay back and just rush 3 or 4, don't get good pressure, and play coverage, Pats win.

agreed. its one of the Jets biggest weaknesses ... pressure with the DL.

Since apparently the Jets were confused with the 2 TE formations used during the MNF game, throw out some never before seen formations and try to confuse the Jets. Logic dictates that the Jets will go over the film from the MNF over and over again. So why not throw something completely new at them. Can anybody get me in contact with BB, I got some more ideas for him...:D

The Jets could handle 1 or 2 receivers (the first game) but lacked the pass coverage talent to deal with 3 or 4 (the second game - attack everyone who isn't a CB on the field). A plan utilizing multiple receivers with a credible running game should be enough, and that has tended to be the theme of the Pats in games post-Moss.

I expect the Jets will do better defensively than they did the last game (fairly obvious as it would be tough to do worse), but lack the offensive firepower to go point for point with the Pats. If the Pats avoid turnovers, I expect they will win (although I would be surprised if this game is a blowout).

according to deion sanders last nite, pats wont employ the "stupid" plan of the colts to put WR's on the outside so revis can shut them down and will move around their players to exploit matchups.

Since apparently the Jets were confused with the 2 TE formations used during the MNF game, throw out some never before seen formations and try to confuse the Jets. Logic dictates that the Jets will go over the film from the MNF over and over again. So why not throw something completely new at them. Can anybody get me in contact with BB, I got some more ideas for him...:D

Don't forget that Hernandez and Gronk can both be split out wide. Though we had a lot of two TE sets, they weren't always in the same formation. That versatility is extremely tough to beat, especially when the QB is smart enough to make changes at the line.

I say that the Jets played a solid game against a good team but there really isn't anything that stood out. Of course Revis was supposed to shut down Wayne and take away one of the sidelines, that's what he does. That left Peyton to throw to a bunch of guys he wasn't entirely comfortable throwing to in a playoff game (also, he's a choke artist and 1-6 in Wildcard games).

Please somebody weave me the tale of all the success Complainian Tomlinson has had in cold weather games. Chances are it's going to be a short story. The same thing applies for Sanchez. His career has been rife with failure in bad and cold weather. His career line in temperatures less than 40 degrees is as follows: 102-175 for 58.28%, 769 yards, and a 3-8 TD-INT ratio. Unfortunately for the Colts, that doesn't play a factor in a dome giving the Jets an opportunity to play well but that isn't the case here. Not only that but did he complete a single pass that wasn't a quick/skinny slant or a checkdown to a RB? The only redeeming throw he made was to Braylon Edwards on that final drive (a drive set up by a bone-headed play Bill doesn't let guys make) and even that was high and was more of a great catch than anything else.

They're success still relies on limiting Sanchez mistakes and establishing the run. That makes you one-dimensional and furthermore makes you a lot easier to scheme against when you have a well rounded team. Like the Patriots do. If they take away the middle of the field with their LBs and occasionally crash the inside of the WRs routes (because they love the slant), blanket Keller, and make Sanchez go into multiple reads they'll dominate the Jets defensively.

Last edited:
Put Cumpler out wide again on Revis....we will dominate them if this happens again

Our game plan is to sit down with friends & family, have a lot of great food and cheer for the Pats to kick the Jets butts.

What's yours?:p

Exactly..... None of us our playing :)

As for the Pats..... Let's leave the planning to BB. We are a better team. The Jets cannot keep pace with our offense. On D, we need to be stout against the run, and make Sanchez beat us with his arm (which he can't do). As for our offense..... do that voodoo that youdoo so well ;)

It's very simple, Patriots need to get the NYJ in 3rd and 6, 7, 8, etc. because they need to make Sanchez throw the ball. Here's a closer look at the last game the two teams played, from a Patriots defensive perspective with an eye on my key (third and longs)....
NYJ first half third downs and results...
3d & 6 - 7 yard pass, short left
3d & 1 - sneak, no gain (converted 2 yd run on 4th)
3d & 7 - incomplete pass short middle
3d & 11 - incomplete pass short right
3d & 3 - incomplete pass short right
3d & 1 - incomplete pass short right
3d & 10 - incomplete pass deep left
3d & 3 - 6 yard pass, short right
Half Ends a minute or so later after a TBC sack

At this point it was 24-3 and I think pretty much their game plan was out the window. So, they had eight third downs in the first half and converted two and also converted a fourth down. So, the Patriots got them out of typical "run yardages" on only half of their third downs. I'm sure the NYJ feel if they just executed better in that game, and possibly had different play calling, they would have been in the game alot longer. I don't think we're going to see passes on 3d & 3, 3d & 1, and 3d & 3 as we saw in the first half last game.

Let's looks at the first half from the Pats offensive perspective...
Pats move ball to NYJ 23 and have first & 10...key plays along the way...
first play of drive 9 yard pass to Welker to bring up 2 & 1 - HUGE PLAY ON FIRST DOWN...20 yard Branch catch and run to NYJ 23...
But, then the drive stalled - three straight incompletions and a made FG...
Now, here's where things got a little different for the Pats and I don't know if we can count on these things again...
37 yard PI on Gronkowksi to give Pats 1st & goal at NYJ 1...
14 yard completion on 3d 7 (NYJ blitz) prior to the PI...
4th & 3 from NYJ 25...TD pass to Branch (NYJ Blitz)

I got this info from the gamebook. If anyone wants to check it out, the link is at the end. I think once you look at the situations, the Pats were fortunate that the NYJ chose to pass so much. I'm sure it'll be a completely different game plan this time around.

The Patriots have the best offense and best quarterback in football. They have a solid running game, an average defense that gets a lot of turnovers, and decent return games. The kickoffs are poor, but the punter has been good. The NYJ have a mediocre at best offense with an average to below average quarterback, a good running game, a good defense, and decent return games.

The Patriots are the #1 seed for a reason. They were playing some dominant football ever since the Cleveland game and they had one close game against GB. Surely the NYJ will try to mimic that type of gameplan, but as someone said in here, the NYJ do not have the personnel to get pressure up the middle with four rushers the way GB did. I can see the NYJ dropping back in that two deep shell and Brady having plenty of time to hit those crossing patterns to Branch, Welker, etc., and short dump offs to tight ends...

is it game time yet??????? GO PATS

http://library.kraftsportsgroup.com/20101206_gamebook.pdf

Put Cumpler out wide again on Revis....we will dominate them if this happens again

And what do you think happens if say Bart Scott goes out on Crumpler with Revis in the slot? Draw to Woodhead?

The Jets' defensive scheming problem is that Ryan's exotic blitzes aren't going to work against Brady + the receivers, given how familiar they all are with each other. Chances are he for the most part, rightly, won't try them.

That said, Hernandez has been out for a while, the young WRs can be shaky, Gronk isn't that many games from when he was shaky himself, and BJGE hasn't been much of a receiving threat to date. So Ryan COULD try to take out Branch and Welker, send the house, and hope for the best. I just think it's pretty unlikely to work, and while he's a buffoon, he is very much not an idiot.

And what do you think happens if say Bart Scott goes out on Crumpler with Revis in the slot? Draw to Woodhead?

this sort of illustrates my biggest concern .. the Pats ...as a team ... are MUCH quicker than the Jets. The Jets need to be able to rough teams up .. and last time the two teams played each other ... the Pats were too quick for the Jets LB corps.

I think the obvious thing to do against the Jets is exactly what we did in 45-3...make Revis totally irrelevant. BB's game plan totally took Revis out of the equation and completely exposed an overrated defense.

Nonetheless, the Jets know the Pats. Anything can happen in the playoffs. I have confidence BB will have these guys ready.

They're success still relies on limiting Sanchez mistakes and establishing the run. That makes you one-dimensional and furthermore makes you a lot easier to scheme against when you have a well rounded team. Like the Patriots do. If they take away the middle of the field with their LBs and occasionally crash the inside of the WRs routes (because they love the slant), blanket Keller, and make Sanchez go into multiple reads they'll dominate the Jets defensively.

:agree: They'll pressure Sanchize all day long. They'll confuse him, make him throw, hopefully sack him a couple of times along the way.

The Pats need to just keep playing the way they have been-create turnovers, no INT, be aggressive, hawk the ball, and no mistakes. Brady's got some weapons, even Revis can't cover everybody.

My money says BB hasn't shown all his cards yet either. I think it's going to be a great game, GO PATS:rocker:

The jets just don'e have enough defenders to handle the Brady Bunch. Revis and Cromartie may be able to handle (limit) Welker and Branch. The jets defensive front may be able to limit our running game,

OK, that's fine.

Gronk, Hernandez and Woodhead should have a field day as receivers (with a couple for Tate).

The bottom line is that our OL plus Crumpler should be able to protect Brady long enough for Brady to shred the jets with short to intermediate pass completions, along with the normal number of screens, dumpoffs and the one or two reverses.

Our defense can handle the jets offense.

Our offense is at least 9 points better than the jets defense.

Last edited:
Re: Jets vs Patriots - Take 2

If the Pats can get out to an early lead I feel safe in saying we're hosting the AFC championship.

Sanchez played poorly last night and was bailed out by some terrific catches. If the game is put on his shoulders, the Jets might end up getting blown out again.

Re: Jets vs Patriots - Take 2

Well, they'll be back....and the hype machine is going to be in overdrive.

What do you guys think strategy wise will be the difference this game? I would think the Jets will tweak their D to bring even more heat.

They have to get to Brady or he will do damage.

Think the jets will stay committed to the run ala Cleveland?

It will be interesting to see what kind of game plan we draw up for these guys next week.

It's gonna be awesome...

We wait for Jabba the Hut to run his mouth and give this team more bulletin board material. Then we demolish them at the Razor. All the Pats need to do is do their jobs. I think the Coaches will have the Pats well prepared with this extra time to get ready.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick