PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so, what do the Patriots pay Revis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 years - $70 million and top Haden's bonus ... go $21 million on the bonus.

I am hoping that 4/58 or 4/60 gets it done. This will make him the highest paid corner without breaking the bank. The haggling will probably be over the guaranteed money and the signing bonus. An extra year might not be bad actually, as it would give us room to backload some of the money.

4 years @ $45 million should do it.

LOL, lowball offers like that is why the Red Sox lost John Lester. There's no way Revis would NOT be insulted by that kind of starting offer.

And to the other poster who suggested paying 20 and threatening to franchise... Hell no! Revis would hate that, would immediately start shopping for his next team. An unhappy Revis is NOT something you want to deal with. Ask the Jets!

I say offer Revis top dollar compared to last year, and get the deal done early. Before someone ELSE signs a huge deal that blows the market wide open. Offer Revis 14.5-15m AAV for 4-5 years which currently beats the top corner salary of 14m, and he'll be cool. Do anything else, and he's gonna shoot his way out of town. And we need this guy back if we want to be contenders next year again.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Can the Patriots re-negotiate a new contract with Revis before March 10th? Or does the Patriots cut him and becomes a free agent, and then negotiate with him.

Assuming Patriots does not pick up the 2nd yr?

I'm hoping some of Brady's team friendly contract cutting attitude will rub off on Revis. He's in a great spot to command a good paycheck and win championships if he sacrifices some of that money. If he's a good investor then he can recoup the money he may have forfeited.

I see no reason for them to cut him. Randy Moss tore up his old contract when we first acquired him from the Raiders. If Revis likes the new deal, him and the Pats can agree to tear up the old one.

Can the Patriots re-negotiate a new contract with Revis before March 10th? Or does the Patriots cut him and becomes a free agent, and then negotiate with him.

Revis has always expected and received top dollar on the market. You can't expect him to be like Tom. But considering that the cap is increasing by about 10m next year, giving Revis a 2.5m raise to keep him would appear to be a good use of our cap money.

Not to mention I believe we are rolling over some extra cap space from this year to next.

Besides, Pats have always been good at being creative with the contracts to max cap space. Get it done front office!!

The patriots can negotiate with Revis before March 10th. If they don't he'll be gone.

The patriots can negotiate with Revis before March 10th. If they don't he'll be gone.

Thanks. I'm sure every Pats fan will not want Revis to be an "official free agent"... Every tom-****-harry team is waiting for that moment to give him big $$$.
:(

Some comments on the comments

1. Here is how I see this lining up. Hayden, Peterson, Sherman and Revis make up the top 4 of NFL CB's.

2. The 3 of them all got paid last year, pretty much setting the current top of the market for CB's, which is, I believe, in the $14MM/yr range

3. Revis is on record saying he doesn't have to be the highest paid CB in the league

4. Revis is also 3 or 4 years older than the 3 guys I mentioned. This is something Revis is smart enough to know will be a factor in this next contract.

5. Any expectation of Revis maintaining the same high level of play we saw this year longer than 2 more seasons should be considered optimistic. So its imperative that the Pats and Revis' camp be on the same page about Revis' end game to his career. For example is he willing to risk a bigger percentage of his income after 2016 on playing time and performance incentives? How willing is he to perhaps transition to S at the end of his career?

Being on the same page on questions like that will go along way to getting Revis the kind of money he wants in those next 2-3 years.

6. Playing in Boston gives him some advantages that should outweigh marginally better offers.

a. Virtually assured of playoff money (BTW- anyone know how much extra money every player made by winning the superbowl? )
b. Will play with a very good secondary and defense the next 3 or 4 years
c. Will play with an improving top 5 offense the next 2-3 years
d. He'll be knows he'll be well coached

7. The negatives are:
a. He'll have to work his ass off and play within a system
b. He won't get the last dollar.

8. If I'm the Pats I expect Revis and his camp to recognize the issue of his age and agree to those clauses that will address the Pats concerns. I also expect him to recognize that a lot of players here take a bit less so the money so it can be spread to the rest of his teammates. And also that the best player on the team takes less a lot less than top dollar.

9. If I am Revis I expect the Pats to pay me within 5% of the highest player in the game on a per year basis and my Guarantee percentages are fairly equal as well. In exchange I will make concessions to my age by making more of my income play time and performance related in the last 2 or 3 years of the contract. And I will give the Pats a small discount in AVV in exchange for a small increase in upfront bonus.

10 So in the end the deal would look something like this: The Headline would be 5 years for 70M with a 15MM signing bonus, and an additional 20MM in other guarantees throughout the contract. Whatever he is due beyond the bonus in those first 2 years would become guaranteed on the 3rd day of the new league year. After 2016 more and more of the contract would become more playtime and performance based. So if he is still playing at a high level, he'll get paid at the highest levels

11. This I think gives both sides what they want. I'm comfortable that the Pats are willing to pay him top dollar, as long as he's playing like the elite player he is right now. When the day comes when he becomes
"merely" a good player (ie top 20 CB) The Pats want his pay to reflect that new reality.

12. What the Pats want is not another Logan Mankins situation, where they have to let go a "good" player because he's making a great players' pay check (cap number). Something like this, I think, would do the trick.

13. I believe this can be set up conservatively so that Revis' cap number can be in the $11MM range for the next 2 years and the Pats would immediately save $14MM off their 2015 cap number and its on to McCourty

Last edited:

1. Here is how I see this lining up. Hayden, Peterson, Sherman and Revis make up the top 4 of NFL CB's.

2. The 3 of them all got paid last year, pretty much setting the current top of the market for CB's

3. Revis is on record saying he doesn't have to be the highest paid CB in the league

4. Revis is also 3 or 4 years older than the 3 guys I mentioned. This is something Revis is smart enough to know will be a factor in this next contract.

5. Any expectation of Revis maintaining the same high level of play we saw this year longer than 2 more seasons should be considered optimistic. So its imperative that the Pats and Revis' camp be on the same page about Revis' end game to his career. For example is he willing to risk a bigger percentage of his income after 2016 on playing time and performance incentives? How willing is he to perhaps transition to S at the end of his career?

Being on the same page on questions like that will go along way to getting Revis the kind of money he wants in those next 2-3 years.

6. Playing in Boston gives him some advantages that should outweigh marginally better offers.

a. Virtually assured of playoff money (BTW- anyone know how much extra money every player made by winning the superbowl? )

7. The negatives are:

8. If I'm the Pats I expect Revis and his camp to recognize the issue of his age and agree to those clauses that will address the Pats concerns. I also expect him to recognize that a lot of players here take a bit less so the money so it can be spread to the rest of his teammates. And also that the best player on the team takes less a lot less than top dollar.

9. If I am Revis I expect the Pats to pay me within 5% of the highest player in the game on a per year basis and my Guarantee percentages are fairly equal as well. In exchange I will make concessions to my age by making more of my income play time and performance related in the last 2 or 3 years of the contract. And I will give the Pats a small discount in AVV in exchange for a small increase in upfront bonus.

10 So in the end the deal would look something like this: The Headline would be 5 years for 70M with a 15MM signing bonus, and an additional 20MM in other guarantees throughout the contract. Whatever he is due beyond the bonus in those first 2 years would become guaranteed on the 3rd day of the new league year. After 2016 more and more of the contract would become more playtime and performance based

11. This I think gives both sides what they want. I'm comfortable that the Pats are willing to pay him top dollar, as long as he's playing like the elite player he is right now. When the day comes when he becomes
"merely" a good player (ie top 20 CB) The Pats want his pay to reflect that performance.

12. What the Pats want is not another Logan Mankins situation, where they have to let go a "good" player because he's making a great players' pay check (cap number). Something like this, I think, would do the trick.

There was an article I read who said "source close to Revis" that Revis would stay with Patriots, IF he is the highest paid CB, by just a bit.

That means "a bit more" than 14.01 million/yr.

I guess we will know when March 10th has passed.

It's also worth mentioning that Revis played in Tampa, which sucked, I'm sure, in comparison to winning a Superbowl with the Patriots, playing under Belichick, and hanging out with guys like Tom Brady, Wilfork, and Gronk on the sidelines. Given the indisputable fact that he's a well known competitor, I can't see him even humoring the idea of wanting to go anywhere that's a dead end.

The guy is rich. He's going to continue to make rich-man money. He may as well do it with the greatest Dynasty in NFL history. I'm optimistic that Revis remains a Patriot on a deal that's fair to him without crippling our salary cap situation. Superbowls are awesome.

Why would Revis want to sign more than a 3-year contract? Perhaps 3/$42M will be enough; perhaps not. I think that adding a 4th and 5th year with lots and lots of protections for the patriots accomplishes nothing for Revis.

I also believe that we'll have a pretty good defense for the next 3-4 years. However, I would note that there are those on this board who would cut the following players unless they take pay cuts: Browner, Arrington, Mayo and Wilfork. I think someone even included Ninkovich. Thankfully, Belichick likely has other ideas.

You mention "playing in Boston" being an advantage. I presume that you meant "playing for the patriots".

2. The 3 of them all got paid last year, pretty much setting the current top of the market for CB's, which is, I believe, in the $14MM/yr range

7. The negatives are:

10 So in the end the deal would look something like this: The Headline would be 5 years for 70M with a 15MM signing bonus, and an additional 20MM in other guarantees throughout the contract. Whatever he is due beyond the bonus in those first 2 years would become guaranteed on the 3rd day of the new league year. After 2016 more and more of the contract would become more playtime and performance based. So if he is still playing at a high level, he'll get paid at the highest levels

"merely" a good player (ie top 20 CB) The Pats want his pay to reflect that new reality.

They can keep him next year for 20m & I believe that year/cost was added to the contract to prevent them from franchising him in 2015.

They could always say they are going to pay him 20 million in 2015 & then franchise him in 2016 as a negotiation point.

That would mean paying Revis $50 million in two years. If Revis plays 2015 with his $25m cap number, it would cost $30 million to franchise tag him in 2016. Revis would be a fool not to immediately sign the franchise tag in 2016.

Why would Revis want to sign more than a 3-year contract? Perhaps 3/$42M will be enough; perhaps not. I think that adding a 4th and 5th year with lots and lots of protections for the patriots accomplishes nothing for Revis.
Actually I added the 4th and 5th years on for Revis' sake figuring he'd want this contract to be his last. If he were happy with a 3 year deal, I'd be thrilled for the Pats because my risk of not getting elite play for the duration of the contract would shrink to about only a year at best. With a 3 year deal I'd be much more willing to bet I'd get elite play for the entire time

I also believe that we'll have a pretty good defense for the next 3-4 years. However, I would note that there are those on this board who would cut the following players unless they take pay cuts: Browner, Arrington, Mayo and Wilfork. I think someone even included Ninkovich. Thankfully, Belichick likely has other ideas.
Oh, I agree, if we bring back Revis and McCourty, this defense is going to get better, especially with Mayo, Easley, Dennard and Buchannon coming back and our still young secondary getting a year better.

The thought of asking Browner and Ninko for cuts is ludicrous. Asking Arrington is a knee jerk reaction to a single bad game against a particularly bad match up for him. Arrington might have had his most productive season as a CB this year, and people want to ask him for a cut. :rolleyes:

Mayo and Wilfolk are another story. I think both will have to take a cut. After his injury history the last 2 years, Mayo's should be relatively easy to get. He's been paid top dollar for a lot of years. Vince's, should he want to come back, might be tougher to get, but IIRC his cap number is going to be $8MM, and THAT is going to be hard to justify.

Whether he comes back or not, DL needs to be our first priority both in the first round and FA

That would mean paying Revis $50 million in two years. If Revis plays 2015 with his $25m cap number, it would cost $30 million to franchise tag him in 2016. Revis would be a fool not to immediately sign the franchise tag in 2016.

Excellent point !
I was thinking it would be the average of the top CB's

You know far more about this than I do & I appreciate the feedback

I have to think it would be a 3 year deal to coincide with bradys. I think it gets done. Some teams may offer him 18mil but does the allure of back to back super bowls make up for the extra couple mil? Judging from revis reaction I think it will

Belichick pays for elite talent and I expect gostowski, revis and mccourty back.

Miguel-

Given your studies on the Pats deals over the years, any thoughts on what a long-term deal with Revis might look like? The first thought I had, given his age and ability, was the Randy Moss deal adjusted for current salaries at the CB position.

I have to think it would be a 3 year deal to coincide with bradys. I think it gets done. Some teams may offer him 18mil but does the allure of back to back super bowls make up for the extra couple mil? Judging from revis reaction I think it will

Belichick pays for elite talent and I expect gostowski, revis and mccourty back.

No team can offer him anything unless the Patriots release him.

I don't know how much they should pay him. What I believe is they have a shot at keeping him long term if they are relatively competitive with the other offers. Revis has said in many interviews, including right after the biggest win of his career, that this is the best secondary and overall team he's been on in his career. That has to mean something, especially considering he's approaching the back nine. Nonetheless, he's in his prime and, as someone already mentioned, NE is aggressive when it's top talent. Revis is the best in the game.

I really don't expect NE to just let that walk out of the door. Heck, they were ready to keep Talib last season and their offer was very reasonable. Denver just structured the contract differently and added a tad more guaranteed. They can opt out and not owe Talib a cent at some point (I think end of the upcoming season). He got injured in the two playoff games with NE and played like trash in one game with DEN. Revis was his normal eraser self while only having one legit interference call in the playoffs and was picked off by the ref in the SB. Again, NE should be able to retain him so long as they're competitive, with the winning culture being the difference maker.

6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34a87de1c803b0aa74343bed9a.jpg

Whatever it takes. Keep the current contract if you have to. Without him that depth chart gets scary thin, Browner's no longer free to do his thing and the entire defensive strategy changes. Can't happen. I'm not expecting a 'home town discount', but I do think he appreciates what winning does for a person, maybe he stays for 2-3 years around $15 mil. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST