PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so, what do the Patriots pay Revis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a somewhat shorter term deal, like 3 or 4 years, is likely. I also think the AAV will be similar to Sherman/Peterson, however, I think his guaranteed portion will be a lot higher, like 80% or more. He may not be able to say "I'm the highest paid corner", but he can say "I have the most guaranteed money", and "I'm gonna go get another ring b****". That will probably work for him.

Then, after 3-4 years he can go to another team who will overpay for his services if he wants to.

I'd love to have him for the same exact deal that Tampa had him. 4 one year 16 million dollar deals.

It will take IMO, 4 year at $16 mil per year all quaranteed($48 mil). That is what I've been hearing. This would save $9 mil on next years cap. I think the Patriots should do it.
Yup, that sounds reasonable to both sides for me...IMHO...our team is here if Revis wants it...

I'd love to have him for the same exact deal that Tampa had him. 4 one year 16 million dollar deals.
That might not be so bad, except he was on a prove it deal, not sure he would go for that again.

I hope they dont go higher than 4-60 mil. They dont need to create a team of have and have nots. Our HOF Qb is a team player so as much as we need Revis it needs to cut both ways to some degree.

I don't see Revis doing a "prove it" deal after this season. His mentor is Ty Law, which could be a good or bad thing depending on whether he adopts the (1) highest paid mentality or (2) Law's hindsight lesson of was it worth going to other teams when you could have done better with the Pats in terms of compensation from a successful organization.

Revis will be 30. BB will not want to lock himself in with a high value contract when Revis is 34 (Champ Bailey was done at that age, and I do not believe he had Revis's injury history and its potential effect on longevity).

I would expect a deal that parallels what Moss received from the Pats (3 yrs $27 million with $15 million guaranteed: Moss was 31 at the time and became the 7th highest paid receiver in the NFL, with a figure about 90% of the highest paid and 55% guaranteed - the top CBs are averaging about $14 million), factoring in the present value of elite cornerbacks. I expect if Revis follows Law's approach, rather than Law's lesson from the approach, he will not stay with the Pats because someone will break the bank for him and the Pats will not do that. I am hoping not.

I say Pick up his Option and go for another SB run we are Favorites to win he AFC already!:cool:

IF we pick up his $20 million option, who will you cut or trade to pay for it?

I say pay him what ever he wants. Keep this team intact, in the exact form as it is and lets go for another and another. I want Brady to retire with 6. The Brady 6 won't refer to the 6 people drafted ahead of Brady but rather the 6 SuperBowl trophies for the greatest QB of all time.

Pat Kirwin name-dropped an interesting tidbit on yesterday's show. Said that he had done cap analysis stuff for Belichick one spring. Said that NOBODY knows the up-to-date market price for NFL players better than Belichick. Said that the got a DAILY market price analysis with EVERY transaction.

I honestly don't think the negotiation with Revis will be that difficult. The market price for top CBs has been pretty clearly established at $14 to $15 million per year. The negotiation will center around length, guarantees, protections, etc.

PAY HIM IN RING

I don't see Revis doing a "prove it" deal after this season. His mentor is Ty Law, which could be a good or bad thing depending on whether he adopts the (1) highest paid mentality or (2) Law's hindsight lesson of was it worth going to other teams when you could have done better with the Pats in terms of compensation from a successful organization.

Revis will be 30. BB will not want to lock himself in with a high value contract when Revis is 34 (Champ Bailey was done at that age, and I do not believe he had Revis's injury history and its potential effect on longevity).

I would expect a deal that parallels what Moss received from the Pats (3 yrs $27 million with $15 million guaranteed: Moss was 31 at the time and became the 7th highest paid receiver in the NFL, with a figure about 90% of the highest paid and 55% guaranteed - the top CBs are averaging about $14 million), factoring in the present value of elite cornerbacks. I expect if Revis follows Law's approach, rather than Law's lesson from the approach, he will not stay with the Pats because someone will break the bank for him and the Pats will not do that. I am hoping not.

In other words you don't want him back, because the deal you suggested has zero chance of getting it done. I get really tired of the age based projections, Revis is a HOF caliber player in the prime of his career, pay the man his value and keep this team as intact as possible to go for another Lombardi or two and one more dynasty to close out the Belichick/Brady era, that's worth far more than what might be lost in the final year of a Revis deal.

vince-lombardi-trophy.jpg

See if anyone can match our roster bonus^^^^^

Such a good post lol

A QB driven league makes is almost as much a CB driven one. With offense-oriented rules, we just can't have defensive backs that can't effectively shut down a receiver. I think Revis will be happy here making money competitive with what top corners are making, knowing he'll also be able to enjoy the chance to do what he did last Sunday night

IF we pick up his $20 million option, who will you cut or trade to pay for it?

Much as I hate the idea keeping Revis may choose them McCourty. It may well be that they use the franchise tag on Gostkowski. The Patriots have their work cut out for them this off season they need to start by doing some smart restructures to free up as much as they can, then get Revis done, that will free up another 10 million or so. I will be happy if they can simply keep this team as intact as possible, I don't care about adding free agent s, just address the remaining needs in the draft.

In other words you don't want him back, because the deal you suggested has zero chance of getting it done. I get really tired of the age based projections, Revis is a HOF caliber player in the prime of his career, pay the man his value and keep this team as intact as possible to go for another Lombardi or two and one more dynasty to close out the Belichick/Brady era, that's worth far more than what might be lost in the final year of a Revis deal.

You seem to be agitated at me. The question was what will the Pats pay Revis, not what I would pay Revis. I would be fine with $16 million a year for 4 or 5 years. I am not the Patriots. I do not want to see him go. Let's make that clear. I also expect the two will reach a deal, but it will require action on both sides. Revis is part of the defense, not the whole defense. If he wants a ridiculous number (and I am hoping he will not) and we lose other defensive pieces as a consequence of that payment, then let him go because the team becomes worse.

We are trying to predict what the Pats would do with him. The Pats did not pay the price Welker was likely seeking, and most would view that as a good decision (other than last year when the receivers were a huge issue). Talib walked, when many wanted to see him paid as well. Brady is not getting a top of the market deal, and he is fine with that. "Pay me" players will not join the Pats unless they exhaust all other options.

We have been dancing around the last few days celebrating BB the GM, but this is what he does. The question is what does Revis want? If he wants an $80 or $90 million deal for 5 years, when he will be 35, with a big chunk of guarantee money, then he will end up leaving. Mankins is gone because his perceived value dipped below his salary. He had present value, but his future value and associated costs were too high. What have you seen in recent years that reflects a "win now, not tomorrow" approach? Do you believe Belichick looks at the team and says "let's blow all our money now because when Brady leaves in 2 or 3 years the team will suck?" Aaron Hernandez was a smart, conservative deal, but the future is unclear and those numbers can bite a team hard when circumstances require a change. Revis would hit a lot harder than Hernandez, so a little restraint is warranted. The Pats have been smart managing the cap, so locking in a high end deal with no out when the player, even Revis, could become a Champ Bailey, is a bad idea. People would be calling for Belichick's head if he were paying $18 million for a Duane Starks.

In the end, I want Revis here. I believe the Pats want that as well (I have no clue how Revis feels about staying). But the Pats won't cripple personnel decisions with a staggering deal.

I'm not agitated at you I get agitated by the" he's gonna be 34 in four years so don't pay him now" arguments.. He's rare player and they brought him in and won a Lombardi, pay the man.

No one is talking 80-90 million, I said 4-60- 25 guaranteed, but I would go higher on the guaranteed if need be.

I'm not agitated at you I get agitated by the" he's gonna be 34 in four years so don't pay him now" arguments.. He's rare player and they brought him in and won a Lombardi, pay the man.

No one is talking 80-90 million, I said 4-60- 25 guaranteed, but I would go higher on the guaranteed if need be.

I like the contract figure you are suggesting. For some reason I think that will get it done. My hope is this thing just gets announced so we can move on.

The game was enough drama. I would prefer not to suffer through a "test the market" approach with Revis, nor the daily announcement of hostilities that seem to follow these contract negotiations. He is a huge piece of the puzzle.

I like the contract figure you are suggesting. For some reason I think that will get it done. My hope is this thing just gets announced so we can move on.

The game was enough drama. I would prefer not to suffer through a "test the market" approach with Revis, nor the daily announcement of hostilities that seem to follow these contract negotiations. He is a huge piece of the puzzle.

You won't have to worry about a "test the market" scenario because if he is a free agent he's gone.

That said I really believe they will get it done, it just might cost them McCourty. Big loss but you can't have everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST