PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching wise Bill isnt doing much different than he did in the past

2001: 1 Jeff Garcia Brian Griese 0
2002: 1 Pennington, Couch, Hasselback, McNabb 0
2003: 2 no one with less within 10 Attempts
2004: 0
2005: 3 several with 2 or less
2006: 0

I don't think the actual stats back up he threw many.
7 is not many? I'm also counting playoffs. He threw one in the 2003 Super Bowl and against the Broncos in 2005.

7 is not many? I'm also counting playoffs. He threw one in the 2003 Super Bowl and against the Broncos in 2005.
7 in 6 regular seasons? No, it's not that many. Might even be the lowest per attempt in that time with a minimum component.

2003 Super Bowl? WGAF? They won in no small part because of him, not in spite of him.

2003 Super Bowl? WGAF? They won in no small part because of him, not in spite of him.
They were up 21-10 when he threw a pick in the end zone which ignited the Panthers comeback. A TD would've put the nail in the coffin for the Panthers who looked like the moment was too big for them. The defense on the other hand, almost lost the Pats the game - not once, but twice.

I really believe that the rules limiting practices have taken away Bill's ability to make the team better prepared. The NFL took away his advantage, now talent trumps all. The Patriots were not the most talented team for 20 years, but they were the best prepared. You had a coach who demanded it and a player who demanded it. Now, that advantage of preparedness is gone.
Huh. I would think the more limitations are imposed on practicing, the wider the advantage for the teams that know what to focus on and how to prepare. Everyone is subject to the same rules, why can't Bill make the most of the rules that are in place?

They were up 21-10 when he threw a pick in the end zone which ignited the Panthers comeback. A TD would've put the nail in the coffin for the Panthers who looked like the moment was too big for them. The defense on the other hand, almost lost the Pats the game - not once, but twice.

No one had a better red zone interception rate in the regular season 2001-2006 (minimum 200 attempts). I was also wrong, 2005 he had 2. 2003 he had 1. So a total of 5 redzone interceptions in 6 seasons along with the lowest percentage. That's a lot: :rolleyes:

Peyton Manning
431​
13​
3.02%​
Brett Favre
402​
14​
3.48%​
Tom Brady
377​
5​
1.33%
Donovan McNabb
310​
5​
1.61%​
Aaron Brooks
307​
12​
3.91%​
Jake Plummer
307​
9​
2.93%​
Trent Green
304​
10​
3.29%​
Kerry Collins
301​
9​
2.99%​
Matt Hasselbeck
295​
4​
1.36%​
Steve McNair
295​
9​
3.05%​
Daunte Culpepper
279​
9​
3.23%​
Marc Bulger
277​
6​
2.17%​
Drew Bledsoe
276​
10​
3.62%​
Drew Brees
274​
12​
4.38%​
Jon Kitna
269​
11​
4.09%​
Brad Johnson
268​
8​
2.99%​
Joey Harrington
248​
13​
5.24%​
Jeff Garcia
241​
4​
1.66%​
Michael Vick
215​
7​
3.26%​
Jake Delhomme
211​
3​
1.42%​
Carson Palmer
210​
6​
2.86%​

BB still coaches incredibly well. Every year we have FAs that come here and say something to the tune of “15 minutes with Bill taught me more than anything else ever.”

Our problem is the QB, some of the WRs, injuries, and divisional foes finally trending up while we trended down. Teams aren’t built in a season.
What else you expect a newly arrived FA to say about their boss?

If it's not true, don't say anything.
When approached by a sports reporter, has a new FA ever replied No Comment in response to how he's getting along with the coach?

When approached by a sports reporter, has a new FA ever replied No Comment in response to how he's getting along with the coach?
Lot of things to say without saying that, I like it here, like my teammates, they work hard, looking forward to this season.

If Bill isn't doing much different than what he did in the past, he should be fired. This isn't 2014 anymore. The league is different and this team is different. If he is coaching this team like he did when he had Brady and the league wasn't totally built on talent and speed at the skill positions, he isn't suited to be a head coach in the NFL anymore.

The problem with Belichick is that he seems stuck in his ways and unable or unwilling to adapt to the new NFL.

I really believe that the rules limiting practices have taken away Bill's ability to make the team better prepared. The NFL took away his advantage, now talent trumps all. The Patriots were not the most talented team for 20 years, but they were the best prepared. You had a coach who demanded it and a player who demanded it. Now, that advantage of preparedness is gone.
And they lost the brain trust of one Ernest Adams.

One place where clearly Bill has not adopted is in his conservatism on game management. If you know your team is better than the other team, then it makes sense to play cautiously. When you are the underdog, you need to choose the high variance option - you are probably going to lose anyhow, so you should clearly throw the dice if it gives you the opportunity to win.

So clearly Bill is still living in the past when he decides whether or not to go for it on 4th down. The analytics have definitely pushed the whole League to be more aggressive in that situation anyhow, and when we are the underdog we have to be even more aggressive than others.

You're the one that has fantasized such a scenario. Players say this at random points of their time spent with BB not just right when they join the team.

One place where clearly Bill has not adopted is in his conservatism on game management. If you know your team is better than the other team, then it makes sense to play cautiously. When you are the underdog, you need to choose the high variance option - you are probably going to lose anyhow, so you should clearly throw the dice if it gives you the opportunity to win.

So clearly Bill is still living in the past when he decides whether or not to go for it on 4th down. The analytics have definitely pushed the whole League to be more aggressive in that situation anyhow, and when we are the underdog we have to be even more aggressive than others.
This line of failed thinking is so common and clearly flawed it has its own taxonomy: Gambler's fallacy - Wikipedia

This line of failed thinking is so common and clearly flawed it has its own taxonomy: Gambler's fallacy - Wikipedia

What I'm saying is quite distinct from the Gambler's Fallacy. My point is that sometimes it is better to choose something with a lower immediate expected value but higher variance. It becomes obvious to everyone towards the end of a game where you are losing ("4th-down territory") but it is also correct much earlier in the game if you are the inferior team. Your appetite for risk has to increase if you are the inferior team. But Bill has had the superior team for so long that it is very hard for him to adjust.

Mac says he’s talking to Brady. Maybe he should hire him to as a personal coach. Brady can teach him the TB12 aspect of it too.
**** me, I'm sure Brady is just loving those calls too.

I'm not loving Bob this year, but he's an experienced coach. Maybe he should spend some time talking with him?

Reactions: sb1
What I'm saying is quite distinct from the Gambler's Fallacy. My point is that sometimes it is better to choose something with a lower immediate expected value but higher variance. It becomes obvious to everyone towards the end of a game where you are losing ("4th-down territory") but it is also correct much earlier in the game if you are the inferior team. Your appetite for risk has to increase if you are the inferior team. But Bill has had the superior team for so long that it is very hard for him to adjust.
Bill is slow getting up to the speed of the current game.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back