Welcome to PatsFans.com

So it begins.....Dr. Z picks the Giants

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by richpats, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

2. stonel86

stonel86 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This guy always picks against the Giants too. weird.
  3. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

I don't remember any of Dr. Z's previous picks besides the 1993 (I believe) Super Bowl matchup between the Bills and Cowboys.

He picked the Bills to win.

Remember how that went?
  4. cblesz

cblesz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Strap yourselves in fellas...it is gonna be like this for the next two weeks...:)
  5. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm loving it already.
  6. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Dr. Z is usually pretty cogent, but I won't read this one.

Here's the problem with people who want to pick against the Patriots. They only want to dissect the ways in which the Giants can exploit some weakness the Pats have, because that makes for more interesting copy. "Blueprint", "exposed", whatever, sell more and get more clicks. None of them want to discuss the ways in which the Pats create SERIOUS matchup problems for the opposition. In this game, that's the weak Giants secondary. We saw the EXACT same line of thinking for the Jags game, and even with a perfect game plan and perfect execution, they couldn't win.

The Chargers were BY FAR the toughest matchup for the Pats of any of the 11 other playoff teams, and we survived that one.

Next.
  7. Stop Being A Jerk

Stop Being A Jerk Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

When was the last time Dr. Z was relevant? 1972?
  8. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

I don't agree with this. The Colts were, and the Jaguars played the best game out of any of the teams. The Chargers were tough as well. All three of those teams were better than the Giants.

Didn't we hear the toughness shtick before with the Jags?
  9. cblesz

cblesz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Um, never...
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

As long the "the foot" is OK, I have no concerns about this game.
  11. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I always go back to him picking the Fins to make the Super Bowl in 06':eat2:
  12. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Agree to disagree? If you're talking about the quality of the other teams, than I agree that the Colts and Jags were both better than the Chargers. However, I think a team which would hypothetically beat the Pats really needs to have a strong (and deep) secondary. The Chargers had that, and the Jags certainly didn't, which was ultimately their undoing. Sure, Brady was shaky against SD, but their corners in particular played a great game, which is why the score was as close as it was.

To beat the Pats, you have to not only score on them (run the ball well, be able to pick apart their secondary), but STOP them from scoring. The Jags defense, IMO, was not suited to do this, and they only managed to keep the score down because they were efficient on offense and sustained drives.

The Chargers, from a defensive perspective, do the two things you need to do to keep the Pats offense from running wild: 1) Have quality cover corners, 2) Get pressure off the edge.

The Giants can do the second, but not the first. You'd really need both to have a serious shot against the Pats.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  13. DonBlackmon55

DonBlackmon55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Based on confidence alone, Dr Z mustve picked the 85 Pats over the Bears too....afterall, Pats the Wilcard team gained SOOOOOOOOOOOO much confidence beating Jets, Raiders and Mighty Marino led Dolphins on the road to SB.

Then what happened in SB ? I mean come on. If all he has to go by is confidence, what the eff are Brady and Pats, chopped liver ? Pats don;t have grit ?

6 weeks ago in NY they were ready to hang Eli and Coughlin, now they've suddenly found the holy grail.

Another Azzclown. Make your case on fact boZo and you will have some credibility. Trying to bring todd Christensen and Joe Namath into a discussion shows us your brain is 30 yrs past its prime.
  14. Ootball

Ootball Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"And so it begins..."

Yeah - I'm sure it will be 2 long weeks of the Pats getting no respect & people giving them no chance to win....
  15. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You beat me to this. Per Todd Christensen:

"Having been on a team that won the Super Bowl, from a wild card spot," said Todd Christensen, the All-Pro tight end who was on the 1980 champion Raiders, "the ongoing confidence gained by continuing to win at other people's houses cannot be stressed strongly enough."

Yeah, tell that to the '85 Pats.

Regards,
    Chris
  16. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Until the Patriots completely dominated them in the second half.

I love how "tough resiliency" can serve as a reason why the Giants can win this game ("The Giants clearly were the better team, tougher, more resilient, harder hitting," and "[t]hey didn't win their 10 [sic] straight on the road against stiffs. Five of the teams were favored over New York, including Dallas and Green Bay, the conference's top two, which fell in successive weekends. The Giants had to come from behind in eight of the 10 games, including Green Bay, in Lambeau, in the frigid temperature before all those screaming fans.") and yet be perceived as a flaw in the Patriots.

Last week, maybe, but what about the week prior when he completed an NFL record percentage of passes and threw three TDs?

Conveniently forget to mention who won that game, or the fact that Maroney scored two TDs and a converted on a two point attempt. And, of course, when he discusses the Giants' running game he ignores the fact that the Patriots held them to 79 yards rushing (with 13 coming from Eli Manning) or that the Patriots have been... uh... "pretty" good against the run the last several weeks.

Maybe if "Dr." Z spent more time "analyzing" the matchups and game instead of complaining about the hype that will ensue he wouldn't fall victim to that same group of thinking.
  17. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Once again Patriot homers being overly sensitive. Look, we are going to see a lot of experts picking the Giants, get used to it.

The Giants are hot and gave us a game a month ago that we easily could have lost. Maybe we should go back to that gameday thread and pull out some of the quotes from fans who had already given up. :rolleyes:
  18. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Before jumping on people as being "sensitive homers," kindly read my post. I don't care if someone picks the Giants, I'd just like some rational reasoning. :rolleyes:
  19. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Fanbase Alert: Act like you've been there, because you have.

By the time XXXVIII and XXXIX rolled around the Eagles and Panthers poised to take away our lunch money. Give any mediot a little time and a little rope and they will get so tied up in knots they either don't know what to think or they will boldly hang themselves. They are impressed by the last thing they saw - and they fail (or perhaps refuse) to acknowledge what it really entailed.

The Giants beat 3 NFC teams. One who won it's division by default and rested for 3 weeks prior to falling flat on their face in front of it's transient home crowd (for which they will possibly be rewarded with a European home game this season...). One mismanaged team who also rested a struggling unit down the stretch. And a team who backed into HFA throughout by thrashing a perpetually fraudulent Seattle team only to have their all time INTS leader tire of film study and revert to careless, selfish gunslinging form and flat out refuse to win a championship game against a QB who managed not to throw a pick but didn't manage a TD passing all day...

I credit the Giants for being the toughest, most focused team in the NFC down the stretch. That's it though. They got to Arizona because they didn't make mistakes in a game they were under no pressure not to because Brett Freakin' Favre IS who we thought he is. The mainstream mediots will never, ever admit this. So the only alternative is, how 'bout those Giants...

And PS - it still beats 14 solid days and nights of Favre ballwashing...
  20. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

He seems like he's sick of media hype and wants to move on to another profession. He can start by asking his bosses at SI to fire some of the hypesters that work there.
  21. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

"No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits."
  22. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

The Packers were a very overrated team, weak in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The Giants were able to dominate them as a result. The trenches will be a stalemate at best for NYG vs the Pats. This will make skill position performance the key: Brad vs Manning, Plaxico vs Moss, Jacobs/Bradshaw vs Maroney/Faulk, Boss vs Watson, Webster/Madison/Ross vs Samuel/Hobbs/Gay. I like the Pats in every single one of those matchups. IF Brady is on his game, the Pats will win handily.
  23. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

Ahh yes, another vague and intangible quality that the Pats oppenent has and the Pats do not: grittiness. By grittiness, he ofcourse means less talent and a lack of any other viable adjective to use for the Giants. This reminds me of all those "smash-mouth" teams the Pats played. Seriously, I'm surprised he didn't say, "the Giants will win because of their surplus of gumption."

What exactly is more gritty about the Giants? Can I have some examples of this so-called "grittiness"?
  24. DonBlackmon55

DonBlackmon55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We already got 3 idiot, and will be 4. And Johnny boy is a dead azzclown. Karma got him - that;s what happens when to try and free a murderer.
  25. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

lolz

that giants grit just tried to give that last game away about 6x, but gb just wouldn't take it.
  26. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

"Mr. Tipton, how could it take you 5 minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit eating world 20 minutes?"
  27. Halifax_Pats_Fan

Halifax_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

...you got that right...
  28. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

"Do the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove top?"
  29. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I for one am glad to see some pick the Giants. Who are we going to have to laugh at after the pats win?
  30. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Comparatively speaking buddy, our grit is the size of bowling balls. Grit is winning 18 or maybe 21 games in a row. Few teams will do either of those things, ever. Call me when you get to our neighborhood 'Gints fan, I won't hold my breath though. Once Shockey returns you'll be back to looking for a real QB and players coach. Peyton was the first Manning to win a ring. Eli will be under pressure not to be the first to lose a ring, since Archie never sniffed one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.