PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King reviews Holley's "War Room" book

Status
Not open for further replies.
My copy showed up today.. Going to start reading it..

Really surprised that BB over-ruled his scouts in favor of believing McDaniels on both Maroney and Jackson. What is also interesting is to hear that Jackson lacked coachability. Especially when BB supposedly ran him through the ropes on the field and in the film room.

Looking forward to reading about 2008..

Have read the first three chapters.. amazing pedigree all these guys.

I just downloaded it on Kindle.

Damn if I still can't even read about That Game. I just can't do it, I get physically ill. I cannot believe how raw it still is.

No problem.

Just look at the 16-0 banner at Gillette. The fans here love that thing.

I'm also to about the same point in the book.

I'm amazed how much the revenge factor motivated the team in 2007 - not just the players, but management as well. Winning wasn't enough, the whole organization was focused on destroying their opponents each week, to basically say 'You want to call us cheaters?? Here's another TD to chew on!!'. I thought it was just us fans who felt that strongly about it..

Another poster mentioned the 2006 draft of Maroney and Jackson as well - what a disaster that was. All the scouts were warning BB to stay away from both of those guys, but McDaniels wanted them. Holley describes the scouts' reactions when we not only drafted both guys, but traded up in round 2 to get Jackson. What a kick in the groin that must have been to scouts who had been with the team for years.

Anyhow, it's been a great read so far.

I just downloaded it on Kindle.

Damn if I still can't even read about That Game. I just can't do it, I get physically ill. I cannot believe how raw it still is.

I went through the same thing last night. My heart was racing while I was reading about that game, it was like watching it all over again.

So that makes it twice this week I have had to relive that awful night. :mad:

Another poster mentioned the 2006 draft of Maroney and Jackson as well - what a disaster that was. All the scouts were warning BB to stay away from both of those guys, but McDaniels wanted them. Holley describes the scouts' reactions when we not only drafted both guys, but traded up in round 2 to get Jackson. What a kick in the groin that must have been to scouts who had been with the team for years.

Further evidence that McDaniel's apparently matriculated through the Matt Millen School of NFL Talent Evaluation?

That's a pretty self-serving remark by Jonathan.

And on general principles I doubt I'd trust anything Jonathan says anyway. I'm not looking forward to the day Bob dies or hands over the reins to Jonathan.

Pardon my ignorance, but because I no longer live in MA, I might have missed some gossip around the water cooler. What is it about Jonathan that give you folks the willies?

I just downloaded my copy. 1/4 of the way through it and there's a lot to digest.

Pardon my ignorance, but because I no longer live in MA, I might have missed some gossip around the water cooler. What is it about Jonathan that give you folks the willies?
I have had occasion to interact with JK a couple of times, albeit very briefly. The best way I can describe it is to say that, at least to me, he doesn't come off as a "regular guy/fan" like his father does. My wife's cousin went to HS with Bob at Brookline, still knows him on a first-name basis and claims he's still a "regular guy/fan" who hasn't forgotten from where he came. He's not nearly that complimentary about JK. Despite the fact that it sounds like the old "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy" stuff, the cousin is neither a BSer nor a name-dropper. That's all I can tell you from a personal experience perspective.

We get to hear him in radio interviews on occasion such as pre-game. It's difficult to be precise but he doesn't come across to me as a deep thinker, but more as an emotional reactive person. I don't have faith in his potential decision making. But this is SO subjective.

I'd met Bob several times at the old Smithfield RI summer training camps where you could walk anywhere except right onto the playing field and aside from his fixation on my wife, he came across as a decent, sincere, very down to earth guy.

Thanks. Could you all at least re-assure me that JK isn't the clueless doofus that Jimmy Irsay is?

We get to hear him in radio interviews on occasion such as pre-game. It's difficult to be precise but he doesn't come across to me as a deep thinker, but more as an emotional reactive person. I don't have faith in his potential decision making. But this is SO subjective.

I'd met Bob several times at the old Smithfield RI summer training camps where you could walk anywhere except right onto the playing field and aside from his fixation on my wife, he came across as a decent, sincere, very down to earth guy.

Does'nt Jonoathan basically run things now? Old Bob's getting up there in age and im sure hes scaled back some of his workload and he owns quite a few businesses.

The final chapter looked at the 2011 draft and other than revealing Belichick was ready to take Ras-I Dowling at 28.

Interesting. I did not know that. I knew they wanted a really good deal for the 33rd overall pick. If not they were ready to take Ras I Downling.

Does'nt Jonoathan basically run things now? Old Bob's getting up there in age and im sure hes scaled back some of his workload and he owns quite a few businesses.

Jonathan's probably been running things for a few years now, and he's nowhere near as bad as Irsay. But based on how he's reacted to Mankins, Moss, and how he's approached negotiations or reacted emotionally to things, not to mention how several years ago he wondered why Belichick wanted to spend any money at all given that they won in 2001 with free agent castoffs... I'm not looking forward to the day when Bob Kraft isn't there at the top. Jonathan was also the one that set up the CBA that immediately got opted out for this recent lockout.

In general those coaches or owners who are only there due to their last name, are rarely as good as their fathers were. They didn't have to do the hard work or heavy lifting and sometimes don't understand what it took to achieve success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft