PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King reviews Holley's "War Room" book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the post. I loved Patriot Reign and this looks to be another good read.

Thanks for the post. I loved Patriot Reign and this looks to be another good read.

This book is out now and available for purchase. I just placed my order.

Really good read. Amazon sent me mine on friday just finished it today.

For all the people who have been arguing about how BB builds his teams, this book is a must read.

Last edited:
Not only that, even Jonathan Kraft has admitted it was a distraction

That's a pretty self-serving remark by Jonathan.

And on general principles I doubt I'd trust anything Jonathan says anyway. I'm not looking forward to the day Bob dies or hands over the reins to Jonathan.

For all the people who have been arguing about how BB builds his teams, this book is a must read.

Was there a lot of "inside" information, things like what Belichick thought about prospects and things? I, personally, was fascinated that Belichick told Dimitroff to not trade up for Jones and to wait for Baldwin instead.

I'd be interested in knowing more about what you think of the book.

Was there a lot of "inside" information, things like what Belichick thought about prospects and things? I, personally, was fascinated that Belichick told Dimitroff to not trade up for Jones and to wait for Baldwin instead.

I got the book early myself. I'm 3/4 through with it, very good read.

It starts with Belichick, Pioli, and Dimitroff together with the Browns and continues to intersect their relationships through their time together in NE with personnel/coaching decisions. Holley then illustrates at length Pioli and Dimitroff's decisions to leave and how that came about. Good backgrounds on Arthur Blank with the Falcons and the Chiefs organization/Lamar Hunt as the hirings are explained.

It takes you step by step through the 2001 SB year, with nuggets of personnel and coaching decisions each year up until the 2011 draft. It was interesting to know that the Pats were set to draft Steven Jackson in '04 until Wilfork fell in their lap, even after they drafted Wilfork they tried to move back into the late first to draft him but took Ben Watson at 32 when they didn't get the deal they wanted....Wish we would've landed Jackson though!! =)

It's very detailed but it doesn't stay at one place for too long. Holley paces it well and jumps from Belichick, Pioli, and Demitroff seamlessly. Plenty of good info on Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels and Belichick's relationships with them.. Robert Kraft's role with personnel and the different and similar characteristics that the main characters have in regards to football and personality...Well worth the read.

I'm at the 2010 draft now, with 50 or so pages left (384 pages).

It starts with Belichick, Pioli, and Dimitroff together with the Browns and continues to intersect their relationships through their time together in NE with personnel/coaching decisions. Holley then illustrates at length Pioli and Dimitroff's decisions to leave and how that came about. Good backgrounds on Arthur Blank with the Falcons and the Chiefs organization/Lamar Hunt as the hirings are explained.

It takes you step by step through the 2001 SB year, with nuggets of personnel and coaching decisions each year up until the 2011 draft. It was interesting to know that the Pats were set to draft Steven Jackson in '04 until Wilfork fell in their lap, even after they drafted Wilfork they tried to move back into the late first to draft him but took Ben Watson at 32 when they didn't get the deal they wanted....Wish we would've landed Jackson though!! =)

It's very detailed but it doesn't stay at one place for too long. Holley paces it well and jumps from Belichick, Pioli, and Demitroff seamlessly. Plenty of good info on Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels and Belichick's relationships with them.. Robert Kraft's role with personnel and the different and similar characteristics that the main characters have in regards to football and personality...Well worth the read.

Wow. You have to tell us the players (2001-2010) that they wanted and didn't get. I would love to know.
Thanks!!

Yes lot's off inside stuff. Don't really want to spoil it. It is worth the money..

Wow. You have to tell us the players (2001-2010) that they wanted and didn't get. I would love to know.
Thanks!!

They don't tell us every year (unfortunately).

Some portions Holley devotes more time to their personal relationships and interactions than the actual draft itself. It was interesting to note how the team scouts were in strong disagreement about the Maroney pick (preferring Joseph Addai and DeAngelo Williams) and the Chad Jackson pick (preferring Greg Jennings). It's mentioned because it was out of character for Belichick to be hard lined against the scouts recommendations...Belichick expounds on Chad Jackson's issues later in the book, saying that Jackson never learned to translate his athleticism to the football field and basically lacked coachability.

It takes you through detailed accounts of how the 2007 team responded to Belichick being called a cheater, the pressure that being undefeated brought the team. Players like Bruschi, Troy Brown, and Vrabel getting older and noticing how much slower they looked when they studied film of themselves later in their careers. Good locker room insight on different players through the years.

It does a good job seperating Belichick the coach from Belichick the GM.. His thinking on draft day and why he moves around based on his opinion of this and next year's draft class... Good stuff.

The 2010 draft is my favorite chapter for me. With all the inside stuff on all those trades. Knowing Dallas wanted Dez, and BB believing the Jets wanted Wilson but, was not going to take a chance and grabbed McCourty..

The 2010 draft is my favorite chapter for me. With all the inside stuff on all those trades. Knowing Dallas wanted Dez, and BB believing the Jets wanted Wilson but, was not going to take a chance and grabbed McCourty..

Yeah, it was nice to read Belichick's thinking in terms of what he suspected other teams draft boards looked like and how he could manufacture extra picks and still land his targeted player.

He knew that there were always players that teams valued differently...He saw a third round grade on a player but knew other teams had a first on that player and vice versa.

Overall I've been impressed with the book so far.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing more about what you think of the book.

It is just really interesting. It starts in Cleveland with BB and Lombardi(who does not come off well) trying to build a system for building a team, that can sustain success. Also starting to weave in the story of Pioli and Dimitroff.

Then all the way up to this years draft. But it follows not only BB but Pioli and Dimitroff too. So there is lots of good stuff on Atlanta,KC and what not.

Inside the Drafts is the best stuff. The 2010 drafts stuff is great. I just like that type of inside stuff. You really get a good idea of BB's philosophy when it comes to the draft. So it is really interesting.

But as you can tell i am not the greatest writer to be describing it. I would just suggest getting the book. It is a easy read too.

I am trying to find the quote function so I can quote some passages for you.

Last edited:
Ordered mine too, will take up to 18 days till I get it, but I think it'll be worth the wait!

I am trying to find the quote function so I can quote some passages for you.

When you want to Quote a passage, all you have to do is type the words like a regular post ~ or copy and paste them if they're on line, somewhere ~ and then highlight them ~ you know: left click and drag and release your mouse over the words you want to quote ~ and then hit the icon on your menu that's 4th from the right ~ right next to the "#". Hope that's helpfull, Bro...By the same token, I hope I didn't insult your intelligence: just being thorough, don't ya know. ;)

Thanks to you and the others for sharing: I am intrigued.

I'm just glad to read it's not some Belichick Butt Kissing book given how I feel about the team right now.

No you didn't; this is a new book.

It's amazing to me that people are surprised Belichick makes mistakes.

Got mine on Amazon Kindle pre order. Downloaded a couple of days ago. Too many threads to read on the forum so haven't got past the opening chapter yet.

I just downloaded it on Kindle.

Damn if I still can't even read about That Game. I just can't do it, I get physically ill. I cannot believe how raw it still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3