PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr. Z of SI picks the Minnesota Vikings as Super Bowl champs in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same Dr. Z that was washing Peyton Manning's balls after he put up a 6 int loss. The guy ceased to make sense a LONG time ago. If he happens to get a prediction right once every 10 years its probably due solely to luck rather than any logical thought process.
I think maybe Aqwaaah4never has DR.Z bundeled in a closet and has taken his place. If it was the fins I'd know for sure.

You know what--and sorry for the double post--but I think I know what he's doing here, even if he didn't mention it. I think everyone and their mother knows that three of the top 4 teams reside in the AFC. If I'm trying to go against the grain (as he's done three years in a row now with Mia, NO and now Minny), I'm clearly not going with any of them, and I'm not going with Dallas. I'm also not going with NYG--even though they're a bit of an underdog going in--simply because they're the reigning champs.

So I'm picking a secondary team...it's not going to come from the AFC, because the three juggernauts (plus Pitt) are going to slaughter each other through the playoffs, and it's clearly going to be one of those 4 representing hte AFC. Hop over to the NFC, where you have Dallas (always a madhouse), NYG (one of the weaker defending SB champs in a while), GB (losing the GREATEST AMERICAN TO EVER WALK THIS PLANET from its team), Seattle (never a sexy pick) and...Minnesota. So you pick those guys, and maybe you get lucky: they make the playoffs (definitely possible), get a few lucky bounces and beat their NFC counterparts (could happen), and then the SB...hell, we saw first hand that crazier things have happened.

Minn opens on the road at Green Bay on Brett Favre retirement dedication night (Packers will be pumped) then come home to face Indy and Carolina. I wonder if Dr. Z will be singing the same tune if they get off to an 0-3 or 1-2 start.............

Minn opens on the road at Green Bay on Brett Favre retirement dedication night (Packers will be pumped) then come home to face Indy and Carolina. I wonder if Dr. Z will be singing the same tune if they get off to an 0-3 or 1-2 start.............

Yeah, I looked at their schedule too...it starts out--obviously, as you just pointed out--pretty tough. But after that it really doesn't look bad at all...on the road in NO and JAX, against the NYG, and their second game against GB, but that's about it for really tough games. I could easily see a 10-6 or 11-5 record with that schedule, and it's hard to say whether GB will challenge them with Rogers at the helm.

There you go trying to counter this statement with reason and logic....that will never work!

What are you doing still reading Dr. Z? IMO, the Vikings aren't even the best team in that division, let alone that conference, let alone the LEAGUE. No way they make it to the Super Bowl next year.

Yeah a few years ago I figured Dr.Z was suffering from Alzheimer's. Well, the flaming red head was suffering through his Alzheimer's.

They look like they'll have a scary defense in Minnesota this year.

According to KC Joyner, E.J. Henderson lead all linebackers last year in blocks defeated. And as we all know, secondaries get good in hurry with a good pass rush.

I don't like Jackson much either yet, but the training wheels are still on with him. Ravens rode a great defense with Tony Banks as their QB for a while, Vikings could still get a lot of millage out of their personnel if things fall their way.

Picking Minnesota doesn't bother me. I actually picked Minnesota to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year in my Myspace Blog. Why not? Giants don't excite me, Dallas will blow up again, GB is going down, and whoever comes out of the south will be one and done.

Minnesota (barring an AD injury) will have an awesome running game, killer D, and a "don't blow the game" type of passing attack. It's 2000 Baltimore all over again.

WTF is Dr. Z smoking?

With a proven veteran QB leading the team I definately could see New York as a threat, but I don't think Eli Manning has what it takes to be a starting QB in this league,let alone leading a team to the Super Bowl Championship - no way does this happen in 2007 - maybe a wild card berth in a strong division but no more than a first round exit.

Could have easily been said this year.

Until the Cowboys win a playoff game in this millennium, let alone under Romo there is no clear cut elite team in the NFC right now.

And I'm not even going to give them the title of "regular season powerhouse" until they can have back to back 13+ win years. We all saw how the Bears followed up their 2006 13-3 season, though the Cowboys obviously seem much better set for the future.

Yes. That is a very insightful and legitimate reason as to why a team that won 18 games last season should not be considered a SB contender this year.

Here is an funny parody on how the media and unwashed masses have complete disregard for anything of substance or requiring more than 3 seconds of thought.

Change "9/11" to "Patriots Cheat" and you have Spector talking to Jets fans.

I can tell you that out here in Minny-- once the Vikes traded for Jared Allen, everyone started wearing the purple-colored glasses, especially the yak-yak's on KFAN radio. They seem to look past the fact that they've still got T-Jack as their QB, or at best, the rest of their team will be good enough to overcome the QB talent.

That said, I would say that the Vikes D is going to be scary good. And if AP runs as well as he did last year, they could go deep into the NFC Playoffs. But win against the AFC elites, they will not.

Could have easily been said this year.

Until the Cowboys win a playoff game in this millennium, let alone under Romo there is no clear cut elite team in the NFC right now.

And I'm not even going to give them the title of "regular season powerhouse" until they can have back to back 13+ win years. We all saw how the Bears followed up their 2006 13-3 season, though the Cowboys obviously seem much better set for the future.

That ludicrous to compare Eli Manning who not only was a highly touted and top draft pick but whose same blood runs though 2 other great players in Peyton and father Archie who was decent

Tavaris is none of the kind

Ludicrous?

The guy led the league in interceptions last year.

Dr. Nut does not agree with Dr. Z. Taking off my homer glasses, I still think the Patriots will win it all this year. Only the Chargers or Dallas are any threat.

I don't think the Colts are a threat. I think that Jax will win the AFc South.

I'm with you "Nut" ... I said at the end of last season the Chargers are my pick (other than the Patriots) to go to and win the Super Bowl ... Dallas is my pick for the NFC. ;)

seahawks would be my pick for the NFC---Tony Homo and the cowgirls haven't won anything but have been prancing around as if they are the team of the decade. I also think that the seahawks can improve their passing game now that S.alexanders gone

I don't think it's that horrible of a pick. At least give him credit for having some balls (even though that's not really "having balls").

Minnesota could definitely be the best team in the NFC this year with that defense and Peterson.

Also, as we saw last season, all you need to do is get to the Superbowl and then you could have a lucky game where everything goes your way.

Let's not act like he picked the Raiders.

I don't think it's that horrible of a pick. At least give him credit for having some balls (even though that's not really "having balls").

Minnesota could definitely be the best team in the NFC this year with that defense and Peterson.

Also, as we saw last season, all you need to do is get to the Superbowl and then you could have a lucky game where everything goes your way.

Unless Tavaris does his impression of Doug Williams,Mark Ripien,Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson the Vikes are going nowhere without a no-name quarterback doing what the guys I mentioned did - and thats win a superbowl by just doing enough.

Last edited:

I actually think the Raiders will get into the playoffs as a wildcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call