Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dr. Z of SI picks the Minnesota Vikings as Super Bowl champs in 2008

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

WTF is Dr. Z smoking?

With a proven veteran QB leading the team I definately could see Minny as a threat, but I don't think Tavaris Jackson has what it takes to be a starting QB in this league,let alone leading a team to the Super Bowl Championship - no way does this happen in 2008 - maybe a division title in a weak division but no more than a first round exit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/06/20/vikings/index.html?eref=si_latest
  2. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Well that eliminates one team from contention...
  3. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -4

This is the same Dr. Z that was washing Peyton Manning's balls after he put up a 6 int loss. The guy ceased to make sense a LONG time ago. If he happens to get a prediction right once every 10 years its probably due solely to luck rather than any logical thought process.
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,466 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

What are you doing still reading Dr. Z? IMO, the Vikings aren't even the best team in that division, let alone that conference, let alone the LEAGUE. No way they make it to the Super Bowl next year.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I love comedy - Thats why I read his articles :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am waiting for the next article when he says that Jon Kitna will make good on his promise that the Lions will win 10 games (for the second straight year) :rofl:
  6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Dr.Z may want to place a wager on Minny if he is so sure that they are destined to be champions - I think Minny's odds right now in Vegas are 80-1 or so.

Then he could quit that sh!t job behind his desk at SI
  7. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Years ago, I figured that the "Z" in Dr. Z stood for ZERO CLUE. I can't believe he is still writing columns for a national magazine that isn't sold at the supermarket checkstands....oh wait SI is there, right next to The Star......

Was there any reference to Elvis or Aliens in his article:rolleyes:
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

He may be using the Jamie Dukes "count the pro bowlers" talent selection formula. Jamie had the Cowboys as his favorite with the Vikings as his fallback...Fran Charles jaw dropped at the mere use of the terms Vikings and Superbowl contender in the same sentence. But Jamie was not deterred. Dr. Z is kind of the same cat.
  9. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +916 / 5 / -4

Which is worse the Curse of the Madden box cover or the curse of being DR. Z's Super Bowl contestants picks? Both almost guarantee you nothing, but a bad season. I guess the Madden curse is worse just because it usually comes with a major injury.

Remember three years ago when Dr. Z picked the Dolphins to go to the Super Bowl and they ended up winning 4 games?

When Dr. Z can barely pick weekly games better than a Supermodel, you know he has no right picking Super Bowl winners.
  10. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 7 / -5

On a somewhat-tangential note, this is the same reason why teams can just KO out of bounds to avoid putting the ball in Devin Hester's hands--the Chicago O is so brutal that the odds are in your favor.

Now imagine the heartburn that would afflict opposing coaches if, say, Slater (or Wheatley) turns out to be as good as Hester. :D
  11. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Dr. Nut does not agree with Dr. Z. Taking off my homer glasses, I still think the Patriots will win it all this year. Only the Chargers or Dallas are any threat.

I don't think the Colts are a threat. I think that Jax will win the AFc South.
  12. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Time to officially add the C-R-A to his name.
  13. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm in the minority, but I think that was a good article. It wasn't great when it comes to defending a sleeper pick for the Super Bowl, but it was well-written and had some good info.

I don't think they'll win the Super Bowl, but regardless of who they have at quarterback, they're built to overcome shortcomings at the position. Adrian Peterson is one of the best three running backs in the league and Chester Taylor is a top back up. It's almost unfair when you consider they also have one of the best run-blocking lines in football. That's a tough enough situation to defend right there and it wont take much for Jackson to keep them in control of the game.

Defensively it's the same philosophy. They kill your running game but do it playing a Tampa-2. They have all of the individual talents you need to make that a strong defense with Allen, a beast of a pass rusher who can also play the run (a bonus), a good middle linebacker, a good safety, and not one but two exceptional tackles. I think they'll be one of the top-two defensive teams in football, scoring and yardage. They'll be real good.

They'll duke it out with the Packers for the NFC North and if the Vikings win 11 games and get the first or second seed I could see them getting to the Super Bowl, but then they'd have to play the Patriots. :D
  14. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow, That's just nuts.
  15. Jade Fox

Jade Fox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey as long as Dr. Jinx don't pick the Pats, I'm cool with whatever he says.:cool:
  16. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He didn't mention any AFC teams. Perhaps he forgot about the merger?

:confused:
  17. chech1965

chech1965 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Vikings...?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  18. FarScapeR

FarScapeR Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Also, he picks them to win superbowl XXIII.
  19. hambone1818

hambone1818 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 3 / -0

Whatever, he's doing what he's done for a while now: going against the grain, getting people riled up, and generally being insane. I don't even mind the article, I thought he made some decent points and I actually think the Vikings are a pretty good playoff sleeper this season.

However, to write a Super Bowl article (and remember here: he's picked Minny to WIN IT ALL, not just the NFC) and not mention a single AFC team--where four of the top five teams according to odds-makers (SB odds go NE, SD, Indy, Dallas, Pitt, in that order) all reside--is completely insane.

Their schedule isn't overly difficult (games against INDY, @JAX, @NO, and against NYG are all pretty tough, not to mention the two against GB, but the rest look imminently winnable), and GB, while tough, is breaking in an unproven QB. So I could definiitely see them winning the division. But a SB win? Over the likes of DAL, NE, SD and INDY? I really don't think so.
  20. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ooops...the old fart did mention the Pats with this witticism:

Yes. That is a very insightful and legitimate reason as to why a team that won 18 games last season should not be considered a SB contender this year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.