PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we have drafted Clay Matthews last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Ragetty Anne have cotton t!ts?
Yeah he would have been a good pick. While we are at it, can we get MJD instead of Maroney. Could we have drafted Greg Jennings in our original spot we traded out of to pick Chad Jackson. Sure what the heck......
When if's and buts are candies and nuts, we'll all have a wonderful Christmas.

Tom Brady at 199..... Aint karma a b!tch.

Last edited:
Yes, Belichick had a terrible day??????
You do know that of the players drafted in the 2009 draft, we have 3 defensive starters, 1 starter on offense, 1 starter on special teams, and 3 top backups (#4 DL, #3 WR and #4 WR). And one of the picks was traded forward for an additional top player in 2010 draft.

I guess that meeting 8 needs with solid players isn't enough for you. BTW, 6 of this year's picks are already significant contributers. There is a name for folks who celebrate their team making a few good picks instead of the patriot (and Colt) approach. the name for that type of fan is "jets fan".

The team is certainly showing how good it is with all those mediocre draft picks isn't it.

Yeah he would have been a good pick. While we are at it, can we get MJD instead of Maroney. Could we have drafted Greg Jennings in our original spot we traded out of to pick Chad Jackson. Sure what the heck......

Questioning those former picks and non-picks is relevant in discussing just about everything that has to do with the state of this team: the strengths and weakness of all of its units, coaching and drafting philosophy, what their scouts look for, etc.

Saying something's not worth discussing because hindsight is 20/20 is like saying that 95% of what's posted on this board has no place here.

As for Brady at 199, I think Scott Pioli (or maybe Belichick) said in Patriot Reign that even thought they deserved some credit in scouting him, they never thought he would turn into what he did and thus it was an incredibly lucky pick.

Can I add how many people wanted us to move up for Glen Dorsey?

And Brady wouldn't be where he is today if Bledsoe didn't get hurt. All what if's are usefull only in discussing why a team is no longer elite.

While rumors circulated about Matthews and steroids, it was a fact that Aaron Hernandez is a pothead. That didn't stop us from drafting him.

In the 4th round where people had him valued as a early 2nd rounder... and for good reason.

if Mathews was available 2 rounds after his grade... i think we would have grabbed him too

Can I add how many people wanted us to move up for Glen Dorsey?

These ones are my favourite because no one brings them up. Ony the ones that work out do everyone say oh yeah how did BB not do that. I can admit i wanted larry english if we had a outside LB to choose from. and i wanted Maualuga in the 2nd.

If you can accept the brady's, vollmers, Edlemans e.t.c of the draft you can accept them making picks that you don't agree with

Questioning those former picks and non-picks is relevant in discussing just about everything that has to do with the state of this team: the strengths and weakness of all of its units, coaching and drafting philosophy, what their scouts look for, etc.

Saying something's not worth discussing because hindsight is 20/20 is like saying that 95% of what's posted on this board has no place here.

As for Brady at 199, I think Scott Pioli (or maybe Belichick) said in Patriot Reign that even thought they deserved some credit in scouting him, they never thought he would turn into what he did and thus it was an incredibly lucky pick.

Shoulda, coulda and woulda. Wow let's all revel in that. Their 1 and 1. IMO personnel is down the list of problems. But, I am sure we would be 3 and 0 with mr. Mathews.

For the record it was between Tim Rattay and Tom Brady. You flip your coin and I'll flip mine.

The team is certainly showing how good it is with all those mediocre draft picks isn't it.

Exactly, let's settle for mediocrity (because more mediocrity) is better than less (high-end impact play-making quality), makes sense. Let's keep trading down, as a matter of fact BB can take Oakland's #5 projected overall pick next April and trade it back to Crazy Al and in turn we can get all of Al's 3rd round picks for the next 5 years, think of the depth we can build........

Forget Dorsey, how about Gholston? :scared:

we had a few of those ... I need to dig and see who wanted him ... :p

What the hell ppl?! why do we need clay matthews?!!

(in my Al Davis voice) Rob Ninkovich is a good player.... Get over it!!! :p:p

Without the steroids issues, I would think Matthews would have been drafted in the 10-15 range.

In the 4th round where people had him valued as a early 2nd rounder... and for good reason.

if Mathews was available 2 rounds after his grade... i think we would have grabbed him too

should we have drafted Chris Johnson in 2008?

Vontae Davis could have really helped out your secondary as well...

Vontae Davis was a bottom-5 starting CB last season. One of the few worse was Smith.

Vontae Davis was a bottom-5 starting CB last season. One of the few worse was Smith.

And yet was the most impressive rookie CB in the class. And so far, hes off to a fantastic start in 2010. Favre called him one of the best CBs in the league. Even your Randy Moss told Vontae last year that hes going to be a great player in this league.

He definitely took his lumps as a rookie, especially since we werent able to protect him at all b/c we couldnt roll coverage b/c we had another rookie on the other side... and we had Gabril Wilson (the worst starting FS last year) back behind him.

Kid is going to be a fantastic CB...

Last edited:
he doesn't fit the scheme.

but these days, maybe the scheme needs to change.

I have no problem with the players the pats wound up getting last year
Not jumping on your post, but there are many along this line.
5 years ago, 2005, we had a defense that included:
Willie McGinest, Mike Vrable and Rosey Colvin, Richard Seymour, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs....and Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren.
Over the following 4 years every player on the defense roster except for Wilfork and Warren has left the team in one way or another.
"The system" during those 4 years of slow, steady loss of talent, produced the following results:

1105 points allowed, or 17.3 points per game.
That is better than 30 NFL teams, and trails 1 by 15 points over a 64 game span.
In those 4 years 20 teams allowed more points than the Pats in all 4.
7 teams allowed more in 3 of the 4 years.
4 allowed more twice and less twice.
None allowed fewer points in more than 2 of the 4 seasons.

To say the system needs to be changed is simply ignoring what the system has done with top talent as well as while transitiioning to lesser and younger talent.

I assume your on a board like finheaven, what have the Jests trolls been saying this so far?

The two players I really liked and pegged as men who could do great things in NE were LaMarr Woodley, and Chris Johnson. If NE had drafted Woodley, I believe he would have been an outstanding OLB in their system. As I said at the time, he's not simply a rush end, but a strong run stuffer, and I thought he showed signs of pass coverage ability in college. Some idiot couldn't understand why I disliked Vernon Gholston, since I wanted Woodley.....maybe now that person realizes just how different they are.

Back when Chris Johnson was available, I compared his footwork, field recognition, receiving ability, and burst to a combination of Berry Sanders and Marshall Faulk. So, it's likely an understatement to say I thought he could be a special RB in the NFL, and wanted the Patriots to select him.

This is not an attempt to say "look at me, I'm the golden boy", but an honest opinion of which players I think could have made the biggest impact if NE drafted them. That being said, who knows how things are going to turn out. Look at Chad Jackson. All the talent in the world, and according to reports of BB's pre-draft visit, he aced all the test BB gave him, and Bill seemed to think he was going to be special. I'm of the opinion that his turning into the walking wounded after entering the NFL had a lot to do with his problems, but he just might have been a closet head case from the start.

Where the previously mentioned Meriweather is concerned, I haven't the slighted clue as to what's going on with him. I really liked the idea of NE selecting Meriweather, and Woodley with their two first rounders that year, and I was pretty excited about their selection of Meriweather, as he seemed to have all the skills NE was missing in the secondary, and I liked the text book hits he dropped on RB's, TE's, and WR's in college. He didn't seem to bite on play fakes all that much in college, either. He started slow in NE, but he eventually developed into one of the top 5-6 Safeties in the NFL. Now, he's not even the top Safety on NE's depth chart? Pull your head out of your azz Brandon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News