PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats Move Price ahead of Ocho?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the Pats move Price ahead of Ocho?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When has our coaching staff ever shown any tendency to start more senior players or ones that they've spent more cap money or draft picks on over younger and/or less heralded players?

Don't you think if Price were giving the coaches any reason to think he'd be more productive than any of the players getting on the field ahead of him, they wouldn't be getting on the field ahead of him?

Sometimes,SolderKing.....it's best to simply reply:GFY,instead of over-explaining an honest mistake......just my take,buddy:rocker:

Noted :)

but Italia I could get a warning:p I mean an infraction. j/k

Italia,GTFO:D:D:D

People worry way too much about personalities rather than team performance. If no one's forcing themselves into the lineup, it means to me our main guys are getting it done and our needs coud be met by some waiver wire guy idf needed which would be fine with me.

If one of Ocho or Price starts to get 3-5 receptions instead of 2 a game, that's great, but what does it really matter? There's only one football a play, let them push for time at practice and grab opportunities as they come, this sweating about marginal receivers is pointless, it doesn't matter what their resume is.
hs

This is right on the money. Ocho is the #3 WR and right now the #3WR on the best pass offense in the league is only getting 30% of the snaps. Add this to fact Ocho WAS 3 months behind in learning the system to start with; no one should be surprised what his production is. To me the only thing disappointing in Chad's season was the dropped TD pass.

There will be a time when 3 WR sets will be the focus of the offense (maybe even this week) or there will be a WR injury to Welker or Branch, and we will be very happy that Chad is with us.

The only thing that makes this thread ridiculous is the fact that it is Ocho on the chopping block again. Can't they try 4 WR sets or am I being ridiculous as well, lol. There must be a way to give him some play, at least a qtrs worth.

I'm curious as well, just not at the expense of benching Ocho.

When has our coaching staff ever shown any tendency to start more senior players or ones that they've spent more cap money or draft picks on over younger and/or less heralded players?

Don't you think if Price were giving the coaches any reason to think he'd be more productive than any of the players getting on the field ahead of him, they wouldn't be getting on the field ahead of him?

I'd be a mistake to assume that was the case, for all we know BB might think that Chad has more short-term potential than Price, and is keeping him higher so he gets more reps and develops that potential, and that if he moves Price forward it would cause Chad to check out emotionally, negating any value he'll have on the team, where as Price will still be able to be inserted into the offense at a later time if Ocho remains higher on depth chart.

well, lets take into effect that our TE's are basically receivers and create huge matchup problems. you're not going to break up your biggest mismatch to run a 3WR set just because you are paying ocho 5million$

I dont get why people dont understand is that we run 75% of our snaps in 2 TE sets.

meaning 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB....youve got one of the best WR in the league, someone in Branch who has played with brady for 6years and a dynamic TE duo...that 3rd WR gets 20-30snaps a game and we expect him to put up Branch/welker type numbers??

I dont care how much he is making, you arent going to produce those numbers when you have such limited snaps..right now he is the #5 option...and he has been producing...brady seems to trust him in tough 3rd down situations which to me is more telling than his production. and at least defenses have to respect ocho, and the plays we may not see is it may help get others open(ocho's slant route caused welker to get open for a TD in the raiders game)

Price may very well be a good player, but if BB thought he was good enough to be 3rd WR right now, he wouldnt have made the trade for Ocho...once he gets more opportunities, i guarantee he will produce more. fans here seem to whatever reason get overly excited about guys like Price, ridley, vereen

Even on plays when we use 2 TEs Welker and Branch still manage to produce, Ocho doesnt.

Even on plays when we use 2 TEs Welker and Branch still manage to produce, Ocho doesnt.

Welker/branch play 60-70 snaps a game...ocho plays 30....how is he expected to produce as much? Theres much more opportunities for them to be productive.

As I recall there were 2 gamed where ocho actually got more catches and produced more than branch

There's no question that Ocho's play in the regular season has not matched his $5.5 million price tag.

However, Price has shown flashes as a promising deep threat WR.

Those who would like to see what Price could do in a regular season game aren't saying he's better than Ocho. They're just saying they'd like to see if he can do better than Ocho in a regular season game.

When has Price shown these flashes? In a couple of preseason games when he wasn't hurt, and was playing against 3rd stringers? Yep and BB watches him practice every day. Stupid thread, stupid premise just plain dumb.

I thought is said "ONE" game...

I scan... just like my college reading for History and such... I get the content from Class. Scanning is very effective imo. I have a 3.35 overall and I'll take it.

Scan habit. my bad thought it was "ONE":eek:

I'd sit Edelman in favor of Price any god damn day... I'd sit Edelman for a "FEW" not Ocho. I'd sit Ocho for merely one at the most. We have Edelman so why is the thread not about him?

You're too late.
The Edelman bashing thread was a week or 2 ago.
This is the Ocho bashing thread
Try to keep up!

Welker/branch play 60-70 snaps a game...ocho plays 30....how is he expected to produce as much? Theres much more opportunities for them to be productive.

By not dropping the balls thrown to him, nor messing his route which allowed an INT, and by not making bonehead penalties.

Noted :)

but Italia I could get a warning:p I mean an infraction. j/k

Italia,GTFO:D:D:D

Hey Brady199......Go F' yourself for nit-picking on SolderKing.......How's that?.....feel better,now?:)

By not dropping the balls thrown to him, nor messing his route which allowed an INT, and by not making bonehead penalties.

ocho dropped 1 ball...irecall branch didnt catch anything for 2 weeks and welker had a false start against oakland .

None of that sill answers my question how someone is supposed to get more catches in half the snaps

ocho dropped 1 ball...irecall branch didnt catch anything for 2 weeks and welker had a false start against oakland .

None of that sill answers my question how someone is supposed to get more catches in half the snaps

I might be mixing preseason with regular season, but I believe Ocho has two drops and two penalties. So he has had those miscues, but he has also had a couple clutch plays. He had one beautiful toe-tap catch along the sideline to keep a drive going one game. His salary may be high, but he has been a solid asset to the team.

If you can take a moment and take a step back it is really quite funny that one of the biggest fan gripes this season is that some of them hate that we're stuck with Chad Ochocinco as our 3rd WR.

Talk about a spoiled fanbase and an embarrassment of riches @ WR, Jesus.

Chad has dropped more than 1 ball this season. He's supposed to get more catches by 1) getting open and 2) catching the damn ball when thrown to him.

The fact that Price hasn't been able to overtake Ocho already is embarrassing for him.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about BenJarvus Green Ellis and his inability to crack the starting lineup

Last edited:
Chad has dropped more than 1 ball this season. He's supposed to get more catches by 1) getting open and 2) catching the damn ball when thrown to him.

Offensive snaps:

v. Dolphins - Branch 62, Johnson 18
v. Chargers - Branch 53, Johnson 17
v. Bills - Branch 69, Johnson 60
v. Raiders - Branch 58, Johnson 18
v. Jets - Branch 72, Johnson 32
Totals - Branch 314, Johnson 145

Johnson's not lighting it up in the catch/snap ratio (he's on pace to have 19 catches if he had Branch's snap total. Branch has 23). That means he's making fewer catches per snap than Branch.

But is that because he's been a bad target?

Welker 45 catches on 65 targets (69.2%)
Branch 23 catches on 34 targets (67.6%)
Johnson 9 catches on 14 targets (64.2%)

Well, no significant difference between Branch and Johnson there. It would seem the issue is something else, because he's "catching the damn ball when thrown to him" at just about the same rate as Mr. Branch, since a 3% difference with such small numbers is obviously within the margins.

We're looking at some other reason for the numbers. What that reason is (inability to get open, lower in the progression order, Being frozen out by Brady for goosing Giselle, etc...) is something we, as outsiders, can only guess at.

I don't know what the "debate" is here. Even the strong Ocho "supporters" like to assert just how few looks Ocho has gotten as the 5th or 6th receiving option.

That being the case, assuming other receiving options are healthy, what's the harm in seeing what Price can do.

Who knows? He might actually run routes well enough to make Brady look his way more often.

The bottom line is that the team could weather Ocho sitting out entirely if the rest of the WR corps are healthy.

So what's the big opposition to seeing what Price has to offer? (and as others have said, money should not be an issue).

I don't know what the "debate" is here. Even the strong Ocho "supporters" like to assert just how few looks Ocho has gotten as the 5th or 6th receiving option.

That being the case, assuming other receiving options are healthy, what's the harm in seeing what Price can do.

Who knows? He might actually run routes well enough to make Brady look his way more often.

The bottom line is that the team could weather Ocho sitting out entirely if the rest of the WR corps are healthy.

So what's the big opposition to seeing what Price has to offer? (and as others have said, money should not be an issue).

The harm is having the better player on the bench while the worse player is on the field. If Price had shown enough in practice to be on the field, he would be on the field.

Last edited:

Scrubs play in garbage time, as injury subs, or when the better players are crapping out. In the NFL, with its roster limitation garbage time is when the regular season positioning is finished. If the Patriots wrap of the division in week 16, you can look to Price getting time in week 17. Unless there's some special teams issue he can help with, if he's in prior to that, it's probably going to be either because a receiver ahead of him got injured, or a receiver ahead of him is on the way out the door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes