PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

I am no offensive line expert but Cole Strange hasn't looked good. Got manhandled by Deforest Buckner both times we played the Colts. Beat for a sack yesterday after a couple of decent games. I don’t think he is terrible but if he wasn't a first round pick he probably wouldn't keep ending up as the starter.
Mike Lombardi has been talking about how bad line play has been in the modern NFL. Limited practices being the main culprit.

Buckner beats All Pro offensive linemen, everybody gets beat. Winning a large majority of the time is why he has been good. Deion Sanders got beat on individual plays, that’s the NFL.

Mike Lombardi has been talking about how bad line play has been in the modern NFL. Limited practices being the main culprit.

Buckner beats All Pro offensive linemen, everybody gets beat. Winning a large majority of the time is why he has been good. Deion Sanders got beat on individual plays, that’s the NFL.
I have seen a decent amount of talk about this and that seems to be the main thinking is the lack of padded practices. The offensive line play in general seems to have declined quite a bit and it makes sense that the position that solely relies on contact can't contact anyone in 75% of their practices. May take a while to calibrate what a good/great/bad offensive lineman truly looks like in today's NFL.

I have seen a decent amount of talk about this and that seems to be the main thinking is the lack of padded practices. The offensive line play in general seems to have declined quite a bit and it makes sense that the position that solely relies on contact can't contact anyone in 75% of their practices. May take a while to calibrate what a good/great/bad offensive lineman truly looks like in today's NFL.
I think Sow will be very good along with Strange, Jake Andrews and Mafi have potential. They used to be plug and play, now they have to be developed.

We’ll never know with the worst QB play in the league.

It’s clear for all to see that BB has mismanaged the OL. The end of training camp moves illustrated his Oh **** realization of the tackle position.

Let’s address how BB the GM screwed up. Instead of Mapu in the third round take RT Dawand Jones. Remember RT? The position that held the team hostage last year?

Instead of panicking like a Girl Scout who’s lost her cookies, he should have stayed at 120 and taken a LT, whether Carter Warren, whom the Jets took at 120 after we stupidly moved up with them for the kicker Chad Wideleft or Jaelyn Duncan. Still decent, developmental talent.

BB is so dreadful at the GM role esp at specific groups like OL and WR.

He needs to be fired as GM. And if he leaves for another franchise I doubt they will let him do both jobs. His draft performance has been pitiful.

It’s long overdue to bring in an outsider to be GM.

We’re running extremely well despite everyone knowing our QBs can’t throw. We do need to improve the line but it’s not as bleak as it was the first five weeks.

We’re running extremely well despite everyone knowing our QBs can’t throw. We do need to improve the line but it’s not as bleak as it was the first five weeks.

We still need a more reliable answer at LT - I'm sick of Blob Brown's on-again/off-again relationship with the game-day active list (dude should've been IRed immediately before or after the game at Miami) - and a new RT if/when Onwenu leaves... And let's face it, Andrews has never been a all-pro-caliber Center anyway, but the end is a lot closer than the beginning is now...

Another OverDraft by BB how Strange. :rolleyes:
Look at the players who went in the 20s and 30s.

They decided they didn't like any of them.

We were ticketed for Dax Hill, Kaiir Elam, George Karlaftis.

What have these players done?

Nothing.

So sure you can say a player was overdrafted but go back, look at that draft, and then try to find players in the Patriots range, it's hopeless.

Look at this redraft: Redrafting 2022 NFL Draft: Brock Purdy goes in middle of Round 1, Sauce Gardner taken No. 1 overall

No players from the 20-40 made the redraft list except for McDuffie. The guys that were elevated to #1s were players that went in the later rounds, like 6th rounder Tariq Woolen, then there's Abe Lucas, Braxton Jones, Brock Purdy, Jamaree Salyer, Pickens, Malcolm Rodriguez, Zach Tom, Kerby Joseph, Brisker, Jack Jones!!!!!!!, Jalen Pitre.

If you had taken ANY of those players I just listed in the 1st round, you wouldn't been rightfully accused of overdrafting a player.

The only possible exception to this (i.e. of the guys taken between 20-40) was Trent McDuffie.

That's it: 1 player out of 20 in that 20-40 range was worthy of a 1st round pick.

And let's face it, Andrews has never been a all-pro-caliber Center anyway, but the end is a lot closer than the beginning is now...
Good point. What about Jake Andrews? Does anyone know anything about him? This includes Billy Yates.

Two sacks in 10 games with the worst starting QB in the NFL makes him a bust?

Good grief...
13 hurries and 18 pressures

He’s not been good in pass protection and that’s been noted by a lot of the people who review the tape. Bedard was talking about it the other day. Ted Johnson has spoke about it. Lazar also.

13 hurries and 18 pressures

He’s not been good in pass protection and that’s been noted by a lot of the people who review the tape. Bedard was talking about it the other day. Ted Johnson has spoke about it. Lazar also.
PFF told us Stefon Gilmore was a bad player when we got him in 2017.

I wipe my *** with analytics. A bad QB makes everything look bad.

We were ticketed for Dax Hill
Yep. He sat in reserve his rookie year with the Bengals. He’s pouring it on now that he’s playing. Instead BB inanely took Cole Strange, ideally suited for teams reliant on an outside zone scheme, which we are not one.

That redraft upstater1 links to was from last February. Not enough to accurately forecast.

Trent Brown should not be considered a long term answer at LT. Calvin Anderson? Is he like the boy in the bubble? Where’s he?

And VLowe grievously disappointed. Wheatley? A capital P project I have no faith Billy the DEI hire or Klemm, another mystery illness guy, will be able to develop.

Good point. What about Jake Andrews? Does anyone know anything about him? This includes Billy Yates.

Jake the Third Fake? Another multi-round overdraft. Heck, Notre Dame's Jarrett Patterson - a clearly superior prospect from a clearly superior program - wasn't selected until the 201ST pick, which is a LOT closer to - if not Exactly - where Andrews should've gone compared to where he actually went.

More draft-weekend clownery from our clown grocery shopper.

Yep. He sat in reserve his rookie year with the Bengals. He’s pouring it on now that he’s playing. Instead BB inanely took Cole Strange, ideally suited for teams reliant on an outside zone scheme, which we are not one.

That redraft upstater1 links to was from last February. Not enough to accurately forecast.
So what you're saying is that redrafts change as players develop.

That's funny.

So we should wait and see.

By the way, shouldn't we be building our offense instead of drafting safeties when we have Dugger, Peppers, Phillips, Mills, etc. back there?

I'd really rather have an offensive lineman over a reserve who isn't going to displace our starters.

I think it's smart at this point to maximize the potential of our OL.

So what you're saying is that redrafts change as players develop.

That's funny.

So we should wait and see.

By the way, shouldn't we be building our offense instead of drafting safeties when we have Dugger, Peppers, Phillips, Mills, etc. back there?

I'd really rather have an offensive lineman over a reserve who isn't going to displace our starters.

I think it's smart at this point to maximize the potential of our OL.
How did the wait and see approach work out for all the other busts? Most of the time when we pick a bust it is evident early on.

How did the wait and see approach work out for all the other busts? Most of the time when we pick a bust it is evident early on.

Yep... Another foolish hope that was perpetuated here, especially during the Lost Decade, was that Next Year would be even better because all of This Year's draft picks who didn't contribute - for whatever reason/excuse - would be added to next year's picks so that it would be like having "Two Drafts!"

Naturally, most of that same next year's picks wouldn't contribute either. And so on... and so on...

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back