PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

i feel the need to remind everyone, that Mac did not really play well against the Bills, and that should be the worst typical type of game he has

he was lucky his lost fumble was recovered by his own Olineman, and also lucky a very easy pick was dropped by the D, otherwise we would have a lost on our hands and he would have 2 additional turnovers

he also had multiple off target easy passes.

If this is his average game, we need a new starting QB, if his average game is better than the bills game, we're talking. If his average game is significantly better than the bills game, we have a top starting QB

but what we say against the bills is not a starting caliber QB in the NFL for a team that wishes to make noise in the playoffs

How is 5 incompletions and a TD to win with no timeouts a bad-average game? Or the worst any QB should play?

You don't have to think hes the future. I don't necessarily think he is. But lets not try and twist ourselves into a pretzel to feed a narrative. He had a real good game. It's ok to admit it

You do watch other NFL games right? I mean if that is the worst a QB should ever play now do Purdy, Tua and Hurts last week!

Last edited:
that Mac did not really play well against the Bills

Not according to most experts, and other QBs like Aaron Rodgers who said he played outstanding in that game. His critics are basically looking for perfection now after he had his best game of the year.

he was lucky his lost fumble was recovered by his own Olineman, and also lucky a very easy pick was dropped by the D, otherwise we would have a lost on our hands and he would have 2 additional turnovers

we overcame turnovers from Bourne in the game. you're talking about "What Ifs" now to knock him..

He had 5 total incomplete passes on the day and over 80% completion percentage.........

If this is his average game, we need a new starting QB, if his average game is better than the bills game, we're talking. If his average game is significantly better than the bills game, we have a top starting QB
He went 25/30, 272 yards, 2 TDs and no interceptions... and you say he has to be "significantly" better than that against a divisional rival who is one of the top teams in league?

but what we say against the bills is not a starting caliber QB in the NFL for a team that wishes to make noise in the playoffs

this is just a wild statement... Mac played great and was one of the primary reasons we won the game.. he also lead 4th quarter 2 minute drive from behind to win the game, something his critics have been all over him about.

We'll see if this is the offense trending upwards or if this was an anomaly, but you're picking an odd time to be so critical of Mac when he just had his best performance of the year and had a clutch game winning drive as the underdog against a top Bills team

I'm not saying he's amazing and all our problems are cured... but may need to put your pitchfork away for at least this week, you're reaching hard. I get all the posts crapping on him after the last several weeks of some of the most nightmarish offensive football ive ever seen, but the team just played really well and people are still crapping on him? Is this going to the the standard operating procedure this entire year? Crap on him when we lose, crap on him when we win.. tar and feather him for every incompletion or "almost" scenario? Talk about exhausting...

Can we enjoy this win?

How is 5 incompletions and a TD to win with no timeouts a bad-average game? Or the worst any QB should play?

You don't have to think hes the future. I don't necessarily think he is. But lets not try and twist ourselves into a pretzel to feed a narrative. He had a real good game. It's ok to admit it

You do watch other NFL games right? I mean if that is the worst a QB should ever play now do Purdy, Tua and Hurts last week!
Did you watch the game? Mac was okay and led a game winning drive but that performance isn't going to win week in week out.

Did you watch the game? Mac was okay and led a game winning drive but that performance isn't going to win week in week out.

Generally if you only have 5 incompletions and throw 2 tds it probably is good enough to win. Look around the league.

And yes I watched the game.

Generally if you only have 5 incompletions and throw 2 tds it probably is good enough to win. Look around the league.

And yes I watched the game.
His stats were fine but he was still shaky at times. I don't want to make it seem like I thought he was terrible by any means but Sunday finally seemed to be the day where the ball bounced right for him. Regardless it was easily his best game of the year.

His stats were fine but he was still shaky at times. I don't want to make it seem like I thought he was terrible by any means but Sunday finally seemed to be the day where the ball bounced right for him. Regardless it was easily his best game of the year.

I don't disagree there. The play where he basically gave up once he saw pressure was pretty bad. And the near pick.

Hopefully it's a step in the right direction. Thought first 2 games were decent then he went off the rails

i feel the need to remind everyone, that Mac did not really play well against the Bills, and that should be the worst typical type of game he has

Not a member of Corky's fan club, but I thought he did some things in this game that he didn't do in any of the other games, including the first two "close losses" where he didn't perform nearly as well as some folks were claiming either. I thought that, for the most part, he kept his head down-field longer, moved around the pocket better, displayed better overall form and stepped into more of his throws with decisiveness.

Whether all that continues in Miami is anyone's guess...

Line improved substantially with RG Onemenu moved to RT. But against Miami RG still is a work in progress. Mafi being trained at LG. That was dumb. He lacks the athleticism to play anything other than stout RG. And Sow, a well trod guard was experimental at OT. A bad experiment. With Strange out all summer, he clearly should have been working at LG.

That way Chasen Hines could have competed where he belonged: RG. Putting him at LG was stupid.

Too much reinventing the wheel going on.

Line improved substantially with RG Onemenu moved to RT. But against Miami RG still is a work in progress. Mafi being trained at LG. That was dumb. He lacks the athleticism to play anything other than stout RG. And Sow, a well trod guard was experimental at OT. A bad experiment. With Strange out all summer, he clearly should have been working at LG.

That way Chasen Hines could have competed where he belonged: RG. Putting him at LG was stupid.

Too much reinventing the wheel going on.
Lazar seems to be about done with Strange. Basically called him a bust.

Not a member of Corky's fan club, but I thought he did some things in this game that he didn't do in any of the other games, including the first two "close losses" where he didn't perform nearly as well as some folks were claiming either. I thought that, for the most part, he kept his head down-field longer, moved around the pocket better, displayed better overall form and stepped into more of his throws with decisiveness.

Whether all that continues in Miami is anyone's guess...

Well so much for that.

That's a bold statement, especially from a company writer such as Lazar.

Strange has been weak. But he makes a point about continuity. The OL needs new personnel next year, but these guys can play better.

The line needs better coaching.

With Klemm out with an illness of some sort, who is guiding the men? Billy Yates.

Oh, that’s just great.

Can we get someone better?

Lazar was done with Strange on draft day when BB took a guard. His head nearly exploded.

The drop off when Strange was out of the lineup was clearly visible. He’s good more often than not.

Change the QB and magically the line will look better, and it won’t be because the line needed to drastically improve.

It looks as though Trent Brown is a no-go against the Giants. We will see a lot of McDermott. Better than VLowe who has been close to catastrophic. Is Anderson still with the team?

I think Billy Yates has to prove himself almost as much as the players.

Wozzy, Cole Strange is much more valuable to a team that runs outside zone. We don’t have enough athletic guys on the OL to run that effectively. See last year in TC.

Besides, Strange was overdrafted. If he had been taken a round later he would have been overdrafted. That’s why an outside zone run team like the Rams were looking at him at 117 or whatever it was that year.

I expect Dexter Lawrence to put Skinny Jeans 69 on ice skates—just like Quinnen Williams does.

It looks as though Trent Brown is a no-go against the Giants. We will see a lot of McDermott. Better than VLowe who has been close to catastrophic. Is Anderson still with the team?

I think Billy Yates has to prove himself almost as much as the players.

Wozzy, Cole Strange is much more valuable to a team that runs outside zone. We don’t have enough athletic guys on the OL to run that effectively. See last year in TC.

Besides, Strange was overdrafted. If he had been taken a round later he would have been overdrafted. That’s why an outside zone run team like the Rams were looking at him at 117 or whatever it was that year.
If you want to address me personally, then reply to my post, otherwise it seems like you want to want to make a point about something I’ve said but want to avoid any pushback.

Strange is very strong, he can play any scheme you want or need to. He posted some serious numbers in the weight room exiting college.

Some Pat’s fans and media had a conniption fit because BB drafted a guard… that’s the only reason Strange gets criticized at the level he does… the position he plays.

Lazar was done with Strange on draft day when BB took a guard. His head nearly exploded.

The drop off when Strange was out of the lineup was clearly visible. He’s good more often than not.

Change the QB and magically the line will look better, and it won’t be because the line needed to drastically improve.
I am no offensive line expert but Cole Strange hasn't looked good. Got manhandled by Deforest Buckner both times we played the Colts. Beat for a sack yesterday after a couple of decent games. I don’t think he is terrible but if he wasn't a first round pick he probably wouldn't keep ending up as the starter.

I am no offensive line expert but Cole Strange hasn't looked good. Got manhandled by Deforest Buckner both times we played the Colts. Beat for a sack yesterday after a couple of decent games. I don’t think he is terrible but if he wasn't a first round pick he probably wouldn't keep ending up as the starter.
First round picks on the OL shouldn't have flaws in his technique. He does. Very athletic though and has upside. But that's the kind of guy you take in the 3rd round maybe late 2nd at most.

First round picks on the OL shouldn't have flaws in his technique. He does. Very athletic though and has upside. But that's the kind of guy you take in the 3rd round maybe late 2nd at most.
I think they drafted him as a part of the short lived stretch-run game experiment and he isn't really a fit for what they do now.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back