PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF pick final result: #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think the #7 is worth more than those charts say, it a nice mix of position (top ten) and salary cap implications...it really depends on the players, if the GM of another team is drooling over someone who's there, then the talking begins.

Re: SF pick final result: #7 (and 63rd+ 66th, 67th, or 68th)

With a three way tie among KC, Oakland and Atlanta on winning percentage, it may come down to a coin flip to see which is the Oakland Pick in the thrd round that the Pats possess.

How is the Strength of Schedule really determined?:confused:

It could be the 3rd 4th or 5th pick in the Third round depending on the order that they select after the flip. (65th, 67th, or 68th). Ideally we would want the Raiders to lose the coin flip; and they would then get promoted to the third pick on the third round for the Pats.:D

I can hope that the Pats draft picks will be #7, #63rd and #66th and # 95th through three rounds.

Last edited:
On reflection, I also think that the Patriots should petition Commissioner Roger Goodell for a review and revision of the penalty imposed on them.

Like many other cases and individuals who have had their penalties reduced, they should try. They could make the argument that similar infractions, perhaps even more important, had the precedent set of third round draft pick forfeiture. They could site the cases and the precedent set for the 49ers and Broncos for CAP cheating. They should ask fro a penalty that conforms with established precedents.

If Goodell were to revisit the penalty and take a precedent-conforming penalty of the third round pick draft forfeiture, the Pats could get back their presumed #32 draft pick, and lose their presumed #95 pick.

On reflection, I also think that the Patriots should petition Commissioner Roger Goodell for a review and revision of the penalty imposed on them.

Like many other cases and individuals who have had their penalties reduced, they should try. They could make the argument that similar infractions, perhaps even more important, had the precedent set of third round draft pick forfeiture. They could site the cases and the precedent set for the 49ers and Broncos for CAP cheating. They should ask fro a penalty that conforms with established precedents.

If Goodell were to revisit the penalty and take a precedent-conforming penalty of the third round pick draft forfeiture, the Pats could get back their presumed #32 draft pick, and lose their presumed #95 pick.

I kind of thought the same thing, but already going 16-0 it seems to me a lot of the damage from Spygate is going away. If they go 19-0, the effect will be even more so.

Appealing the penalty would only bring more media attention to the whole thing. I'd rather eat the pick than take the risk of further media trashing.

Re: SF pick final result: #7 (and 63rd+ 66th, 67th, or 68th)

How is the Strength of Schedule really determined?:confused:

Well it is pretty simple, take all the teams with the same win and lose record. Then you take the combined number of wins of all the teams that you played, and divide it by the number of total games those teams played(which should be 256). And then the team who has the lowest percentage would get the earlier pick. Which would make sense since the team with the easiest strength of schedule is basically the worst team and would thus warrent the lower pick.

i hope that they do try this.. but if it happened, we all know it wouldn't be until after the season is over.

I'm really curious to see what happens

I kind of thought the same thing, but already going 16-0 it seems to me a lot of the damage from Spygate is going away. If they go 19-0, the effect will be even more so.

Appealing the penalty would only bring more media attention to the whole thing. I'd rather eat the pick than take the risk of further media trashing.

I really don't think that there has been any dampening of spygate feelings at all league-wide among players, teams, fans and media. All of the people calling us cheaters feel exactly the same way today, except they hate us more. We can't make decisions based on how other people feel about us.

Last edited:
If we keep the pick, Would it be Laurinaitis or Gholston?

Last edited:
i hope that they do try this.. but if it happened, we all know it wouldn't be until after the season is over.

I'm really curious to see what happens

Let me clue you in.
Nothing will happen.
This is real life, not fanboy fantasy land.

If we keep the pick, Would it be Laurinaitis or Gholston?

I'm a huge Laurinaitis fan, so it will probably be Gholston, lol. I read somewhere that the Jets may take Laurinaitis at #6 just to spite the Pats. I'd hate to have to see Davd Harris and James Laurinaitis in the middle for the Jets year after year. I was a big Harris fan, and he was unbelievable for the Jets this year, I pray they don't get Laurinaitis.

Let me clue you in.
Nothing will happen.
This is real life, not fanboy fantasy land.

Someone had a bad New Years LOL.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Laurinaitis fan, so it will probably be Gholston, lol. I read somewhere that the Jets may take Laurinaitis at #6 just to spite the Pats. I'd hate to have to see Davd Harris and James Laurinaitis in the middle for the Jets year after year. I was a big Harris fan, and he was unbelievable for the Jets this year, I pray they don't get Laurinaitis.

Do you think Mangini would really jeapordize his future by doing that? They have much bigger needs than getting a young stud to play ILB.

For those still wanting McFadden, if the Jets pass on him then he's ours. (If we were to so choose...)

Dolphins, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders and Ravens are all more than fine at the RB spot, and the Falcons need a new franchise QB.

Last edited:
Do you think Mangini would really jeapordize his future by doing that? They have much bigger needs than getting a young stud to play ILB.

If you draft a player in the 1st round and he's a starter for you because he deserves to start, the pick is defensible. It doesn't matter what your "needs" are. If the 49ers had their own pick and they wanted to draft another LB this year, after taking Willis last year, and they thought he was as good as Willis (and therefore an upgrade over Derek M. Smith), there is nothing wrong with having "two" Patrick Willises and it doesn't matter that they need offensive line help, too. It's just about making your team better by upgrading.

For those still wanting McFadden, if the Jets pass on him then he's ours. (If we were to so choose...)

Dolphins, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders and Ravens are all more than fine at the RB spot, and the Falcons need a new franchise QB.

Justin Fargas isn't good enough to keep D-Mac out of Oakland.

If the Jets take James Laurinaitis ahead of us, I hope some team that needs a QB like Chicago or Carolina trades with us to take the QB that Baltimore would want when they picked after us, because I think we can get Gholston later than 7, and there's a big drop from Laurinaitis and the rest of the LBs.

I'm not jumping on anyone's bandwagon--I've been burned too many times already :)--but it seems like there's a big split on whether Laurinaitis could play in the Pats' 3-4, let alone whether or not he's available for/worth drafting. . . .

Justin Fargas isn't good enough to keep D-Mac out of Oakland.

If the Jets take James Laurinaitis ahead of us, I hope some team that needs a QB like Chicago or Carolina trades with us to take the QB that Baltimore would want when they picked after us, because I think we can get Gholston later than 7, and there's a big drop from Laurinaitis and the rest of the LBs.

Fargas is a FA IIRC. I would expect the Raiders to take McFadden if he's there. They'd add him to Jamarcus at QB and could then build a team around them over the next few years. They did draft Michael Bush last year, but he's not going to prevent them from taking McFadden. He won't get past Raiders/Jets. If he does, then the Pat's would have at least 5+ teams bidding for their pick on draft day.

You can add the Jets to the list of teams needing a franchise QB. It was noted this week that Kellen Clemens' 07 season joins the likes of Akili Smith, Andrew Walter, Ryan Leaf, Kordell Stewart, Kyle Orton, and Joey Harrington for worst QB seasons since 2000, as ranked by season QB rating. His season was the 7th worst. Clemens has backup QB written all over him. The Jets need O-Line help badly, but they also need a QB and they will have a shot at a nice one at #6 this year, getting their choice of Brohm or Andre Woodson and leaving Baltimore with which one is left.

You can add the Jets to the list of teams needing a franchise QB...since 2000, as ranked by season QB rating. His season was the 7th worst. Clemens has backup QB written all over him. The Jets need O-Line help badly, but they also need a QB....

I whole-heartedly agree. Clemens looks like solid back-up material. Nothing more.

Except the Jets may disagree, as he is still developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back