PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF pick final result: #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rules for draft pick order (After Week 15: SF pick #5)

I'm not happy that the Jets pick before us. Last year we had the pick before them and freaked out and had to make a big jump to grab Revis. This year they will probably take the player we want as any player at there pick would be an upgrade at the position for them.

I agree completely. I've been rooting for a SF resurgence to give us a high talent, reasonable cap hit Top TEN pick, a pick that also is more tradeable.

sorry, but this is dumb. if you really want the #10 pick, you can trade a #2 to get it AND get that teams #1 next year.

if you have the #10...that's all you can get.

higher picks are always always always always better than lower picks, b/c you can trade down

sorry, but this is dumb. if you really want the #10 pick, you can trade a #2 to get it AND get that teams #1 next year.

higher picks are always always always always better than lower picks, b/c you can trade down
Who would be the trading partners in this years draft? I think that we would be better off around 7 or 8. I think then as players come off the board, as trading partner will be easier to find.

There have been teams who were in the top 5 in recent drafts that were desparate to trade out but could not a a trading partner and had to pick a player that they weren't that high on.

If not we can take player that fits our needs better without being forced to take a the best player available who may not fit our needs.

You cannot always find a trading partner willing to pay the cap hit for a #2 pick. I'm satisfied with a Top 10 pick and expect around the 5th, which I also expect to see traded.

Who would be the trading partners in this years draft? I think that we would be better off around 7 or 8. I think then as players come off the board, as trading partner will be easier to find.

There have been teams who were in the top 5 in recent drafts that were desparate to trade out but could not a a trading partner and had to pick a player that they weren't that high on.

If not we can take player that fits our needs better without being forced to take a the best player available who may not fit our needs.

none of this makes sense.

a guy who "fits you" and is available at 10 will be available earlier.

and teams can always trade down, it's just a matter of recieving back what they feel is fair value.

I mean, if what you are saying is true - that is can be preferable to have the #10 pick as opposed to a higher pick - then you would see teams trade a high pick , say the #5, AND another pick, say a 2nd rounder, and recieve back the #10.

but this has never happened. ever.

therefore, higher picks are better, 100% of the time

exactly how many draft picks are you guys expecting to make the 2008 Patriots?

So far the kept Merriweather (who actually, almost made a play yesterday) and Lua (7th) on IR.

If you can get a top five talent, take it.

Since 1991 the Pats have drafted in the top ten four times, each time they go themselves an impact player, right away

1993 Bledsoe (1)
1994 McGinest (4)
1996 Glenn (7)
2001 Seymour (6)

exactly how many draft picks are you guys expecting to make the 2008 Patriots?

So far the kept Merriweather (who actually, almost made a play yesterday) and Lua (7th) on IR.

thats not exactly fair. the 2nd round pick turned into Wes Welker, a 4th Randy Moss, and another got taken by the Jets a few weeks ago.

Thanks, I was curious after SF had won as to where we were picking. Yes, keep posting this weekly if you can.

.....If you can get a top five talent, take it.

Since 1991 the Pats have drafted in the top ten four times, each time they go themselves an impact player, right away

1993 Bledsoe (1)
1994 McGinest (4)
1996 Glenn (7)
2001 Seymour (6)

True, but that was BEFORE the incredible increase in signing bonuses and total contracts amounts (for the recent 1st rounders) ....see the 2001 draft contracts below:

(while LT was a great signing at the # 5 pick, I would have to say that the best VALUE of the whole top 10 picks would go to the Pats pick of Seymore at # 6 for $14.3 mill over 6 years......moral of the story....I'm happy with a pick from spots #4-8 which I think is a prime range for a great player, reasonable cost and great chance to find a trading parter to move down which is what I expect the Pats will do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2001/05/07/first_round_signings/
2001 NFL Draft First-Round Signings

Pos. Player
Contract

1 Atlanta Falcons
Michael Vick, QB, Virginia Tech 6 years,
$62 million

2 Arizona Cardinals
Leonard Davis, T, Texas 6 years,
$35 million

3 Cleveland Browns
Gerard Warren, DT, Florida 6 years,
$33.6 million

4 Cincinnati Bengals
Justin Smith, DE, Missouri --

5 San Diego Chargers
LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, TCU 6 years,
$38 million

6 New England Patriots
Richard Seymour, DT, Georgia 6 years,
$14.3 million

7 San Francisco 49ers
Andre Carter, DE, California 5 years,
$11.6 million

8 Chicago Bears
David Terrell, WR, Michigan 5 years,
terms undisclosed

9 Seattle Seahawks
Koren Robinson, WR, N.C. State 6 years,
$10.1 million

10 Green Bay Packers
Jamal Reynolds, DE, Florida State 5 years,
$9.011 million

True, but that was BEFORE the incredible increase in signing bonuses and total contracts amounts (for the recent 1st rounders) ....see the 2001 draft contracts below:

Bingo!
Some fans completely forget the Patriots philosophy of value per cap dollar. Unless you're desperate, say for a starting QB, the 1st few picks are way overpriced, and today's trading partner GMs know it too.

Bingo!
Some fans completely forget the Patriots philosophy of value per cap dollar. Unless you're desperate, say for a starting QB, the 1st few picks are way overpriced, and today's trading partner GMs know it too.

but prices for ALL players have gone up. not just draft picks.

but prices for ALL players have gone up. not just draft picks.

No. It's the RELATIVE prices to the subsequent picks. The 1st several picks are temporarily overpriced to those teams concerned with value. The price has diminished their potential trade value except for a team really desperate for a player, q.v. a QB.

For the ppl wanting a higher pick:
You do realize that with a lower pick. You have the option of drafting higher (by just not picking on time). With a higher pick, you don't have the option of drafting lower (unless you can agree to a trade in which you have to give something else up).
Therefore, the lower pick is without a question worth more than the higher pick.

For the ppl wanting a higher pick:
You do realize that with a lower pick. You have the option of drafting higher (by just not picking on time). With a higher pick, you don't have the option of drafting lower (unless you can agree to a trade in which you have to give something else up).
Therefore, the lower pick is without a question worth more than the higher pick.

Yes, in previous threads on the same topic I'd mentioned just waiting out and 'missing' the pick, Vikings style. I think it's still allowed although Polian may insert a prohibition before the April '08 draft.

As noted before, there's NO downside to having a higher pick, unless you think Pioli will make a cap-busting error that you wouldn't make in his place.

That said, the Niners' last two games appear to be against playoff teams that have seedings to play for. So there's a fine chance they'll lose both. Unfortunately, the 3-11 teams are the Jets (post-Pats hangover), Rams (playing Pitt), and Falcons (imploding?), so the odds are they'll lose at least next week too. At least the Jets and Rams have winnable final matchups (Chiefs, Cardinals).

At 4-5, which seems to be where the pick is most likely to fall, the BPAs seem likely to be some combination of:

1. QB
2. DL
3. Jake Long
4. McFadden

If it's DL, that's great from a trade perspective -- most teams, especially bad ones, could use a DL upgrade. Not a lot of bad teams have blue chip OTs either. The need for QB is actually less -- assuming the Jets have picked by then, just who exactly is competing with Chicago for the #2 QB taken?

Another thing people are forgetting is that the general draft board will still shift quite a lot. In particular, I'd expect at least one CB to rise. E.g., Darrell Revis shot up -- and is looking to be worth it. So, personality aside (admittedly a big flaw), is D'Angelo Hall.

Last edited:

Yes, in previous threads on the same topic I'd mentioned just waiting out and 'missing' the pick, Vikings style. I think it's still allowed although Polian may insert a prohibition before the April '08 draft.

Had thought the same as well - Pats just waiting for a phone call and a reasonalble trade offfer - and if no trading partners, just not turning in a name on the card - bumping down to the next pick. This process continuing until they get a good trade or until the value is there. In the meantime Goodell getting more and more red in the face while the Pats spit on the concept of the (flawed) draft process. Flawed because the cap hit is just such a gamble - to invest so much into one player. (All your eggs in one basket). The Pats don't need a 'savior' player to turn the franchaise around. Even if he is a good player, the injury factor could end a season or even their career. So thats why the Pats approach of having a strong (well paid) middle class is so important. One player goes down another comes in and the train keeps 'a rolling.

Another poster commented that the cost of ALL players (not just rookies) has gone way up recently as well (free agents). True, but at least you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting. You have game tape of the player in NFL games against NFL talent in an NFL (team) system. You can see if the players' body can handle the punishment and grind of a long NFL season. For a college player - all of these variables are just guesses. And at $ 40 - 60 MILLION for a top five draft pick, that is one hell of a gamble.

Have to also consider the ramnifications it makes to the morale of your existing players - if you let Samuel walk and you pay a rookie $50 mill - what does that say to your team! Having a rookie come in and being one of the top 5 paid players in your locker room. The Pats will not allow themselves to create that injustice of pay. Even if they keep the current position of # 5, I expect them to trade down into the # 10-15 range. I actually even can imagine them trading down in the first round MORE than once and ending up with a pick in the low 20's. (and stockpiling 2nd round picks). Especially if this draft is as deep as it sounds - depending on which Juniors declare. I think this will be an exciting draft for the Pats considering the picks we have (high 1st rounder, 2nd rounder & Raiders high 3rd rounder) and the talent coming out. While I am projecting - I see on the 1st draft day the Pats picking a CB, LB, and a OT - maybe even a RB.

(while LT was a great signing at the # 5 pick, I would have to say that the best VALUE of the whole top 10 picks would go to the Pats pick of Seymore at # 6 for $14.3 mill over 6 years.

FYI - That figure for Seymour is low. He could have earned much more than that ($24.3 million) if he reached all of his incentives and escalators. I'm pretty sure that the numbers for some of the other players include what the player could earn if he reached all of his escalators and incentives. Fluff in salary cap reporting. Imagine that;)

This week's 3 win team's lineup...

Falcons
ATL @ ARI

Jets
NYJ @ TEN

Rams
PIT @ STL

Well, all have a much better shot of winning this week than last week.

Arizona and the Titans hardly evoke fear, yet both are on the road and the Titans are still fighting for a playoff spot.

Yes this is the second week in a row, but I feel once again the Rams have a good shot of winning, at home on primetime. Thursday night game that I'll actually be interested in. If the Steelers lose and the Browns finish up 2-0, the Browns are the AFC North Champion.

I'm mainly rooting for a Jets win, having the pick ahead of them would be lovely.

I'm not happy that the Jets pick before us. Last year we had the pick before them and freaked out and had to make a big jump to grab Revis. This year they will probably take the player we want as any player at there pick would be an upgrade at the position for them.

I dont think we have to worry about the jets taking whatever player we want...Just look at history...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Last edited:

Well, the JEST did take Kyle Brady. . . . :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back