PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour is a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't recall when's the last time I saw Seymour play a better game than what I saw of that game last night. He was on fire. He was the Seymour of old, simply put. Or of young.

I don't necessarily think that he would have been that dominant had he stayed with the Pats, though. Sometimes, that kick in the (_._) wakes you up something fierce.

I wish him the best unless he plays the Pats.

People forget to factor in one thing, when they say "I would rather have him for one season, than to get a first round pick". That is, you most likely won't even have him for one season. In 6 out of his 8 years, he didn't play a full season. Even much of the time he's playing he is hurt.

How many monster games like last night did he have in the last few seasons? Not a lot. But, it's contract time.

Last edited:
Seymour would have played the same as last night and even better for us all those years if our defense was a ONE GAP RUN STRAIGHT TO THE QB system.

We had him here for a number of years and as a two gap player he was part of some pretty average defenses lately. I don't remember him taking over any games in several years.

If BB let him rush the passer on every down, which I personally would love, I think Seymour would have three times the sacks he did with NE.

The problem was that in a two gap system, he was no longer the same player, at least from my armchair he seemed to lose the two gap PUSH.
Well said. BB has kept a leash on Seymour since the Pats have gone to a base 3-4 in 2003, having him play 2-gap DE. His best performances have been as a DT (think snow game, SB36, SB39 (as a 2-5 DT)) splitting the gaps. Still, he excelled as a 2-gap 3-4 DE, but he sacrificed stats for the good of the team.

I am not shocked at all at his Oakland debut where he basically pinned his ears back and went after the QB. He played RDE and DT and was superb in both. He was doubled much of the night by two linemen and still couldn't be contained. It was an awesome performance and I'm glad I watched it. I hope the best for him in Oakland because he gave us some great memories that all sports fans would love to have.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Re: seymour is a best

It's not that simple, don't let your emotions get the best of you! A high first round draft pick in a likely rookie-capped pool is more valuable than 1 year of a all-pro d-line man. It's 5+ years of a top 15 type talent, had cheap vs 1 year of Seymour. Sure, I'd love to have him for this year, but I also want this Dynasty to continue. These are the types of moves that sustain success. You don't mortgage your future for now in the NFL.

Bingo, Satch.

When GrogansArmy wrote "First round draft picks come around every year", my reaction was 'Yeah, but OAKLAND RAIDER top-5 first rounders, DON"T( here in NE) - - and throw in that 2011 will see the first year of rookie draft salary slot caps........

Maybe just maybe Seymour is trying harder in Oakland

Well said. BB has kept a leash on Seymour since the Pats have gone to a base 3-4 in 2003, having him play 2-gap DE. His best performances have been as a DT (think snow game, SB36, SB39 (as a 2-5 DT)) splitting the gaps. Still, he excelled as a 2-gap 3-4 DE, but he sacrificed stats for the good of the team.

I am not shocked at all at his Oakland debut where he basically pinned his ears back and went after the QB. He played RDE and DT and was superb in both. He was doubled much of the night by two linemen and still couldn't be contained. It was an awesome performance and I'm glad I watched it. I hope the best for him in Oakland because he gave us some great memories that all sports fans would love to have.

Regards,
Chris

Great post.
I have never understood the whold "BB kept a leash on him" philosophy. When Jarvis subbed for him, was he asked to do different things? It seems down for down...especially in the Indy playoff game in the snow when Jarvis played for an injured Seymour, we got more production from Green. I don't have the stats to prove that, but that is my gut feeling.
Seymour is a great player and the 2009 Patriots would be much better with him...but I trust we'll draft a solid DL or LB with that #1 pick. Five years later, we may end up trading him for another #1. That's the way we roll...

i don't recall when's the last time I saw Seymour play a better game than what I saw of that game last night. He was on fire. He was the Seymour of old, simply put. Or of young.

I don't necessarily think that he would have been that dominant had he stayed with the Pats, though. Sometimes, that kick in the (_._) wakes you up something fierce.

I wish him the best unless he plays the Pats.

It did for Drew and Lawyer too, for a little while...

#1Seymour will be a Raider "when we want the Raiders to lose". You're incorrect. Seymour has played against us in 9 yrs of practices and camps. Plus, he'd like a little revenge if given the chance-c'mon!

#2The Seymour trade will not land a Top 5. Mere speculation. The Raiders may do well this year. We don't know yet-do we?

#3High impact players aren't always drafted high. That's simple football knowledge. 101.
Look at some of the UFA's and low draft picks that have produced in our system and elsewhere in the league-I think you the foo w/ the "poodle brain".

1.) He said Seymour will NOT be a Raider when we want the Raiders to lose, meaning in 2011.

2.) You said "The Raiders may do well this year"; the draft pick is in 2011, not next year.

3.) His point is everyone is soiling themselves over this pick which could turn out not to be a stud; #1 pick does not always equal a HOF player.

Now what were you saying about poodle brains?

i saw the game (Sd @ Oak) and , yes, Seymour was awesome and i'm happy for him

First round draft picks come every year; Super bowls trophies do not.

I missed the part where Richard Seymour guarantees a superbowl. I'd be surprised if he even changes the chance of winning one by 10%.

Regards,
Chris

Well said ... he could have had more stats playing elesewhere but he did a HOF job at the role Belichick had for him.

Wasn't that Cassel's fault? Or Tedy's or Sanders or Vrabel's or AD's or...EHIII's...:D

LOL, take your pick. I wouldn't say it was Sey's fault either, just that he was this dominant force because he wasn't playing for a good chunk of 2007, when we were 16-0 and he was here for last year and, well, I wouldn't call it a dominant defense when I'm praying every damn down (I wouldn't say 2007 was dominant either, ftr).

Last year we had the old slow guys, and a lot of them aren't here this year. In their place are younger, much less experienced guys. Seymour with the old guys, Seymour with the "not gelled" young guys, I'm not sure there is any difference. Fact is, it worked best when it was Seymour and a gelled, experienced defense. Which wasn't going to be the case this year anyway.

Let's put this the other way. If losing Seymour reduces our chances of the Super Bowl by 10%, then it was one of the worst trades that Belichick has made.

I missed the part where Richard Seymour guarantees a superbowl. I'd be surprised if he even changes the chance of winning one by 10%.

Let's put this the other way. If losing Seymour reduces our chances of the Super Bowl by 10%, then it was one of the worst trades that Belichick has made.

You'll never be able to accurately prove a percentage, so there's no point even trying.

This week will be a test, Seymour was very good against the run and so was Vrabel. If the Jets have a lot of success this week, expect other run first teams to start getting excited (Ravens, Falcons, etc.).

Except for Brady, no one player comes close to being 10% importance for the team winning a Super Bowl.

The guy we lost last night to injury is the closest. Either him or #81. And neither of them do.

Look, it's pretty obvious the angling that is going on here. if the Patriots do what they have done each of the past four years, there are folks here just chomping at the bit to say "It's all because of the Seymour trade".

Last edited:

I suspect the following would be close: Mayo, Moss, Welker and Thomas. However, I suspect you are right that Seymour would not be worth 10% more than what we have.

Except for Brady, no one player comes close to being 10% importance for the eam winning a Super Bowl.

The guy we lost last night to injury is the closest.

I suspect the following would be close: Mayo, Moss, Welker and Thomas. However, I suspect you are right that Seymour would not be worth 10% more than what we have.

i just added an edit to my post.

Everyone is saying that the Seymour trade is just normal business like lots of other players that Belichick has gotten rid of. Is Seymour really over the hill like the others?

Seymour will have an opportunity to show what he is worth. In one game, we have seen him transform a bottom 5 defense into an effective defense against a team that some have projected as the Super Bowl winner. While that is BS, the chargers are certainly a playoff team.

The Seymour trade may be worth it for lots of reasons. However, I don't think that one of those reasons is the projected value of Seymour's play. As I have posted in response to andy several times, I trust that Belichick did indeed have his reasons, and I trust Belichick's assessment about what is best for the team.

However, I do not think Seymour's all-pro days are behind him. More than anyone else who has left the patriots in many years, Seymour still has the skills and desire to be a star in this league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents