PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour is a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see how he does all year before we judge. Seymour played on emotions last night. Let's see if he can continue that intensity all year long.
^^ Another point that shouldn't be overlooked.
I loved Seymour, and agree that it's a loss they take now, for the potential to build a team for the next 5 years. With the defense being the big question mark this season, it was surprising to see him go, but at least they got something in return. Tag-n-trade wasn't an option this year with Big Vince on the docket as well, and looking at how Peppers and even Cassel played out, it seems a 1st rounder is a good value, not to mention it keeps the lines open with a fruitful trading partner in the Raiders.

Re: seymour is a best

1 game into a 16 game regular season. If Seymour puts up a stinker against the Chiefs and Wilfork plays a monster against the Jets, the comments will be reversed next week.. it's the fickle nature of the mob.

The mob mentality indeed. The defense this year is new- new formation and lots of new personnel. Would Seymour have the same success out of this 4-3? Don't know. Wish the Pats had him last year when the defense was struggling. That's right, they did.

Unlike others on the board, I never questioned Seymour's abilities. He was and still is a great defensive lineman, and given his performance for the Pats he deserves the big payday he would not get here. The fact is Seymour is one player and it takes 11 to make a good defense. The mob has been wailing that it is not the 2003/2004 defense, which was a result of (1) key personnel all over the defense and (2) some degree of longevity and chemisry, the latter of which needs development given all the changes.

Will his absence hurt the defense badly this year? Would he have been the same force out of a 4-3 that he is out of the 3-4 given the linebackers currently on the roster? I have no idea at this point, but I am inclined to give Belichick some leeway as time had worn down the defense and major changes were required to fix existing problems.

Seymour is a beast -- when he wants to be.

It's true Seymour is very good, but it doesn't make the trade a poor trade. We got tons of value, more than we should have gotten for a player with only 1 year left on his deal.

Seymour is going to have great stats this year, because he wants to get paid next year, which means putting up tons of tackle and sack numbers, irrespective of playing responsibly or covering his area. It's like Ty Law in KC intercepting a lot of balls because he was gambling a lot, hurting his team but helping himself.

I have no problem with the trade but do have an issue with the replacement plan

Buffola exposed a big hole in our defence

Seal vince and ty and then you can put a rookie 7th rd tackle who has never started a game on green. Then run at him , screen play and inside screen his side.Green had a rough night , The gaurd was not chip blocking and is sealing the LB from getting after the ball carrier.

It is scary what a better LT can do. Brick [LT of jets] is licking his chops watching the game yesterday. Every time against seymour he gets beat up and i am sure he knows he his better than the LT of bills and look from fanea in the backfield on our LB all game.

Oh please, it's one game into the season. The guy's been in every headline for the last week, he's in a contract year and he's NOT going to come up big? Come on. I completely expected a monster game and the subsequent commentary. I bet if we went back several years there'd be similar comments about Lawyer Milloy.

It's ONE GAME. Let the season play out. One of the things about Richard I remember most, fair or not, is the games he wasn't playing in due to injury. You just never know what can happen in a season.

Richard Seymour will never be replaced. He was an anomaly. Intelligent football fans understand this. Richard played great last night and we're left with a BIG hole.

Gotta move on though.

Seymour will not be a Raider when we want the Raiders to Lose!!!

I don't think that he will re-sign with them. Jamarcus Russel is absolutely putrid, and a lock for my "bust of the century" call when he was drafted. He has the football IQ of a Poodle. The Seymour trade will land the Pats a top 5 pick. Let's face it, by then the Pats are gonna need a hig impact player, and it is alot easier to find them in the first few picks of the draft.

Seymour will not be a Raider when we want the Raiders to Lose!!!

I don't think that he will re-sign with them. Jamarcus Russel is absolutely putrid, and a lock for my "bust of the century" call when he was drafted. He has the football IQ of a Poodle. The Seymour trade will land the Pats a top 5 pick. Let's face it, by then the Pats are gonna need a hig impact player, and it is alot easier to find them in the first few picks of the draft.

#1Seymour will be a Raider "when we want the Raiders to lose". You're incorrect. Seymour has played against us in 9 yrs of practices and camps. Plus, he'd like a little revenge if given the chance-c'mon!

#2The Seymour trade will not land a Top 5. Mere speculation. The Raiders may do well this year. We don't know yet-do we?

#3High impact players aren't always drafted high. That's simple football knowledge. 101.
Look at some of the UFA's and low draft picks that have produced in our system and elsewhere in the league-I think you the foo w/ the "poodle brain".

Let's see how he does all year before we judge. Seymour played on emotions last night. Let's see if he can continue that intensity all year long.

This is my feeling. It actually pissed me off that Seymour was playing like a beast.

To say I'm missing Big Sey right now is an understatement. The team has its work cut out for it in replacing him.

Seymour is and has always been a one-man wrecking crew when healthy.

While the trade may be defensible strictly on "value" terms, it was not an appropriate trade for this Patriots team. With a 31-year-old star QB, the Patriots need to be in "win now" mode. They should be trading picks for stars, not vice versa. Imagine if the Red Sox traded Josh Beckett or Kevin Youkilis for some prospects right before the beginning of the season. Fans would freak and rightfully so - the Red Sox should be trying to win the World Series now! The same applies to the Pats. If we go down in the divisional round this year because the defense can't get off the field, nobody on this board will be real happy about the Seymour deal in retrospect. Just my opinion.

How can we get a player like this? Would you sign him to a big contract after his season is up? Even if he's franchised?

Seymour is and has always been a one-man wrecking crew when healthy.

While the trade may be defensible strictly on "value" terms, it was not an appropriate trade for this Patriots team. With a 31-year-old star QB, the Patriots need to be in "win now" mode. They should be trading picks for stars, not vice versa. Imagine if the Red Sox traded Josh Beckett or Kevin Youkilis for some prospects right before the beginning of the season. Fans would freak and rightfully so - the Red Sox should be trying to win the World Series now! The same applies to the Pats. If we go down in the divisional round this year because the defense can't get off the field, nobody on this board will be real happy about the Seymour deal in retrospect. Just my opinion.

Despite the fact that a perfectly healthy Richard Seymour didn't "help them off the field on third down" last year.

If that 1 year of 5 time Pro-Bowl player Seymour got us a SB trophy, I would much rather that, then taking a gamble on some rookies.

Yes...and last I checked, there is no annual guarantee of a Richard Seymour in the draft. Perhaps once every 5-10years you get a player that big, that good, and that durable (whoops, should have left the last part out).

No, but it will significantly help the team from 2011 on. Yes, we have other draft picks, but lets be realistic, we would be looking at the bottom of the first. We now have our own 1st plus what should be a high first pick. Just think of it this way, what would be more important? 1 year of Seymour or 5+ years of a younger version of a "Seymour" with a capped rookie contract?

The caviat is that the first round pick we'll for Seymour will be a great player like Seymour is. It's not a sure thing. The sure thing would have been Seymour this year being a main cog in our defense.

If we end up hitting the jackpot with the Raiders' pick and we win the Super Bowl this year, then that would be the ultimate win. However, if we don't fill the void left by Seymour and that becomes our downfall in another Super Bowl run this year, plus the Raiders' pick in two years ends up as a bust, then the questions will surely follow regarding this trade.

In my opinion, I think we did what was best for the team. However, I trusted that Belichick had someone in line that could relatively do the job. Last night, I didn't see anyone fill that role. It's the first game and we've got a long season, so who knows what our defense will look like in 15 weeks. But last night, our DLs play made us remember what we had in Seymour.

Last edited:
Whatever anyone says, that trade is bad. The defense is worse without him. I am not sure about this philosophy of trading this year your best player because you can't sign him or keep more draft picks for value. This policy hurt us in the draft. Before every one jumps at me, I am not questioning BB or his football genius. But I feel that we missed on some impact players because we have been trading away draft picks for more picks next year rather than moving up to get quality players. We have a very inexperienced and weak secondary and LBs. Our DL was strong but still for the last couple of years, we have been unable to stop other teams scoring at will or unable to stop them on 3rd and long. That was the main reason for our losses in playoffs. Seymour less DL is weaker.

Last edited:

Yup. And let's see if we fail to score more all season when we dominate in every statistical category...

Despite the fact that a perfectly healthy Richard Seymour didn't "help them off the field on third down" last year.

Wasn't that Cassel's fault? Or Tedy's or Sanders or Vrabel's or AD's or...EHIII's...:D

I've heard several people including Lombardi and King opine that consistent performance level was an underlying issue that ultimately drove this decision to look to the future early. They didn't think he was done, just not worth another mega deal or a potential top ten first round pick in a rookie capped environment.

Richard played with tremendous passion and focus last night. That's adreneline and testosterone (effect on a bruised ego) for you. Let's see how he plays as the losses pile up. And against a team beyond week 1 where the vaunted SD Superchargers once again looked flat and totally out of sorts out of the gate.

Seymour would have played the same as last night and even better for us all those years if our defense was a ONE GAP RUN STRAIGHT TO THE QB system.

We had him here for a number of years and as a two gap player he was part of some pretty average defenses lately. I don't remember him taking over any games in several years.

If BB let him rush the passer on every down, which I personally would love, I think Seymour would have three times the sacks he did with NE.

The problem was that in a two gap system, he was no longer the same player, at least from my armchair he seemed to lose the two gap PUSH.

I have always disliked the two gap system but I am a major BB fan and that is just how BB coaches the game. At time it is frustrating. I dislike prevent defenses.

I don't remember us being stellar lately with Seymour in the line up. Maybe the change of pace will revitalize his career but BB found him to be replaceable in NE. Time will tell.

If we end the season feeling like we were one DL away from winning it all than yeah we will all be unhappy.

I like Seymour and I think that it showed he is a committed player to even show up in Oakland and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back