PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seven Linebackers?

I don't see the current number of defensive backs written on stone. What if Ras I and Adrian Wilson had been healthy?

Obviously, any position can have injuries, but i put it to the forum, have we spent more than a few seasons scrambling for anyone on the waiver wire - cutting, trying out and putting up with some awful play?

I think Moore is a decent guy with ball skills who hustles and has played both CB and DB on this team. Even if they cut him, why not have someone out there (shadow roster)who has played on the team in case of injury, which we always seem to have at DB? I believe we carried twice as many reserve DEs last year than this (4 then, Buchanan and Bequette [speaking of dead weight] now.

I'd take a guy as good as you think Moore is. I just don't want Moore because I think he is awful.

I'd take a guy as good as you think Moore is. I just don't want Moore because I think he is awful.

I don't think he's an All Pro, I just think he could know the system and be another depth guy at CB.

in 2011, he played 26.7% of the snaps, about the same as Antwuan Molden. He had two interceptions, one for a TD, played corner and safety and made a huge play stripping the ball that saved our season and other clutch ball skills plays. Obviously, he has flaws which is why he's available,

Is he better than holding auditions any time our most injured position causes problems again, or gawd forbid throwing Justin Green in there? I think so. that's all.

I want 8 defensive backs that we can count on for each game. Most of us were agreed that 11 defensive backs made sense when Dowling was expected to be one of our corners. But, if we have confidence in Justin Green, then I'm Ok with that.

We have 5 corners. How many do you want?

if we have confidence in Justin Green, then I'm Ok with that.

We? I don't know what you saw this preseason, but leave me out of that one please.

:)

We is the "team" as it is always is. If we can't get better than Green, then if there is an injury, we will bring up Green or look for a street free agent.

We? I don't know what you saw this preseason, but leave me out of that one please.

:)

We is the "team" as it is always is. If we can't get better than Green, then if there is an injury, we will bring up Green or look for a street free agent.

Just my opinion, but if you can't get better than Green, you might trying playing 10 guys.

Am I alone on this? I thought he was the single worst player of preseason.

You're not alone. Justin Green sux real bad, and I was bummed that he was signed to the PS.

The quality of our depth at DB, similar to that at DL, is pretty damn scary - and not in a good way.

You're not alone. Justin Green sux real bad, and I was bummed that he was signed to the PS.

The quality of our depth at DB, similar to that at DL, is pretty damn scary - and not in a good way.

Speaking of special teams linebackers, I notice Bequette didn't play any. They should charge him rent for the piece of bench he uses.

Seriously though, I have no problem with marginal DBs who can at least disrupt the offense. Moore has good ball skills, with interceptions and breakups. When you're in nickle or dime, a guy like that can make some big plays.

If they don't like Moore, I hope they look for some dbs with potential for the PS at least. It's torture trying to find and train these guys when we wait until we need them, as has happened many times.

So, perhaps Bequette will be inactive for yet another year.

Speaking of special teams linebackers, I notice Bequette didn't play any. They should charge him rent for the piece of bench he uses.

Seriously though, I have no problem with marginal DBs who can at least disrupt the offense. Moore has good ball skills, with interceptions and breakups. When you're in nickle or dime, a guy like that can make some big plays.

If they don't like Moore, I hope they look for some dbs with potential for the PS at least. It's torture trying to find and train these guys when we wait until we need them, as has happened many times.

At least Marcus Benard participated on special teams.

Yup.

This it a bit frustrating at DE.

Folks have sort of got me to accept our DT situation, with Vellano and AJ Francis both looking good in the preseason. Besides, we still have Forston on the PS, and Armstead on the NFI. Finally, Belichick is trying out NT's to see if he can find an upgrade. This isn't a terrible situation at DT, especially given that we upgraded Love with Kelly. These backups might very well be at least as good as Brace/Deaderick/Forston from last year. Certainly, we are better overall at DT.

At DE, I just don't get it at all. Buchanan seems to be a good, developmental #5 DE who could turn out to be great, OK or not. He is worth a shot. So, Buchanan replaces Francis as this year's developmental UDFA, perhaps a minor upgrade. None of us were sure of Buchanan; some of us even had him on the PS.

We are left with Bequette as the roster replacement for Cunningham and Scott. I'm certainly missing something. Is it too crazy to think that we should have kept Benard or Francis, if we can't find anyone better?

If that is the case, can you say "bust"?

We are left with Bequette as the roster replacement for Cunningham and Scott. I'm certainly missing something. Is it too crazy to think that we should have kept Benard or Francis, if we can't find anyone better?
Sign Benard, send Bequette to the practice squad, dump one offensive tackle from the practice squad.

:) so say you and me. However, clearly Belichick sees something in Bequette, so my proposal is to simply add Benard as the 5th DE, a reasonable number.

And yes, the second OT is not the best use of a PS spot. Obviously RB, DE, KR and OC would all be better uses of a spot.

Sign Benard, send Bequette to the practice squad, dump one offensive tackle from the practice squad.

I want 8 defensive backs that we can count on for each game. Most of us were agreed that 11 defensive backs made sense when Dowling was expected to be one of our corners. But, if we have confidence in Justin Green, then I'm Ok with that.

We have 11 DBs on the roster

One of us can't count. Who have I forgotten? Dowling was cut and A Wilson is on IR.

CB: Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Cole
S : McCourty, Gregory, Wilson, Harmon, Ebner

We have 11 DBs on the roster

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference