PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Seattle and NE Sports Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
same fans who didn't care about their supersonics? same fans who absolutely don't give a crap about mariners?

seattle is not a good sports town. they were in a happy mood because they just won the SB!! they are a classic fair weather fans. and they don't live and die seahawks. they are loud because that's how stadium is built. it's a great experience, but they don't live seahawks 24/7.

a great sports cities are chicago, detroit, and boston.

You've got no idea what you're talking about.

Supersonics were an incredible franchise who played in the smallest arena in the NBA for years to sold out crowds. Their move from Seattle had NOTHING to do with attendance and everything to do with a collapse in available public funding for a new arenaduring a time (2007-08) when the markets were about to fall off the cliff. And the NBA basically did nothing to help build an arena, but rather use Seattle as a "leverage" city for the NBA.

Oh Seattle also sells out Sounders games every single game. A stupid MLS game draws crowds of 35,000 every game, more than some English Premier teams.

Mariners were top 10 in attendance for a good 8-10 years even into 2005, despite not making the playoffs since 2002.

They've also fielded for years one of the 3 worst teams in the league, with two years fielding the WORST offense in the entire HISTORY of MLB. Decades and decades of baseball and they fielded two of the worst offensive teams ever in baseball history. And their attendance still was averaging around 20,000/game.

I worked with a man years ago who used to put it this way: When you walk down the street around Boston and smile at strangers, they think there's something wrong with you.

One of my sons has been all over the world and in all but a handful of American States. I asked him where the people are the friendliest. He said the answer was easy. Ireland and Italy.

As for the folks in this country, he thinks that the people in Indy are weird. He had a lot of stories from his two years there to back that up.

Dude, I've traveled all around the world, and no city anywhere have I come across people who smile at strangers. Perhaps this is something done in small towns in Nebraska, but this isn't something unique to Boston.

Truth be told most places in the world are full of people who are ice cold to one another. Ever been to Moscow? You have to be careful about just looking at some if you want to avoid a confrontation.

The only places you find people who are friendly to strangers are those with time on their hands to waste, which is pretty much doesn't apply to people living in cities.

they had to leave early to meet their heroin dealers before 5 pm "shoot it up the arm time"...reminds me, whaddya call 6 Blue Cobains in a circle? .......A dead dope ring

Seattle sports culture
p1030155_2.jpg

NE sports culture

red-sox-mider043012.jpg

Here's the difference ....

Seattle/Pacific NW is a more Starbucks, let's chill go on our labtop/tablet, read a book and drink our coffee....

While Boston/NE is more a Dunkin, let's wait in the drive thru line for 10 mins to get our coffee so we can be in and out..

That's the difference...

Look at this way...New England culture is about 250 years older than Seattle's. Having been born from the old Puritan, fatalistic sense of existence coupled with learning out to eek out a living in the demanding climate and environment, the people who settled the Pacific Northwest are mainly transplants from the northeast. Hence the naming of Portland, Oregon. It was a vote between Boston or Portland. They're just playing "catch-up" in every aspect. They'll be just as bitter and quick to "eat their young" as well when the Seahawks inevitably let them down.....sooner or later.
***Hopefully....sooner:D***

Was that "eat their young" a Donner Party homage of some sort? :)

Sirrously folks... I think there's a laid-backness to W Coast culture that might make for fandom without fanaticism.

Now ask what the PSI of every football was whenever the 'Hawks win a game, and see how mellow they are after a while...

Seattle is like any other city. Good parts, bad parts. I lived there for years. As far as their fan base goes, there's myth about how "loyal" they are. When the Hawks were bad, they suffered the same lack of interest as most fan bases. Like any fan base, the band wagon fills up when the team is good. I lived there before their recent success and you couldn't find a person who wore a Seahawks jersey and I could walk up to the gate and buy a ticket to any game I wanted.

So, what's up? Looking forward to playing the hawks in two weeks?

Looking forward to it :)

Tell your buddies if they get SB tickets to stay for the whole game, you never know :)

As to "Tom meets Kaepernick," good to have you with us this year.

Was that "eat their young" a Donner Party homage of some sort? :)

Sirrously folks... I think there's a laid-backness to W Coast culture that might make for fandom without fanaticism.

Now ask what the PSI of every football was whenever the 'Hawks win a game, and see how mellow they are after a while...
No I didn't, but it fits.

I have been to Seattle many times. There seems to be two types of fans there: 1) The average fan which is far nicer than the average pats fan, but they seem to have no core. 2) The wannabe whoopie clones with the hardcore roid rage attitude that think their team is the second coming of christ, but they would forget the team entirely after a bad season.

I've always thought the hardcore fans reflect the attitude of the team leaders.

Just glad they're past this phase...

brian-bosworth-50682621.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back