PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter Report: Falcons Plan to Hire Raheem Morris as Head Coach for 2024 season

Bill didn't choose Tom over Drew. He chose Drew but Drew got hurt.
March 7, 2001
Bledsoe signs 10 yr $103 million contract extension with New England

Coach Bill Belichick was noncommittal when asked what he would do with the (cap) savings. But he said it was beneficial to know that he won't have to worry about a quarterback for a long time.

He did choose Tom over Drew... eventually. Named him SB starter. It was more of a no brainer than a stroke of genius or anything like that.

Mac Jones ... did himself no favors ... do not hold him blameless in his short comings.
If he hated Mac so much, why didn't he bring in another quarterback? Brissett was out there, Baker was out there. Keenum was out there.

It's a league wide thing. Carroll is even older than Belichick. But they are all going to extremely young coaches.

The problem is typically you have guys who try to reinvent the wheel, without even being able to capitalize on the wealth of knowledge the old guys are taking with them. A proper transition would be from an older HC to an HC in mid-career. Not a kid in his 30s. The idea that Bobby "Hill" Slowik was a candidate for anyone's position is patently absurd. The Canales guy that Carolina hired is ridiculous. Mike McDaniel better have an ACT2, because his timing offense has been disrupted.

I give guys like Baltimore's Harbaugh a lot of credit, because they are about to feast on a decade's worth of bad coaching.
Bobby "Hill" Slowik :rofl:

If he hated Mac so much, why didn't he bring in another quarterback? Brissett was out there, Baker was out there. Keenum was out there.
I don't know. Maybe he figured Mac would rebound to his first half of the season 2021 from with a real OC vs the Frankenstein monsters offense in 2022?

Instead Mac imploded like a lightbulb on the Titanic, and got much worse... Didn't take to the "hard coaching" he wanted, I guess

March 7, 2001
Bledsoe signs 10 yr $103 million contract extension with New England

Coach Bill Belichick was noncommittal when asked what he would do with the (cap) savings. But he said it was beneficial to know that he won't have to worry about a quarterback for a long time.
Yeah people are trying to be revisionist on the whole Brady/Bledsoe thing. In 2001, Bledsoe was pretty much solidified as the starter and would have been the starter so long as he didn't get injured. The injury opened up Brady's opportunity. If not, Bledsoe is the QB all of 01, and we don't win that Super Bowl. Also as much as people want to pretend if he even did move on from Bledsoe in 2002 that it would be Brady's job.......... there probably would have been a big push to draft someone

What Bill put on tape these last two seasons is why he hasn’t been hired IMO. What a dumpster fire, and he ruined a young quarterback in Mac Jones.
It certainly didn't help. I mean, his record against the NFC is 5-13 since 2020. Hardly something to brag about trying to go into the NFC.

The level of delusion among Team Bill is hilarious. They completely ignore the reality of the last 4 seasons, his age, all the stories about dysfunction at Foxboro and pretend this is still the Bill of the dynasty w/ Tom Brady.

Lucky for Bill that happened since he was on his way out.

Sigh. I'll say this again, they spent 16 picks on the offense side to 11 picks on the defensive side in the last 3 drafts. Draft value was equal.

They spent a lot on offensive side FAs (no, Im not talking JAGs, but the big contracts). To say they didn't care goes against the record.

The team was a total rebuild.

2021 the defense had 6 old (30+ yrs old) starters on it and they didn't give up a punt to the Bills in the playoffs. They HAD to revamp the defense as well as the offense.

AND we had Mac Jones. A guy who went on a blithering cryfest after spraining his ankle.
Poor Team Bill, they'll spend the rest of their lives trying to make excuses for the **** record at the end of Bill's career after Brady left.

Tampa Bay had >2x the dead money to overcome after Brady retired than the Patriots had in 2020. Yet, TB was able to make it to the DIV Rd the year after Brady retired w/ Baker Mayfield. Four years later, the Patriots have the worse record since 1992. His own players were saying "we ass."

Of course, it's either Mac's fault, or Kraft's fault, never Bill's fault. Well, the reality is that he got fired for it and was unable to land a HC job because of it.

This is the way the league views Bill Belichick after hiring Patricia/Judge to be OC/QB coaches for him.

bill-belichick.gif

In my mind the ideal scenario is Vrabel not getting a job and comes back to the Pats for his gap year and is the DC/assistant HC and mentors Mayo. In my mind a McDaniel/Vrabel combo as your coordinators would give you a MONSTER head start on this year. That combo would allow Mayo do what he does best, which is LEAD the operation
I'm not sure that adding Vrabel to the mix, especially as DC will help Mayo have a better Defense.

I expect that those who want this scenario wanted Vrabel as coach. In the end, there would be friction. Vrabel is better off sitting out a year, or possibly being an Advisor to a team that doesn't already have a GREAT defense. We need to concentrate on keeping Steve and Covington. I'm not sure that they would think that bringing in Vrabel was good for their careers. Covington's agent would certainly start to make calls, perhaps Steve's also.

We have an opportunity to move forward on Offense while solidifying the defensive leadership by getting promotions for both steve and Covington. Let's do it.
===========
As an aside, what kind confidence boost would it be for the owner to want to bring in Vrabel?

Drew got hurt and then as he got healthy Bill had a choice to make between the 2. He chose Tom. And then again after the AFC Championship game he had a choice between an injured Tom Brady and a healthy Drew. He again chose Tom.

Poor Team Bill, they'll spend the rest of their lives trying to make excuses for the **** record at the end of Bill's career after Brady left.

Tampa Bay had >2x the dead money to overcome after Brady retired than the Patriots had in 2020. Yet, TB was able to make it to the DIV Rd the year after Brady retired w/ Baker Mayfield. Four years later, the Patriots have the worse record since 1992. His own players were saying "we ass."

Of course, it's either Mac's fault, or Kraft's fault, never Bill's fault. Well, the reality is that he got fired for it and was unable to land a HC job because of it.

This is the way the league views Bill Belichick after hiring Patricia/Judge to be OC/QB coaches for him.

View attachment 56203
BOTTOM LINE
Belichick looked for a situation where he could rebuild a team over the next 3-4 years, with him having total control. He gave his evidence on how well he rebuilt the patriots over the last 4 years.

Surely, one owner would buy this logic. NOT!

Count me among those who think that Belichick and Brady made each other better. Brady moved into a "ready to win now" situation. Belichick's situation with Mac was far from ideal and he exacerbated that by making some bad decisions (Patricia among them). But he's still the GOAT of NFL HC's.

The same people who insisted they draft Mac, who prevented Belichick from trading Mac, did not want him undercutting Mac.

It's all part of the same thing.

Mac should've been sacked after the 2nd game. If you switch to Mayfield then, the Krafts would've been furious. This should be self-obvious.

I mean, watch, the Patriots are going to bring back Mac as the starter early in the season even if they draft a QB high.

The same people who insisted they draft Mac, who prevented Belichick from trading Mac, did not want him undercutting Mac.

It's all part of the same thing.

Mac should've been sacked after the 2nd game. If you switch to Mayfield then, the Krafts would've been furious. This should be self-obvious.

I mean, watch, the Patriots are going to bring back Mac as the starter early in the season even if they draft a QB high.
you def could have benched him for mayfield after the saints game, cmon.

Bobby "Hill" Slowik :rofl:
attachment-MV5BMTA2OTUwNDEwNTBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDk0MTg4NDIx._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Lucky for Bill that happened since he was on his way out.
Making things up again I see. Bill was not on his way out he was in his second season and his Franchise QB suffered a pretty significant injury. This was also a time when teams gave more than a 2 or 3 year window before firing people.

He did choose Tom over Drew... eventually. Named him SB starter. It was more of a no brainer than a stroke of genius or anything like that.
Tom saved Bill's ass. He would've been fired ala Pete Carroll.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Well the GM is now in full control. In the press conference Ran Carthon the GM/VP announced he will now oversee all areas that impact the football team such as roster control, team activities and personnel decisions including draft and free agency acquisitions, Tennessee's coaching staff will report to Carthon. He will also have oversight of scouting, sports medicine and player engagement. Vrabel is probably thrilled not to be there now, if he isn’t he should be.
if coaching isn't enough, then he shouldn't be trying to get a job as a head coach.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back