PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB51 Review: Did Malcolm Butler play himself out of a big contract with NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler is awesome and we want him. He played well against the best offense this season, one of the best offenses historically, in the league's history. Will we be able to agree on terms? Hope so.

And obviously anyone worried about his clutch-ness. Really? Really?!!
2bb88a5737fa0796d0871a8d6f7defae.gif

That is why Gillmore has 40 mil guaranted, because he is better than Butler and if they get first round pick for Butler in this strong cornerback class. Masterpiece from BB&co.
And probably they added Cooks for same reason. None of our WR couldnt get open in first half and Texans and Atlanta pressured Brady, so with Cooks, team cannot play so close to LOS because they have to respect Cooks. Another masterpiece from BB&co.

I couldn't agree with you more on our receivers in the first half.

Our receivers are smart & clutch & they are great at getting open in zone coverage. Unfortunately they do struggle to get open on man coverage & it was not until Atlanta's DB's got tired that we got seperation.
'
Adding Cooks to the mix will cause opponents who do not have a shutdown corner to double Cooks & help open up Gronk & our other receivers.

Evidently his agent, Derek Simpson, is a Huntsville, AL lawyer who got certified as a NFL player agent as kind of a hobby. His first client to make a NFL team: Malcolm Butler. Huntsville attorney enjoys Super thrill through his Patriots' client, rookie hero Malcolm Butler

Evidently Simpson took on Butler as a client when Butler was a nobody from West Alabama, and Butler has stuck with him. I guess that speaks highly of his loyalty.

However, Simpson seems over his head, at least in his "hobby" role as Butler's agent (in contrast, based on his law firm website, he seems to be a perfectly fine lawyer). IMHO Butler needs a real professional agent instead of someone that has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :D

Malcolm needs people he trusts to coach him on the world of business and how to be shrewd.

The first thing he should do is fire this hack and get someone that knows the NFL, knows the Patriots and can negotiate win/win deals .

You haven't included the relevant frames. See the frames I included, in particular frame 3.

It's really tough to say one way or another. There may have been contact but I don't think Butler's foot was stepped on. On top of that if you watch Butler's body he seems to be biting on the faked outside route.

In this frame Butler's foot is already coming back up before Gabriel's foot has contacted the field.
upload_2017-3-12_12-58-25.png

There might be contact here.
upload_2017-3-12_12-57-30.png

This shot shows Butler's foot is free from Gabriel's. Gabriel's foot is still planted.
upload_2017-3-12_12-52-22.png

In this shot which is before any possible contact, Butler is already changing direction. Toward the sideline.

upload_2017-3-12_12-48-42.png

God forbid a guy gets beat on a great route. Sometimes the other guys make plays too. There is a reason this was a historic offense. I'll take 2 years of great over a few plays.

Why does that Gabriel play even matter so much? I don't recall him having any other team impact on the game... the one we actually won.

"Because we won" though is not a good approach to defending a Super Bowl. That is why many SB winners don't even make the playoffs next year. They are so drunk off of winning the trophy they don't realize that in the modern NFL, all teams have weaknesses, and the next season they will have the same players and a sense of complacency - and usually lacking the good fortune that comes along with most SBs. Patriots are trying to build their best possible team, regardless of the results of 2016.

"Because we won" though is not a good approach to defending a Super Bowl. That is why many SB winners don't even make the playoffs next year. They are so drunk off of winning the trophy they don't realize that in the modern NFL, all teams have weaknesses, and the next season they will have the same players and a sense of complacency - and usually lacking the good fortune that comes along with most SBs. Patriots are trying to build their best possible team, regardless of the results of 2016.
So you put in quotation marks something I didn't say the way you quoted it? And ignore the rest of the post to boot? The premise of the post was not that we won the game. That part was like icing. The premise of the quote is Gabriel did very little of actual consequence all game. In fact, his only other "big" play besides the one being discussed in this thread was an 18-yarder in zone coverage. So pointing to one play in man, albeit he really did beat Butler, and painting the picture that Butler had a bad game is irresponsible... and we won. :D

This post is long, but it has a lot of meat.

I am reminded of SB42, when the Patriots had franchised Asante Samuel and were considering a huge, long-term deal for him. After the game, Jonathan Kraft had some very negative comments about Samuel's performance down the stretch. I think we know the plays he was referring to, so no need to rub salt. The point was, I was surprised that the Patriots management does place a higher value on "big game" performances and does not really see it as more of a random variance as many statisticians do. Before the game, Samuel was a priority. After the game, the Patriots were absolutely through with him.

I've probably watched SB51 game 20 times now, mostly the second half but the first half a few times as well. One thing that stood out to me was that Butler really played a crappy game. He got burned on an ankle breaking deep pass (he actually fell down! on a pretty basic route) in the third quarter and followed that up with a terrible PI penalty on third down that same series, resulting in a Falcons TD to go up 28-3. On that play, it was a huge bail-out penalty, as Matt Ryan was heavily pressured, and Butler committed the PI despite the receiver being short of the first down. Honestly, I can't remember if it was Benjamin or Sanu on these plays, but I believe both of them pretty much burned him multiple times. The gameplan was to take Julio Jones out of the game with Ryan and McCourty; Jones finished 4/4 for 87 yards, but every catch was despite great coverage. In using that strategy, the Patriots counted on Butler to shutdown the Falcons other wideouts, and you'd think an all-pro corner would have at least put up a tough battle. Combined, Sanu and Gabriel were 5/7 for 101 yards. He just looked totally overmatched.

Butler was also bailed out on the turning play of the SB. Several articles have broken down the play, and it amounts to this: Falcons WR Aldrick Robinson (who???) had badly beaten Butler up the seam and was open for what could have been the game clinching 70-yard TD...if not for the missed block by Freeman and the split second difference in Hightower's rush, things would have turned out very different, with Butler being the game's clear and undeniable goat. Let's remember that Ryan flirted with a perfect QB rating, and that nearly all of the key plays in by the defense were from the front 7 with opportune sacks at critical junctures, hardly coverage sacks either.

It has been brought up before that the Patriots played a historically weak schedule of passing offenses in 2016. There were not a lot of high scoring teams with multiple receiving threats and a strong quarterback, with Atlanta being far and away the best offense. I am also reminded that the Patriots have had a tremendous, deep secondary with excellent safeties, so it is hard to evaluate any player, from a fan's perspective, without fully understanding the schemes and assignments. Another way of looking at it is this: Butler plays in arguably the league's best defensive scheme (NE or Seattle) with year in, year out consistency in their concepts. Gilmore has had four different coordinators in five years and plays with crappy support, terrible safeties, and an overall mess with Rex Ryan and the turnstile of coaches. Despite that, though Butler has been very good and has outperformed Gilmore in the eyes of many, the gap hasn't been that great. If you flipped the two, maybe the Patriots think these players would have very different production and accolades.

This thread isn't to bash Butler, who in my book is an awesome Patriot, total overachiever, a guy who plays the game with tremendous effort and has improved by miles. He is a great cornerback, and I have assumed since 2015 that he would be locked up long-term as a no-brainer. I love Butler, and if he gets sent packing, it would be a huge sentimental blow to all of us who fell in love with his underdog story and his all-time legendary play in SB49. It would suck as a fan to not see him as a long-term Patriot, but how many times have we heard this story before, only to bow down to Belichick when we realize that winning is infinitely better than sentimental loyalty for a certain name and number.

I am just wondering if the Patriots didn't rate Butler as high as we thought they did, partly due to his lackluster Super Bowl when he was tasked with shutting down very good (but not elite) receivers one-on-one...and further, I wonder if his play in the 2016 season dropped off on film, again considering the overall poor passing offenses we faced. Maybe I'm wrong and Butler will back on a big contract as well...I just think the most likely answer here, considering the trade speculation and the Gilmore contract, is that they don't plan to invest two huge contracts for a CB1 and a CB2 and they've made their choice.

I'm not sure the Patriots do place a higher value on big game performances. I think with Asante, it felt like the final straw, but it had been building for a while. No different than Collins, who was sent packing after the Buffalo game.

But Vereen wasn't given a big deal after his great Super Bowl performance. Neither was Twiggy. And while Butler had a rough Super Bowl, we don't know the game plan either, but it sure seemed like he was alone on an island for most of the game while they focused on Julio. That affects your techniques considerably. Meanwhile, Butler had THE play of Super Bowl 49. So how do you balance that?

I think that's a big assumption to make. And I haven't seen anything anywhere specifically pointing out they prioritize those playoff performances.

I don't think we can get to a positive answer this way. You are right, center frame Butler is bringing up (and back) his foot, before "contact." I've watched this a few more times now. You just can't prove from a head-on view this theory that he stepped on his foot. The bottom of the three shots above could be stepping on, or in front of, his foot.

Final point, stepping "on" his foot would preclude Gabriel's plant-foot digging into turf, so I assume you're postulating contact to the side of Butler's foot?

Just curious about exactly what your theory is. Check the mechanics of those three shots in the context of the video clip - like I said, the general flow of the play has Butler springing backward, and your second pic has him beginning that motion before what you're saying is "contact."

So in this one play, at least, Butler is torched by the time of what you think is contact.

Nothing against you, I think what you're seeing is akin to this:

Feet are close to each other. One guy springs back. We spring back when hurt. Therefore, one guy stepped on the other guy.

On the other hand, Butler seems to be guessing left (from our perspective) based on the head fake. He might be springing back to avoid contact. For whatever reason, in your second picture above, his foot is already coming up in his "spring-back" maneuver. So you're postulating that, having begun this spring-back (frame 2) it goes south in frame 3 because he is tripped up by contact.

That still puts Butler way out of position (which to your credit you do acknowledge)... all we're quibbling about is whether you can establish contact resulting in Butler looking sillier because he falls down while allowing the catch.

It's indeed a close call, but that lead foot looks much more likely to be simply coming down on turf to me. It would be another matter if it never dug into the turf or was significantly deflected. I didn't see that happening.

All that said: that play just proves that sometimes the other guy beats you. That's not his whole body of work, and nobody with half a brain (the Foxboro brain trust qualifies) is going to knock down an offer by 20% or something based on that one play.

Sweet! Brain games!

He didn't step on his foot. He may have contacted Butler's left foot during the cut but if he did it was slight. I can't tell with 100% certainty if Butler lost balance, if he was tripped up (if he was it was slight) or a combination of both.

Beginning of the route.
View attachment 16542

Beginning of Gabriel's juke towards the outside.
View attachment 16544

Butler stops his route and begins to shift his coverage to the outside.
View attachment 16545

Gabriel cuts hard back to the inside which caught Butler off balance.
View attachment 16546
Finally! I knew he never got stepped on. Thanks for finding great pics, Tony.

It wasn't about the Super Bowl...butler is not a shut down corner, so he's not going To get shut down money

You'll see these types of couple of plays in any one of butlers games

I do think BB is more inclined to keep players that step up in big games than those who don't.

I don't think the contractual situation with Butler is because he had an average SB.

The team and Malcolm got to this point because....
  • His agent is overmatched
  • He is not a top 5 CB
  • He is a RFA

Possible example: Wes Welker in the 2011 season Super Bowl

Agree with how they may have gotten to this point, especially agent not groking RFA status $ vs UFA status $

BB loves Butler as a player, loves his competitiveness. What he does not love and has no patience for is being unreasonable in contract negotiations. I really do not think BB was enamored with paying Gilmore $13 mil, but he was not going to be screwed with by Butler's agent. Butler's performance was not what had him being dangled for a trade, it was Butler's agent. I do not think Butler was looking to leave, now may have no choice. On the field Butler has done everything we could ask of him and more.
Exactly. And even if Butler had a bad SB, which I'll say again he didn't, his evaluation would have been based on his time here in total, not one game.

Finally! I knew he never got stepped on. Thanks for finding great pics, Tony.

You know what PB. It is close. Closer than I had originally thought.

Possible example: Wes Welker in the 2011 season Super Bowl

Agree with how they may have gotten to this point, especially agent not groking RFA status $ vs UFA status $
Yea I think BB wanted WW but because of his age wasn't willing to go to the next level to try and keep him.

Not sure if the drop hurt WW in contract dealings. No evidence to support it but I have suspicions.

With that said I think DAs clutchness only helps him in trying to keep his job w NE and BB

I am a long time fan and rarely post, but these are my thoughts (as a lay person).

First of all, I view Gilmore as the 'replacement/upgrade' for Ryan and for the most part should not directly impact Butler.

Secondly, it is quite possible that Butler's agent is acting on Butler's request as perhaps Butler is betting on himself. He also did play with Revis, and it is possible that he is taking a Revis attitude to contract negotiations. He does not want to leave 1 cent on the table, and thus either pay him big time to lock him up while he is a RFA, or deal with the possibility of him leaving when he is a UFA as someone might overpay him.

To me the real issue will be which teams will have the cap space next year to potentially jump on Butler and overpay in 2018. Maybe his agent knows this list of teams and he and Butler are banking on an overpay.

Lastly, the real question is does BB believe that Butler is a #1 CB? The defensive scheme adjusts week to week based on optimal matchups. And Butler is not always going 1:1 with the opposite #1 WR. In actual fact, Ryan frequently did, with safety over the top.

Thus, with Gilmore likely going 1:1 with the opposite #1 WR next year, Butler will have less leverage. I suspect he gets a deal better than Ryan did, but less than Gilmore and probably the Patriots offered him that.

With the risk of injury, I think Butler is a fool not to get locked up long term, but I suppose we all have ego's.........

Yea I think BB wanted WW but because of his age wasn't willing to go to the next level to try and keep him.

Not sure if the drop hurt WW in contract dealings. No evidence to support it but I have suspicions.

With that said I think DAs clutchness only helps him in trying to keep his job w NE and BB

I suspect BB got tired of calls & texts from Gisele saying, "My husband cannot throw ze ball and catch eet at the same time!"

He excluded the relevant frames. See @neuronet's post and judge for yourself.
Yeah, I think that's fair. But I think Neuronet's post doesn't show the depth of the photo though. I'm a photographer and depth in a photo is real. We would need a different angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back