PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB51 Review: Did Malcolm Butler play himself out of a big contract with NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This post is long, but it has a lot of meat.

I am reminded of SB42, when the Patriots had franchised Asante Samuel and were considering a huge, long-term deal for him. After the game, Jonathan Kraft had some very negative comments about Samuel's performance down the stretch. I think we know the plays he was referring to, so no need to rub salt. The point was, I was surprised that the Patriots management does place a higher value on "big game" performances and does not really see it as more of a random variance as many statisticians do. Before the game, Samuel was a priority. After the game, the Patriots were absolutely through with him.

I've probably watched SB51 game 20 times now, mostly the second half but the first half a few times as well. One thing that stood out to me was that Butler really played a crappy game. He got burned on an ankle breaking deep pass (he actually fell down! on a pretty basic route) in the third quarter and followed that up with a terrible PI penalty on third down that same series, resulting in a Falcons TD to go up 28-3. On that play, it was a huge bail-out penalty, as Matt Ryan was heavily pressured, and Butler committed the PI despite the receiver being short of the first down. Honestly, I can't remember if it was Benjamin or Sanu on these plays, but I believe both of them pretty much burned him multiple times. The gameplan was to take Julio Jones out of the game with Ryan and McCourty; Jones finished 4/4 for 87 yards, but every catch was despite great coverage. In using that strategy, the Patriots counted on Butler to shutdown the Falcons other wideouts, and you'd think an all-pro corner would have at least put up a tough battle. Combined, Sanu and Gabriel were 5/7 for 101 yards. He just looked totally overmatched.

Butler was also bailed out on the turning play of the SB. Several articles have broken down the play, and it amounts to this: Falcons WR Aldrick Robinson (who???) had badly beaten Butler up the seam and was open for what could have been the game clinching 70-yard TD...if not for the missed block by Freeman and the split second difference in Hightower's rush, things would have turned out very different, with Butler being the game's clear and undeniable goat. Let's remember that Ryan flirted with a perfect QB rating, and that nearly all of the key plays in by the defense were from the front 7 with opportune sacks at critical junctures, hardly coverage sacks either.

It has been brought up before that the Patriots played a historically weak schedule of passing offenses in 2016. There were not a lot of high scoring teams with multiple receiving threats and a strong quarterback, with Atlanta being far and away the best offense. I am also reminded that the Patriots have had a tremendous, deep secondary with excellent safeties, so it is hard to evaluate any player, from a fan's perspective, without fully understanding the schemes and assignments. Another way of looking at it is this: Butler plays in arguably the league's best defensive scheme (NE or Seattle) with year in, year out consistency in their concepts. Gilmore has had four different coordinators in five years and plays with crappy support, terrible safeties, and an overall mess with Rex Ryan and the turnstile of coaches. Despite that, though Butler has been very good and has outperformed Gilmore in the eyes of many, the gap hasn't been that great. If you flipped the two, maybe the Patriots think these players would have very different production and accolades.

This thread isn't to bash Butler, who in my book is an awesome Patriot, total overachiever, a guy who plays the game with tremendous effort and has improved by miles. He is a great cornerback, and I have assumed since 2015 that he would be locked up long-term as a no-brainer. I love Butler, and if he gets sent packing, it would be a huge sentimental blow to all of us who fell in love with his underdog story and his all-time legendary play in SB49. It would suck as a fan to not see him as a long-term Patriot, but how many times have we heard this story before, only to bow down to Belichick when we realize that winning is infinitely better than sentimental loyalty for a certain name and number.

I am just wondering if the Patriots didn't rate Butler as high as we thought they did, partly due to his lackluster Super Bowl when he was tasked with shutting down very good (but not elite) receivers one-on-one...and further, I wonder if his play in the 2016 season dropped off on film, again considering the overall poor passing offenses we faced. Maybe I'm wrong and Butler will be back on a big contract as well...I just think the most likely answer here, considering the trade speculation and the Gilmore contract, is that they don't plan to invest two huge contracts for a CB1 and a CB2 and they've made their choice.

Last edited:
That is why Gillmore has 40 mil guaranted, because he is better than Butler and if they get first round pick for Butler in this strong cornerback class. Masterpiece from BB&co.
And probably they added Cooks for same reason. None of our WR couldnt get open in first half and Texans and Atlanta pressured Brady, so with Cooks, team cannot play so close to LOS because they have to respect Cooks. Another masterpiece from BB&co.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should consider giving up Butler for a 1st round pick and grab a top corner, there's are plenty of them in this draft, big, fast, and athletic, and full of swag.

I saw the combine and there are very good corners to be had in the 1st, 2nd and even 3rd round!

Cooks is faster than Amendola, he will be excellent in the slot, which would improve Brady's release time even more to protect him.

The guy had an All-Pro season but two bad plays that resulted in exactly one TD should take him out of a big contract?

I guess his play in fourth of SB49 should have secured him a$50 million contract then.

It's funny how everyone loved Butler (and this is not a slight on you OP) but since he didn't sign an extension and we bought another expensive CB, a lot of people are now saying he was always overrated, and we should have traded him for a pick anyway.

Unbelievable. :(

The more I think about it, the more I think we should consider giving up Butler for a 1st round pick and grab a top corner, there's are plenty of them in this draft, big, fast, and athletic, and full of swag.

I saw the combine and there are very good corners to be had in the 1st, 2nd and even 3rd round!

Cooks is faster than Amendola, he will be excellent in the slot, which would improve Brady's release time even more to protect him.

I also see Cooks as an insurance policy to Gronkowski moreso than a guy like Bennett or Allen. Here me out, I realize Cooks is 5'10" and couldn't be any different physically from Gronkowski, but last season the Patriots offense with Gronkowski was virtually unstoppable because he kept running deep seem routes up the middle that completely screwed defenses. I believe Gronk averaged 17 ypc, which is other worldly. When Gronkowski was healthy, this offense was getting tons of chunk plays and Brady was averaging some absurd yards per attempt. There was so much more separation with guys being completely uncovered, with shades of 2007 and Moss's impact. Cooks has the ability to be that kind of threat, stretching the field and making it risky for defenses to play without a deep safety over the top.

Last edited:
Gabriel stepped on Butler's foot. It wasn't a matter of Gabriel juking him so badly that he fell.
No he didn't. Butler just got juked out. He was losing his balance because of the head fake by Gabriel.

Falcons WR Aldrick Robinson (who???) had badly beaten Butler up the seam and was open for what could have been the game clinching 70-yard TD...if not for the missed block by Freeman and the split second difference in Hightower's rush, things would have turned out very different, with Butler being the game's clear and undeniable goat.
Chris Long was closing in as well. I don't think Ryan could have gotten off an accurate pass.

This post is long, but it has a lot of meat.

I am reminded of SB42, when the Patriots had franchised Asante Samuel and were considering a huge, long-term deal for him. After the game, Jonathan Kraft had some very negative comments about Samuel's performance down the stretch. I think we know the plays he was referring to, so no need to rub salt. The point was, I was surprised that the Patriots management does place a higher value on "big game" performances and does not really see it as more of a random variance as many statisticians do. Before the game, Samuel was a priority. After the game, the Patriots were absolutely through with him.

I've probably watched SB51 game 20 times. . . Combined, Sanu and Gabriel were 5/7 for 101 yards. He just looked totally overmatched.

Butler was also bailed out on the turning play of the SB. . . ...if not for the missed block by Freeman and the split second difference in Hightower's rush, things would have turned out very different, with Butler being the game's clear and undeniable goat. . . . nearly all of the key plays in by the defense were from the front 7 with opportune sacks at critical junctures, hardly coverage sacks either.

It has been brought up before that the Patriots played a historically weak schedule of passing offenses in 2016. . . . I am also reminded that the Patriots have had a tremendous, deep secondary with excellent safeties, so it is hard to evaluate any player, from a fan's perspective, without fully understanding the schemes and assignments. . . Butler plays in arguably the league's best defensive scheme (NE or Seattle) with year in, year out consistency in their concepts. Gilmore has had four different coordinators in five Butler has been very good and has outperformed Gilmore in the eyes of many, the gap hasn't been that great. If you flipped the two, maybe the Patriots think these players would have very different production and accolades.

This thread isn't to bash Butler, who in my book is an awesome Patriots, total overachiever, a guy who plays the game with tremendous effort and has improved by miles. He is a great cornerback, and I have assumed since 2015 that he would be locked up long-term as a no-brainer. I love Butler, and if he gets sent packing, it would be a huge sentimental blow to all of us who fell in love with his underdog story and his all-time legendary play in SB49. It would suck as a fan to not see him as a long-term Patriot

I am just wondering if the Patriots didn't rate Butler as high as we thought they did, partly due to his lackluster Super Bowl when he was tasked with shutting down very good (but not elite) receivers one-on-one...Maybe I'm wrong and Butler will back on a big contract as well...I just think the most likely answer here, considering the trade speculation and the Gilmore contract, is that they don't plan to invest two huge contracts for a CB1 and a CB2 and they've made their choice.

Some great points for discussion or argument that COULD have merit.

, but I think BB likes to use the max amount of cap flexibility he can within the constraints of the system. Therefore, I think it was a given when they couldn't get a discount deal last year that he would be locked up this way til at least TC and they see the lay of the land. Then retry for something LT.

I see the Gilmore move as improving two positions : Gilmore> Butler & Butler > Ryan, not a 1-1 Gilmore butler choice. At least for now.

Wonderful breakdown. This has been on my mind as well ever since the SB.

The key word here is leverage, and when it comes to assessing value, the Patriots may well consider Butler's most recent SB performance (which was average at best) and his matchup limitations again taller WRs.

That's not to suggest that Butler doesnt deserve to be paid as an elite CB, but when you consider his age, background, and restricted contract (not to mention the insights of the Patriots coaching staff on Butler's limitations and what's required to conceal them) the Patriots have thd leverage to dictate his long-term value.

If Butler cannot accept what the team has judged to be his fair worth, I would have no qualms about him being traded for a 1st round draft pick....although letting him play out his contract would certainly benefit our defense and ensure that New England at least gets a third round compensatory pick should he leave as an UFA.

The guy had an All-Pro season but two bad plays that resulted in exactly one TD should take him out of a big contract?

I guess his play in fourth of SB49 should have secured him a$50 million contract then.

It's funny how everyone loved Butler (and this is not a slight on you OP) but since he didn't sign an extension and we bought another expensive CB, a lot of people are now saying he was always overrated, and we should have traded him for a pick anyway.

Unbelievable. :(

Overrated can be different from overpriced. I don't think many believe Butler is overrated, as he is seen by most as a very good CB but not a top-5, mainly due to his size. Clearly we don't know Butler's asking price, but I'm guessing it was somewhere near the Gilmore deal. If that's the case, it's a good move to explore other options at a similar price. Butler is awesome, but he does lack the physical gifts and size of Gilmour.

The biggest surprise to me in all this is the Patriots typical philosophy to re-sign their own instead of risking a bad system fit or bad personality fit...plus the effect on the locker room of bringing in a new guy as your highest paid player rather than someone who has earned the team's respect. Hence, educated guess is they think the talent gap between the two is fairly wide.

I could be wrong about the Super Bowl being a big factor in this decision, but I'll point out again that this was the biggest challenge of the season against multiple good receiving threats, and any way you slice it, Butler looked pretty overmatched. I should have been more detailed and concise about Butler's performance because it was not just a few plays. Of course, I would expect the team to hyperanalyze these types of games against top offenses, since there were few of them, given the decisions they are facing for a long-term number one cornerback, which has become arguably the second most important position in the NFL.

No he didn't. Butler just got juked out. He was losing his balance because of the head fake by Gabriel.

Chris Long was closing in as well. I don't think Ryan could have gotten off an accurate pass.

I've seen tape of the Gabriel play in slo-mo and zoomed in.
It seems pretty clear that Butler is trying to draw his left foot back, presumably to plant in anticipation of Gabriel's cut, when Gabriel's plant foot gets tangled with Butler's left and presents it from moving.

Butler doesn't appear to be "off-balance" before that, but merely shifting his weight to stop his momentum. It's the not being able to get his left foot back that causes Butler to lose his balance.

That said, it was a totally sick, ankle-breaking cut by Gabriel, and he almost certainly would have gotten a yard or more in separation even if Butler hadn't fallen down.

I've seen tape of the Gabriel play in slo-mo and zoomed in.
It seems pretty clear that Butler is trying to draw his left foot back, presumably to plant in anticipation of Gabriel's cut, when Gabriel's plant foot gets tangled with Butler's left and presents it from moving.
I'd like to see screenshots. I've run the scene frame-by-frame multiple times and in every frame there was grass visible between the tip of Butler's toe and any part of Gabriel's shoe. And from the frame-by-frame it was, in my opinion, clearly visible that Butler began stumbling after the nasty head fake + cut by Gabriel.

The second picture I attached above is the closest moment between the feet of Butler and Gabriel and if you zoom in you can clearly see that Gabriel isn't stepping on Butler's shoe.

Lots of assumptions as we really do not know all of the details of what was offered and counter offered, and much is assumed.. how do you quantify, "not asking for the moon" as his agent claimed. As fans we cannot agree on whether he was stepped on or fell.

I am a huge Butler fan, but first he needs to sign his tender then other things may fall into place, if the greatest leverage he has is his pen, he ain't got nothing..

He has an agent with one client, who views this as a "interest"... wonder if things would have moved differently for a more seasoned agent.. all week been hearing on the radio how Butler is disrespected and other such nonsense.. I do not see a lot of disrespect, I see the Pats playing by the rules set down by the NFLPA...

Step 1 Malcolm, get a seasoned NFL agent.. not some local yokel who does this stuff on the side..

Last edited:
Why does that Gabriel play even matter so much? I don't recall him having any other team impact on the game... the one we actually won.

I doubt BB is evaluating him based on the results of one game. He covered the best receivers on most of their opponents all season with a pretty good track record. The Pats tendered Butler at a 1st round level - that's as good as it gets for a guy in his RFA season. No team is going to give up that year of control and pay someone like a UFA.

What are the timelines here? Can a team sign Butler to a contract that the Patriots will not match after the draft, and then the pick we receive is a 2018 first?

Ron-Swanson-No.gif

Butler's inexperienced agent and the fact that he clearly doesn't realize that when a guy is a RFA and wants an extension they take a little less to buy off the RFA year to get that upfront money is the reason.

What are the timelines here? Can a team sign Butler to a contract that the Patriots will not match after the draft, and then the pick we receive is a 2018 first?
No. The deadline for a RFA to sign another team's offer sheet is shortly before the draft. 21 April this year, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back