PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sanchez released

It's really sad for so many reasons.

One, his cap hit will be smaller and smaller over the years (though, I imagine it is quite a bit for this year).

Two, To be so young and to know that you have peaked and are on the downslide. that's a terrible thing to have to live with. It can really break a man. Hopefully, he invests his money wisely as there is unlikely to be another windfall in his future.

At least, we'll always have the butt fumble. I doubt Vick will help them as much, but maybe it gives Geno a year to mature.

Right now the Raiders are keeping their fingers crossed that he'll accept their $50million/ year offer.

His epitaph:

The more he played
The worse he got
All that was left
Was a pain in the Butt

His epitaph:

The more he played
The worse he got
All that was left
Was a pain in the Butt

Moderately humble
He seldom grumbled
But for all his trouble
He was Mr. Buttfumble

Sanchez as a rookie:
12 TDs
20 INTs
10 fumbles
53.8% completion rate
63.0 QB rating

Sanchez in year 2:
17 TDs
13 INTs
9 fumbles
54.5% completion rate
75.3 QB rating

Sanchez in year 3:
26 TDs
18 INTs
10 fumbles
56.7% completion rate
78.2 QB rating

Sanchez in year 4:
13 TDs
18 INTs
14 fumbles
54.3% completion rate
66.9 QB rating

When does the serviceable part kick in?

valid question and good data. thanks.

i live in nyc and, by all accounts in the media and by the way he carries himself in public, Sanchez is a decent person (and reasonably intelligent if "pigheaded"), so maybe I'm just giving him the "nice guy" benefit of the doubt but i think he deserves a chance to show whether he is as bad as he looked the last couple of years or whether he was a victim of the three ring circus in the Meadowlands and can now have a career as a journeyman backup and spot starter, which is how i saw him from the beginning. From day one here in Manhattan, I never saw him as a franchise QB and Rex Ryan did him a great disservice by tagging him as the "Sanchize."

some team will give him that chance, so the answer to that question is "knowable."

Sanchez was terrible, no doubt. But as a Pats fan, I will really miss him.

Also, I don't think Sanchez was ever going to be a Pro Bowler, but he could have been a decent starter in this league if the Jets weren't so dysfunctional and went out of their way to destroy him. They pampered him and handed him everything, then wondered why he felt entitled. Then they went the other way and did everything they could to undermine him and destroy his confidence.

He was a terrible hindrance to some veteran teams that were built to win, but again, he's just doing what he's told. The organization had only Kellen Clemens behind him, they handed him everything, the coaching staff didn't do much...it's hard to blame the player so much as everyone else around him. Yes, the player sucked. But why was he given such a long leash and very little coaching? What does bringing in a buffoon like Tony Sparano do to help improve your QB?

I rarely agree with anything Rich Cimini writes, but his summary of the Sanchez era sums it up pretty nicely. The organization was just as responsible for his failure as Sanchez was.

I get that he's not a good player, but you honestly can't say he has no place in a league where Chad Henne is a projected starter, where Christian Ponder, Matt McGloin, Brandon Weeden, Thad Lewis, and Kellen Clemens started multiple games last season.

We'll always have the butt fumble, and I love to see all the gifs in this thread. But it's also a reminder that draft pick busts are not always just about the player and his talent, but also about the organization that drafts him and their strategy to develop that talent.

Sanchez was terrible, no doubt. But as a Pats fan, I will really miss him.

Also, I don't think Sanchez was ever going to be a Pro Bowler, but he could have been a decent starter in this league if the Jets weren't so dysfunctional and went out of their way to destroy him. They pampered him and handed him everything, then wondered why he felt entitled. Then they went the other way and did everything they could to undermine him and destroy his confidence.

He was a terrible hindrance to some veteran teams that were built to win, but again, he's just doing what he's told. The organization had only Kellen Clemens behind him, they handed him everything, the coaching staff didn't do much...it's hard to blame the player so much as everyone else around him. Yes, the player sucked. But why was he given such a long leash and very little coaching? What does bringing in a buffoon like Tony Sparano do to help improve your QB?

I rarely agree with anything Rich Cimini writes, but his summary of the Sanchez era sums it up pretty nicely. The organization was just as responsible for his failure as Sanchez was.

I get that he's not a good player, but you honestly can't say he has no place in a league where Chad Henne is a projected starter, where Christian Ponder, Matt McGloin, Brandon Weeden, Thad Lewis, and Kellen Clemens started multiple games last season.

We'll always have the butt fumble, and I love to see all the gifs in this thread. But it's also a reminder that draft pick busts are not always just about the player and his talent, but also about the organization that drafts him and their strategy to develop that talent.

Thad Lewis wasn't that bad though. I think he could be a legitimate NFL starter, but he'll never get a chance because of the sunk cost fallacy re: Manuel.

Cimini was a Sanchez apologist right down the line, and now he's grasping for a narrative other than the kid never had it. Sanchez never even passed the eye test to me. He did not look comfortable back there in "must pass" situations.

Sanchez won't have the Jets organization holding him back anymore.

Thad Lewis wasn't that bad though. I think he could be a legitimate NFL starter, but he'll never get a chance because of the sunk cost fallacy re: Manuel.

I agree, Lewis isn't that bad, but he's in that similar group with Sanchez is all. Prior to Sanchez's meltdown after bringing in Sparano and Tebow, here are the two:

2011 Sanchez: 56.7%, 6.40 Avg, 26 TD vs. 18 INT, 36.0 QBR, 78.2 RAT
2013 Lewis: 59.2%, 6.96 Avg, 4 TD vs. 3 INT, 24.1 QBR, 82 RAT

Lewis has more potential, Sanchez has more experience. Just saying there's a place for Mark in this league somewhere.

Cimini was a Sanchez apologist right down the line, and now he's grasping for a narrative other than the kid never had it. Sanchez never even passed the eye test to me. He did not look comfortable back there in "must pass" situations.

Sanchez won't have the Jets organization holding him back anymore.

I'm not really interested in defending Cimini or Sanchez, but I really don't know what part of the link you're disagreeing with.

It's basically saying:

1. The Jets had a veteran team when Sanchez came on board, and he didn't have to do much.
2. By the time they needed Sanchez to mature, the team was too old to give him much help.
3. Sanchez was a system QB who couldn't elevate his teammates.
4. Sanchez carried himself with a sense of entitlement, perhaps due to the coddling by the organization.
5. Bringing in Tebow and Sparano destroyed what little confidence he had.

As for his ability, he was incredibly inconsistent, but he could be surprisingly competent when the lights shone brightest. His 4-2 record in the playoffs (all road games) with a 9-3 TD-INT ratio were pretty impressive. Even in his 2 losses, he wasn't atrocious, finishing with a 93.3 and 102.2 RAT. He wasn't the reason they lost those games.

Maybe he did leave school too early as Carroll said. Maybe he just never had it. But I can't help but think the Jets blew it, and they know it, and that's why they are doing everything the opposite way now with Geno Smith.

I'm not really interested in defending Cimini or Sanchez, but I really don't know what part of the link you're disagreeing with.

There's an inordinate emphasis on Sanchez being screwed by circumstance, the Jets, the loss of support, crumbling under the massive "pressure" of Tebow, who they wouldn't even put in after Sanchez got hurt.

Sanchez got a lot of intensive reps, starts, and support, way more than a lot of QB prospects get. The effort was there. The shortcomings were Sanchez's, and to me the eye test showed it.

That's one of the weird things about early draft pick QB's -- the way we all sort of pretend they've got what it takes, and then go "phew!" when it's out in the open. Jake Locker's on his way. Gabbert's already gone.

The jets got rid of Sanchez because it is clear what he is. He is a below average starter and a decent back up. He is not a disaster of a qb. I realize he was the 5th overall pick and thus is considered a disappointment but he still will make some team a decent back up. And now the jets are going to spend another three years figuring out that geno smith is the true terrible qb on their roster. I assure u geno has every bit the potential to bring sucking to a whole new level. They are starting over.. Complicating the process by bringing in an over the hill Vick and doing what they always do chasing potential..instead of just dealing with the reality of what they have which by the looks of things isn't much

Not that I want him, but I wonder if Sanchez would be able to recover on a team like ours.

We've seen that he CAN be a good quarterback at times, even in the mess of an offense that the Jets surrounded him with for most of his tenure there.

I'd like to see him play having options like Gronk, Edelman/Welker, and Vereen as pass catchers behind a solid OL.

He was just destroyed mentally. The Jets can ruin any quarterback.

Thank you Sanchez, for the moments of hapiness you brought to my life, I will never forget the buttfumble neither that timeout you called that lead Wrecks to a heart attack in the sideline.

So he was drafted 5th over all, they stuck 20 million in his pocket guaranteed, when upping his contract, then cut him 2 years later. Gohlston was picked the year before at number 6 over all. Jest fans should really never ever ever speak ill of our drafts EVER again. How many time have them Ganga Reen fans laughed about the pats Trading down. Those are some big time misses there. What a freaking disgrace that team and its management is. Seriously, the head coach got a tattoo of his wife in Sanchez's jersey? WTF? I'm actually ashamed this team is in our division. That team is an affront to all football fans, not just us.:rolleyes:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports free agent Mark Sanchez plans to sign with the Eagles.

I don't get it. I don't get how Sanchez got his 2nd job in the NFL this fast. An NFL backup should either have proved himself as capable at some point in his career (Hasselbeck, Jackson, Campbell, Fitzpatrick) or be unproven/show upside (Mallett, Cousins).

Sanchez is proven awfulness with no upside.....

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back