PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Al Michaels done at NBC? Not part of their playoff coverage

Michaels has been terrible. I’ve always been impressed with the complaining that has popped up over the years here. Never understood it. I’ve never disliked a guy enough to mute the t’v. or take some other measures some here have taken. However, either I’m getting old or he’s getting ****tier at his job. His performance during the TNF game last week was piss poor. Incredibly disinterested. It pissed me off thinking about the paycheck that bum was collecting to know less about the game than I do. See ya Al. Thanks for everything. Now don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.
I started muting the games because the jibberish was getting in the way of my enjoyment of the plays on the field. I actually enjoy it when I get it to the perfect level. The only other places I watch is at bars that don't have the sound loud enough for my older ears to hear.

I think I'm an expert on getting old and it's important in a few ways. The first is that we've been able to view things at a time when they were simpler and possibly better, depending how old you really are. The announcers were all highly trained individuals "back then."

The games were also much different in the past. I was in the C's thread with fans and I was talking about how much the NBA has changed. The current game takes a lot of getting used to for me and I'm still working on it.

But the single biggest difference is with the expansion. The further back you go the less teams there were and the talent was more concentrated. That's true with all sports. If you're old enough you can remember when the NFL consisted of only 6 teams. Talk about loaded teams.

So he's unchanged since his playing days?
Happy Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by Jordan Belfort
On the rare occasion that I've seen him I haven't been able to understand much of what he's saying. That's the same MI that I remember.

"Seattle's bleeding the clock right down ... half a minute left, second and goal, Baldwin sets up on the left, clock is at 5 ... pass is ...intercepted at the goalline by Malcolm Butler! Unreal!"

My favorite Al call all time. :)
Too bad CC ruined that one too with his harping on the wrong play call as soon as the play was over. I don't remember but he could have interrupted Al to start his rant.

Think about it. The greatest defensive play in the history of the game was just made by Butler but that clown wanted to whine about the play call by Pete instead.

On the rare occasion that I've seen him I haven't been able to understand much of what he's saying. That's the same MI that I remember.
He's reasonably entertaining when he's annunciating and he's being funny. I have listened to him on the radio and got maybe 10-15% of what he says.

He's reasonably entertaining when he's annunciating and he's being funny. I have listened to him on the radio and got maybe 10-15% of what he says.
That's perfect for his job. :rolleyes:

Edit: He was a great WR though.

The guy is 79. Most 79 year old guys are able to kick back a bit. Maybe this is his decision, not theirs?

Mike Gorman is 76 and he's retiring after this Celtics season & he's stopped doing road games. It's gotta be tough doing that at their age.
Hmmm so guys in their 70's aren't as good at their jobs as they used to be...

I thought Uncle Al was a lot better than he had been during recent and not-so-recent broadcasts: he seemed sharper, crisper in his delivery, and he provided stronger emotion for the more exciting plays... He still however seems to be a touch behind, and he has that weird inflection of his at other moments, such as, you know, TDs...

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back