PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Myles Bryant signs with Texans

That's kind of odd, I thought they'd want to bring him back considering his versatility and presumably low cost. Curious on the contract value.

He was better last year than a lot of people give him credit for. Not a priority signing by any means, but he was solid for a secondary that was playing with a lot of moving parts. But I said when they signed Hawkins that he felt like a Myles Bryant replacement, more so than a guy who would vie for a starting safety job. Looks like that might be the case in the end, if he makes the team.

He was fine as a CB5 and a FS4. ST as well.

Anything more than that led him to be exposed 3-5 plays a game.

What's funny though is that the defense was pretty damn good last year overall, especially considering the kind of positions the offense was putting them in, and Bryant played the 4th most defensive snaps on the team. Only Dugger, Bentley, and Peppers played more than he did. If he was that easily exposed in a bigger role, we would have seen it happening game in and game out, but that really didn't happen.

I mean, you left out the part where he sucks, and teams intentionally target him every time he's on the field.

I posted while you posting, so sorry for repeating, but he played the 4th most defensive snaps on the team last year (almost 75%). If he was being targeted that badly every time he was on the field, the defense wouldn't have been nearly as good as it was in 2023.

OK, fair enough.
==========
Who are our 5 current CB's who are better than Bryant?

Who is our #4 safety,

Who is our backup returner.
==========
Bryant performed all of these roles, and was "OK" when he needed to come in as a backup.

At corner, we start with GONZO and Jon Jones. I suppose that we are ready to count on Austiin and Marcus Jones, based on their extensive solid play so far. ???

So, arguably, we have 4 CB's.

Competing for CB#5 are Wade, Bolden, Marco Wilson, and Hearn.
============
I believe that based on his play in 2023, Bryant would have a been a major plus competing to be our #9 DB, as you say #5 CB and #5 S. With some luck, he wouldn't have made the team. He's made the team so far.
=======
I'm not campaigning for Bryant, only noting that there could have been a place for him, with not enough folks stepping up the their game to be beat him out for a roster spot.

I think his bad play was overplayed and I think he really showed what he could do last year. He's a pretty good DB.

I also think we have a lot of DBs ahead of him right now so I'm not surprised we didn't try harder to retain him.

OK, fair enough.
==========
Who are our 5 current CB's who are better than Bryant?

Who is our #4 safety,

Who is our backup returner.
==========
Bryant performed all of these roles, and was "OK" when he needed to come in as a backup.

At corner, we start with GONZO and Jon Jones. I suppose that we are ready to count on Austiin and Marcus Jones, based on their extensive solid play so far. ???

So, arguably, we have 4 CB's.

Competing for CB#5 are Wade, Bolden, Marco Wilson, and Hearn.
============
I believe that based on his play in 2023, Bryant would have a been a major plus competing to be our #9 DB, as you say #5 CB and #5 S. With some luck, he wouldn't have made the team. He's made the team so far.
=======
I'm not campaigning for Bryant, only noting that there could have been a place for him, with not enough folks stepping up the their game to be beat him out for a roster spot.
A Day 3 draft pick, or UDFA should suffice.

What's funny though is that the defense was pretty damn good last year overall, especially considering the kind of positions the offense was putting them in, and Bryant played the 4th most defensive snaps on the team. Only Dugger, Bentley, and Peppers played more than he did. If he was that easily exposed in a bigger role, we would have seen it happening game in and game out, but that really didn't happen.
Bryant was our #1 CB, or sometimes #2, and didn't play up to that level. THEREFORE, it is time not to re-sign him and just plain HOPE that we will have five CB's as good as he was in 2023.

I posted while you posting, so sorry for repeating, but he played the 4th most defensive snaps on the team last year (almost 75%). If he was being targeted that badly every time he was on the field, the defense wouldn't have been nearly as good as it was in 2023.
A lot of zone covers up a few warts. He can make an occasional play but the talent isn’t really there.

Bryant beaten by 3+ yards for the TD lol. He won't be hard to replace

Okay, but he played 850 snaps other than this one. I don't even want to do this... I don't think Bryant was a MUST HAVE re-signing, but this notion that he was somehow an easily replaced, constant liability is just outdated at best. Dude was fine. He can be upgraded if they choose to invest in that, but he was fine. I think people have the Buffalo games from a couple years ago stuck in their mind and think that THAT was the Bryant we saw in 2023, when it really wasn't.

They had very good pass rush and because their run D was so good it helped make passing downs predictable.

Bryant was fine. The team had a lot more problems which were more of an issue than him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back