PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuels = PISSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, enough OK.

You made a statement with 3 !!! that Samuel was pissed.

I don't think you know him, so I questioned why you would come to that conclusion.

Did he say he was pissed in an interview? Did he look pissed? That's what I meant.

Ok, truce. I understand your your point, at least I think I do. Just remmember the messageboard is meant for fun, noone here is a professional writter, I think.

Damn..Hippies!!!

:cool:

fondue_easyrider_wideweb__470x301,0.jpg

Well then you should tell your player rep and then vote against it in the CBA!

Now that we have that out of the way your argument is weak!

Lets say you sign a 8 year 80 mil contract with 20 mil "guaranteed". Now the breakdown is as follows: 10 mil signing bonus, 8 mil roster bonus in year two and a two mil roster bonus in year three. Then the rest is salary, workout bonuses etc..

Do you think that player ever even sniffs that 8 mil roster bonus in year two if he blows out his knee?

Nope!

The risk is that substantial if the top 5 salary is guaranteed over a two year period.

Now from a team perspective how ****ty would it be to have a franchised CB accounting for nearly 8 mil against the cap blowing out his knee?

Why is that a lot of fans only seem to relate to the players perspective without considering the salary cap implications?

You are supporting my argument. Whats more, a 10 million signing bonus, or the franchise tag at 7.5 million.

EDIT: I mis-read the post, it makes more sense to me now.

Last edited:
Ok, truce. I understand your your point, at least I think I do. Just remmember the messageboard is meant for fun, noone here is a professional writter, I think.

That's why I backed off brother. I don't think old Asante has too much to be pissed about. He's a 4th round pick who's going to make over 7 mil minimum this year.

If they can't agree to a long term deal, he'll probably be traded and make more.

I don't think they'll try to franchise him again. That's when they get really pissed.

Peace:D

I don't think they'll try to franchise him again. That's when they get really pissed.

That doesn't make sense to me (I know your stating that from a players perspective, so don't take this as personal response to you). I understand that they have an opportunity to make a lot of money on the open market during there prime years. But by being franchised they are guaranting that years salary. Now if you are franchised two or three years in a row you probably made more money than you would have if you were signed long term. I think that was the original thought for the give and take of the Tag. Think about Law, the Pats offered him a 4 year contract in 2004 that would have guaranteed him more money within the first two years than what he received over the last two seasons playing for the Jets and Chiefs. He rolled the dice and lost, but you won't hear the national pundits mention that because it doesn't suite their agenda.

The franchise tag shouldn't offend people unless they truly want to leave the situation that they are in.

Well honestly. Asante is a very good young corner back but it would be absolutely crazy to give him a contract that Clements just got.

There is no way Asante Samuel is pissed off....He is in a win win sitution....:rolleyes:

There is no way Asante Samuel is pissed off....He is in a win win sitution....:rolleyes:

Yup, that one year 7.? deal is looking better by the minute. That Clements deal was crazy and I can't stand Samuel.

I still do not think he will make 7.79 million this year, either he will be traded or signed long term.

It does not make any sense for him to be pissed or to hold out, if the latter takes place he will be viewed as a disgruntled player and take an image hit.. if he does not play this year the NFL suffers from short term memory loss, folks will forget how good he played this year. He looses a year of NFL seasoning, and a year of going up against the "new" receivers.

The pats are playing by the rules that were negotiated, no one likes all of them, but so far they have worked pretty well in the NFL. Assante does not have much of a grievance, almost 8 million for a CB who had one good year is a lot of money.

Yup, that one year 7.? deal is looking better by the minute. That Clements deal was crazy and I can't stand Samuel.
The 49'ers may have gotten a really good player but 10 million a year as an average is ridonkulous.

Okay so I figured a NON-Thomas thead was in order. Does anyone else think that Asante is boiling with rage right now as the Clemens deal is being announced? I hope we won't pull a Deion on us.

It's been 2 weeks and he's said nothing. If he's pissed, then he's doing a good job keeping it inside.

Okay so I figured a NON-Thomas thead was in order. Does anyone else think that Asante is boiling with rage right now as the Clemens deal is being announced? I hope we won't pull a Deion on us.

Why would he be "boiling with rage?" There are a few things to realize.

1) The Clements deal is 8 years and 80 million with 22 mill guaranteed. But we don't know how the guaranteed money is broken down. Its highly unlikely its all signing bonus.

2) Its already being reported that Clements deal is really a 6 year deal that averages out to 7.25 million a year for that time frame and that the last 2 years are money he'll never see.

3) It gives Samuel a bargaining chip in negotiations with the Patriots.

Waiter what did that gentleman get for his meal it looks really good? The fillet? Yum I'll have the same and can I get extra Bearnaise with that? Thank you.

That doesn't make sense to me (I know your stating that from a players perspective, so don't take this as personal response to you). I understand that they have an opportunity to make a lot of money on the open market during there prime years. But by being franchised they are guaranting that years salary. Now if you are franchised two or three years in a row you probably made more money than you would have if you were signed long term. I think that was the original thought for the give and take of the Tag. Think about Law, the Pats offered him a 4 year contract in 2004 that would have guaranteed him more money within the first two years than what he received over the last two seasons playing for the Jets and Chiefs. He rolled the dice and lost, but you won't hear the national pundits mention that because it doesn't suite their agenda.

The franchise tag shouldn't offend people unless they truly want to leave the situation that they are in.

I think guys that are repeatedly tagged see it as preventing them from getting that big long term contract in their prime.

I could be wrong and I don't care, but I believe I've seen guys in that situation get pissed.

Branch wasn't tagged. He wanted the last year of his contract ripped up.

True, but he held out of camp and refused to negotiate unless the Patriots guaranteed him that they wouldn't franchise him next year. In other words, Branch had no intention of negotiating because he wanted to be a free agent after the season and he wanted to take away any leverage the Pats might have had on him.

Or he destroys his knee in the first pre-season game and never plays again. If I were a player in the league I would be angry as hell if they slapped a tag on me; it inhibits my security long term.

This is NOT TRUE at all. Its only what the idiot agents want you to think.

While the tag is a way of limiting a players conversations with other teams, its also a message to the player that tells him that the team WANTS him and thinks of him as a top 5 player at his position. It allows the team to work with that player on a long term deal.

The Franchise offer only goes into affect if the player signs it.

However, that being said, from a team/fan perspective I would be totally ok with him walking and getting that draft choice. The draft choice brings better long term value for the team. Of course this is operating under the assumption the player drafted contributes to the team, and using our franchise as a model, the Patriots find great value in the draft.

The Patriots sometimes find great value in the draft. As people have pointed out previously, the 2004 draft beyond the 1st round has turned into a clunker. The 2003 draft and 2002 drafts were very good. The 2001 draft was a clunker after the 1st 2 rounds. The 2005 and 2006 drafts look like they should pan out, but its stil another year on the 2005 and 2 on the 2006 before we can really say one way or the other.

The 49'ers may have gotten a really good player but 10 million a year as an average is ridonkulous.

Its not 10 mill a year avg. Oh, it will be for the compensation pick that Buffalo gets in 2008 for him, but that's it.

Its already been reported that the last 2 years of the deal are probably fictitious or option years. I've heard the deal reported as a 6 year deal that averages 7.25 million a year with Clements pulling in 29 mill in the 1st 3. We won't know until its filed with the league and more information comes out.

First thing to consider is that Clements was franchised last year, so Samuel can't compare himself to Clements this year, but Clements last year.

Second, even if he only earns a million or two less than he would have gotten guaranteed, the fact is he's making more than Clements in salary next year (I', going by Clements' average). If he gets injured and his career is over, then he's out a couple million. if he remains healthy and signs a big deal next year with a big bonus, then he actually comes out better for having gone through the franchise year.

Rest assured, Clements is very very happy that he was franchised last year. He wouldn't have gotten this deal last year.

This thread was unnecessary. The original poster should be taken out back and flogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News