PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

TB can be platooned or used as a backup as the years go on...

WHAT???
jester.gif

Re: Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

But that is the beauty of the Brady contract. His pay in 2015 and beyond is as much as a very good backup would command and no more. So you could pay a #1, Mallett or someone else, good money; and pay TB too, until he hangs up his cleats. Only if the #1 is a Top5 and can command such a salary, would it get awkward. But such a situation is unlikely, to occur immediately.
How many backups are making $13, 14, or 15M a year? Those are Brady's cap hits over the last three seasons. That's nowhere near backup money.

And the sentence following was? "Otherwise we aren't seeing "chit" for Mallett."

Do I want to see Brady leave? Hell no. Do I think we would get anything for Mallett next year, save a Cassel manage the season type performance amidst disaster; absolutely not. Hence, my stance on the Mallett value spectrum, if you deem him the next Rodgers, you trade an incredibly cap friendly Brady while you can. This would be Mallett's time to shine. If not now, then certainly the sentiment would apply next year. I guess we will find out if/when we Draft a tall, lanky, "gamer" in the sixth next year :p.

I never said I thought Brady should be dumped, I simply said Brady would hold far more potential in trade, when realistically the team needs to be actively considering a future without him. Is Tf'nB a better option than Mallett today? Absolutely. I don't think anyone would argue that. But I would assume we could get far more for the GOAT next year with the team friendly deal, than any team would part ways with for Mallett/"Florida's chosen boy." (Ok, maybe Jax would puke up a second for Tim, simply for the home town mega-crowd draw!)

TB will never be traded or released; he will retire a Patriot and move on directly to the front office, maybe even with some type of ownership stake eventually. TB is not only the best QB to ever step on a NFL field he also embodies everything the NFL wants their players to be.

Regarding the trades Mallett an Cassell are completely different, Mallett was once considered a top 10 draft pick until character issues dropped his stock, Cassell was a collegiate backup taken in the late rounds. Mallett simply needs to show that his talent translates to the NFL and I could see a team offering us a pick in round 2, 3, or 4. If he has an average preseason I don't think we will even get a phone call for him and it will indicate we misplayed our hand in terms of him.

Tebow wouldn't garner $2 in a trade return led a lone a 2nd rounder; Jax could of signed him to a non guaranteed deal just as easily as we did, so obviously they have no interest.

TB will never be traded or released; he will retire a Patriot and move on directly to the front office, maybe even with some type of ownership stake eventually. TB is not only the best QB to ever step on a NFL field he also embodies everything the NFL wants their players to be.

Regarding the trades Mallett an Cassell are completely different, Mallett was once considered a top 10 draft pick until character issues dropped his stock, Cassell was a collegiate backup taken in the late rounds. Mallett simply needs to show that his talent translates to the NFL and I could see a team offering us a pick in round 2, 3, or 4. If he has an average preseason I don't think we will even get a phone call for him and it will indicate we misplayed our hand in terms of him.

Tebow wouldn't garner $2 in a trade return led a lone a 2nd rounder; Jax could of signed him to a non guaranteed deal just as easily as we did, so obviously they have no interest.

Here is what is funny. Lets' just say that if Brady could play to age 45 (nevermind age 50 like what has been posed recently), then the next Patriots quarterback that they have to groom is still in elementary school/high school.

My hope is that Mallett shows just enough so that the Patriots sign him to a 2nd contract with the cap space that was saved in Brady's latest deal (i.e. AAV of $5-8 million a year) in case Brady goes down with an injury.

Mallett's 1st and 2nd preseason appearance couldn't come soon enough so that his status as Brady's backup is salted away.

Here is what is funny. Lets' just say that if Brady could play to age 45 (nevermind age 50 like what has been posed recently), then the next Patriots quarterback that they have to groom is still in elementary school/high school.

My hope is that Mallett shows just enough so that the Patriots sign him to a 2nd contract with the cap space that was saved in Brady's latest deal (i.e. AAV of $5-8 million a year) in case Brady goes down with an injury.

Mallett's 1st and 2nd preseason appearance couldn't come soon enough so that his status as Brady's backup is salted away.

Mallet was the #2 last year and this year as well. Why would the Pats pay him $5-8 mil per year on his next contract, when they could draft a replacement backup QB and pay him rookie scale ?

Only reason to even consider paying that kind of coin to Mallet (or any other backup) is if you thought he was Brady's replacement and didn't want to lose him.

That's probably the best case that we can hope for, since Brady's career seems to be far from over at this point. Even if Belichick honestly thought that Mallett could be the next great QB it'd be difficult to retain him after next season in my opinion, just due to the unknown of what they'd pay him.

And even after next season Brady may still have another 2-3 yrs left in him, which would make keeping Mallett a pretty unlikely possibility. As others have pointed out, there's really no use even trying to predict who the next franchise QB will be here, because there's a good chance that we have never even heard of him.

I see Brady playing and being productive until he is 40-42 years old; he is in remarkable shape, takes great care of himself, he looks like he is in his mid 20's. If Brett Farve who was never in great shape, had a history of alcohol and substance abuse can play till he is 40 it will not be an issue for Brady.

This is why I think anyone that thinks Mallett or Tebow (Steve Young Jr.) are going to be the QB of the future aren't looking at the big picture. Both these guys will be 30+ years old taking over, that is not an ideal situation. Steve Young had a great career, however the turn around time at which the 49ers needed to have another franchise QB on hand was so short and that contributed to a much larger rebuild than say the Colts had to go through.

I do think Mallett can be a part of the replacement process for Brady and I've outlined that potential process below.

Trade A
Trade Mallet for 2014 3rd RD pick.
Trade 2014 3rd RD pick for 2015 2nd RD pick.
Trade 2015 2nd RD pick for 2016 1st RD pick

Trade B
Trade Mallett for 2015 2nd RD pick.
Trade 2015 2nd RD pick for 2016 1st RD pick.

I really think it would be ideal to have a 1st RD draft pick to be used on a QB in 2016, this would allow you to have the QB spend 2016 (rookie season) and 2017 (2nd season) before taking over the team as the starter in 2018. 2016 also looks to be a promising QB class.

I see Brady playing and being productive until he is 40-42 years old; he is in remarkable shape, takes great care of himself, he looks like he is in his mid 20's. If Brett Farve who was never in great shape, had a history of alcohol and substance abuse can play till he is 40 it will not be an issue for Brady.

This is why I think anyone that thinks Mallett or Tebow (Steve Young Jr.) are going to be the QB of the future aren't looking at the big picture. Both these guys will be 30+ years old taking over, that is not an ideal situation. Steve Young had a great career, however the turn around time at which the 49ers needed to have another franchise QB on hand was so short and that contributed to a much larger rebuild than say the Colts had to go through.

I do think Mallett can be a part of the replacement process for Brady and I've outlined that potential process below.

Trade A
Trade Mallet for 2014 3rd RD pick.
Trade 2014 3rd RD pick for 2015 2nd RD pick.
Trade 2015 2nd RD pick for 2016 1st RD pick

Trade B
Trade Mallett for 2015 2nd RD pick.
Trade 2015 2nd RD pick for 2016 1st RD pick.

I really think it would be ideal to have a 1st RD draft pick to be used on a QB in 2016, this would allow you to have the QB spend 2016 (rookie season) and 2017 (2nd season) before taking over the team as the starter in 2018. 2016 also looks to be a promising QB class.

Brady - if the Patriots were fortunate enough to position themselves to get Brett Hundley, whenever he declares, I will be very, very stoked.

With that said - wherever Hundley does go, that franchise should be elated.

Brady - if the Patriots were fortunate enough to position themselves to get Brett Hundley, whenever he declares, I will be very, very stoked.

With that said - wherever Hundley does go, that franchise should be elated.

If they want to go with a low cost investment, Casey Pachall of TCU is interesting. Legit NFL arm and would have possibly been a round 2/3 candidate but because of drink and drug issues will likely be a UDFA or very late rounder. If they feel he can turn it around, he could easily be a quality replacement for a Ryan Mallett.

If they want to go with a low cost investment, Casey Pachall of TCU is interesting. Legit NFL arm and would have possibly been a round 2/3 candidate but because of drink and drug issues will likely be a UDFA or very late rounder. If they feel he can turn it around, he could easily be a quality replacement for a Ryan Mallett.

He could be a Round 7-UDFA candidate if the Pats want to go cheap but the fact that he is not locked into the starting role (he is competing against sophomore Trevone Boykin) is an indication that the coaching staff is not ready to hand him anything.

With that said - I am sure that the Pats are going to take a look (again) considering that Josh Boyce was his primary receiver last year before his suspension.

It's a misconception in my opinion to think that the Mallett pick will be a bad move if we don't receive higher than a 3rd round draft pick. If we're able to receive a 3rd for him in the 2014 draft I think it is actually an excellent selection.

If you look at the 3rd selections after Mallett in 2011 the only notable player is Tennessee's selection Jurrell Casey (DT). So having a QB that you trust enough to be your backup for 2 season, who is paid a 3rd round rookie salary, and also net us a comparable pick in a draft class 3 years later that could have a better class of players to choice from or leverage in a trade for a future pick is a win if you ask me.

I don't think it's a great idea to hope to find lightning in a bottle again, it's essential for us to position ourselves with either a top 5 pick or the draft assets to get us there in either the 2016 or 2017 drafts. I know teams find QB's in later rounds but of all the NFL position QB seem to be draft accordingly.

I don't think it's a great idea to hope to find lightning in a bottle again, it's essential for us to position ourselves with either a top 5 pick or the draft assets to get us there in either the 2016 or 2017 drafts. I know teams find QB's in later rounds but of all the NFL position QB seem to be draft accordingly.

I think that you have a solid point, but the thought also exists that due to the difficulty to try and predict a QB in this system we may be able to find one a little deeper than some would imagine.

Of course it's very hard to argue with a sure thing prospect like an Andrew Luck etc--so it goes both ways.

I'd have a hard time imagining Belichick spending a 1st round pick on a future QB though, unless he really thought it would work out. I'm wondering if a 2nd round QB isn't our highest pick at the position? It may also help to temper the crazy expectations that would come with the selection of a 1st rounder, since Belichick has been known to make some moves in regard to helping to lower the pressure and expectations in the past.

Either way, I think that it'd be prudent to eventually select a higher round (1-3) QB selection, so we're definitely in agreement there. The main question of course would be specifically "when?"

Exactly.

When Steve Young replaced Joe Montana, he was league MVP during Montana's injury season; the Niners then chose Young over Montana when they had to decide. For that kind of quality of replacement, one MIGHT dump Brady. Aaron Rodgers/Favre was an even easier choice.

But the likelihood of Mallett sticking around until he eventually replaces Brady seems pretty low to me.

Why not? Rodgers stuck around. Young stuck around. And they were rewarded for their patience with the keys to the franchise. Even when Brady hangs them up, you've got to believe that the Pats will still have a solid foundation for success for whoever takes over after him. Mallet has proven nothing yet, I don't find it all that hard to believe that he'd want to stick around and have a chance to take over this club someday.

I'd have a hard time imagining Belichick spending a 1st round pick on a future QB though, unless he really thought it would work out. I'm wondering if a 2nd round QB isn't our highest pick at the position? It may also help to temper the crazy expectations that would come with the selection of a 1st rounder, since Belichick has been known to make some moves in regard to helping to lower the pressure and expectations in the past.

Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Colin Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick. And that's just talking in recent years. We all know where Brady was taken. You can get good QBs later on without having a top 5 pick. But you need really good scouting, confidence in your scouts to make that call, and just a bit of luck.

Everyone has told Mallett that he was a 1st round talent with character issues. He will have trained for four years under Brady. Why again would he sign on for another 5 years obscurity? Surely his agent thinks that there are teams out there that will at least give him an opportunity to compete for a starter position, and for some real money.

Mallet has proven nothing yet, I don't find it all that hard to believe that he'd want to stick around and have a chance to take over this club someday.

It's a misconception in my opinion to think that the Mallett pick will be a bad move if we don't receive higher than a 3rd round draft pick. If we're able to receive a 3rd for him in the 2014 draft I think it is actually an excellent selection.

If you look at the 3rd selections after Mallett in 2011 the only notable player is Tennessee's selection Jurrell Casey (DT). So having a QB that you trust enough to be your backup for 2 season, who is paid a 3rd round rookie salary, and also net us a comparable pick in a draft class 3 years later that could have a better class of players to choice from or leverage in a trade for a future pick is a win if you ask me.

This is correct -- you have to have a backup quarterback. It's a need. So the pick can't be measured just by what you eventually get for him. The reason his value dwindles (besides any on-field issues) is that he's only under contract this season and next. If they keep him this year, he's only a one year player after that. Why would a team give up a great pick for a one year player? You have to just look at it as "we got a player at a position of need for 4 years for only a 3rd round pick. After that, unable to sign him as a free agent." Happens all the time.

Everyone has told Mallett that he was a 1st round talent with character issues. He will have trained for four years under Brady. Why again would he sign on for another 5 years obscurity? Surely his agent thinks that there are teams out there that will at least give him an opportunity to compete for a starter position, and for some real money.

I believe that taking over a winning franchise like the Patriots, or the 49ers, or the Packers has a lot more meaning than say getting a shot with the Cincinnati Bengals.

I believe that taking over a winning franchise like the Patriots, or the 49ers, or the Packers has a lot more meaning than say getting a shot with the Cincinnati Bengals.

I'm pretty sure there is no way in hell that Andy Dalton would switch places with Ryan Mallet, and conversely, I'm pretty sure that Ryan Mallet would do pretty much anything to switch places with Andy Dalton.

This is a rediculous thread.

The only way Mallet is the Patriots future starting QB is if he winds up coming back here several years from now, after Brady retires.

He's either going to be traded (and I don't think that's happening) or he'll be a free agent next year and seek a team where he can compete for a starting position.

There's no way he's re-signing with the Patriots unless Brady retires tomorrow.

This is correct -- you have to have a backup quarterback. It's a need. So the pick can't be measured just by what you eventually get for him. The reason his value dwindles (besides any on-field issues) is that he's only under contract this season and next. If they keep him this year, he's only a one year player after that. Why would a team give up a great pick for a one year player? You have to just look at it as "we got a player at a position of need for 4 years for only a 3rd round pick. After that, unable to sign him as a free agent." Happens all the time.

If Mallett has a great preseason a team would trade for him for a number of reasons. To have him as their starter in 2014, to have the ability to franchise him the during FA if need be, to be able to negotiate the year before he hits the open market which would likely save them a ton of money, and most important to be able to assess him prior to opening up the check book. Look at the contract Seattle gave Flynn, it was unnoticed how poor a decision it was because of Wilson's rise, but it was not a good decision.

Also Matt Cassel was traded on a franchise tag so it's that did different.

This is a rediculous thread.

The only way Mallet is the Patriots future starting QB is if he winds up coming back here several years from now, after Brady retires.

He's either going to be traded (and I don't think that's happening) or he'll be a free agent next year and seek a team where he can compete for a starting position.

There's no way he's re-signing with the Patriots unless Brady retires tomorrow.

Hi Joe - Mallett might if he is given a 4-5 year deal at $5 - $8 million a year which is about what Brady gave back to the team under his current deal.

You never know....It is within the realm of possibilities.

But again - and it bears repeating - he has to show in the pre-season and during practice to get that kind of deal.

If he can provide the Patriots with the possibility of seamless transition at the quarterback position, it could be seen as a win-win for both Mallett and the Patriots.

This is the kind of financial and playing scenario that the Patriots may have envisioned for both Brady, Mallett and the overall success of the franchise to know that they have an Aaron Rodgers situation but with a starting quarterback that is certainly not having the kind of off-field and on-field issues that Favre had in the last few years of his career.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back