PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

Re: Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

You are failing to grasp that the last 3 years of Brady's deal are not guaranteed for performance, meaning if they prefer to keep Mallett, they can cut Brady next year without consequence.

While no one is suggesting Mallett will be on Brady's level next year (or ever), this coaching staff is not shy in letting older guys go to give young talented guys their shot. Reminder: Brady will be 37 next year.

They aren't cutting Brady for performance reasons unless he somehow becomes a complete noodle arm. Even worse than Peyton is right now.

Just got home from camp and although it was disappointing not seeing Aaron Dobson out there to continue his development, it was pleasing to the eye to see how much more confident Ryan Mallet is out there with his reads, accuracy and arm strength.

I have always been high on Ryan from day one and I know he has had his struggles at times the last couple of pre-seasons, but I am of the belief that we have to do whatever we have to do to keep him here.

TB isn't getting any younger and Mallet is ascending with his development. I believe he is going to have a great pre-season. I can't wait to see him in out there in a couple of weeks.

I know Ryan feels he's ready to play and he obviously doesn't want to wait until TB hangs em up so extending him will probably be tough, but I hope we do.

His delivery today on the deep comebacks and sideline fades were beautiful and
tight. What an arm this kid has, he just needs the reps to add to his growing confidence.

Last night he was shaky, today he's a world-beater :rolleyes: . We DO NOT KNOW what potential Mallett has until we see him perform consistently in game conditions with the first unit. All he's shown at any point in his young career is that he has a strong arm. His ability to make reads and make good decisions under pressure has not been confirmed in practice or elsewhere. The jury's still out on Mallett -- WAY out.

Dead money to cut Brady each offseason:
2014: $32.8M
2015: $25M
2016: $20M
2017: $15M

This is under the assumption that the last three years each becomes fully guaranteed at the end of the previous season, or the best case scenario for the Pats of the reports that are out there.

Again, as long as he is not injured, they can cut him next year and not pay the last 3 years.

They aren't cutting Brady for performance reasons unless he somehow becomes a complete noodle arm. Even worse than Peyton is right now.

My understanding of "performance" in this sense is that they can cut him because they want to keep another guy, they just can't cut him because he is injured. They don't have to prove that he is not performing to some standard in order to get out of the contract. Don't be surprised if the Pats opt to lock up Mallett at reasonable money over paying a 37-40 year old Brady $25M/year

Again, as long as he is not injured, they can cut him next year and not pay the last 3 years.
$6.8M 2014 prorated bonus from old contract
$6M 2014 prorated bonus from extension
$2M 2014 guaranteed salary
$6M 2015 prorated bonus from extension
$6M 2016 prorated bonus from extension
$6M 2017 prorated bonus from extension
$32.8M dead money

And I don't know where the hell you're getting $25M a year from. Brady's cap hit maxes out at $15M over the next five years.

We won't be thinking about a new starter for another 7 years.

I believe the children are our future...

In this case, probably some child in high school.

I'm still waiting for those two first round draft picks for Matt Cassell.

:beatingcoming:

Brian Hoyer and 2nd/3rd round pick rumors come to mind just the same.

At least in the case of Cassel, I can respect and understand those who felt that way. In that situation we at least saw a QB who had a pretty successful year against NFL caliber talent (albeit a weak schedule) as a starter. I never believed TWO first round picks myself, but can at least appreciate the thinking involved.

Hoyer and Mallett were just wishful thinking in my opinion, although I do think there's a chance for Mallett IF he shows some nice progression to bring a 3rd-4th round pick at some point between now and next summer.

I would think the odds of that happening are very, very low wouldn't you?

And if we're going to assume that the team has the next 2 seasons to decide the future of Mallett, then we may as well put all of the trade rumors to bed immediately because it can only be one or the other.

Brian Hoyer and 2nd/3rd round pick rumors come to mind just the same.

At least in the case of Cassel, I can respect and understand those who felt that way. In that situation we at least saw a QB who had a pretty successful year against NFL caliber talent (albeit a weak schedule) as a starter. I never believed TWO first round picks myself, but can at least appreciate the thinking involved.

Hoyer and Mallett were just wishful thinking in my opinion, although I do think there's a chance for Mallett IF he shows some nice progression to bring a 3rd-4th round pick at some point between now and next summer.

We really need Mallett to have a big preseason; I think if he does we could get as high as a mid 2nd rounder for him. On the flip side if he is even average I don't think we could get anything more then 3rd day pick for him, because any team that has interest in his upside will just wait out one more season and sign him in 15' offseason.

He needs to light it up and give another team a compelling reason to trade for him.

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

We really need Mallett to have a big preseason; I think if he does we could get as high as a mid 2nd rounder for him. On the flip side if he is even average I don't think we could get anything more then 3rd day pick for him, because any team that has interest in his upside will just wait out one more season and sign him in 15' offseason.

He needs to light it up and give another team a compelling reason to trade for him.

The best we can hope for is a Brady trade. Otherwise we aren't seeing chit for Mallett.

Brady on the other hand just signed very cheap for a few years. Arroyo anyone?

I love that dirty water, Boston you're my home!

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

Yet another example of why drugs are bad

And the sentence following was? "Otherwise we aren't seeing "chit" for Mallett."

Do I want to see Brady leave? Hell no. Do I think we would get anything for Mallett next year, save a Cassel manage the season type performance amidst disaster; absolutely not. Hence, my stance on the Mallett value spectrum, if you deem him the next Rodgers, you trade an incredibly cap friendly Brady while you can. This would be Mallett's time to shine. If not now, then certainly the sentiment would apply next year. I guess we will find out if/when we Draft a tall, lanky, "gamer" in the sixth next year :p.

I never said I thought Brady should be dumped, I simply said Brady would hold far more potential in trade, when realistically the team needs to be actively considering a future without him. Is Tf'nB a better option than Mallett today? Absolutely. I don't think anyone would argue that. But I would assume we could get far more for the GOAT next year with the team friendly deal, than any team would part ways with for Mallett/"Florida's chosen boy." (Ok, maybe Jax would puke up a second for Tim, simply for the home town mega-crowd draw!)

I don't think that we can compare any other veteran cuts/trades such as Bernie Kosar, Drew Bledsoe, Lawyer Milloy, or Richard Seymour to the situation of a once in a lifetime instant HOF player like Tom Brady.

He represents the franchise on so many different levels. He started his career here and he'll almost certainly finish his career here. Even if he were to somehow go downhill in the quickest manner possible, I still think they'd come to some kind of reasonable agreement for retirement. I'm not suggesting that Belichick would keep him if it'd make the team weaker, but I am suggesting that you really can't compare any past decisions of players to that of Tom Brady. He's completely different in my opinion.

Any talk of comparison to the Bledsoe/Brady situation is completely ridiculous unless the exact same situation of serious injury came up, and that would obviously have to be followed with a successful campaign from Ryan Mallett that likely led to a SB berth. The chances of all of that happening in the same manner are extremely slim.

To this point Mallett has not shown a damn thing. Nothing at all vs NFL talent in live game reps.

That's probably the best case that we can hope for, since Brady's career seems to be far from over at this point. Even if Belichick honestly thought that Mallett could be the next great QB it'd be difficult to retain him after next season in my opinion, just due to the unknown of what they'd pay him.

And even after next season Brady may still have another 2-3 yrs left in him, which would make keeping Mallett a pretty unlikely possibility. As others have pointed out, there's really no use even trying to predict who the next franchise QB will be here, because there's a good chance that we have never even heard of him.

You always want to have a good team in case the starter goes down, but you can't pay two QBs starting money just so you have a good backup. If we're assuming that Mallett is a future starting QB, then he's not going to come back cheap.

But that is the beauty of the Brady contract. His pay in 2015 and beyond is as much as a very good backup would command and no more. So you could pay a #1, Mallett or someone else, good money; and pay TB too, until he hangs up his cleats. Only if the #1 is a Top5 and can command such a salary, would it get awkward. But such a situation is unlikely, to occur immediately.

And the sentence following was? "Otherwise we aren't seeing "chit" for Mallett."

Do I want to see Brady leave? Hell no. Do I think we would get anything for Mallett next year, save a Cassel manage the season type performance amidst disaster; absolutely not. Hence, my stance on the Mallett value spectrum, if you deem him the next Rodgers, you trade an incredibly cap friendly Brady while you can. This would be Mallett's time to shine. If not now, then certainly the sentiment would apply next year. I guess we will find out if/when we Draft a tall, lanky, "gamer" in the sixth next year :p.

I never said I thought Brady should be dumped, I simply said Brady would hold far more potential in trade, when realistically the team needs to be actively considering a future without him. Is Tf'nB a better option than Mallett today? Absolutely. I don't think anyone would argue that. But I would assume we could get far more for the GOAT next year with the team friendly deal, than any team would part ways with for Mallett/"Florida's chosen boy." (Ok, maybe Jax would puke up a second for Tim, simply for the home town mega-crowd draw!)

The general "trade Brady" is going to get a "drugs are bad" unless/until Brady shows significant decline. It's something that's SOP for me, and should be for everyone. "Trade Brady" notions should still only occur in "Would you trade Brady for Luck?" types of conversations, IMO.

I'll weigh in again, the Mallett delusion is growing.

-He still looks nervous and his decision making is way off, this will be noticeable in preseason. We will be welcomed by his 20 yard overthrows as well.

-No team thought of trading a 1st-2nd round pick for him in the worst QB class of the decade. No team will give up anything next year in arguably the best QB class of the decade.

-Mallett is not the successor to Brady. Mallett is not the successor to Brady. Mallett is not the successor to Brady.

The Brady successor is either a true freshman in college or a senior in HS.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back